March 15, 2012, 03:38 PM
Is it the worst show on cable?

What say you....

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/DDD4.gif

Will Hayden, he is a game changer, HA HA

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/will.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/will2.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/RedSoloCup/WILLrjgatling.jpg

I would definitely take TOP SHOT over this but American Guns may a slight step up but not much.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cable Gun Shows - Which is the worst?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
March 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
Where's the poll? I don't see the poll.

imac98374
March 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Future Weapons = Top Shot = Lock N' Load with R. Lee Ermey > Sons of Guns >>> American Guns

earlthegoat2
March 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Top Shot by far.

The Real World with guns thrown in.

Jonah71
March 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
Top Shot is the worst imo. But then I've pretty much given up on watching any of them. I get better info and more entertainment just hanging around the local gun shops.

REL1203
March 15, 2012, 07:03 PM
I Will take just about any show dealing with Guns over crap like American Idol, Americas Got Talent, Dancing with Has-beens.... I will watch American Guns or Sons of Guns every day if that was all i was given cause in the long runs, i like watching a show dealing with guns more than I like watching crap reality shows about singing or dancing...

Kevin Rohrer
March 15, 2012, 07:06 PM
Top Shot is the worst.

The best for me was One Man Army. Wow. My job used to require me to do some of the stuff I saw in that show, so I really appreciated what the contestants went through. Sadly, it only went one season.

UKWildcatFan
March 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Sons is Guns really does some wierd crap, IMHO. Supressing a .50? C'mon, just stop. Stop.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 15, 2012, 08:06 PM
I think Top Shot is the best one, sure there is the drama that I don't actually pay attention to but it has real shooting going on in actual competition. The Drama isn't on the same level as Sons of Guns or near as bad as American Guns.

Sons is Guns really does some wierd crap, IMHO. Supressing a .50? C'mon, just stop. Stop.

I'm not too keen on DB ratings but they suppressed a supersonic .50 BMG to less DBs then I've seen with suppressed .22 pistols. According to SilencerCO and Sons of Guns's DB tests, it's louder to shoot a .22 pistol inside then a .50 BMG outside.

Mainsail
March 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
Regardless of our thoughts on the quality of the shows, I am nonetheless amazed that shows like that are even on TV. Ten years ago, twenty years ago; nobody would believe you if you told them such shows dealing with guns would ever be on TV. Like open carry, it mainstreams firearms ownership. Every show in the 70s, 80s, or 90s was written to make gun owners look like Neanderthals or worse, and many gun owners went into the closet (not the one with the gays in it, a different closet).

PR-NJ
March 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
They're all pretty bad. Firearms and hunting shows just don't seem to work on TV (at least not for me). Kind of like hockey: great live, not so great on TV.

For whatever reason, however, I can watch fishing shows.

2zulu1
March 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
Larry Potterfield showing what a terrible shot he is. Haven't seen some of the shows mentioned above.

pockets
March 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
'Top Shot': It has the entertainment value of watching paint dry.
'American Guns': Just an annoying group of people....all of them!

'Sons Of Guns': I watch it every week now. Why? Because it is the ONLY gun show which my wife insists upon watching with me! ANY gun show that can do that, gets a thumbs-up from me. Once I just accepted it at face-value, it became what it is.....'entertainment'.
Besides, I love the Tab Benoit song (Shelter Me) they use for a theme.

My favorite gun show is probably 'American Rifleman' on the Outdoor Channel. I love the 'I have this old gun' segment. I usually DVR the whole block of Wednesday night shows there.

mxl
March 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
Top Shot and Son's of Guns are both so lame that I don't waste my time with either.

HOOfan_1
March 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
The Photoshopped revolver with the barrel facing backward did make me laugh pretty hard

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
I thought that gun was real because of how long it's been on the internet and out of all things it's a Nagant revolver. Russians have been known to create really crazy guns.

pockets
March 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
That Nagant revolver always reminds me of Matt Helm's backwards firing pistol.
Yes, I did look at other things in that movie besides Ann-Margret. :D

phil dirt
March 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
I've watched all of them at one time or another, and all, except "The American Rifleman," are pretty bad. My wife caught me watching one of them. I can't remember the name of the show, but its about the gunshop in Louisiana. I was truely embarrased that my wife had caught me, and she has no problem with me owning guns.

Ryanxia
March 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
Let's not forget that old chestnut TALES OF THE GUN. Used to be my favorite.

Skyshot
March 16, 2012, 03:10 PM
I watch them all and think most of them are pretty stupid, but I still watch, I suppose if they put "normal" people on them no one would watch. American Rifleman is the best and most informative.

Gator 23
March 16, 2012, 09:37 PM
Sons of Guns - the daughter, her trashy mouth/attitude, and the focus on her boyfriend really kills some of the interesting GUN stuff that show is supposedly about.

gym
March 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
tied

Bojangles7
March 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Sons of guns is hands down the worst. I like the new Top Guns show. None of that drama crap all the others have.

barnbwt
March 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Let's not forget that old chestnut TALES OF THE GUN. Used to be my favorite.

The Luger episode is what got me interested in autoloading pistol actions as a lad!

All I can remember of the show itself at this point is the incredibly dry, hardboiled introduction "disclaimer"

Sons of Guns et. all (and for that matter most of the "blue collar worker" reality shows) tick me off since they falsely(God, I hope falsely) portray themselves as incompetent boobs for drama so often.

Guns are serious, making them for others to operate is more so. It annoys me to see professionals in a highly skilled technical field depicted as slack-jawed yokels.

