.22 Ammo

PDA

rduchateau2954
March 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
I searched for ammo sites for 500rd packs of ammo for the deuce deuce.

I am going to avoid winchester and I just finished with a big box of blazer so I want to try something different.

Here is what I found:

www.ammunitiontogo.com

Fiocchi 40gr - 22.95
Eley Sport 40gr - 26.95

www.sgammo.com
CCI Standard 40gr - 26.95
AGUILA 40gr - 23.50

cheaperthandirt.com
Armscor 36gr - 22.19

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
March 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
Is there a question in there somewhere?

rduchateau2954
March 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
Lol yea, what brand should I get?

RalphS
March 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
What do you want it for?

For target shooting, CCI Std Vel is very good out to 50 yards.

btg3
March 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
What purpose do you have in mind? Remember that old saying: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there." ;)

Walkalong
March 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
I like the Federal Auto Match (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130410/federal-automatch-target-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-case-of-3250-10-boxes-of-325). It shoots 4 times better groups out of my .22's than the bulk 550 round boxes of Federal ammo, but is still a lot cheaper than buying the 50 round boxes of premium stuff.

BIGGBAY90
March 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
See which works best in your gun but they all may shoot ok (not sure about eley sports-never used it)

Twmaster
March 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
If price is a concern Wal-Mart, Academy, Cabela's, Bass-Pro etc all have ~500 round boxes from all the big players for less than $20 a box on the shelf.

My Marlin 22's do not seem to like Remington or Winchester. CCI always works well. Even the cheap bulk Federal works well in my Marlins.

JWJacobVT
March 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Try http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rimfire&cal=91&grains=0&mfg=&keywords=&sortby=cpr

Unless I am shooting a match, I shoot the cheap stuff. Eley sport is ok , for matches I like tenex, when somebody else buys it.

RalphS
March 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
I believe that Eley Sport is made in Mexico by Aquila.

Ky Larry
March 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
If you have any questions about rimfires or anything pertaining to rimfires, try these folks. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com

No4Mk1*
March 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
I prefer Federal copper plated. It leaves my hands much cleaner.

bandk
March 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
What do you want it for?

For target shooting, CCI Std Vel is very good out to 50 yards.
what would you suggest for 50+ yards?

9mmepiphany
March 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
Wolf MT (Match/Target)

For the OP - of the choices you have presented, I'd likely go with the CCI standard vel or the Eley Sport. The Eley Sport is their entry level offering for a practice ammo.

What you should really do is buy a couple of boxes (100rds) of everything you can find, test them out in your gun and see which brand it likes...then just buy 5000 rounds and not have to worry about it for a while.

I shoot a lot of CCI MiniMags because it seems to run the most reliably in rimfire conversions for my handguns

writerinmo
March 12, 2012, 12:45 AM
I guess I'm lucky, I have a local sporting goods store that seems to have Blazer on sale all the time for $13.99 a brick, which may explain why I have so many of them. If it happens to not be on sale there, there's a farm and feed place that has it for $17.99

LANDMAN4389
March 12, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have a good supply of Federal Bulk .22lr (550 ct boxes) and it has been reliable. I usually save my CCI and shoot the other for plinking. I'd stay away from Remington, I feel the same about Winchester except for their subsonic rounds.

I shot some Armscor recently and had no problems with it but I think I'll stick to Federal, it's cheap and reliable.

Furncliff
March 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
:uhoh:I must be crazy... I just counted the different kinds of .22 rimfire ammo I have in my stash, exactly 20.:uhoh:

exavid
March 12, 2012, 01:19 AM
I've tried several different brands in my 10/22 that I use for adult small bore competition at my club. Federal Target Grade in the 320 round box at Wallmart shoots tighter groups in my rifle and in my Buckmark I use for Bullseye shooting than Ely match, Wolf or any of the high price stuff. I use Federal 520 bulk pack for general plinking. Winchester super X doesn't work well in my Buckmark target pistol, FTE, FTF which I never see with any other ammo. Remington ammo seems pretty dirty compared to most other that I've tried. CCI Blazer is good stuff for me but it doesn't shoot as small groups as the Federal Target Grade.

bannockburn
March 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have found overall Federal Auto Match works very well through my rimfire pistols and rifles. By that I mean it's reliable and is fairly accurate. For better reliability and greater accuracy I use CCI MiniMags and Wolf Match Target.

ultradoc
March 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
I shot my friend's Walther P-22. I used the bulk Federal pack and out of about 30 rds. I had 4 FTF.

