SW used Md. 10

PDA

Okiegunner
March 12, 2012, 01:45 AM
There seem to be some used S/W md. 10, round and square butts out there for sale (wow!! used police? in this day and age?, really?)

Does anyone know anything about these? Where did they come from? What sights have them for sale? Sorry guys, if this has been answered many times.

I usually post on the autoloader thread sight. Sig 2340, Tanfoglio Force, Beretta, Springfiel XDm, etc.

Buit for what I have heard, a nice SW Md. 10 at $270 or so...I'm a buyer.

Thanks much for your input...

Gunner

If you enjoyed reading about "SW used Md. 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
toivo
March 12, 2012, 02:06 AM
I have a Model 64 and a Model 10 that I bought from J&G. I paid around $250 each a few years back, but the prices seem to be climbing up.

My understanding is that these are turn-ins from armored car companies, not police departments. Both the ones I got were in good mechanical order but cosmetically a bit rough. The 64 just had some honest holster wear and a few nicks and scratches, but the Model 10 has about a quarter-sized patch on the right side just behind the cylinder that looks like somebody was scratching at it with the edge of a coin. Maybe the previous owner had a nervous habit? :rolleyes:

I don't see any Model 10s on their site now. Looks like this is what $270 will get you from J&G:

http://www.jgsales.com/smith-wesson-model-64-38spl-4in-stainless,-square-butt-w-bobbed-hammer.-very-good-condition-s-w-p-3103.html

Driftwood Johnson
March 12, 2012, 02:51 AM
Howdy

There are always used Model 10s on the market as well as their predecessor, the 38 Military and Police. Unfortunately they are often going for $400 or more, but I saw several good ones at a major show yesterday going for under $300. I checked out a couple for around $275 that I would have grabbed in a minute if I didn't already have so many. Not too long ago, $200-$250 was typical for a good used Model 10.

The best price I ever got on a used S&W was $125 a few years ago for the Model 10 at the bottom of these photos. I don't recall now just which dash it is, but I think it was made around 1968, so that should make it a 10-6. This one has armorer's numbers stamped on the left side of the frame. I do not know where it came from, always assumed it was from a local police department.

These photos are a pretty good illustration of the minor differences between a Military and Police and a Model 10. Both have four inch pencil barrels. The M&P has a half moon front sight, long throw hammer, and five screws (one hidden under the top of the grip, and one in front of the trigger guard). The Model 10 is a three screw, with a serrated front sight and a short throw hammer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/smith%20and%20wesson/fourinchsmiths_02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Driftwood_Johnson/smith%20and%20wesson/fourinchsmiths.jpg

Old Fuff
March 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
...but the Model 10 has about a quarter-sized patch on the right side just behind the cylinder that looks like somebody was scratching at it with the edge of a coin.

This is usually caused when the revolver was carried in a cheap holster that had a safety strap with a snap. The snap was rivited, with the rivited part on the inside not covered. Over time the gun rubbed against it, and you can see the result.

Diamondback
March 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Arguably the most versatile handgun ever produced, the 4" model 10, and it's variants can still be found at bargain basement prices with a bit of patience. If one were new to the sport of shooting, or were limited to just one handgun there isn't a better choice than a solid S&W model 10. Classic in every way...they are the "everyman's" handgun that will serve one reliably in just about any circumstance. Load it with mild wadcutters and you can have fun punching paper all day, while honing your skill. Switch to just about any good +p hollow point and with the 4" barrel you will get reliable self-defense capability. Many's the household down through the decades that relied, and still relies, on the affordability, simplicity, effectiveness and versatility of the 4" model 10.

- regards

toivo
March 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
..but the Model 10 has about a quarter-sized patch on the right side just behind the cylinder that looks like somebody was scratching at it with the edge of a coin. This is usually caused when the revolver was carried in a cheap holster that had a safety strap with a snap. The snap was rivited, with the rivited part on the inside not covered. Over time the gun rubbed against it, and you can see the result.
That makes sense. I asked my gunsmith if it was worth trying to cold-blue that spot, and he said no, it would probably make it look worse. Then instead of some scratches, I'd have a big dark blob that didn't match the rest of the finish. I'll leave it just as it is -- it has "character." :rolleyes:

dillardrg
March 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
I believe Robertson's Trading Post still has some Ohio Prison Systems trade in Model 64s available. They were asking $260 to 290 + $10 shipping depending on condition. Their ads were on gunsamerica.com .

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz305/dillardrg/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20K%20Frames/Model64Triplets002.jpg

W.E.G.
March 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Australian police department has been unloading them at Bud's Gun shop most recently.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545790

toivo
March 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Australian police department has been unloading them at Bud's Gun shop most recently.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411545790

This gun is not legal in Calif.