Rant over, carry on...

TCB

DammitBoy
March 16, 2012, 11:01 PM
Gun Stories is without a doubt the best with Shooting USA and the Shooting Gallery type shows sponsored by Midway USA being pretty darn good.

Shows like sons of guns and american guns are scrapping the bottom of the barrel of bad...

Iramo94
March 16, 2012, 11:11 PM
Watching Top Shot isn't anywhere near as painful as the "reality" shows, but that's probably because I know a one of the contestants this year. Other than that, bad teevee is bad teevee. Doesn't matter if it is about the Kim Kardashian or about Sam Colt.

Incidentally, Auto Correct wants to replace "Kardashian" with "Kalashnikov." I lol'd.

nosmr2
March 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
Sons of Guns and American guns are just plain horrible. I don't know enough to catch everything bogus. But I know enough to call BS way too often. Also, just not a fan of bad reality TV, American Choppers, Ice Road whatever, Monster Garage, etc. I do like the Midway USA sponsored shows. But apparently someone is watching them......

InkEd
March 16, 2012, 11:55 PM
American Guns is the worst. Everything price they quote is overpriced. The products he makes look crappy. He had to bring goofy bartering stuff instead of an extra $300 cash to close a deal because he used the real money to fuel his rented helicopter. There's an aura of d-baggery surrounding the whole family, especially the father and the spoiled dingy daughter. The son does some simple flat etching and thinks he's a master hand engraver.

However, I do love the way the bumbling gunsmiths that are kept locked into the basement like somekind of C.H.U.D. only allowed to see daylight to get bad advice from the owner on how-to bubba a simple repair.

chevyman097
March 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Wait, I dont get it....

Some thing on that TV box you watch in your home was dumb or fake? An out rage!

Nugilum
March 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
Oh how short everyone's memory is...

Future Weapons hosted by Richard "Mack" Machowicz :p

45bthompson
March 17, 2012, 01:18 AM
That "American Guns" girl almost makes up for the rest of the show. Too bad its not on cinamax!

danprkr
March 17, 2012, 01:44 AM
I quit watching them when the took R. Lee Ermey's show Lock N Load off.

LubeckTech
March 17, 2012, 01:54 AM
I wish The Outdoor Channel would have kept Tom Gresham's show that used to be part of Wensday Night at the Range

TenRingGuns.com
March 17, 2012, 02:06 AM
They're all terrible, completely scripted, and trying to create the drama the family drama that American Chopper originally created.

The family on American Guns is absolutely annoying, the father, extremely arrogant. How many pics does he have of himself shaking some "famous" person's hand?

Inebriated
March 17, 2012, 04:44 AM
Lock n Load > Top Shot = Top Guns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> American Guns = Suns of Guns

moon928
March 17, 2012, 05:02 AM
They're all pretty sad,,, american gun can build anything for 20 grand lol,,, the simpleton son in law on sons of guns annoys the crap out of me,,, If any producers are reading this give us something that isn't like either of these,,, Occasionally you do see a classic firearm, but then they gloss over it when that's the most interesting part of the show. Either these programs are dumbed down for the masses or they think gun owners are all idiots. There's usually more information and entertainment in a you tube video which isn't saying a lot.

303tom
March 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Don`t watch Cable Gun Shows..............

drcook
March 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
American Guns is the worst of the "scripted shows". The high dollar single action that was supposedly built for the "preacher" was a bogus story line. The guy that is "The Preacher" is a SASS shooter, and that is his persona. He posted over on one of the SASS forums that he was approached by the show producers to be in that episode and that he had nothing at all to do with the pistol, other than being in the show.

Plus if you research the history of the family it gets interesting.

Second has got to be Sons of Guns, with the others coming in a close third. I read out on the web that the guy that held the FFL for Sons of Guns was the guy that left to start up his own shop. Red Jacket is a company that all of them work for as they lost their original FFL due to some weapons that couldn't be accounted for.

I would suspect that the only reason that they are working at all is because there is an entire generation of people in this country who are clueless.

The shows on "jousting" are creeping in right close also also.

Gtimothy
March 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
i will take just about any show dealing with guns over crap like american idol, americas got talent, dancing with has-beens.... I will watch american guns or sons of guns every day if that was all i was given cause in the long runs, i like watching a show dealing with guns more than i like watching crap reality shows about singing or dancing...
I totally agree!!!!!!

jeepnik
March 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
There's gun shows on TV:what::what: Why that could lead to the downfall of western civilization.

rduchateau2954
March 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
I watch all the gun dramas. I would rather watch reality shows for men then another nameless gun show where the hosts talk about every gun they review like it's the greatest gun they have ever shot.

Elkins45
March 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
I've never seen American Guns.

Sons of Guns started out OK when it was actually a show about guns. Now that it has morphed into a show about people it's the worst of the ones I've seen. All the manufactured drama gets old really fast.

CraigC
March 17, 2012, 05:29 PM
Sons of Guns is horrible. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Top Shop and think that it does the best job of protraying shooters in a positive light.

Anything is better than "House Wives" or those damned Kardashians. Although I'd much rather watch them with the wife than Sons of Guns.

DammitBoy
March 17, 2012, 06:14 PM
I quit watching them when the took R. Lee Ermey's show Lock N Load off.

Now THAT was a great show!

The Sarge
March 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
Sons of Guns gives me the runs. Makes my teeth yellow and I break out in itchy hives.
I will not watch Sons of Guns for health reasons.