303tom
March 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
I get 500 count bricks from Midway for 20 bucks all the time.............

Remllez
March 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Federal auto match works very well for me as well, I have a couple pistols that shoot Blazer accurately, or CCI Standard if I want to splurge.

RalphS
March 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

I used to shoot a lot of small bore metallic silhouette competitions with an Anschutz 1712. Up to about 60 meters, CCI Std Vel was good enough. Out to 100 meters, I used Wolf Match Target.

Once you get serious about the game, you would usually move up to the better grades of Eley, but most people, especially for practice, used WMT or CCI.

22-rimfire
March 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
22 Ammo....???

For me, it depends on what I am using the ammunition for.

I plink with bulk pack stuff like Federal as well as Federal 510B's (Walmart). I keep a wide assortment of brands in my 22 cache for testing and shooting. If I am looking for higher precision (within some reasonable cost constraints), I generally choose Wolf MT or Match Extra.

Price does matter in general when it comes to 22 LR ammunition. The more you pay, generally the more consistantly it will shoot and thus exhibit higher percision (accuracy). But sometimes a particular gun will shoot the less expensive stuff fairly well. But you really pay for a couple 1/10ths of an inch in group size improvement.

Of the ones you listed, I would choose CCI Standard Velocity first.

I have not tried out the Armscor stuff yet. I read that it is pretty average.

Most of the ammo you listed is the cheaper promotional ammunition offerings of the various companies (excluding CCI SV).

You need to buy some of each and shoot it in your rifle/handgun, but the differences really show up from a rifle for me. Maybe I do more plinking with handguns and don't see the difference as much.... Try an assortment out and see what works best in your particular gun. Accuracy exhibited by your rifle should demonstrate which brands tend to shoot better on average. Then you can settle in buying what seems to shoot the best for you. Take notes.

Day in-Day out, I prefer CCI HV (Mini Mags) and CCI SV. But I buy and shoot a lot of Federal Lightning (510B) from Walmart. Many have very good luck with the Federal Auto Match. For most of my shooting, the 510's are good enough. They are similar to the Blazer ammo with the difference being primarily Federal loads the 510's and CCI loads the Blazer. Both are owned by ATK.

Flopsweat
March 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
The suggestions for 50 yards plus are great, but bear in mind that every gun likes different ammo - especially 22's. Anything but the cheapest stuff (and even some of that) will give you 2" groups out to 50 yards. If you want 1" groups at 100 yards (and have a very accurate rifle), I'd suggest that you buy a box of each of a few of the suggested brands and try them. Some of the really serious target shooters will even find a particular run number of a particular brand that works exceptionally well and order case lots of them by run number if they can. For some reason, my favorite 22 will shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards with American Eagle CPHP. It's way cheaper than Wolf, Auto Match and CCI, so I use it a lot. This summer I'm going to try Ely Match just to see what the fuss is all about.

rduchateau2954
March 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. This is a good discussion. I picked up a box of 550pk of federal at wally world today and noticed it was a buck cheaper at Fleet Farm but oh well.

I will try every different kind of ammo but I had never heard of Elay, aguila, or armscor. I also didn't know that fiocchi made rimfire ammo. I have used their 12ga ammo before.

CZguy
March 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
Federal bulk pac shoots pretty well out of a couple of my .22. Out of a five shoot group, three or four of them are clover leafed at fifty yards, but every single group has one or two fliers. It's perfectly good ammo for plinking, but if you want more consistent accuracy you'll need to try different ammo's to find what your rifle likes. As many others have said.

gilbolter@live.com
March 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
have a 500rd pag federal 1in 10 is missfireing case to fireing pin well marked. same gun 500rd pag rem no miss fires

22-rimfire
March 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Not sure what "pag" is. But I am surprised by your observation about Federal versus Remington. The Remington 22 ammo almost always has more duds. Maybe your Remington ammo was old as their quality seems to have declined in the last 10 years. I think the Remington Golden Bullets often shoot more consistantly than some Federal, but the duds sort of get to ya after a while.

btg3
March 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
Remington gives me duds also. None with CCI or Federal. CCI seems cleaner than Federal.

mberoose
March 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
CCI for me, also had good luck with Aguila. My Marlin also isn't a fan of Winchester bulk stuff.

