Rhino Handgun?

PDA

slow2run
March 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
You can view This handgun at http://www.mkschiappa.com . I think it's gonging to have a big futures. If you have commits on this Rhino,then have your say?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rhino Handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dusty14u
March 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
Was there a specific question you had about the Rhino? I got one as a Christmas present and I really like mine. It is a great concealed revolver. I have a Ruger SP101 also but the Rhino has been my go to CCW. Very manageable recoil and good accuracy. I have had no issues or failures.

slow2run
March 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks Dusty, that's what I wanted to know. Could you tell me if you model will take moon clips for the 357 mag Ammo?

hariph creek
March 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
Be kinda cool if they put a laser in the upper lug. Not on, in. Or, in place of?

hardluk1
March 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
With a 40 cal version comeing out ,they missed the chance to make it a 10mm/40s&w.

slow2run
March 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Look if you have good suggestion for,the Rhino hand guns ,just tell them?
If they want your $ money, then they should look at your suggestions.http://www.mkschiappa.com or,http://www.chiappafirearms.com/////// ,http://www.info@mkschiappa.com

Hondo 60
March 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Very strange - futuristic looking guns.
I just couldn't see John Wayne with one.

But yet, they're strangely attractive.
I'm hoping one of my buddies will buy one so I can see it firsthand & shoot it too.
Then maybe if I like it, look into buying one for myself.

zoom6zoom
March 14, 2012, 09:30 PM
I love mine. I just wish they'd actually have the holsters that are in the catalog for the 4" available for sale, or provide dummy blocks to other holster makers.

Had to paint my front sight ramp to see it well enought on the indoor range. No, the neon inserts in the catalog apparently aren't available, either.

BCRider
March 15, 2012, 03:14 AM
Be kinda cool if they put a laser in the upper lug. Not on, in. Or, in place of?

I'm not the sort that likes or cares about lasers but in this case it just makes so much sense that it's surprising that they didn't drill out and install a laser in that big, deep sight rail.

zignal_zero
March 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
I've never wanted up to the look of the short blued one, but the 5 or 6" (cant remember) stainless model is gorgeous in a demonic way :)

slow2run
March 15, 2012, 06:00 PM
Just call or e-mail them, and tell them, what you think and want?

Rollie
March 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Good luck with e-mail. I sent a request for info on the .40 a month ago, with no response. It kind of put out the fire as if I can't get a reply so I can buy one, what can I expect if it breaks?

Confederate
March 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
How much do they weigh? They look somewhat bulky and I wonder how they'd do in terms of instinctive shooting?

What's the whole idea behind the Rhino? Where are they better than standard .357s?

Does anyone have any photos of the Rhino next to a...er...real gun?

BLB68
March 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
I don't think I'd use a handgun for rhino. Those things are scary.

dusty14u
March 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
They don't take moonclips. The supplied holster is very nice and I saw an IWB holster on their website but it isn't in stock so I will keep looking until it comes in.

One of my first range trips I was having a great time and a family set upn the lane next to me. They only had one gun between a father mother and daughter. The daughter was about 15 years old. I asked them if they would like to try the Rhino and they said they did.

All I had was my handloads pushing a 125gr flat point at 1550fps and it is a punishing load in the Ruger SP101 but felt like a heavier 38SP load in the Rhino. After the girl shot it she was grinning after hitting her target every time. The dad then told me it was her first time shooting. I am glad I didn't scare her but the Rhino is pretty tame with some haevy handloads.

The POI does change with different loads going from 38SP to handloaded .357 powerhouses. It groups well as it is easy to get back or stay on target.

dusty14u
March 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
How much do they weigh? They look somewhat bulky and I wonder how they'd do in terms of instinctive shooting?

What's the whole idea behind the Rhino? Where are they better than standard .357s?

