Last Chance Bullets

PDA

lizziedog1
March 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
What brand and type of bullets do you use as a last resort in accuracy testing? These are bullets that if the gun doesn't shoot well you might have to throw the towel in. For me the must shoot bullets are Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I have found that ususally if these do not shoot well, hope for the gun is low.

So what are your must-shoot-well projectiles?

If you enjoyed reading about "Last Chance Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beatledog7
March 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
What chambering? For what purpose?

I like many, don't like a few. But the answer to the OP's question would be driven by many factors that are not addressed in the OP's question.

lizziedog1
March 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
Mainly I am refering to centerfire hunting type of cartridges. Like '06's, 223's, 308's and so on.

Blue68f100
March 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
For me Seria Matchking BTHP But I normally start with them for accuracy.

cfullgraf
March 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Different rifles like different bullets, brand and style, for me. I cannot say one brand or style of bullet necessarily shoots better in all my rifles.

I pretty much only buy Sierra, Hornady and Berger bullets, so maybe I am missing that "magic bullet".

LeonCarr
March 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
Another vote for Sierra Matchkings in rifles, and also the Sierra pistol bullets (JHP/JHC) in handguns when nothing else will shoot.

I have a buddy with a Weatherby Super Varmintmaster .308 with a 3.5-10 Leupold vari-X III that would not/could not shoot a three shot group under an inch to save its life. After cleaning the barrel, torquing action bolts, torquing and loctiting scope mounts, free floating the barrel, adjusting the trigger to three pounds, and shooting off of benchrest type shooting rests we got it down to right at an inch. After doing all that, we tried some handloads I brought using 168 Grain Sierra Matchking BTHPs with a near max load of IMR-4895. It went from 1 inch to 5/8 inch. He came over to the house the next Saturday and made 500 of that load.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

If you enjoyed reading about "Last Chance Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!