Anybody Hate New Guns?

PDA

EchoM70
March 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
...Well not really hate, let me elaborate.

Every time I get a new gun and I get ready to fire it for the first time no matter what type/caliber it is I always get this nervousness/uneasiness about firing it. After about half a box of ammo I start to get accustomed to the gun and the uneasiness goes away. I've always done this and it's not a flinch just a gut feeling until I've been "conditioned" to the new rifle/shotgun/handgun.

Anybody else experience something similar to this or am I just the odd one out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody Hate New Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
March 13, 2012, 03:34 AM
No, I still have an aversion to plastic guns though I now own one (or a 1/2 of one at any rate ar-15 lower). I had to settle into shooting a plastic gun.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty—cautious—when it comes to bringing home a new firearm, and shooting it for the first time. Happened with the .22 my dad gave me, the shotgun my Stepdad gave me, my K31, my Mosin, my Mauser, the .243 my stepdad sold me, my Astra that I bought used (that's a no brainer) and even my LNIB Glock.

Point is, I can never trust a firearm without getting behind that trigger. I'm not sure what causes it, but I'm in the same boat as you.

Longhorn 76
March 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
I never load a full magazine, usually only two rounds initially.

I have been surprised before, and a pistol going full auto is very hard to control, especially if you are not ready for it.

Carl N. Brown
March 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
I like old guns. In years past, I bought a Mauser C96 (~1912-1914) and a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (1926) for example.

I don't hate new guns. One son gifted me a H&K USP .40S&W pistol and another gifted me a Yugo M70AB2 rifle.

But if my fortunes improve and I have funds for a purchase, I suspect I would be looking for walnut and steel to add to my collection.

To me, it is not what I hate, but what I love more.

The OP issue is how do you approach a new gun from a safety stand point.

A gun is a mechanical device and parts may fail. On the Mauser C96, I resized and primed an empty case and did everything I could think off to test the hammer/sear engagement, the safety, etc. (wearing eye and ear protection at home) before taking it to the range and loading live ammunition. And yes, loading two rounds only at first with a semi-auto is a good idea in case of disconnector failure.

I take the try-out period with an attitude of caution, not hate. It is a learning experience and oughta fun.

ADDED: My local gunshop operator actually loves to testfire guns at the range before putting them on the rack and has closed the shop to take me or my son to the range to fire a used gun for ourselves before purchase (a 6 mile drive BTW). But, the guns I have bought at pawn shops I have treated as suspect until proven.

Gtimothy
March 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
I feel that way every time I go to the range! Doesn't matter if its a new gun or one I've shot thousands of rounds through. I trust my abilities as a responsible shooter and keep my guns in the best working condition I can. I've seen plenty of posts on THR that talk about the things that can go wrong while shooting and it is ALWAYS in the back of my mind...but I still go to the range and after a few a few sucessful shots, I calm right down and get to business!

doubleh
March 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
No.

EchoM70
March 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
I like old guns. In years past, I bought a Mauser C96 (~1912-1914) and a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (1926) for example.

I don't hate new guns. One son gifted me a H&K USP .40S&W pistol and another gifted me a Yugo M70AB2 rifle.

But if my fortunes improve and I have funds for a purchase, I suspect I would be looking for walnut and steel to add to my collection.

To me, it is not what I hate, but what I love more.

The OP issue is how do you approach a new gun from a safety stand point.

A gun is a mechanical device and parts may fail. On the Mauser C96, I resized and primed an empty case and did everything I could think off to test the hammer/sear engagement, the safety, etc. (wearing eye and ear protection at home) before taking it to the range and loading live ammunition. And yes, loading two rounds only at first with a semi-auto is a good idea in case of disconnector failure.

I take the try-out period with an attitude of caution, not hate. It is a learning experience and oughta fun.

ADDED: My local gunshop operator actually loves to testfire guns at the range before putting them on the rack and has closed the shop to take me or my son to the range to fire a used gun for ourselves before purchase (a 6 mile drive BTW). But, the guns I have bought at pawn shops I have treated as suspect until proven.

It's not the fact I hate NIB guns or modern firearms, actually that statement would be far from the truth considering the only "old" gun I have at the moment is a Mosin Nagant.

I enjoy purchasing new fire arms and getting to know them is a fun experience, maybe I shouldn't have used hate. What I meant was when I purchase a gun that is new to me I can't trust it at first until I've fired it a few times and got accustomed to it. I take extra precaution around a firearm I'm not accustomed to and feel uneasy before firing off a few rounds. I like to know what to expect when I squeeze the trigger and when I purchase a new rifle I don't have that luxury, guess that is what I truly mean by "hating new guns."

Cesiumsponge
March 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
While most makes and models are known as reliable, you always want to run a lot of ammo through them to make sure yours isn't a lemon that slipped through the door, including cycling full magazines, if applicable. Some folks point that some makes or models require a break-in period to become reliable. Other than that, I do a full inspection and field strip and function test before firing a new gun.

Inebriated
March 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
At first I thought this was going to be another thread about blued steel and wood were the only things that made a gun....

But since I read the OP, I actually have to agree, I get a little rush when I shoot a new gun caliber, gun type, or something like that. It's just because I don't know where it hits, how it recoils, and if it'll function (depending on the gun). It's only for that very first shot. After that, I'm good.

JVaughn
March 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
I agree with Inebriated. Even though I have never been injured with a gun, I have seen the aftermath of rounds that exploded in the chamber and damaged the gun and I can imagine a piece of steel sticking in my hand or worse, my eye. I am always very careful to examine the action and alignment of new guns or guns I haven't fired in a while.

Not hate, just apprehensive.