Does anyone have any photos of the Rhino next to a...er...real gun?
Here is a Rhino compared to a Ruger SP101 in 2-1/4" long barrel. Just took the pics in the porch table so I am hoping the quality is good enough to compare. The Rhino is 24ozs and the SP101 is 26 oz but holds only 5 rds compared to 6 in the Rhino.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/GEDC0468.jpg

NMGonzo
March 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
I would be all over it in .44 magnum

slow2run
March 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
For more info on the Rhino hand guns go here,http://www.grantcunningham.com Type in rhino under search.

zoom6zoom
March 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
With my Smith 19-3. Oh, and I could do without the stupid rail on the bottom.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/zoom6zoom/gun%20stuff/Collection/357s.jpg

Giterboosted
March 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
Gun show coming up this weekend, may hafta grab one if I find a decently priced one

Tomcat47
March 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
Yep! Loose the rail ...... :barf:

and if I ever fall victim to this albatross, it will be probably the 6 inch version in SS

It kinda looks like it means business..:cool:

Unfortunately, for me the short barrel versions look like ..... hmmm ....a .... uh....a.... kinda.....like.....maybe....uh.... not yet fully evolved firearm sorta thingy!

sirsloop
March 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
I handled a rhino a couple weeks ago... and my oh my what a pile is JUNK!!!! Just sayin... it aint no Smith or Ruger :\

slow2run
March 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
Tell us what the problems were?

drunkensobriety
March 16, 2012, 06:37 PM
The Rhino seems a lot like many other out there designs that are mechanically fantastic: but wholly unnecessary.

In technical terms: the exceptionally low center of bore in relation to the hand gives added recoil control and therefore faster follow up shots.

Then again; if rapid fire is your absolute goal - get an auto loader. Even if you don't like auto loaders or you want to champion the argument that revolvers are supremely reliable by comparison, you raise a whole other issue.

Lets say the argument is reliability of a revolver, ok.
Single actions are slow to load and or fire. ok.
Double actions with a star extractor, much faster reloading and firing. ok.
Bore axis in relation to hand is too high - makes accurate follow up shots slower. ok.
Rhino: bore axis is within the palm, extremely rapid accurate fire. ok.
Now I can unload all 6 shots as fast as an auto loader. ok.
Speed loaders every 6 rounds still slower than a 1911 8 round stick magazine....

Rhino seems to follow an evolutionary dead end. If I'm carrying a revolver for reliability than I'm not necessary concerned with firing as fast as humanly possible: because i only have 6 rounds before I have to reload. Now if recoil control in terms of making the firearm more pleasant to shoot is the point of it: I'm cool with that - but it's still only .357 magnum. When they make the Rhino in .454 casull (and up) and the bore axis in the palm makes it comfortable to shoot: give me a call.

The Rhino really looks like a solution in search of a problem. Not entirely unlike the Webley-Fosbery Self-Cocking Automatic Revolver or the Mateba. The Mateba has almost the same bore axis position by the way - just for future references. My only revolver, btw, is a Ruger Super blackhawk. It loads and shoots slow, but it's a .44 mag - I don't really have to rush.

Don't get me wrong: Rhino is an eat gun, I'd rather have it in a heavier caliber and without the built in rails that are designed to make it look cool. But hey: that's just preference.

skt239
March 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
I handled a rhino a couple weeks ago... and my oh my what a pile is JUNK!!!! Just sayin... it aint no Smith or Ruger :\

I don't believe you handled a Rhino at all. You've offered nothing in your post to lead me to believe otherwise.

Drunken,

I agree with you on somethings but disagree with you on others. I don't believe that the Rhino is a solution looking for a problem but rather a solution to a real problem. The muzzle rise on the Rhino is significantly less than that of a traditional revolver in .357 or even hot .38+P's.

A lot of people carry revolvers Chambered for the aforementioned calibers and follow up shots might suffer for it. Less muzzle rise in a short barrel .357 is certainly a solution to a problem for self defense. After all, lots of people carry .357's and not that many are carrying .454's. Also, while a revolver does have limited capacity, myself (and a lot of other people) train to fire double taps, rather than get off as many rounds as possible. Certainly know one knows what will happen in a SD shooting but that's how I practice.

I think a big bore Rhino makes a lot of sense and be fun to shoot. However, I also think that the Rhino works well for the reasons I listed above.

oldfool
March 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
"I handled a rhino a couple weeks ago."
"I don't believe you handled a Rhino at all."

That's about as close to calling someone an outright liar as it gets.
The guy coulda' shoulda' said why, I agree.
But there is way too much of this - somebody must be a liar going on here lately, because they don't like what I like. Say it ain't so.

