My Carry Setup - Your Thoughts?

PDA

Tomcat47
March 12, 2012, 11:52 PM
I sometime back started carrying 2" Revolver again as primary!

* I am carrying .38 Special/9mm - Various Firearms/Same Platform
(Taurus 85-.38) (Taurus 905-9mm) (S&W 36-.38) (RG - .38)

I started carrying Hollow Points in all at first....

I work in Rural area...late evenings! I have had words with a few people loitering, but no big deal as I close up, and lock gates. Never really expect someone to target me..(but who does really...just be prepared!)

But this is my carry rounds at present...

.38 or 9mm I carry 2 rounds CCI Shotshell in cylinder with balance of Hollow Point...obviously this is 2 and 3 in the 85 & 905 which I carry 90% of time, with back up speed loaders with hollow point.

Reason for my change up is this...In the Rural area, right at my work place it has become a favorite stray dog drop off point late in night for some time...and I had become no stranger to a unpredictable hungry dog as I was closing the gates.

I come to the realization that I am more likely to be a victim of dog bite than human attacker, but either way my first two rounds require little aim to make a point! and on a canine would most likely stop the attack.

I have practiced with the setup and it is fairly impressive on drawing, first two rounds in double action and solidly aquiring target with three remaining hollow points inside 10 yards.

Opinions?? (And keep it civil .... :) )

And I know this has all kinds of pros and cons..........

Just seemed to fit the greater possibility while still fitting the preparedness factor! I would hate to take two CCI Shotshells in the face....just say'n...if I were mr. Bad Guy....:eek:

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "My Carry Setup - Your Thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kbbailey
March 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
I fired some CCI shotshells from my SP101 and wasn't impressed. I found the center of the pattern to be pretty thin. Check it out for yourself. If your primary concern is dogs, I guess it would be ok, but I think non-lethal.

Chopdoktor
March 13, 2012, 12:14 AM
There's no way in heck I would let anything less than a +P load occupy a single one of the chambers of my cylinder, dogs or no dogs. Revolvers offer precious few shots as it is, and I want each one to be as lethal as possible. I say ditch the CCI's and replace them with some hot defense loads.

If you feel confident in your training to use a bullet against a man-sized target, you can probably hit any size of dog that'd pose a threat, too. I know my words are harsh, but I feel strongly about it. Like kbbailey, I have also been very underwhelmed with the terminal ballistics of non-shotgun shotshells.

Tomcat47
March 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
I agree the pattern is not real great!

My intention with setup is to stop or slow the attack....With the foreknowledge that it would take third, fourth, fifth?... shot to be lethal.

If it would slow down or stop it would greatly increase odds of target aquisistion for third, fourth, fifth shot.

Something coming at you is hard to hit ... let alone hit lethal.

Chopdoktor
March 13, 2012, 12:21 AM
I understand your logic, and it's not bad, but capacity is the factor here. Sounds like a good semi-auto might be more suited for your needs, if we're worried about accurately placing the first few shots. On the flip-side, most dogs I have shot around have been startled enough to cease what they're doing and often become a bit shocked by the noise. I guess your situation could go either way.

ColtPythonElite
March 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
I certainly wouldn't want to have to fire off two weak loads before I got to the good stuff. You might not have enough time to get the the rounds with real stopping power...I'd practice more on hitting moving targets with one projectile, than relying on the spray and pray method with shotshells.

Tomcat47
March 13, 2012, 12:30 AM
Agrees Chop.....

I always have my Beretta 92 or A 1911 in my car/truck..... I just carry the .38...Mainly the 85 cause it is an Ultra Lite.

And also why I posted my question...I have thought IF it ever happens...will I wish I had the Beretta??

That's the good thing about THR.....answers, logic, reason, etc.

Equals - an informed idea to change ones logic.

I had a friend one time back in NC... a deputy actually used to train with the small basketballs at an outdoor range....throw them up top and they would roll at you pretty fast when they rolled down the bank and back to you.

Maybe I should go get some of them and put the Beretta to the test (well my skills with it anyway) He could draw and annialate them balls like at 90% success....He was avid 1911 man!

cool hand luke
March 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
Load your firearm to disengage the threat! I had rather be glad I did than wish I had!
Does anyone have a Fn five seven for sale in all black including controls?

Tomcat47
March 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Does anyone have a Fn five seven for sale in all black including controls?
Nope but a girl - friend (not girlfriend)of mine has one in Hot Pink Duracoat! :D

Load your firearm to disengage the threat! I had rather be glad I did than wish I had!

Duly Noted!