PT92
March 17, 2012, 09:58 PM
Prior to complaining I would first like to say that there are some good gun shows on TV 'relatively' and perhaps unavoidably 'subjectively' speaking. For instance, I think essentially any gun show on the Outdoor Channel and there are quite a few is of very good quality:

American Rifleman
Best Defense
Shooting Gallery (last week's ballistic tests episode was great)
Shooting USA
Personal Defense
etc...

If you haven't seen these shows DVR them and run through the commercials and you can watch 4-5 episodes in one evening (though many are gun-related commercials and may be of interest for you).

All that being said, the Discovery programs (American and Sons of Guns both) 'take the cake' if you will (I don't really want to use the adjective worst but if were forced, I would identify these two shows). They are as scripted as any Hollywood Production as they are looking for much more 'broader' audience and not just 'gun-aficianados.' And when you are shooting for more of a diverse "general-type" viewer-ship, they will fictionalize (at least to some extent) the show. I don't like this but will still watch it from that understood perspective.

-Cheers

Kingofthehill
March 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
WORST! The other one with the step kids and giraffe daughter in colorado is just about as bad though. If anyone ever gets bored, google their reviews! People pissed and taking them to small claims court for engraving "Gunsmoke" on the gun when they didn't want it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/sdlkec.jpg

jj1962hemi
March 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
I'm OK with Top Shot, but ignore the drama. The marksmanship is top notch. I used to like Mail Call (so did my wife), with R. Lee Ermey.

theicemanmpls
March 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
IMO the worse is American Guns with the trashy women showing off their store bought titties. If I am watching a gun show, I want guns, not breasts with bad implants. There are other venues to watch better boobies.

Kingofthehill
March 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
LOL, just found this picture searching American Guns

http://i44.tinypic.com/2yvmann.jpg

MBane666
March 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen! We've been out in California filming Season 2 of GUN STORIES, and it is going to totally rock. Joe Mantegna has been magnificent to work with...for Season 2, he's going to be shooting all the guns...I have to let him do that, or he'll get all "stabby" (apologies to "The Simpsons!").

SHOOTING GALLERY in its new hour-long format has had its best season ever. Both SG and THE BEST DEFENSE (TBD) have been renewed for 2013. Mike Seeklander has been a great addition to TBD, and I think this year's scenarios on TBD were our best ever.

Watch for RAPID FIRE, hosted by Top Shot alumni Iain Harrison and Mr. Seeklander Q4 this year.

I can't say enough about Outdoor Channel's support for firearms programming...I've got pretty amazing latitude in what I put on, and my whole team's goal can be summed up in a word--better!

Michael B

PS: The real heroes of the SG ballistics show were Ron and the guys at GUNSITE who mixed 28 containers of ballistic gel!

Kingofthehill
March 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hey, its Michael Bane... Too cool!

I love the shows but lost my job and had to cut the cable. No more for me, I really like the new layout of your show. Joe Mantegna is an awesome character for Gun Stories. Love that show

I worked for a few years as a teenager (1999-2001) at Oak Tree gun club in Newhall where you do the celebrity shooting. What an awesome show and location.

Those 2 shows as well as the new Top Guns and Hot Shots (With Jerry Miculek, KC Eusebio, Patrick Flanigan, and Randy Oitker) are the best of the best IMO
If anyone hasn't seen Hot Shots http://www.hotshotsnbc.com/index.php?/

Keep up all the great work!

Sapo45
March 18, 2012, 12:36 AM
The episode where the "working rancher" wouldn't buy a uberti 1866 winchester because he wanted one made in the usa and spent $20,000 for them to build one from scratch, sure believed that one. The shop owner never even mentioned getting a Henry yellow boy(built in the godd ole USA) for about $800.

Fishslayer
March 18, 2012, 06:03 AM
Tried to watch Sons of Guns today for the first time. I hardly made it past the opening credits. Who watches this stuff?:what::barf:

rskent
March 18, 2012, 06:38 AM
I think these shows are great. American Gun is hilarious. The fake drama is
over the top, but itís just a TV show. Itís made to be fun to watch. Itís not
a documentary. Would you like it better, watching reruns of I love Lucy?

Who doesnít like looking at nice guns and pretty women?
Steve

Blue Line
March 18, 2012, 07:43 AM
Terrible show

rodinal220
March 18, 2012, 10:26 AM
Its a tie for me between "Sons of Guns" and "American Guns" I only watch them to count the number of technical mistakes about firearms,outlandish prices quoted,fakery,lies,deception and foolishness as to claims being "professional" and "only WE can handle a Glock 40;)".

Some people must be really desperate to be on tv.

DammitBoy
March 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen! We've been out in California filming Season 2 of GUN STORIES, and it is going to totally rock. Joe Mantegna has been magnificent to work with...for Season 2, he's going to be shooting all the guns...I have to let him do that, or he'll get all "stabby" (apologies to "The Simpsons!").

I can't say enough about Outdoor Channel's support for firearms programming...I've got pretty amazing latitude in what I put on, and my whole team's goal can be summed up in a word--better!

Mr. Bane, I love your shows! Gun Stories is the best thing on television.

That said, if you have that kind of latitude, would you please consider making a show for R. Lee Ermey to host?

MilsurpShooter
March 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't watch'em. Used to watch sons of guns for awhile but after the first season it just seemed to change from guns to family drama. Tried watching that gunsmoke one. Nearly wanted to get into it when I saw the Yellowboy they made but again, when they started showing the mother daughter combo it just seemed like "sex sells" and get more airtime of them.

