Would you attend a pro gun rally?

PDA

gunsmith
February 12, 2004, 11:26 PM
Jim Peel,Labgrade and I tried to organize a THR protest at airports
a protest against TSA foot dragging on Armed Pilots.

No one seems to give a hoot!?

It seems to me that the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"
Protest have helped the left push their anti gun agenda
on an unwitting public,why not fight fire with fire?

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you attend a pro gun rally?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Michigander
February 13, 2004, 12:18 AM
It depends...

Would I end up on a list of suspected terrorists under the PA?

yayarx7
February 13, 2004, 12:23 AM
which answer equals yes?

Blue Jays
February 13, 2004, 12:32 AM
Good Evening All-

Took a trip to Washington, D.C. a couple of years ago for a big pro-RKBA rally and it was pretty bad. Many of the folks with whom I chatted were not particularly sophisticated or well-spoken....sitting ducks for some gun-grabbing newspaper reporter to "corner." Especially touching were people wearing tee-shirts that read, "F*ck You, HCI!"

Meanwhile, my father and I were there in our khakis, pressed golf shirts, and polished shoes...shaking our heads.

I would be willing to give another rally a try, but I sincerely hope we have learned a few lessons during the past decade on how to win the hearts and souls of regular Americans as well as how to interact with the media.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

p.s. The poll was a joke, right? There are no good answers....

Austin Charles
February 13, 2004, 12:37 AM
Blue Jays

My thoughts exactly,

A well thought out rally with some really good speakers could make a difference.

A hand full of good speakers and a boat load of supporters would make a difference.

Bigjake
February 13, 2004, 12:40 AM
why is there no yes answer on the pole?

voilsb
February 13, 2004, 12:46 AM
It depends ...

because right now, I have no car, no job, and a total of $4 in the bank.

If someone else will help me get there, yeah I think I'd do it.

But I gotta say I never even heard of the one you reference in your post.

Evil_Ed
February 13, 2004, 01:03 AM
Put a "Yes" answer into the poll and I'll vote. I've been to two major state rallys in Florida where we went to the capitol en masse to let the politicians know that RKBA supporters are a large force in this state. I was amazed at the sheer number of people there and it was fun trying to figure out who was packing and where they were packing (wasn't a legal issue as we were in a public park in front of the capitol building).

gunsmith
February 13, 2004, 01:24 AM
you can post your own poll:p

HunterGatherer
February 13, 2004, 03:39 AM
BTDT

I ain't no stinkin' hippie.

lol

StuporDave
February 13, 2004, 09:02 AM
A pro-gun rally aimed at local/state/federal gov't to protect our 2A rights, yes I would attend.

Protesting the TSA at the airport? With the TSA's reputation, you could probably come out of that one a felon.

The TSA does not answer to, or apparently have any regard for, the people. They answer to congress and the President. Seems like that's where protests about them should be directed.

Dave

Sisco
February 13, 2004, 10:13 AM
I voted "it depends" depends on time, location and cause.

Tall Man
February 13, 2004, 10:14 AM
...as I've done before.

About 2 years ago, I attended a pro-2nd Amendment rally in the Rotunda of my state Capitol building.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that John Lott was to be one of the featured speakers. He spoke articulately, cordially, and a bit dryly -- which is to say, the man speaks in the same manner in which he writes.

It was sobering to hear the testimony of a woman who was assaulted, kidnapped, and raped during the early 1990s. As you may guess, it was the presence of a pistol that accomodated her escape from that hellish event. This person was at the rally to protest any efforts to compromise her access to firearms. She was full of piss and vinegar (rightly so!) , but her anger was just so overwhelming that it buried the pragmatism of her message. [I would have vetted every speaker's abilities that day, regardless of their personal circumstances.]

It was most refreshing and comforting to listen to the pro-2nd legislators speak, especially when the most outspoken advocate was a woman!

TM

Drjones
February 13, 2004, 08:46 PM
Uh....in your little poll you forgot to include a check box for "HELL YES I'D BE THERE AND YELLING LOUDLY!"

Maybe that's why your rally failed? ;)

:neener:

To answer the question, I'd check the box I mentioned.

71Commander
February 13, 2004, 09:06 PM
I am a smelly hippie

BHPshooter
February 13, 2004, 09:49 PM
Where is the answer for "Yes, rain or shine, snow or sleet, brimstone or venerial diseases."

If I can make it to one, I'll be to one.

Wes

gunsmith
February 14, 2004, 12:54 AM
I posted that prior to my surgery today and I wasn't in the best of moods.
the operation was sucsess,and seeing your replies really cheered me up.

T.F.H
February 14, 2004, 11:45 AM
Howdy all.

Watt about the NRA would they help organize one?.

And yes I would come if not to fare away.

Todd

Ninj500
February 14, 2004, 12:02 PM
Considering I organized three "open carry defense walks" in Ohio and a protest at one of Governor Taft's fundraisers I would have to say yes.
Combiined around 400 people attended the events so many pro-gun people will show up.

SAG0282
February 14, 2004, 12:19 PM
Yes.

JeepDriver
February 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
Yes.

