.223 primers..lets hear your arguments

PDA

Tex4426
March 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
looking for good primmers to shoot out of my ar 15..this is a precision rifle all match grade..what primers do you suggest i spend my money on and y

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 primers..lets hear your arguments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
March 16, 2012, 01:58 AM
I got a bunch of Wolf SRM's during the great component shortage a while back. So far they have been working fine in my AR with TAC powder. Before that I was using Winchester SRM primers.

I've been told the mil-spec primers (recommended for AR's due to free floating firing pin) are nothing but CCI mag primers but I can't confirm that. I can only say I've never had problems with SRM primers in mine.

armoredman
March 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
I am using Remington 7.5 benchrest primers, seem to work just fine.

LoonWulf
March 16, 2012, 03:03 AM
Ive used cci standard, mags, winchester standards, and federal standard (sorry dont remember the number designators). Cci standards would pop at laods the others showed little or no pressure signs, other then that they all produced similar accuray in one bolt and one semi .223 and a bolt 6x47.

Pat M
March 16, 2012, 03:08 AM
I've always used CCI small rifle primers in my highpower match ammo and never had a reason to change.

taliv
March 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
I always used fed gm match but that's because I bought a ton of them back when primers were like $15/k.

I read years ago where David tubb was claiming the Russian primers were more consistent than any of the us stuff. However I you load with an auto primer feeder you may have them jam up a lot due to cup differences

Canuck-IL
March 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Wolf (or Tula, same:same) gave me slightly lower ES & SD than my normal Rem 7 1/2s. The Wolf 223 and their SRMs performed about the same. Similar to their LP product, the cups are very slightly larger diameter - no problem priming with an RCBS hand tool, never tried them in the progressive.
/Bryan

loose noose
March 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
I prefer the Federal Bench Rest Primers in my Bull barrel AR-15, as I said before I installed a Timney Trigger and it breaks at 3#s exactly. I don't think the standard sr primers would ignite consistently.

M1key
March 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Federal Small Rifle Match primers have been my mainstay for years.

M

moxie
March 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
As usual, that clears that up! They all work well for somebody. Personally, I've been unable to detect any difference in U.S. primers over the years in handguns or rifles, so I buy whatever's cheapest, except not Russian.

SlamFire1
March 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have been shooting HM scores all the way back to 600 yards with CCI #41 primers.

Not only are these primers less likely to slamfire, the cups are thick and less likely to pierce and eat up firing pins.

Federal match are too sensitive. A bud of mine, a HM, discontinued federal match after having two slamfires with them.

Sniper66
March 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
I just returned from the range and shot a dime sized group after getting my Rem 700 VSF .223 zeroed. Shooting reloads with Rem 7.5 BR primers and 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with Hodgdon. The proof is in the pudding as they say and a dime sized group at 100 yds is proof enough to me. I've shot 1,000s of them and never had a bad one.

tundraotto
March 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Rem 7-1/2 are the most popular on the highpower competitions so thats what I bought 5000 of.....I have heard slamfires with the Winchesters and Federals in AR rifles due to the moving firing pin.

arizona98tj
March 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
I avoid Federal primers. After having loaded thousands of rounds in my progressive press, I had a primer go bang while it was being seated. It was the 15th shell that was being primed after I had switched over to a brick of Federal primers...first time that brand was used in the press. I've heard they have a softer cup than other brands....its possible. I do know I'll never run them through my 650 again. There are too many other brands to pick from that I've never had a problem with.

FlyinBryan
March 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
i use the winchester or cci standard small rifle primers.

only once i used something else and i think they were remington benchrest or match or something like that. i didnt see any increase in accuracy with them so i just went back to what i was used to.

i load everything in a progressive press with a primer feeder

redneck2
March 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
I use Federal in my .223 since I have thousands on hand, but it would probably be best to use something harder like CCI's.

Redneck with a 40
March 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
I have a sleeve (5000) of Wolf SRM primers, so far they have been great, used a thousand of'em so far.

browningguy
March 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
CCI Magnum small rifle, just becasue they always work.

M1key
March 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
Only thing resembling slam fires I have ever seen in an AR is when an friend of mine (80+ years old) bought himself a new carbine from CMMG and tried reloading with CCI Small Pistol primers. I believe he was using the Accurate 2230 powder I had given him. Brought it to the range and when he fired, the rifle promptly spit out 3-4 shot bursts with each pull of the trigger. I intervened and took them away from him. Only let him shoot factory from then on...:rolleyes:

M

R.W.Dale
March 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have been shooting HM scores all the way back to 600 yards with CCI #41 primers.