I'll stick with that crazy FPS Russia guy on youtube. Short, entertaining and explosions lol

MBane666
March 18, 2012, 06:30 PM
Tried to get R. Lee Ermey for GUN STORIES, but he's under contract to another network...

mb

CraigC
March 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Since Mike is present, I'll go ahead and say that Shooting Gallery is among the best of the shooting shows. I particularly enjoyed the episodes on suppressors and the visit with Hamilton Bowen. Keep up the good work Mike!

I also like Tactical Arms. ShootingUSA is usually good too.

Most of the hunting shows are crap.

Kaeto
March 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately I can't watch the outdoor channel. It and another channel I'd like to watch 'RFD TV' are not offered on my cable.

stealth
March 19, 2012, 01:01 AM
Whats that old bumper sticker say .. "Shoot your TV!"
Yeah.. and probably more entertaining too.

BigN
March 19, 2012, 04:30 AM
They're all pretty bad but Sons of Guns is the worst.

M-Cameron
March 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
i lost all respect for RJF when i realized this was the height of their engineering ability.......

Smokin Gator
March 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
" The shop owner never even mentioned getting a Henry yellow boy(built in the godd ole USA) for about $800."

Are you referring to the Henry "Big" Boy, that is nothing like a Winchester 66 or an original Henry? Mark

Carl N. Brown
March 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
My wife and I prefer to watch "Swamp People". Both of us got burnrd out on Richie very quickly.

chute2thrill
March 20, 2012, 12:35 AM
Personally if I want to watch people with guns acting like goofballs.. I fast foward Ax Men to Shelby Stangas parts.. Dudes nuts with that .44

nwilliams
March 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Worst I would say is definitely American Guns

I will watch Top Shot but I don't like all the drama.

I enjoy watching Top Gun.

Pilot
March 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
I wish The Outdoor Channel would have kept Tom Gresham's show that used to be part of Wensday Night at the Range

I liked that show also. Tom's a class act, and I know him a little through aviation. I really don't watch the others much, but R. Lee Ermey is always entertaining.

mgmorden
March 20, 2012, 03:18 PM
Top Shot > Top Guns > American Guns > Sons of Guns

I still haven't seen Hot Shots so I can't judge it.

Personally though I think Top Shot could do without some of the drama, it doesn't bother me much. Top Guns is usually the same guns the next night but more informal shooting/testing than the dramatized competition.

As far as the gunsmithing shows go, I like American Guns FAR, FAR more than Sons of Guns. Most obvious reason is that American Guns seems to actually work on actual guns that are a little more down to earth.

Sons of Guns is always building weirdo cannons or gatling guns or mounted doodads on vehicles. It takes the whole concept of "Tacticool", and says "You know what? I gotta have more cowbell!!!".

General Tso
March 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
How about Tac TV with Larry Vickers? I love it. Any of y'all watched it?

joeq
March 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sons of Guns is the worst and it's not close.

wannabeagunsmith
March 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
I could only stand watching a 30-second clip of "American Guns" before I nearly threw up.... I do like top shot though.

Fishslayer
March 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Some people must be really desperate to be on tv.

I'd sell out in a heartbeat but nobody's buying. :(

The amount of money those TV shows are worth is stagggering. To most of us this stuff is merely entertaining or a bad joke. But out of the people who watch a certain percentage are gonna want red jacket this or gunsmoke that...

Can you say "Helicopter Lure?" :rolleyes:

SpeedAKL
March 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
*Ducks under the table*

I actually don't mind Sons of Guns. I won't go out of my way to watch it, but don't mind flipping it on while I'm trying to finish up dinner. The drama can be staged and silly, but some of the knuckleheaded behavior can be funny. The gun-related content is interesting ehough, though it's obviously dumbed-down for general audiences.

Only seen a couple episodes of Top Shot. Again, wouldn't go out of my way to watch it and the drama is ridiculous, but can't complain about seeing competitve shooting on prime time TV....

Jackqm
March 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
To be honest, I will gladly watch any of them over most of the crap on TV. But much prefer the ones on outdoor channel, imagine that gun shows without drama.

But by FAR the worst is American Guns, its so far fetched and the family so arrogant its hard to get into at all. A close 2nd is Sons of Guns, that poor girls voice just grates on my last nerve, I have to fast forward through any part she says more than 4 words in.

I actually like top shot, minus the drama.

To me if it has some guns in it, shown in a halfway positive light and not making all of us look like total nimrods then I'm ok with it.

PT92
March 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
How about Tac TV with Larry Vickers? I love it. Any of y'all watched it?
Pretty good show indeed (though Larry could stand to lose a few lbs. for sure being a retired special forces guy and all...?).

-Cheers

xfyrfiter
March 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
LAV has lost a few for the new ones, looks more like he was spec ops than mall ninja. The best of the shows imo Gun Stories with Joe Mantegna,Shooting Gallery,Top Guns, Hot Shots, Tac TV with LAV, leads down to Top Shot, which is the worst of the good ones. The rest are just made for TV drama like The Kardashians etc. Just my $.02 worth.

parsimonious_instead
March 21, 2012, 12:09 PM
In honor of last night's episode of Top Shot, I'll say that Greg comes across as "one crew short of a crew-served weapon."

rskent
March 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Larry Vickers is one of my favorites.
Nobody does a gun torture test like LAV. Some people think dumping a little dirt on a gun is torture.
I donít think so.
Throw it out of a helicopter, shoot it with a shotgun, Blow it the fu** up.Thatís torture!