Say what? A Smith & Wesson Model 10? Why in the name of *#^#$&*^&* would a Model 10 not be legal?

Old Fuff
March 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
Say what? A Smith & Wesson Model 10? Why in the name of *#^#$&*^&* would a Model 10 not be legal?

California is well... ah.... substantially to the left of the rest of us. Those that live there don't have a free choice. They have to buy only those handguns that are ... well ... approved. Manufacturers have to pay to get they're products approved, and pass some tests that are not inflicted on anyone else in the country that I know of. I was amazed to learn that ordinary folks cannot go to auctions and buy handguns – only FFL dealers can bid.

But anyway to answer your question, you can’t buy a S&W model 10 because the government will not let you, and the powers-in-charge don’t believe that the Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment applies to them. Hopefully some day somebody will show them different. :banghead:

dscampbell
March 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
There was a bill in the works that would have allowed people to buy used weapons not on the roster. It failed to pass. Once again the powers that be ignored the rights of the rest of us.

Old Fuff
March 13, 2012, 12:12 AM
Once again the powers that be ignored the rights of the rest of us.

Indeed! And their attitude is not limited to firearms. I don't believe there is anything in a person's life they don't want to intrude in. From their perspective the only Constitutional Right that you have is to do what they tell you to do.

toivo
March 13, 2012, 01:55 AM
California is well... ah.... substantially to the left of the rest of us. Those that live there don't have a free choice. They have to buy only those handguns that are ... well ... approved. Manufacturers have to pay to get they're products approved, and pass some tests that are not inflicted on anyone else in the country that I know of
Well, yeah, I know about the anti-gun hysteria of the Left Coast, but usually they have some sort of reason, as bogus as it may be, like "no magazine safety" or "holds too many rounds," or some such nonsense. What's the beef with a Model 10? Not drop-safe? Or am I giving the powers-that-be too much credit for rationality?

CajunBass
March 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
What's the beef with a Model 10?

Probably that Smith & Wesson isn't willing to ante up the "fee" to get it on the approved list.

Back when I was a much younger man, I used to look down my nose at the old Model 10. How quaint and old fashioned. Those skinny grips, the pitiful fixed sights, the anemic 38 special round. HA...Nobody would use those things anymore. Whenever I saw one I always thought of those old back and white movies and TV shows were the cops wore those old fashioned long greatcoats. They all seemed to have a Model 10 in the pocket.

Today, I guess I've gotten a little wiser as I've gotten a lot older. Today I like the Model 10 because it IS quaint and old fashioned. It got that way because it works. Easy manual-of-arms, ammo available almost anywhere...if they sell handgun ammo at all, they probably sell 38 special...light weight, good triggers...what's not to like?

I've got five of them now. A couple look like they've almost never been fired. A couple are old battle scared veterans. I wouldn't hesitate to call on any of them, to either punch holes in paper for an afternoon, or to hold off the zombie hords.

M&P from 1947.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0366.jpg

Model 10-7 from 1979

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/handguns/100_0146.jpg

I'll bet those old greatcoats were warm, too. ;)

oldfool
March 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
"... the anti-gun hysteria of the Left Coast, but usually they have some sort of reason... am I giving the powers-that-be too much credit for rationality?"

Rumor has it that Taurus, in an effort to corner the ********** market
submitted their innovative new & improved "da' Vegan Velociraptor" for certification
along with a Tofu target shooting video demonstrating it's devastating power

There was a protest quickly organized by the Tofu Growers Association, aka TGA
Mothers Against Devastation mounted a mailing campaign to decry the lack of a orange tip on the barrel
Nonetheless, Taurus was gaining ground after a multimedia media blitz airing the Tofu shooting commercial
with a disclaimer stating that "No pistachios were harmed in the making of this film"

but certification was ultimately denied when they further discovered that the bilingual translation of 'Velociraptor' was on the RIGHT hand side of the barrel instead of LEFT hand side,
and that there was no hispanic translation for "'da"

it's a 'tougher than tofu' market to penetrate, I reckon

evan price
March 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
California's DOJ requires for any handgun to be sold in the state of **********, a sample must be submitted for testing to assure the gun is "safe". Since the manufacturers don't particularly want used gun sales to compete with new gun sales, they do not tend to submit samples of older models for testing.

As an interesting point, California only gives the OK from the test of that exact specific model of gun. So if you have a Model 10 revolver approved and allowed, it does not allow a Model 64 (even though it's the same gun, but stainless instead of carbon steel.) Nor does it allow a Model 12. Or a Model 15. Or a Model 19. Or any other K-frame. Heck, I think it would only allow the specific dash number (like a 10-6) with the specific barrel length as submitted for approval. So a 6" 10-6 gets approved, a 4" 10-8 still is unapproved.