CZguy
March 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Of the bulk ammo, my .22s tend to like Federal, shoot Remington's pretty well (even though it's very dirty) and the bolt actions shoot Winchester OK but with more flyer's then the others.

CCI hi or lo velocity is the gold standard of plinking ammo to me. Very consistent, and it always works.

Just one more thought......I've never met a .22 that I didn't like. I guess that thought was brought on by the fact that it's warm here and I'm going shooting tomorrow. :)

pseudonymity
March 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
I like Fed Automatch for my semis, it seems to feed and have fewer FTF/FTE than other bulk brands I have tried for a just a few bucks more a box. Accuracy with it is pretty good also in my rifles.

The CCI SV shoots way beyond its price for me. Yesterday I was out with a new Savage I just picked up and when I was finished sighting in the new scope I shot a group at 25yds. I thought something had worked loose when I could not see my group after the first three rounds - sure enough there was just one hole. The next two went in to another hole, intersecting the first hole. Just 25yds I know, but I had to leave the range before I could setup at 50yds and 100.

RalphS
March 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
The best I've ever done was 10 rounds into a 1 inch group at 100 yards. That was with Wolf Match Target using a 10/22T benchrest rifle with a Kidd trigger group. I've never gotten better than that even using Eley Match or Tenex. My 10/22T likes WMT.

But WMT will also throw some fliers. The serious 22 shooters usually are using Eley Match or Tenex.

rduchateau2954
March 12, 2012, 06:51 PM
Shot around 300 rounds out of that box of federals I picked up today. Found 8 rounds with loose bullets.

I don't know if it was the humidity (occasional sprinkles) or the ammo but 300 rounds was all I could shoot. My marlin 60 got so gummed up I started to have cycling problems. It had about 100 rounds of blazer through it from the day before.

I noticed the same thing as you CZGuy, I had some fliers. I know when I pulled a couple of them but I know at least 3 where off their mark.

At 25yrds (disregard the SKS holes)
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Guns/100_0209-1.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Guns/100_0208-1.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Guns/100_0207-1.jpg

The group in the high center was intentional
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Guns/100_0206-1.jpg

50yrds - This is when I started getting jams and it threw me off.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Guns/100_0210-1.jpg

CZguy
March 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
rduchateau2954,

Stop by Rimfire Central for tips on cleaning and lubing a model 60. They should run for six months to a year in between cleanings. (Unless you shoot a bunch of Remington ammo)

rduchateau2954
March 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
rduchateau2954,

Stop by Rimfire Central for tips on cleaning and lubing a model 60. They should run for six months to a year in between cleanings. (Unless you shoot a bunch of Remington ammo)
Interesting. I will check that out.

CZguy
March 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
I started this thread for you.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3921874#post3921874

rduchateau2954
March 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
I started this thread for you.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3921874#post3921874
Thanks! I wandered over there. Turns out I am already a member.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

Vector
March 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
Of the bulk ammo, my .22s tend to like Federal, shoot Remington's pretty well (even though it's very dirty) and the bolt actions shoot Winchester OK but with more flyer's then the others.

CCI hi or lo velocity is the gold standard of plinking ammo to me. Very consistent, and it always works.

Just one more thought......I've never met a .22 that I didn't like. I guess that thought was brought on by the fact that it's warm here and I'm going shooting tomorrow. :)

I feel the same way about CCI and wish I could find some bulk ammo from them locally. Instead I just find it in 50 rounds. Still I never worry about jamming or FTF's.

pockets
March 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
My .22LR preferences for general use are nothing fancy:
CCI Mini-Mag 100-packs (I stock both solid or HP)
CCI Blazer 500-round bulk packs - I buy 3-4 bricks whenever Vance's has them on sale.
Federal/Walmart 550-round bulk packs - cheap thrills & works fine in many of my .22's.

My 'specialty' .22 preferences are:
CCI CB shorts and/or CB Longs in 100-round packs.
Colibri (standard) in 500-round bricks (I always keep 2-3 bricks on-hand)
Colibri Super in 500-round bricks (I always keep 2-3 bricks on-hand)
Aquila .22 Short Hi-Vel

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!