Old Fuff
March 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
Your shot load isn't going to do much in the way of stopping a determine dog that's attacking, and by the time you get to the ball rounds (hollow points or not) the dog may be chewing on your leg - or whatever. You didn't say, but I presume these revolvers have 2 or maybe 3-inch barrels.

If I was in your place I would be carrying hard-cast, full wadcutter lead bullets and go for penetration. This again presumes that some of these hostile dogs could be big ones.

Last but not least, if dog attacks were a serious threat I would most likely be carrying my Taurus model 445 (5-shot, 2" barrel, blued steel) .44 special rather they any .38 Special, 9mm or .357 Magnum. If the dog is moving fast and coming in, you'd better wallop 'up with the first shot, and the bigger the better.

Tomcat47
March 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
Hi Old Fuff! They are 2"

Thanks for advice again....The .327's should be on there way by end of week..

I have 4" Taurus .41 magnum I am very fond of....... :)

The dogs are usually of the Hunting variety I would say most in 50-60 lb area.
Seen a few pits/pit mix too.

They are really un - nerving sometimes, and last week a pack of three...all in 50 lb class.... (And I did have Beretta that night and the .38 !! )

icanthitabarn
March 13, 2012, 01:41 AM
I have some training .38 red/black plastic rounds. Might try a whole gun full as a dog stopper. They are quite hot at 20 feet and under. They will blast thru at least half a heavy metal can. Speer makes em

Deus Machina
March 13, 2012, 02:51 AM
I'm not a fan of shot rounds unless your biggest concern is snakes. I won't say they're not effective, though--the shot itself won't stop any dog that feels like chewing on you, but the surprisingly loud noise combined with the shot cup itself my work.

That said, if your body language doesn't tell a dog that it's a bad idea to bite you, a shotshell isn't that much more effective.

I'd keep one shotshell at most. I'd suggest that any dog that will be discouraged by--especially outside of kicking range--will be discouraged just as much as a hollowpoint put into the dirt six feet to their side, but you're more likely to have to shoot the thing.

Overall, shot round or not, a gun is deadly force. If you feel the need to draw and put some lead shot into it, that should be exactly the same as feeling the need to put 158 grains into its torso. I say drop the shot round and deal with a 'warning shot'--and I'm not a big fan of that--if you really think it will make a difference, because there's not a lot of difference to animals.

ms6852
March 13, 2012, 04:49 AM
I shoot twice a week my 1911 or my pt99 taurus at least a couple of hundred rds each and am very good with them. Occasionally upon my dress I may get lazy and carry a 642, that was until I realized I could not hit a paper plate at 5 yds. I had no idea that snubbies were so innacurate. Anyway point I am trying to make is you better practice a heck of a lot with your revolver because a charging canine or a human at 10 yds will be on you before you can hit them. BTW ...LOSE THE CCI RDS, use hollowpoints or wadcutters.

mljdeckard
March 13, 2012, 04:54 AM
Ask yourself this. When you have a mixed load, with the weak rounds first, and you need to use that gun against a deadly threat who is trying to kill you, will it seem like a good idea THEN?

Don't split hairs. Deadly force is deadly force. Not; "I will shoot through my first couple of rounds to GET TO the deadly force." If a dog is enough of a threat that you need to shoot it, you don't want to be shooting it with birdshot.

ATBackPackin
March 13, 2012, 06:58 AM
We plan for the worst, not the best.

Pilot
March 13, 2012, 07:59 AM
Why a snubby? Is concealment an issue? I'd rather have a longer barrel, at least three and a half to four inches, and more capacity, even a single stack 9MM with nine rounds is better than five. I'm also not a fan of shot shells. However, you may also want to consider a few non-lethal measures for the dogs. A walking stick, and pepper spray would be a good dog deterrent. Shooting dogs may get you into some legal hassles.

Davek1977
March 13, 2012, 08:13 AM
ASk yourself this....are you 100% comfortable with having 3 shots to resolve whatever the issue may be? The shotshells are quite likely non-lethal. That leaves 3 rounds...only availble after firing two others.....to deal with whatever threat it is you are facing. I'm not comfortable with that. Three rounds may be enough....but if it isn't? What if 5 would have been? I personally want every shot to have the potential of being lethal. I don't want to have to think about which chamber is next to be fired, shotshell or jhp. I want one load I have confidence in filling my mag or cylinder, not 3 rounds of SD ammo behind a couple of rounds meant for pests. I want my defensive firearm to perform the same way, shot after shot, instead of worrying about what may happen if I decide to load shotshells for the first few rounds.

youngda9
March 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
What if you only have time to get off one shot. Make it count. Get rid of the rat shot.