PT92
March 23, 2012, 05:36 PM
LAV has lost a few for the new ones, looks more like he was spec ops than mall ninja. The best of the shows imo Gun Stories with Joe Mantegna,Shooting Gallery,Top Guns, Hot Shots, Tac TV with LAV, leads down to Top Shot, which is the worst of the good ones. The rest are just made for TV drama like The Kardashians etc. Just my $.02 worth.
IMO you nailed it!

-Cheers

PT92
March 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
Larry Vickers is one of my favorites.
Nobody does a gun torture test like LAV. Some people think dumping a little dirt on a gun is torture.
I donít think so.
Throw it out of a helicopter, shoot it with a shotgun, Blow it the fu** up.Thatís torture!
Indeed--the torture tests he conducted with the Glock as well as the Daniel Defense assembled AR were both great shows.

-Cheers

mrvco
March 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
Other than simply being unwatchable, I tend to question the motives of the folks producing and airing some of the aforementioned "worst of the worst" gun-related shows.

That being said, I love what Outdoor Channel is doing with their programming. Gun Stories is always great and while it has taken a little bit for Shooting Gallery's new format to grow on me, it is great to see it developing into a high-quality hour long show that I look forward to seeing each week.

JimStC
March 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
Sons of Guns is an insult to our intelligence. It is trash with trashy people. Watched it once. Never will again.

PT92
March 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Other than simply being unwatchable, I tend to question the motives of the folks producing and airing some of the aforementioned "worst of the worst" gun-related shows.

That being said, I love what Outdoor Channel is doing with their programming. Gun Stories is always great and while it has taken a little bit for Shooting Gallery's new format to grow on me, it is great to see it developing into a high-quality hour long show that I look forward to seeing each week.

I think soembody mentioned that they are about ready to begin airing Season 2 of Gun Stories. I emailed Joe Montegna and he sent me an autographed Gun Stories photo--he just needed a return self-addressed envelope, what a great guy and tremendous advocate of Second Amendment rights!

And last week's Shooting Gallery's ballistic tests were priceless if you ask me (really found the Taurus Judge load results to be quite interesting).

-Cheers

nosmr2
March 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Though Outdoor Life Network doesn't have the biggest budget for production, I think they do an awesome job with what they have. I would take facts over drama/BS/lies/stupid crap any day of the week.

bluethunder1962
March 23, 2012, 09:35 PM
I used to love son of guns. I hate it now. It is just a soap opra. The cameras have got to 3 of them. Vience was one of the only gunsmith on there now they blame him for everything. Cris said he would stand in front of the bus for anybody before he throws them under it. BULL SHIF. He said that right before he threw vience under the bus because he would not bail him out when he showed how stupid he is.

pinstripe
March 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sons of guns. If I were frome Louisiana I would be extremely upset. He makes gun folks from here look like idiots. Hey, lets make this hacksaw fire .50 bmg with a fire extinguisher and an alarm clock. Thats crazy!!!!!! Please. Like he is trying to find an answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

clg114
March 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
My favorite was Gun Stories on the Outdoor Channel. I say 'was', because it doesn't seem to be on anymore. What happened? That was a good show.

leftymachinist
March 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Well, guess I'll toss in my common cents. I DO NOT watch those as I don't have cable/satellite boob tube. I work in a community college running the machine lab. When I started here 9years ago everyone wanted to bulid choppers. That was bad enough. Now everyone wants to be a gunsmith. Television helps to dumb us down, as we continue on slippery side of the slope.

coloradokevin
March 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
I Will take just about any show dealing with Guns over crap like American Idol, Americas Got Talent, Dancing with Has-beens.... I will watch American Guns or Sons of Guns every day if that was all i was given cause in the long runs, i like watching a show dealing with guns more than I like watching crap reality shows about singing or dancing...

Exactly. I'm happy to watch Sons of Guns, American Guns, Top Shot, or any other shooting show, especially when compared with some of our other choices on the television.

Plus, Gunsmoke (Rich Wyatt's shop from American Guns) is only about a 5 minute drive from my house. He's got a neat little store, and I think he's a fun guy to talk to; some people seem to think he's obnoxious, but I've found him to be personable and entertaining.

BUCKrub91
March 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
top guns is the worst.. same host as top shot..

I like top shot and sons of guns is entertaining but I would never buy anything from them
never seen american guns...

GunnyUSMC
March 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
American Guns or Sons of Guns
One word, "Entertainment" That is what these shows are for.
But they are not geared for gun people. Shows made for gun people don't stay on the air very long. That is because gun people loose interest in them in a short time.
If you think that the gun shops are calling the shots with what goes on the air or what they build, then you are one that still believes in the Easter Bunny.:neener: Hell, you may even believe everything that is on the evening News.
I do watch some of the shows from time to time, but never go out of my way to watch them.
But there is a plus side to these shows. They have gotten more people into guns these last few years.
Also look at how much info or topics on these shows are on the web. :what:

larryh1108
March 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Top Shot started out to be a great show to watch. Then they moved to the reality type soap opera when they started seeking out the prima donnas and cry babies. They ruined what was a good show that showed skill under pressure as well as some really cool high speed shots that were slowed down to view. Now it's a bunch of Survivor wannabes. Too bad, they ruined a good thing.

horizonod
March 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
Sons of guns is more about a bunch of celebrity drunk, self engrandizing drama queens doing stupid **** to guns and acting like they invented fukin fire when they bolt a tazer to a shotgun. That ferret faced skank and chinless boyfriend are so proud of themselves it's sickening. It IS the worst not to mention it is juvinile and irresponsible,...just like most other Discovery channel fare. Are they TRYING to get people hurt???

