What is this ammo good for?

PDA

Vector
March 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
I was given large bag of ammo from a relatives friend who no longer shoots due to physical reasons. I have been going through it to separate all the different loads, many mixed together, some look like reloads. There are a bunch of boxes of Remington XLEANBORE Standard Velo .22 Short.
I have never seen these before and wonder what type of gun they are used in? I suspect a .22 revolver, but hopefully wise THR'ers will know.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this ammo good for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kd7nqb
March 13, 2012, 01:32 AM
is there suppose to be a picture attached. Also .22lr reloads are really rare so a pic might help.

Red Tornado
March 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
A lot of older .22 rifles will shoot 22 shorts. The Remington 5-teens come to mind. If the barrel is marked S,L,LR you'll be good to go. Some older revolvers are also chambered in short.
RT

Deus Machina
March 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
Yeah, not likely to find rimfire reloads of pretty much any type.

Shorts still find their place in revolvers, particularly one of the NAA minis, some old revolvers that were made for shorts in particular, or if you reinforce a little and want to shoot in your basement.

What's fun is using them in a lever-action. My Henry held something like 14 LR's, but 19 or 21 Shorts, and sounded like a BB gun. Was fun.

Steve C
March 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
22 shorts where used in International pistol competition for rapid fire turning targets where minimal recoil was an advantage. There where also some small pocket/purse guns chambered for the short. People also continue to use them as a low noise rifle round for varmints.

Shadow 7D
March 13, 2012, 02:14 AM
look up velo dog revolver

Salmoneye
March 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
My Winchester 1906 will fire S/L/LR, and most 'Gallery Guns' were chambered for shorts...

Bottom line is any .22 rimfire will 'fire' shorts, but they may not feed through the action, or eject from a semi auto...The chamber itself is fine with it...

JFrame
March 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
I shoot .22 CB shorts in my T/C Contender with a 14" match .22 LR barrel. It's pretty darned quiet, and not half bad for accuracy once I account for bullet drop versus LR.

hardluk1
March 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
The xleanbore was a selling gimick of the day starting back in the 1930's for remington. To bad there no box's for the ammo. If it is clean ,no mold or residual build up from the decades it my fire but know sure if I would try it. In the box's it has collectors value.

foghornl
March 13, 2012, 08:40 AM
When you say some look like reloads, are you refring to "center-fire" ammo? .22 rimfire reloads are well...darn near impossible to make.

Some of the .22 Shorts were also called "Gallery Loads", such ammo as had been used in the old-timey carnival "shooting gallery". Those "gallery" loads were usually either unplated very soft lead, or an early type of frangible bullet.

Other posters here have already covered the types of guns that could be used for theose .22 Shorts; I have seen a few very old revolvers that had cylinders made just for .22 Short.

Vector
March 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
Everyone,

Sorry about the confusion regarding reloads as I meant other calibers in the bag mixed together, not the .22's

The xleanbore was a selling gimick of the day starting back in the 1930's for remington. To bad there no box's for the ammo. If it is clean ,no mold or residual build up from the decades it my fire but know sure if I would try it. In the box's it has collectors value.

I am not sure what value they have, but the .22 shorts are in the green Remington boxes.

Gtimothy
March 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
I have a pair of Colt single shot derringers (Lord & Lady) that are chambered in 22 short.

StrawHat
March 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Good find on the Remington 22 Shorts. Check with the cartridge collector sites for a value. I have had several Winchester 1890s that were specifically chambered for the 22 Short. Fun rifles to carry and shoot and loading the tube once let me fire all day. A box of 50 made a small package to carry but was usually untouched at the end of the day.

I have a hard time thinking anyone seriously thought you meant you had reloaded rimfires.

WardenWolf
March 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Some people use .22 shorts simply because they're quiet. Useful for dispatching snakes and other small varmints. I've got a rifle that can fire them, but have never done it because that rifle is a hunk of trash and also has a bad extractor. It's a much better club than a rifle. I've considered .22 shorts for dispatching rattlesnakes around my home. I've also considered a pellet gun, but really don't want to pay the money for a good one.

Natsmith77
March 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
.22 shorts are deadly small game rounds...quiet and accurate. You can often hear your bullet impact. Just a ton of fun to shoot and even more can be carried than standard .22 Lr

Red Tornado
March 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
Google "Remington KLEANBORE Standard velocity .22 Short" and see if you can find the box that matches yours. Then someone might be able to tell you if there's any collector value. I have no idea, I'd just shoot 'em like a fool. ;)
RT
P.S. That's a stylized K that looks like an X in Kleanbore.

dogtown tom
March 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Red Tornado A lot of older .22 rifles will shoot 22 shorts....

