Colt revolver folks

PDA

earthworm
March 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
What's the difference between the Colt Cobra & the Colt Agent? Aren't both aluminum-frame 6-shot .38SPL snubs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt revolver folks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guillermo
March 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
Agent was a "budget" Cobra.

Parkerized finish. Grips were a little shorter.

Great carry guns.

earthworm
March 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
Much obliged.

blazer610
March 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
I don't see anything budget about either of these Colts. Originally the Agent had a shorter grip frame and grip. Later all D frame guns received the shorter grip frame. Afterward, the Cobra came with a larger set of grips compared to the Agent's short grip. The Agent was 1 ounce lighter than the Cobra. I have later examples of both the revolvers and I'm unable to see any other difference, especially where quality or budget is concerned.

blazer610
March 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Several years after production ended for the Cobra, the Agent was produced with a matte blue and parkerized finish. Perhaps that's what the other poster referred to as budget.

My Agent is a third issue polished blue finish and the Cobra is a second issue with blue finish.

9mmepiphany
March 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
The original difference was that the Agent had the shorter gripframe.

When they changed all the D-frames to the shorter gripframe, the Agent and Cobra were identical except for markings.

After D-frame production stopped, the agent was brought back for a short time with the matte/parkerized finish. This saved money as it bypassed the final polish step

Ala Dan
March 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
Gentlemen:

We must reconize that the parkerized COLT AGENT reared its ugly head
during the "strike year's" at Colt~! Otherwise, the highly polished blued Agents
were "up to snuff"; alongside the Dick Special, and Cobra~! ;) :D

royal barnes
March 14, 2012, 10:05 PM
My '69 high polish blue Agent took offense to the term "budget". Only the strike years Agents were matte finish and were still the same on the inside.

ColtPythonElite
March 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
It is true that the later guns are the same except for the finish. However, the frames are neither blued or parkerized, because they are aluminum.

Pancake81
March 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
I think the deep blued Agents are just as beautiful as any other Colt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt revolver folks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!