Took that day off of work for one the other day.

general
February 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
Would I hafta' get a hair cut? :neener: (or two?)
I can just hear it now...
"I went to the airport... and a pro gun rally broke out!"
Of course I'd go.. even take off work to go..(Yes, Billary..I do have a J.O.B)

71Commander
February 14, 2004, 08:23 PM
Hey General. Here's a thought. Let's not get a hair cut and go to a rally carrying signs for the anti's. I can see it now. "Long haired bikers against CCW laws" or "Keep the sheep un-armed". It would have to generate some support for the CCW group:D

Zundfolge
February 14, 2004, 08:50 PM
I said "It Depends" because it depends on who organized the rally ... if it was NRA or GOA or some reputable local or state RKBA organization then I'd probably show up ... but if WAR or some other group of wackos put together the rally I'd try to be across town.

HunterGatherer
February 14, 2004, 09:20 PM
"Long haired bikers against CCW laws" or "Keep the sheep un-armed". :evil:

Combat-wombat
February 14, 2004, 09:52 PM
I have always wanted to attend a gun rights rally, in fact I have even suggested one (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17033) but obviously, noone was intrested. Anytime someone wants to do a pro-gun rally in CA, I'd be more than willing to participate.

armabill
February 14, 2004, 10:24 PM
Yes, I would go and have gone to three. 2 in Washington, D.C. and 1 in Harrisburg, Pa.

DFBonnett
February 15, 2004, 08:53 PM
The problem with that type of rally is the fact that if there were 1000 attendees and 999 were CPAs in grey suits and one beer-bellied bubba in dirty cammies, the media would interview Bubba and not show anyone else.

armabill
February 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
Actually the rallies that I attended, I didn't see any suits worn. Just casual wear.

jimpeel
February 15, 2004, 09:55 PM
What we are attempting to get together is NOT a rally. We are attempting to get enough people together to have 3-5 people at each airport handing out leaflets at the entry to the secure area. Otherwise it would take 25-50 at each airport to hand them out at the entrances or check-in counters. We would like to hit at least 10 major airports throughout the U.S.

New York (Kennedy), L.A. (LAX), D.C (Reagan), San Francisco (SFX), Boston (Logan), Dallas (DFW), Denver (DIA), Chicago (O'Hare), San Diego (Lindberg), Miami (Miami, Intl.), etc. as examples.

The object is this: We don't want screamers, we don't want camos, we don't want TRT tee shirts, we don't want banners, we don't want signage.

What we do want is upscale casual dress, a courteous demeanor, a knowledge of the current situation for those who wish to speak to us, and the ability to hand each person a simple piece of paper with a smile, a "have a good flight", and a "your welcome" to those expressing thanks.

This is not a protest.

This is not a rally.

This is an information campaign that will take place on a single day for as long as the leaflets last; or we get thrown off the property.

As to that last bit: They have no right to throw us off of the property as a reading of PRUNEYARD SHOPPING CENTER v. ROBINS, 447 U.S. 74 (1980) (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=447&invol=74) will show. If they do throw us off of the property, they are liable for civil and criminal penalties for doing so.

We have that covered, also. If they throw us off, we can sue them for a civil rights violation under the tenets of Pruneyard.

You guys are merely the tip of the iceberg when it comes to reluctance. Of all of the groups I have contacted, SAF, JPFO, GOA, NRA, FFF Board, and GOAL only JPFO had someone respond to me. Even at that, all that was offered was a very good critique of the verbiage of the leaflet. Based on that critique, I changed the text.

That's it.

No offers of help.

No offers of materials.

No offers of legal help.

No offers of anything.

So far, I've got three -- COUNT 'EM -- three people who are willing to take one day of their weekend to do this.

And that's why there was no "yes" choice.

I have yet to contact ALPA (Air Line Pilots Assn) but if they are anything like the others I have contacted, we are on our own.

geegee
February 15, 2004, 10:50 PM
I'm 20 minutes from DFW and ready to go. geegee

jimpeel
February 15, 2004, 11:33 PM
Okay, that's four. Anyone else game to do this?

Bigjake
February 15, 2004, 11:44 PM
tell me what i need to know here hbaus2004@attbi.com , and i'll see if i can round up some help and hit cleveland.

jimpeel
February 16, 2004, 02:12 AM
Hopefully, that's five people and four airports.

Any more out there?

jimpeel
February 16, 2004, 02:21 PM
Hopefully, I just picked up a sixth person who can handle Colorado Springs Airport.

Can I get some people outside CO? NY? Chicago? Boston? Ft. Lauderdale? LAX? Philly?

DFW, Cleveland, SFX, DIA are hopefully handled.

Any more?

Drjones
February 16, 2004, 03:49 PM
"Keep the sheep un-armed".

I NEED a shirt with that on it.

jimpeel
February 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
I NEED a shirt with that on it.Go to the mall and have one made. Just don't wear it to the airport protest if you decide to participate. We want the press to focus on the message on the leaflet, not the ones on the tee shirts.

Black92LX
February 16, 2004, 05:06 PM
i attended a couple of open carry rallies here in Ohio in support for CCW. They were all well attended. Very good time and i believe they played a big role in finally getting CCW passed here in Ohio.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you attend a pro gun rally?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!