Coated bullets from Precision Bullet.

PDA

Bisbee
March 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
Has anybody tried their coated bullets in 9MM 125G FN? Would there be any issues if fired from a Glock 19? Is order filling and shipping on par with others? Your input is appreciated..

If you enjoyed reading about "Coated bullets from Precision Bullet." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
Here is what they say.
I've never tried it.
http://www.precisionbullets.com/faq.htm

rc

Walkalong
March 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
I have bought from them, and I received my bullets promptly. They were 200 Gr SWC's for .45 ACP, and they shoot quite well. I have no idea about shooting them in Glocks.

Owen
March 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
my expereince shooting them was in a Glock 17. I had quite a bit of leading at the muzzle and throughout the barrel. Thye may have been okay with a differnt recipe, but I didn't take the time to work one up.

Bisbee
March 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks all. That's the information I've been looking for..

hang fire
March 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
Down under in Australia the coated boolits is about all anyone uses. IIRC, theirs is a epoxy polymer baked on coating. Several EU countries are now using the same technology and the boolits are rapidly gaining favor. Some of these coated boolits are accurate at CF rifle jacketed velocities.

http://www.ares-gun.sk/?lang=english

I know over on Cast Boolits some guys are now experimenting at doing the same at home as the materials and equipment for doing so is readily available here in the US. It is generating much discussion and many comments.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87768

Blue68f100
March 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Interesting, with copper getting more and more expensive, I see it as an alternative. Hopefully it will preform as a std jacketed bullet at a cheaper cost. And not wear out barrels being to hard.

rabbit hunter
March 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
I have used 6 or 7000 of these bullets in 9mm & 45acp. They work great but there is one drawback. Using fast burning powder like Titegroup will cause the plastic coating to foul the bbl, kind of like leading, and it is very, very difficult to remove. I think the Precision website recommends a chemical solution to remove this fouling; but it is still difficult. The 9mm was the worst. I had no problem with the 45acp, 200g swc.

Master Blaster
March 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
a epoxy polymer baked (bakes below the melting point of lead??) on coating

Or is it a teflon related polymer compound?

Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade name Teflon) is heated to between 300 C and 450 C. When PTFE is heated above 450 C the pyrolysis products are different and inhalation may cause acute lung injury. Symptoms are flu-like (chills, headaches and fevers) with chest tightness and mild cough. Onset occurs about 4 to 8 hours after exposure to the pyrolysis products of PTFE. Signs: leukocytosis; normal chest x-ray.

The polymer fumes are especially harmful to certain birds whose breathing, optimized for rapidity, allows toxins which are excluded by human lungs. Fumes from Teflon in very high heat are fatal to parrots,[1] as well as some other birds. (PTFE Toxicosis, [1].)

Yes and when you shoot the bullets it burns Or vaproizes and you breathe it!!
Is this better or worse for your lungs and health than a little lead???

I used the coated bullets (precision cast black bullets) for a couple range outings and found that they caused me to have a sore throat even with good ventilation. They also leave black fouling that is very hard to clean out. So it could actually be worse than an uncoated bullet for your lungs and health.

Copper plated does not have this problem and is also accurate and inexpensive.

JMHO YMMV

bds
March 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
Precision Bullets ... Would there be any issues if fired from a Glock 19?
my expereince shooting them was in a Glock 17. I had quite a bit of leading at the muzzle and throughout the barrel. Thye may have been okay with a differnt recipe, but I didn't take the time to work one up.
This is what their FAQ page says - http://www.precisionbullets.com/faq.htm
Q: Can I use Precision Bullets in my Glock?

A: Yes and No. We have many Glock shooters using Precision Bullets in factory Glock barrels with great results. However, I tell all Glock shooters it is try and see. If you have tried plated bullets and accuracy was good without keyholing, then ours should be fine. If you have tried traditional cast lead bullets and accuracy was good after 200+ rounds without heavy fouling, then our bullets will work fine and shoot a lot cleaner.

If your Glock won’t shoot Precision Bullets, then it will have problems fast—heavy fouling in 50 to 100 rounds, very poor accuracy, keyholing, etc. Then you will have to stick with jacketed bullets. However, this is very rare.

Master Blaster
March 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
I think the Precision website recommends a chemical solution to remove this fouling; but it is still difficult. The 9mm was the worst. I had no problem with the 45acp, 200g swc.

They recommend paracetic acid, that's peroxide and white vinegar. They don't mention that it can destroy the bluing on some guns and reacts with certain barrel steel alloys to produce pitting in short order!!!!

AVOID them.

wingman
March 29, 2012, 01:04 PM
Few years ago used a spray type moly for coating 45acp bullets within a year I had barrel pitting bought another barrel never used moly again, while it may have improved at this point I simply see no advantage in using it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coated bullets from Precision Bullet." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!