working up a load

PDA

C2C
March 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Hi , I'm new to the reload game and have a couple questions . I started loading for my 22-250 ... using 55 gr. Hornady SP , 38GR. h 380 POWDER .. The first 3 shot group of this produces a straight line across the target at the desired height but an inch apart .. Is it just me ? Where do I go from here without burning lots of powder and time back and forth to the range ..

If you enjoyed reading about "working up a load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old krow
March 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
I'd look into "incremental load development." It's probably one of the more efficient ways to develop rifle loads. Here's (http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manuals/incredload.pdf) a link to it.

The short version is; start at the low end of your charge table and work up incrementally. You can decide the space of your increments, but .3 or .4 is usually what I use. You'll end up loading probably 20-30 rounds and shoot them one at a time until you've shot them all, then look for the best consecutive group of shots.

I usually give my barrel a few minutes to cool down between shots and I use a weighted rest. Your rifle will let you know when its happy.

NCsmitty
March 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
The first 3 shot group of this produces a straight line across the target at the desired height but an inch apart ..

I doubt that the grouping has anything to do with your component selection, it's more likely that you have a bedding issue or a forearm that is putting pressure on the barrel.
Maybe even a scope or mount problem.
Lateral dispersion of shots with that spacing indicate something else is going on.

I should ask if you have fired any factory ammo, and if the rifle has shot well before the handloads?

NCsmitty

If you enjoyed reading about "working up a load" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!