People want "proof" that you are not a liar or part of some vast internet devious conspiracy unless you can prove to THEIR personal satisfaction that your own personal experience and opinion is what you say it is. We don't really need that.

You make really good points skt239, and do it really well; you don't need to call people you disagree with liars.

Me, pretty sure I own some guns some family & friends think are JUNK. But they manage to get through their day without telling me about it, and so could sirsloop. None of which makes them liars by omission, just makes 'em polite friends & family, and more fun to be around.

or, just shake hands and come out swinging

PS
ok, ok.. I do have one exception to that rule for myself (but it ain't 'da Rhino)
innocent NOT :o
(ain't right, no, but it's tough not to laugh out loud when you get to laughing too hard for your own good, it is)

I think the Rhino is a pretty keen cool factor thing, and it just might prove itself over the longer haul; the points in favor of strike me as pretty much on target. I have not handled one, and probably will not. But it just don't tinkle my wind chimes; that S&W 19-3 and SP-101 put 'em into full symphony mode, how it is. I ain't lying. Honest.

be well, shoot well and always mind your backdrop, both of you, skt239 and sirsloop
but be wary of shared range time together ;)

absinthe
March 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
I've got a 4" Rhino. I enjoy shooting it and the felt recoil is really dramatically low. 38+P feels like 22 and 357 like 38.

That said, it's a light gun for its size and has complicated internals. I am concerned about reliability. I like it for a range gun, but I trust Rugers for HD/PD.

oldfool
March 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
by the way..
good to see you active here lately skt239
and welcome to THR sirsloop, stick around, there are kinder and gentler (and smarter) folk than me here, good company

zoom6zoom
March 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
The Mateba has almost the same bore axis position by the way - just for future references.
Hardly surprising. They were designed by the same guy.

skt239
March 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
Oldfool,

I should apologize because I was out of line. What I really meant by my comment was, by providing little to no info other than "it's junk" isn't really a good argument. If he had said something to the effect of...

"I handled a Rhino and the trigger was gritty, the lock up was loose and the cylinder was covered in machine marks. To me the it felt like pure junk"

That to me would be a fair description that everyone benefits from. However it's not my place to say who should post what and how. Again, to the poster, I apologize for my post and didn't mean to call you a liar even though I pretty much did.

Thanks for making that point, oldfool. I should keep in mind the old forum mantra, "think twice, post once".

oldfool
March 17, 2012, 03:36 AM
if I would learn to pay attention to my own free advice, stk239
I would be far far better off
innocent NOT

shockwave
March 17, 2012, 08:37 AM
My understanding is that the Rhino aims to solve two problems. The lower bore axis pushes the recoil more against the palm with less barrel snap, and the squared cylinder improves carry and concealability. Haven't held or shot one, so I can't comment on whether they actually do this, but that's the design concept.

And yes, like skt239 says, speed of follow-up shots really matters if you practice double taps.

PabloJ
March 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
You can view This handgun at http://www.mkschiappa.com . I think it's gonging to have a big futures. If you have commits on this Rhino,then have your say?
It handles much better then it looks but I'm not sure how it shoots because I haven't fired one. Having no desire to play with intricate Italian "toys" I would rather pay extra to get M&P R8.

drunkensobriety
March 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
The Mateba has almost the same bore axis position by the way - just for future references.
Hardly surprising. They were designed by the same guy.

Woof - how the hell did I miss that one? Emilio Ghisoni did design both and then died in 2008 before the Rhino went into production. I think given the choice - I'd prefer a Mateba over a Rhino. In one aspect though i do like the Rhino: lower bore axis does decrease time between accurate follow up shots. More importantly: it decreases muzzle rise WITHOUT having to port the barrel.

Whenever I'm going to shoot a gun with a ported barrel - I wear double ear protection. I *hope* to never have to fire one without ear protection in a SD situation, even if I came out unscathed by a potential attacker I'd probably have serious hearing loss as a result.

