Trouble finding #3 buckshot load data

PDA

jeeptim
March 12, 2012, 12:38 AM
New to reloading shot shell don't think i will be much but I am all set up and have about 10lb of #3 buck shot all done with with clay loads.
Powder hopper is full of red dot but can switch.
Any idea where i can find some good data the books i have and alliants site dont list buckshot,

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble finding #3 buckshot load data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
35 Whelen
March 12, 2012, 01:37 AM
You need a Lyman Shotshell loading manual. Very comprehensive. If you can't find data, I've loaded buckshot by simply weighing the number of pellets that the shotcup will hold. For example, #3 buck weighs about 24 grs. per pellet, so 21 pellets would weigh about 1 1/8 oz. , which is a standard trap load that can be loaded with Red Dot. Choose a load based on this.
Another thing to consider is whether or not the pellets will "nest" properly in layer. In your case, it'd be perfect in a 12 ga. if you could put 3 pellets per layer, with 7 layers, which would be 21 pellets. Or it might work out with 4 pellets per layer and 5 layers which would be 20 pellets.

Hope this helps.

35W

gamestalker
March 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
First we need some more information.

Most importantly, what ga. are you wanting to load?
What hulls do you have?
How long are your hulls, 2 1/2", 2 3/4", 3" 3, 1/2"?

I have a whole lot of data for 12 ga., a fair amount of 20 ga., and some 10 ga.. All of the data is of manufacturer origin, and also covers most hulls currently, and previously in production.

#3 buck should be pretty straight forward to load if I'm correct. I don't think it will require any cards or base wads. But first get those specifics to me so I can search out a few loads you can try, and maybe some tips if you would like.

jeeptim
March 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Loading 12ga 2 3/4 waa12 wad also have cardboard and cork and plastic.
Thanx

gamestalker
March 14, 2012, 02:04 AM
I still need a few more detail. What length of case are you loading, what the load weight are you interested in.

Just off the top of my head I think I remember using a WAA12F114 for 27 pellets of #4 buck some years back for spring turkey. But don't use that information until we further decide what you've got, and what you want to load specifically.

35 Whelen
March 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
The fact that the OP states that the powder hopper is full of Red Dot tells us two things: He's very likely loading 12 ga. 2 3/4" hulls. I checked the Lyman Shotshell manual and there's no data for #3 buck in 12 ga.

35W

If you enjoyed reading about "Trouble finding #3 buckshot load data" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!