Not only are these primers less likely to slamfire, the cups are thick and less likely to pierce and eat up firing pins.

Federal match are too sensitive. A bud of mine, a HM, discontinued federal match after having two slamfires with them.

I want to second this on the basis that the cci 41's are also very good primers. I use this primer in 223 and all small primed cases exclusivly even in bolt actions

posted via mobile device.

M1key
March 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
Well, just to put a finer point on this, how many of you have ever used Federal Gold Metal Match .223 ammuntion in your ARs without incidental slamfires? (raises hand)

M

Tex4426
March 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
ok maybe the better question is what primers not to use?...any input,,,this is a custom precision RRA that i built and have about 2 grand in so yes i do not want slam fires, i will be shooting mostly 60g + match grade bullets..and looking to use the new hogdons 223 powder, probably around 25g whatever patterns the best....basically should i go with match grade primers or will it not affect accuracy..i have heard from more than a few ppl that the primer does matter

Canuck-IL
March 18, 2012, 01:51 AM
You should go with something that won't pierce and, contrary to at least 2 of the above comments, regular SRs are a thinner jacket and can cause you problems - in addition to slightly greater chances of a slam fire. Eroded bolt faces are annoying.

The magnums and milspec primers will not cause you any problems. HP AR shooters traditionally consumed the Rem 7 1/2s and CCI benchrest the most. Wins had a following until about 3-4 years ago when they changed to the shiny cup and started getting piercing problems. Based on David Tubb's preachings about the Wolf primers and accelerated greatly during the shortages a few years back, a number switched to Wolf and discovered smaller ES and SD values. Those guys (and some gals) are mostly using RL-15, Varget, 4895, 2460 and recently some are into 8208.

The Wolf/Tula SRM or SR223 are same:same in reported performance. No one I'm aware of has yet worked up consistent loads for new "copper cleaner" powder if that's what you're referring to. Few guys are working on it but, it's been winter recently in much of the country and results are sparse.

So, yes, the primer "can" matter ... picking one of the standards that are long proven in HP (usually fairly hot loads shot iron sighted out to 600 yds) will be the best start. Once you've pretty much nailed the powder load, trying a few other primers in a narrow bracket around that load would be sensible.

You're only 270 miles from the ISRA range in Bonfield, IL ... we shoot every Tuesday out to 300, starting May 1 - bring it up and we'll see what it can do.
/B

M1key
March 18, 2012, 02:10 AM
Slam firing or doubling? there is a difference.

M

Tex4426
March 18, 2012, 02:11 AM
one of these days i would like to get into competition but right now just shooting on my grandmas land...got an 800 yard lane with a nice hill behind it for a backstop,,the perfect natural gun range,,im lucky...i know you may ask y spend so much on an AR for hunting yotes and shooting paper...honestly i cant answer cuz i dont really know...just got bored one day and started ordering parts..its pretty much all RRA match grade...with magpul accessories a weaver high power scope...you also my ask y RRA and not someone like noveske...basic answer..i love RRA..im not the only one apparently..60-90 day lead time,,crazy

Tex4426
March 18, 2012, 02:17 AM
M1Key i plan on using those exact bullets,,but will be trying others to compair on which shoots the best out of my particular barrel...right now its just a hobby i picked up...was always into guns but recently got into AR-15s and decided to see how well i could build one myself..im liking it so far..also a very expensive hobby..funny how i drop an expensive hobby only to pick up an even more expensive hobby

Wildbillz
March 18, 2012, 04:16 AM
Not long ago I would have said what ever you can find. My thinking has changed in the last few years. I would prefer to stick with the CCI Mil Spc ones if I have a choise. They may or may not be or do anything differant then the standards but its peace of mind. I have only recently started using them and don't have any data to back up any claims. But they have all gone bang and hit the target so far.

I do have a bunch of Wolf ones that are made for 223rem spcificly. I don't know if they are hype or not but I will use them some day.

WB

gamestalker
March 18, 2012, 05:28 AM
I use CCI about 99% of the time. But when they are not in stock I buy Winchester. I've never used any of the other's out there except for shotshell loading. I've use both standard and BR rifle, and pistol CCI's. And I've yet to experience a single mis-fire in over 3 decades with Win. or CCI.

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 primers..lets hear your arguments" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!