PabloJ
March 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
The Rhino is improved version of Mateba.....you know easier and cheaper firearm to make.

slow2run
March 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
I will be happy when they find time to design a new frame for the 44 Rem mag and the 45 ACP, 45 long Colt and the 454 Casual? I hope it has better sights and longer barrels?** Note: Can you safely fire 10 mm ammo in their 40 S&W Gun?

beag_nut
March 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
There was a thread about the Rhino several months ago, I think on THR. At any rate, I think it's potentially a wonderful layout, though I don't like the internal mechanical complexity. I hope they do well in sales, if for no other reason that Ruger or S&W would come out with a simplified design to compete with them.
Again, it's a superior layout.

OcelotZ3
March 19, 2012, 01:34 AM
I really like my 5" Rhino. I'd like a Mateba but those are a bit difficult to find & expensive...

slow2run
March 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
Maybe someone in the know,could tell us how to make the Rhino action less complex or just make remarks?

slow2run
March 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
They make very good cars , boats and woman's in Italy, why not handguns ?

NJG33
March 20, 2012, 01:15 AM
On the Mateba note. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis have a new movie coming up called Looper there Gordon-Levitt plays the younger version of the Bruce Willis character. And one of the promo shots shows him holding a Mateba:
http://collider.com/joseph-gordon-levitt-looper-movie-images/153037/

barnbwt
March 20, 2012, 12:45 PM
On the Rhino note, I seem to recall a black 6" Rhino appeared in a music video for the Black Keys, "Howlin' for You" I believe. It was the weapon of a femme-fatale, in the action movie the video was spoofing.

TCB

Rodentman
March 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
I have one.

http://fototime.com/AFF5555C7742745/standard.jpg

It was plagued with some horrible off-center light strikes...

http://fototime.com/92CE91ED00C2FA9/standard.jpg

My LGS sent it back for me. Came back worse. Went back again and they replaced the hand. Now it works fine.

http://fototime.com/F6F48CF4F867E1B/standard.jpg

If I could have only 1 revolver, this wouldn't be it, but since I am fortunate enough to be able to have several, I am glad to have it in my collection. It's fun to shoot.

slow2run
March 20, 2012, 08:26 PM
Any commits on firing a 10 mm in the 40 S&W Rhino? Note: someone on this topic, said they mists a good bet by not in clouding it?

Confederate
March 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
I just can't get used to the Rhino...sorry. A woman may be able to plow the ground and pull a handcart, but there's more to what I'm looking for than that! The gun is butt ugly, folks, plain and simple. It may not recoil as much, but I don't think it'll equal a S&W 686 in accuracy. In fact, I just got a magazine by Massad Ayoob, and he indicated that the Rhino keyholed some of their rounds a little bit.

Looking at the finish, I don't think you could call it "bluing" by any stretch. The stainless one would be my first choice if I were going to buy one. I might buy one if they were substantially cheaper than Smiths or Rugers, but I think they're asking as much or maybe more. In short, fellas, this thing looks like the Statue of Liberty in a bikini! It's a good concept, but I just don't have an incentive to buy one.

barnbwt
March 20, 2012, 10:12 PM
Nice sight-gag in that first pic, Rodentman:D

I wish someone I know would buy one of these (before I eventually succumb to my weaker nature and buy one) so I could try it out. I don't purport to have the info to make a real review, but I take the opportunity to check out any Rhino I come across, and of the 8 or so I've seen they have been:

First and foremost, overpriced by the retailer (above MSRP)
Small grip, high in my hand (granted I'm used to a 5" N-frame)
Comfortable to hold and point, with a really wide trigger that some like
More rough tooling marks than I am accustomed to seeing on revolvers, at places like the cylinder gap where they shouldn't be
A loose extractor star on several (the clockwork doesn't rely on the star like S&W, though) which looks to be pinned to the ejector rod. On one, I could actually get the star to get hung up on the timing studs as it went down:uhoh:
A consistently tough single action cock, at this point I believe because the cocking lever is so short; bad leverage
A fairly smooth and consistent double action pull
Slight misalignment of forward barrel shroud from frame; for a slab sided gun, they beg to be lined up perfectly, or it's a bit of an eyesore
I've never noticed bad timing alignment, but I'm just using a flashlight to check if the gun is safe to use at each chamber
VERY light-for-its build (aluminum frame) for all lengths
Decent enough surface finish, especially the clear-anodized (some call it "hard chrome" though:banghead:)