Old Fuff
March 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Occasionally upon my dress I may get lazy and carry a 642, that was until I realized I could not hit a paper plate at 5 yds. I had no idea that snubbies were so innacurate.

I have a news flash...!

The problem isn't the revolver. :uhoh:

CoRoMo
March 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
True. It put each bullet exactly where each was pointed.

Driftertank
March 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
^^^What he said.

I had a 2.5" EAA Windicator that i coul hit soda cans at 50 paces with. Consistently, as in EVERY time. The short sight radius makes it harder, but the gun can do it.

ETA: Too slow. I was referencing Old Fluff's comment on snubby accuracy.

And i'd lose the snakeshot too. Waste of capacity, IMO. Ever see clips from cop shows where 3 cops unload on a subject and hit him twice? Or that clip of the attempted shooting outside a courthouse where the guy empties his snubby at the guy from 5 feet and misses every time? It can be hard to connect under stress. I'd want every one to count. Just IMO.

MagnumDweeb
March 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
I agree with your choice on carrying a snub nose revolver. I do so as well. The Glock 23 I carried so often in my jeans, just drags down my suit pants. Mine's a Rossi 462 loaded with PMC Bronce 125 grain .357 JHP. I used a buddy of mines chrono one time when I was on his property and got just over 1200 fps on each shot. I can't remember the spread but it wasn't huge. Not great but not bad. Pretty much what you'll get from most +P 9mm loads out of 4"+ barrels.

Still if you can manage it, carry a spare bag with you when you are locking up. I carry my laptop bag over my right shoulder (snub nose in my front left pocket) with my Ruger P345 in the laptop bag. Won't do me much good in a surprise situation but when four guys start walking up on you and you have seconds instead of a single second, you might be able to draw both guns. And with guns like Reeses Cups, two is always better than one in the minds of most BGs. Plus I'm able to slip my right hand into the bag and grasp the Ruger when I want to. Do I feel the need to do it, nope, especially after the time change, but still it's nice knowing I can.

Of course there are other attorneys in the building and I've heard clients and opposing party's scream their lungs out at them and make not-quite-threats at them. On days like that I'm glad to be my own boss and have my snub .357 in my front left pocket.

Oh and get rid of the ratshot, at least I would. If showing a gun doesn't send them running, then I'm not relying on some rat shot to do so either. If I'm forced to draw my pistol, you get one second (maybe less or more depending on how close the person is to me) to make a life choice, run away or fall where you stand because I intend for my bullets to take out your spine.

Tomcat47
March 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Shooting dogs may get you into some legal hassles.

Not on private property....and they are strays, however if they had an owner..in SC the owner would be responsible for any injury's etc. that the animal caused on your property, or public for that matter. Strict leash law here! The deputies will tell you if it is not mean call animal control if it threatens you, shoot it!

Why a snubby? It is concealment issue while working all day...the Taurus 85 Ultra lite carries all day very comfortable!

And like Old Fuff! Accuracy is not a problem with my 2" snubs.....

I have killed a 38" Cottonmouth inside the building with CCI Shotshell... 1 Shot....Done it! Employee called me up yelling I almost stepped on it! I said stay away from it, I am going to my truck, (dont advertise CCW) came back with what I already had.

I actually feel comfortable fending off a dog with even the shotshells, however, the input here has led me to a resolve....as mentioned I have actually encountered a pack of 3 on the property (no threat) but they were still a pack! With the comment above very few precious shots, and two of them shot shells...a pack of 3 or even a team of 2, would be odds stacking against the outcome being in my favor!

I am opting to carry my Ultra Lite full up Hollow points IWB as usual and when I leave the office...I will slide the Beretta on my side in a paddle! Easy solution! Range time Saturday with the 92!

Old Fuff
March 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hollow points out of a 2" snubby are overrated. On smaller dogs they may work fine, but if you get a big one that's mean and coming at you, you will need penetration that will either go under the jaw and go all of the way back to the tail, or penetrate the skull, and/or hit the spine.

Fine shot will indeed kill a snake, which is thin-skined and has very light bones. If you shoot at a dog you may blind them, but not much more.

So long as you are dealing with smaller or less agressive dogs you may come out O.K., but I wouldn't bet you'd do so well againist a big, mean one, and especially if there was more then one.

jhco50
March 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
I don't think I would carry an RG, but the others seem fine. I carry an Armscorp M206 .38.

SigP229R
March 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
Short and simple anything I carry has JHP's and always one in the pipe.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Carry Setup - Your Thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!