Nuclear
March 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Personally I can't stand Larry Vickers as a host, he just comes across as a pompous know it all. I know he is ex-SF and all that, but I was watching a show he was on about assault rifles, and my son stopped, watched him for a few minutes, and commented "he makes machine guns boring".

American Rifleman has the worst production of all the TV gun programs. It looks like some teenagers are doing it as a high school project.

Bowfishrp
March 29, 2012, 04:46 PM
Its all about drama. Thats why I DVR all of them and then fast forward through all the drama garage. Dont care about who hates who or who is pissed. I want to see guns and see them shoot. I also HATE it when they dont show HOLES in the stuff they shoot. I realize they are trying to appease the masses who want to see stuff blow up and it is pretty cool sometimes....however, if you shoot a SAFE with an artillery piece, I want to see the giant hole that thing blows in it! I dont want to see the safe full of explosives!

Hey at least there are GUN SHOWS on prime TV!!!!!! So I wont complain too much. I get to see weapons!!!!!

MAKster
March 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
The worst is the Jim Shockey show where he has his elderly father and father in law. These guys are 85 and can barely stand let alone hold a rifle. He props them up in a blind and they pull the trigger on an elk or black bear not more than 10 yards away. They play the whole thing for laughs and show them constantly falling asleep and forgetting things but it is very painful to watch.

Airborne Falcon
March 31, 2012, 09:37 PM
All of those reality gun shows suck imho. But it just does not get any worse than the one where the Coon Asses down around NOLA build guns or the one with the slime ball and his family running a shop in Colorado somewhere like they are big dogs.

Anyone ever actually done any research on that guy out in Colorado? That guy has one helluva horrible reputation as a scam artist and unscrupulous businessman who will screw you over at the drop of a hat when it comes to your firearms.

mnhntr
April 1, 2012, 12:42 AM
Sons of guns = worst
Gun stories or Top shot = best
I really like the camera work on top shot.
Joe Montagna is a great host on Gun stories.

GunnyUSMC
April 3, 2012, 07:49 AM
I watched American Chopper last night. To me the show would have been much better if it didn't have all the drama about Paul Sr. and the two boys. There was more BS then there was about building anything.
As I was watching the show I thought about this thread and wondered if they were bashing American Chopper on Choppre forums.
Then I thought about how many Bike shops I see these days building choppers. Hell, there are three shops within 20 miles of my house that are building choppers.
Could it be that American Chopper made choppers so popular that these shops opened to fill the demand for choppers, or did they open these shops to show thar they could build something better. No matter the reason why these shops have open, they are out there.
So no matter how much these gun shows suck, it may be a good thing. More non gun people will want to get guns and some gun people will want to show that they can build and sell something better. Hell, we may even have a High Road member start up his own gun shop to build better guns. I just hope that they don't get their own gun show. :p

SharkHat
April 3, 2012, 09:09 AM
+1 Gunny

The lame drama does wear many people out, but it serves a purpose. It appeals to a lot of people who may not already have much experience with guns or shooting. Getting more people interested benefits all of us, except maybe at the ammo shelf.

Personally, I could never stand to watch golf on TV until I started playing. Now I can watch a tournament from start to finish.

PT92
April 3, 2012, 11:00 AM
Sons of guns = worst
Gun stories or Top shot = best
I really like the camera work on top shot.
Joe Montagna is a great host on Gun stories.
I emailed Joe Mantegna asking for an autographed pic and he said send an 8x10 self-addressed envelope. I did so and now I have a "treasured" autographed pic with a "Gun Stories" theme of one of my favorite actors as well as a Champion for the Second Amendment (which isn't easy being in Lefty-Hollywood). Great guy.

-Cheers

fulltanghalo
May 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
American Guns just moved into my #1. Things I've learned tonight:

Kriss Super V Pistol, totally fine with a forward grip attached, it's a pistol, cause it doesn't have a butt-stock....

Firearms have to be over 27" in overall length to not be illegal, not once, twice but three times, once in the continuous shot, broken in by an "one on one with the camera shot", and confirmed by the guy measuring the gun...

Bmac1949
May 3, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'm dating myself here but my all time favorite, I know it wasn't technically a gun show, was Wild kingdom with Marlin Perkins and Jim. marlin would tell Jim to go wrestle anything from an anaconda to a warthog and ole Jim would take them down. I rarely missed it as a kid. One time Jim wrestled an armadillo down in South America that went over 200 pounds. Not exactly noodling catfish. To respond to the OP, American Guns is the pits. Totally bogus and scripted.

sleepyone
May 3, 2012, 09:24 PM
American Boobs :what:, er... Guns is horrible. The dad would probably let his wife and daughter walk around buck naked if he thought it would help the show. hey... maybe we are on to something. :cool:

The dad, on Sons of Guns, Will?, is about as big a moron as there is. :cuss: If he is that big of a pri** off camera as he is on camera, I don't imagine he can keep anyone worth a flip longterm. Like previous posts have said some of the things they do are not only impractical they are just plain ridiculous! :confused:

sleepyone
May 3, 2012, 09:29 PM
+1 on Wild Kingdom! Never missed a show unless I was grounded from TV.