CDW4ME
March 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
I only buy new guns, vehicles & clothes.
I've never experienced any anxiety over shooting a new pistol.
If I bought a used one then I would wonder.

Old krow
March 13, 2012, 11:08 PM
Yes, I hate new guns. In fact, I hate them so much I think they should be shot!

Driftertank
March 13, 2012, 11:39 PM
I think it's fairly natural for someone getting on the controls of ANY potentially destructive device for the first time to be a little apprehensive, especially if one doesn't know what to expect, as in the case of a gun of a type you've never fired before.

doc2rn
March 14, 2012, 02:28 AM
I think it is natural to distrust something nowadays until proven. This wasnt always the case! Old guns where put together by gunsmiths, that has changed. With CNC machines you get a crap shoot, just look at Taurrus for example. Its part of why they have the reputation they do. Some get good guns others get lemons and the CS dept doesnt care either way!

rem22long40x
March 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
First thing I do is clean and inspect before fireing.

CZguy
March 14, 2012, 03:01 AM
I spend a lot of time with a new to me gun before firing it for the first time. So I have every confidence that it will perform as expected. Having said that I always use PPE.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 14, 2012, 06:52 AM
Honestly, I'm the opposite of the OP. I hate used guns. I don't like knowing the history of the gun from start to finish. I like being the first and only shooter-post factory. Being the only one makes it truly mine, and who knows what other yahoos did with a gun before it got to me. That and I like modern everything. Computers, latest phones, upgrading things, etc. And with guns, that means I love polymer and black finishes. Give me the latest and newest any day.

GLOOB
March 14, 2012, 07:53 AM
You know a used gun has been fired before. What are the chances it's gonna blow up on the next shot? :) :)

The only time I was slightly uneasy shooting a new gun was when I bought a Ruger MKIII at a range and shot it right away. I didn't know how to take it down to inspect the barrel, yet.

Being the only one makes it truly mine, and who knows what other yahoos did with a gun before it got to me.
Unless I built it myself, I don't feel like something new off the shelf makes it any more special. Buying something used, examining it, and fixing it if necessary makes it more mine than swiping a credit card.

I've got an old 686-1 with a tiny bend in the crane and some endshake that I tightened up with a shim. Got knows what abuse it went through in its life. I don't care, cuz it was cheap and it shoots great. (I also figured out why it was so cheap. Light strikes. The gunshop owner didn't disclose this, but he suspiciously recommended a gunsmith while I was settling the bill... just in case. And all I had to do was tighten the strain screw and clean/lube it!) I also have a brand new, modern GP-100. If push came to shove, I'd sell the Ruger.

CaliCoastie
March 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
pass me the gun and ammo and ill fire away. I imagiane that after i get one that hmmm doesnt shoot normal ill probably be a bit more cautious, I had a friend that had just gotten a 303 infield and i pulled the trigger on that one.

Beak50
March 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
I don't hate any guns I think since the AR then the AUG Styer more guns are looking a lot more "space age"then the older crowd and most collectors haven't got that certain "bug" for them yet but everything changes with time.Imagine when the military starts using laser weapons for self defense.You would be kidding yourself if you don't think were headed in that direction.

Pilot
March 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
No, I don't hate new guns. I am not a huge polymer fan, but do see the reason they exist. I even own one. While I may prefer more traditional firearms, it is good to see some new designs, and innovation.

ObsidianOne
March 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
I was a little nervous about shooting my Mosin Nagant 91/30 the first time, but that's because it was unfired by it's previous owner and was expecting a face full of gas or some kind of failure. After the first shot I had fun :)

Skribs
March 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
I actually only buy new guns. That way if something goes wrong the manufacturer can't say "well, that gun was used, and it sounds like the original user did X which voids the warranty"...

Yes, I hate new guns. In fact, I hate them so much I think they should be shot!

I LOLed.

Overkilll0084
March 15, 2012, 02:35 PM
I only hate paying for them.
Aside from that, I'm good.

JimBoIHN
March 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Dang right...............because they belong to someone else. I have more guns than I know what to do with, and not that many, at that. I admire you guys who enjoy and stay active with yours. Guess I'm getting old. Would still enjoy doing some plinking with .22 or .223. I have started shooting skeet again, though. It's a blast. Joined the Ft. Hood gun club. You figure out where I'm from, eh, DM?

danburgess
March 16, 2012, 02:22 AM
Try shooting a 75 year old C&R with 50 year old ammo.

JimBoIHN
March 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
50 year old ammo ain't no big deal. I have some that I purchased and haven't used up.

walker944
March 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Yep, I hate new gun PRICES!!!

22-rimfire
March 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Every time I get a new gun and I get ready to fire it for the first time no matter what type/caliber it is I always get this nervousness/uneasiness about firing it.

I experience the same feelings, but to answer your question, No... I see no difference in terms of safety between an older "used" firearm and a new unfired one.

SlowFuse
March 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
I can see what you're saying, but to me i'm not sure if it is fear or adrenaline. I'd say the latter in my case.

marksg
March 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
Not really "hate" but a little apprehensive. Mainly because it's new to me. My wife and i went shooting so she could shoot the new mini-14 (she got it for me for valentines day) but she felt the same way, after the first two shots she was just fine with it.

CraigC
March 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
My passion is for old guns but there's plenty of "new" stuff that appeals to me. Whether it's "new" replicas of old guns, new takes on old ideas or just plain "new". I take what I can use and discard the rest.

Sheepdog1968
March 17, 2012, 06:42 PM
I won't say that I hate new guns but there're very few new guns that interest me. I like the guns that I own and it worked very well for me

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody Hate New Guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!