I also seem to recall that the sample gun is NOT returned after the testing.

That's my understanding of the laws- Someone from Cali want to fact check this for me?

The Bushmaster
March 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
Bought two Model 10 revolvers several years ago [in the USSR of C] for $150. Both were from Hong Kong and stamped on the backstrap "RHKP". Both were almost brand new. Test fired, stored and not issued. Still have them.

il.bill
March 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
I recently received a used Model 10-8 heavy 4" barrel square butt revolver from Bud's for $280.07 delivered to my local FFL including shipping, insurance, and credit card surcharge. It was a police trade-in from Victoria, Australia.
The bluing is worn in several places, but I found no rust nor pittiing. The barrel and cylinder are in very good shape, and the mechanical function is great.
I like it a lot - only wish I could afford to buy another one or two.

Old Fuff
March 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
What's the beef with a Model 10? Not drop-safe?

All model 10 and pre-model 10 revolvers made after World War Two have a positive hammer block, so if you want they can be dropped from the top of the Empire State Building in NYC and not go off. They might suffer some other damage though. :uhoh:

Or am I giving the powers-that-be too much credit for rationality?

Now I think you get it. In California the government considers ordinary residents to be inferior beings who are incapable of leading their own lives without extensive supervision from they’re benevolent and superior government masters. All of this regulation is "for their own good" of course. There is no justification in allowing such individuals to own or carry arms unless they belong to an approved elite.

newbuckeye
March 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
I recently got my first mod 10 at a gun show and I really like it!

toivo
March 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Since the manufacturers don't particularly want used gun sales to compete with new gun sales, they do not tend to submit samples of older models for testing.

The Model 10 (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766346_-1_757769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y) is still in production. At the current prices, it looks like they're going more for the "boutique" market now.

Maybe S&W figures they're not going to sell too many new ones when the old ones are on the market at much lower prices, so they're concentrating on sales of more popular new models, like the snubbies? I give up: marketing and anti-gun legislation both operate with a logic that escapes me.

Old Fuff
March 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
The current model 10 revolvers still have a modest market in the United States, but there is an additional (and maybe larger) business in export sales.

dscampbell
March 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
On roster exact model and dash barrel length. Any difference requires separate test sample and fee. Only one model 10 currently on list 10-14 4" blue.

S&Wfan
March 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
I bought a slightly used pre-model 10 (the M&P revolver) last year for $350. 5" barrel and a REAL sweet shooter that I'd rank up there with any of the fine S&W revolvers I own.

Last fall I took it to an area "steel" match. Several different stages to shoot, and several times on the same stage. If you didn't miss once you'd expend 100 rounds. Five steel targets in each time running the stage and a maximum of 10 rounds could be loaded into a magazine.

GREAT . . . THAT LEVELS THE PLAYING FIELD AND FAVORS A SMOOTH REVOLVER SHOOTER . . . ten rounds max loaded to hit five freakin' targets? The average bottom feeder, brass puking autoloader shooter can't miss fast enough to win like that!

I'd shot a lot of competitions in my middle age years, and so at age 60 I decided to take my 61 year old "new" M&P out to spank the ladies with their tupperware and tricked out 1911s at an area match.

Like I said, they couldn't miss fast enough! Typically it was front sight on target, the double action cycle was just rolling to the next target as the centered front sight came down on the next target and the revolver roared again . . . typically only five shots were needed. A couple of times I needed six, never more.

My closest competitor was a fine shooter in his mid-20s with a lot of experience shooting his new, enhanced 7-shot S&W 686. Actually, he was the only one close to my aggregate time! Third place was a bottom feeder . . . no other revolver shooters shot centerfire that day! Some of the shooters were twice as slow . . . or slower and shot a LOT of ammo!

Yep, once one learns to shoot a fast and smooth double action revolver stroke they are very hard to beat. The gun writers don't mention it . . . for their advertisers are pushing their new tupperware and custom 1911s on an unsuspecting public.

NOTHING wrong with a good 'ol 10 (or a post-war M&P). EVERYONE should own at least one specimen of this amazing, affordable, accurate and deadly revolver!

Here's my M&P that spanked all comers . . . a 61 year old revolver in the hands of a 60 year old competitor.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305468/2454099IMG2078p-pi-c.jpg

As another has already said, I too would feel extremely well armed with a Model 10. Millons were made, a truly classic revolver that helped keep the peace in this country for decades on end . . . and can still kick butt too!

If you enjoyed reading about "SW used Md. 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!