What was that quote Marlin used all the time when Jim got his prey? "It looks like Jim has him now" or something close to that. Classic!

c.latrans
May 3, 2012, 10:26 PM
"I'll wait in the Jeep while Jim snatches the grizzly cub away from his mother"......Marlin Perkins.

PT92
May 3, 2012, 11:02 PM
Too many to mention but there are some GREAT ones as well--Mr. Mantegna was kind enough to sign this for me:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/markewall/photo.jpg

-Cheers

USAF_Vet
May 3, 2012, 11:56 PM
I would say American Guns, hands down. I made it through one and a half episodes of AG, and do not regret missing every one since. However, I do watch Sons of Guns despite the drama. I enjoy Top Shot, as does the wife. They really didn't have a whole lot of drama this season. Just watched the finale this morning. Top Shot has its moments where I just want to skip to the shooting, but I stick with it. I do yell at the tv watching SoG, but it's more a guilt pleasure and I get to see some nice weapons I'll never own. AG just made me want to shoot my tv.

PT92
May 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
I would say American Guns, hands down. I made it through one and a half episodes of AG, and do not regret missing every one since. However, I do watch Sons of Guns despite the drama. I enjoy Top Shot, as does the wife. They really didn't have a whole lot of drama this season. Just watched the finale this morning. Top Shot has its moments where I just want to skip to the shooting, but I stick with it. I do yell at the tv watching SoG, but it's more a guilt pleasure and I get to see some nice weapons I'll never own. AG just made me want to shoot my tv.
And how can a Father parade his underage daughter around so scantily-clad? I think they said she is about to turn 18...?

DammitBoy
May 4, 2012, 08:14 AM
Teenage daughters pretty much wear what they want to wear. Whether you know it or not.

Which is fine, I'd be more concerned what kind of person they are on the inside than what they wear on the outside.

PT92
May 4, 2012, 08:32 AM
Teenage daughters pretty much wear what they want to wear. Whether you know it or not.

Which is fine, I'd be more concerned what kind of person they are on the inside than what they wear on the outside.
I know and I won't allow it thank you very much!

larryh1108
May 4, 2012, 09:14 AM
I'd be more concerned what kind of person they are on the inside than what they wear on the outside.

This is very true but many times (not all) what you wear on the outside reflects who you are on the inside. A 16 year old who dresses like a tramp may either be a tramp or just want the attention she gets without actually wishing to fulfill that "fantasy". Unfortunately, we often judge people we first meet by their appearance. If I was conducting a job interview and a 17 year old came in with a professional demeanor versus one who came in wearing a very skimpy outfit, well, I'd hire the more reserved one. Right or wrong, we do learn to conform to society's ways or we decide that making a statement is more important than finding a good job. As we age, we realize that you can't fight city hall. You may win the battle but you will lose the war in most cases.

chas3stix
May 4, 2012, 09:21 AM
American Guns by far the worst of the worst.....unless you want them to build you a punt gun...

CharlieDeltaJuliet
May 4, 2012, 10:03 AM
I agree that American Guns is the worst. I cannot stand Rich or Brian( gunsmith). Rich tries to act like he is a high roller, with " the helicopter on standby". I read some about him, didn't like what I read. Plus I had read about people sending their firearms in to have the actions upgraded, they come back with a "Gunsmoke" logo etched into them.... While I hate Kris on Sons of Guns, and how he thinks he owns Red Jacket since he and Stephanie got married. I do like Flem,Charlie and Joe. I like Top Shot and Top Guns enough to watch regularly. But in my eyes I like TacTv ,Weaponology , and Future Weapons. I pretty much stay glued to Military Channel.

PT92
May 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
I agree with everyone in that American Guns, Sons of Guns and a few others are PURE entertainment shows that are in no way marketing their material towards "us" (namely, highly cognizant gun people)--On the contrary, they are seeking the American Idol, Real Housewife type audience. In their view, if they can get a couple of "real" gun people to boot, all the better.

Any more, I don't even know if we can believe half of it (someone mentioned that Kris and Will's Daughter got married--maybe they did or didn't...? Not sure how much of the material is genuine or fictional/scripted...).

I'll plead guilty though and admit I do DVR the stuff (granted I wind up fast forwarding more often than not).

-Cheers

larryh1108
May 4, 2012, 10:33 AM
If these shows don't capture the "hard core gun market" (us) it does expose more Americans to guns and ownership. It actually helps the gun culture by showing "the other side" of guns which means they aren't all evil and are just here to murder people. If you like them, that's cool, and if you don't like them, it seems millions of non-gun people are tuning in. GGood for 2A and the good gun rights activists. As this new video games age of gun owners mature they will turn the tide against the anti-gun people and swing more votes our way.

Jim, West PA
May 4, 2012, 10:50 AM
I think they are all an insult to those of us that actualy know gunsmithing.
Not to meantion the fact that , like anything else on tv,they care not about all the miss information they are putting out.
Holding a newly chambered barreled action in yer bare hand to test fire it ?!?!?!?! Now there's a real bright way to teach someone that thinks he's a 'gunsmith' how to blow his hand off.
I think that anyone with a lick o' sense would see any of those shows and immediately think that anyone that has anything to do with guns is an idiot and therefore turn them away from guns.
I believe that they all hurt our cause.

Also, can someone please explain to me how a 16 y/o gets away with carrying a firearm. Let a lone carrying one open in public. ?!?!?!?
That sends a great message to the dumbed down kids of our society.