All firearms chambered in .22LR will easily and safely fire .22 shorts.....not just older rifles.

If the firearm is a semi automatic or magazine fed, it is likely that you will need to load the round singly and extract manually, as it may not have enough power to operate a semi auto bolt.

303tom
March 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=Remington+XLEANBORE+picture&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SFB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=u3hfT_zzJMS62wWWiqiSCA&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=899

303tom
March 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
Shoot em......

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265939196

Nushif
March 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Yup. Lots of guns still use them. My wife has a Beretta and a Henry levergun that feed and cycle (well, lever action ... cycle) them just fine.

rcmodel
March 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
The xleanbore was a selling gimick of the day starting back in the 1930's for Remington.It actually wasn't a gimmick.

Remington was the first to come out with non-corrosive priming & smokeless powder in .22 RF, around 1920 something, and that is what they called it.

rc

SlowFuse
March 13, 2012, 01:13 PM
Shorts are good for introducing new shooters IMO. I usually use a Mark II. The combination of very low noise and no recoil along with the ability to load a single round at a time with no mag all have proven to make the best learning situation for newbies.

Vector
March 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
They look like this,

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe8VySjdHFC9NeptoMg8LElDnaylf6-fsslw76zqXlKzvU2o3flQ

mcdonl
March 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
I use them in my trapline gun (SA revolver with 9" bbl) and they are very quite and dispatch quite nicely.

Flopsweat
March 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
As for the reloads, I'd be hesitant to shoot someone else's reloads unless I know and trust the source.

JohnM
March 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
When we were kids we used to but shorts because they were cheap.
Seems like we could get them for like 15 cents a box sometimes.
Compared to 3 times that for LR. Can't remember what longs were, maybe the same as LRs.
Then there were the CBs, some times really cheap if a hardware store had a bunch they wanted to get rid of.

351 WINCHESTER
March 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Decades ago shorts were cheaper than longs or long rifle ammo. I don't know if they were that much quiter than long or long rifles. I think it was mostly about money (I know it was for me).

alsaqr
March 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
i have a Browning semi-auto rifle that is chambered for .22 shorts. Bought the gun in a PX in Korea in 1963.

hang fire
March 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
IIRCC ,the S&W .22 RF short was the first American metallic cartridge and came out in 1857 for the S&W revolver.

I can still remember when could buy .22 short, long, long rifle and extra long rifle cartridges.

trex1310
March 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
When I was a kid I must have shot a pickup truck load of .22 shorts
(they were cheaper than .22lr) in my Winchester single shot rifle.
They would be somewhat valuable nowadays.

27hand
March 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
My BIL uses shorts to hunt squirrels and he is very good at it.

I'm not sure what his ammunition source is but I know he finds them.Not sure what rifle he uses.

rcmodel
March 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Walmart had .22 Short on the self here, even during the ammo shortage after the last election.

The thing is, people won't pay more for real good .22 Shorts when they can buy crappy Long Rifle bulk-pack for less.

rc

Dr_B
March 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
The .22 shorts are great for shooting rats. Also fun for target practice in very small revolvers.

shuvelrider
March 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
^ Above post. That being said, are 22 shorts still available in the stores or not these days? I,m still using the bricks of them and other 22,s from my dads pile of ammo, since he died 12 years ago. Always fun to shoot years ago for small game season or plinking.

Sport45
March 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
We go through a bunch of .22 short because it's the only thing that will chamber in our High Standard Model C pistol.

pockets
March 14, 2012, 08:20 AM
That being said, are 22 shorts still available in the stores or not these days?
Most Walmarts carry 'CCI .22 Hi-Velocity Shorts' in 100-packs (as well as their low-power CB Shorts).
I've also had very good luck with Aquila .22 Shorts in pocket guns like Astra and Beretta. I buy those online usually. Although, some pocket guns prefer standard velocity rounds for efficient cycling.

Jim_100
March 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
I would follow what Flopsweat said about firing the centerfire reloads. Especially in a gun I like or with my right hand.

hardluk1
March 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Heres some priceing - http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/22_ammunition.html
http://ammolady.com/id8.html

JohnM
March 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hoo boy, don't that make ya weep. :D
I can remember a lot of those old boxes like it was yesterday instead of---------

hardluk1
March 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
40 or 50 years ago

JohnM
March 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Some over 50 years I think, I was in the service that many years ago and some look like from way before then.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is this ammo good for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!