For whatever reason, the DA stubbies seem to get the best rep, and the mechanisms seemed to me to the smoothest on the short pistols. I don't know why, it makes no sense to me. I would think the barrel/shroud would be the only difference between the guns, but maybe they have different trigger groups or spring strengths. I really like these guns, but they're priced like Smith's, and seem to have the quality of Taurus'. I suppose it's a bit greedy of me to expect top quality out of such a new manufacturer, even at a premium:o

I hope someone who's actually bought/shot one of these can confirm or deny the pros and cons I've listed, and more importantly, if you find they actually impact your enjoyment of this very cool pistol.

qcsmitty
March 20, 2012, 10:25 PM

:confused:

MisterNoisy
March 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
Nice sight-gag in that first pic, Rodentman:D

I wish someone I know would buy one of these (before I eventually succumb to my weaker nature and buy one) so I could try it out. I don't purport to have the info to make a real review, but I take the opportunity to check out any Rhino I come across, and of the 8 or so I've seen they have been:

First and foremost, overpriced by the retailer (above MSRP)
Small grip, high in my hand (granted I'm used to a 5" N-frame)
Comfortable to hold and point, with a really wide trigger that some like
More rough tooling marks than I am accustomed to seeing on revolvers, at places like the cylinder gap where they shouldn't be
A loose extractor star on several (the clockwork doesn't rely on the star like S&W, though) which looks to be pinned to the ejector rod. On one, I could actually get the star to get hung up on the timing studs as it went down:uhoh:
A consistently tough single action cock, at this point I believe because the cocking lever is so short; bad leverage
A fairly smooth and consistent double action pull
Slight misalignment of forward barrel shroud from frame; for a slab sided gun, they beg to be lined up perfectly, or it's a bit of an eyesore
I've never noticed bad timing alignment, but I'm just using a flashlight to check if the gun is safe to use at each chamber
VERY light-for-its build (aluminum frame) for all lengths
Decent enough surface finish, especially the clear-anodized (some call it "hard chrome" though:banghead:)

For whatever reason, the DA stubbies seem to get the best rep, and the mechanisms seemed to me to the smoothest on the short pistols. I don't know why, it makes no sense to me. I would think the barrel/shroud would be the only difference between the guns, but maybe they have different trigger groups or spring strengths. I really like these guns, but they're priced like Smith's, and seem to have the quality of Taurus'. I suppose it's a bit greedy of me to expect top quality out of such a new manufacturer, even at a premium:o

I hope someone who's actually bought/shot one of these can confirm or deny the pros and cons I've listed, and more importantly, if you find they actually impact your enjoyment of this very cool pistol.

Barnbwt, I haven't had issues with the star or noticed any tooling issues on my Rhino. Your other comments are pretty much spot-on relative to my experience, though - in particular, the grip could really stand to be bigger overall. Since the aftermarket for these guns is nonexistent, I've taken measurements and tracings of the grip frame and will ultimately be trying my hand at improving the grip myself. While I don't have an issue with the cocking lever being tough to pull, many of the people I've let try it out at the range have - I chalk it up to me having piano hands, so it's easy to hook my thumb over the leading edge of the lever and pull it back. Pricing is highly variable, but I felt I got a decent deal on mine (though the shop had to special-order it).

All of that said, I'm a huge fan - my 60DS is easily the most accurate non-rimfire handgun I own, and a hell of a head-turner at the range.

I usually shoot 158gr .38 +P through it, and it's like firing .22WMR - just a peach and something that you could easily shoot all day with no fatigue. .357 is still pretty stout, but far more comfortable than the same cartridge through any other revolver I've had the pleasure of firing.

Obligatory pics:

http://i.imgur.com/E4jgT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f6VSe.jpg

slow2run
March 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
I check galleryofguns.com, doesn't have them in stock.

sirsloop
March 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fit and finish felt loose and cheap
Da trigger was gritty, heavy, and uneven
Cylinder release and opening the cylinder felt like a matchbox car toy car hood

Sorry guys I just didn't like it

cwl1862
March 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
Those are the fugliest things I've ever seen! I'll stay with traditional revolvers thanks.

qcsmitty
April 2, 2012, 07:43 PM
....... and people think the GLOCK is ugly.!?.!? These things look like ass.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rhino Handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!