How many of those 'actors' are actualy LEO's ? ATF ?
Don't they shine a bright lite on those organizations :rolleyes:

SOG's theme song is real cool and that's all they got goin for them.

joecil
May 4, 2012, 10:56 AM
I've seen them all including American Choppers however they to me seem all the same in their is too much drama and not enough about the guns and what goes into them. Now there is one show I watch when ever it is on is Triggers on the Military channel. Guy with a military experience but no expert covering a gun that was used in combat who brings on experts on that particular gun. They also cover the guns that lead up to its development as well as guns it lead too in use now. No drama, good information on a given gun/platform and actual shooting with great comparisons between it and other guns of the same era.

scchokedaddy
May 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
Big stretch to call either Sons of Guns or the other so called gun show anything but trashy attempts to cash in the REALITY show craze. I will give credit to the young lady and her mother on the one show for seeming to be not fakes, but that black headed fake on sog is sickening. YUCK But they seem to be following the fad of Entertaining the less informed, i,e, IF YOU CAN'T DAZZLE THEM WITH BRILLIANCE (?) THEN BAFFLE THEM WITH B>S>!!!! I Mean to each his own, but it is really sad when RuPuals dragway provides more entertainment (humor) than those ............. shows I guess for lack of better term. Suggestions for new names for these would be something like....... Prima Donnas of Destruction, Firearm Fantasy Fanaticalsor maybe even Zombie Land Lulis . Oh well guess they gotta fill air time up somehow. Duck Commanderr, Craig Bodington, and the Dallas Safari Club still around any how. Ya'll have a good day now ya hear

Certaindeaf
May 4, 2012, 05:04 PM
The Kardashianikov's.

Kevorkian approved!

MBane666
May 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
So we're finishing up GUN STORIES Season 2 at the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax and Joe M. says he's going to a reception for the GI Film Festival and he'd like for us to go with him. We say, "Cool beans!," and me, Producer Tim Cremin and DP Rob Stookey head out. Pretty soon we're headed into D.C., and pretty soon I ask Joe, "The reception is at the U.S. Capitol?"

Yep.

Note to self...bring better clothes with me on the road!

BTW, finished principal photography on RAPID FIRE...totally spectacular video! Gonna be a cool series....

Michael B

PT92
May 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
So we're finishing up GUN STORIES Season 2 at the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax and Joe M. says he's going to a reception for the GI Film Festival and he'd like for us to go with him. We say, "Cool beans!," and me, Producer Tim Cremin and DP Rob Stookey head out. Pretty soon we're headed into D.C., and pretty soon I ask Joe, "The reception is at the U.S. Capitol?"

Yep.

Note to self...bring better clothes with me on the road!

BTW, finished principal photography on RAPID FIRE...totally spectacular video! Gonna be a cool series....

Michael B
Really appreciate the material that you guys bring to us--great stuff indeed.

I know Mr. Montegna is headed to D.C. for the Memorial Day festivities scheduled for this coming weekend as well.

Happy (early) Memorial Day to our vets, both past and present--their sacrifices do not go unrecognized.

-Cheers

Dr.Rob
May 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
American Guns is the worst.

The staggering amount of disinformation, price gouging, low balling, grandstanding and negative depictions of gun people and then portraying gun smiths as repressed basement trolls is sickening.

Discovery and the Wyatts are doing our cause no favors with that show.

Sons of Guns at least pays lip service to trying to explain how restricted certain items are from NFA to destructive devices, etc.

Top Shot remains a favorite of the network cable shows designed for a mainstream audience. Sure there's a teeny but of drama--it's still a game show rather than a straight shooting competition.

I appreciate that Discovery, History and others are adding gun related shows to their line ups, but I hope the scripted reality of American Guns and Sons of Guns does NOT represent the 'future' of gun friendly TV.

HGUNHNTR
May 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
I'm missing out! Man I haven't watched a gun show for decades.

nosmr2
May 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Sons Of Guns is bad. But American Guns is the WORST. I try to watch it and it's just too painful. The guy is a total tool. The helicopter is so over the top it's ridiculous. Seriously, you are so damn important that you need a helicopter to taxi your ass all over Colorado? Maybe if he drove for a change he wouldn't have to rape his customers. And pimping his wife's and daughter's assets just shows the kind of guy he is. He is not helping our collective cause at all. Please go away.

However,everything on OLN kicks ass.

franx1911a
May 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
Special thanks to Michael Bane and all those at the Outdoor Channel for Wednesdays nights. Nothing else is even close. As far as Sons of Guns is concerned, I own a couple of RJF guns and they are absolutely top notch... but both were done while Vince was there and I know for a fact he personally did one of my Saigas. A great guy, but without him I really have no use for the melodrama the show became. By the way Vince, if you are listening, I have another Saiga I want to do! :)

RalphS
May 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Michael Bane's Shooting Gallery is one of the best. I really liked the show yesterday about the gunfight at the OK Corral.

MarkDido
May 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
+1 on Wild Kingdom! Never missed a show unless I was grounded from TV.

What was that quote Marlin used all the time when Jim got his prey? "It looks like Jim has him now" or something close to that. Classic!

Remember how effortlessly Marlin could segue from the show to a Mutual of Omaha commercial?

"It looks like that lion is getting the best of Jim and is eviscerating him.
Don't let high insurance costs eviscerate you, Mutual of Omaha...."

If you enjoyed reading about "Cable Gun Shows - Which is the worst?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!