can anyone help?

PDA

johnjon
March 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Hello, I have been browsing these forums for a few weeks now and have learned alot. However, i recently purchased a richland arms "palmetto" 1858,(my first bp revolver btw) i know now that i got a poor quality gun but my problem is the spring on the "hand" broke, i ordered a new one from dixie gun works that was designed for a pietta, ive filed and wet rocked the piece alot and still cant get it quite right, does anyone know if i can purchase one made for the palmetto? or at least get one thats alot closer to actual dimensions? thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "can anyone help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin'Joe
March 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
Go to http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473430 and check out post #17. With this technique the old hand that was worn down can be reused.

johnjon
March 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
thanks for the info, thats quite an inventive method. ill have to give it a try when i get home.

Smokepole14
March 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
I had the same problem with my pietta 58 remmy. I bought the replacement part from Dixie gun works and filed it back as close to the original. At first the cylinder would turn but the hammer wouldn't stay back when cocked. I just kept slowly taking a little bit off at a time and check it. Just keep slowly taking metal away until it works. This was before I heard about the method mentioned above I'd give that a try as well.

johnjon
March 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
"cylinder would turn but the hammer wouldnt stay back" thats where im at with it right now......did you have to file away some of the width as well as the length ?

Smokepole14
March 16, 2012, 10:09 PM
Yes file just a little more until it works. That's all it is your just a hare off from being ready to put some more lead down range.

Skinny 1950
March 18, 2012, 02:28 AM
The cylinder bolt is locking the cylinder so the hammer won't go all the way back because the hand is a bit too long. Take a bit more off the end of the hand and try again this may require several assembly.. disassembly sessions. I had the same problem fitting a new hand in a 1849 Pocket Colt it took a while but now it is a very tight action.

BHP FAN
March 18, 2012, 05:13 AM
Order the Uberti spring, it's a drop in fit for the Richland Arms. in fact the Richland Arms I had, had the ''octagon barrel'' symbol for an Uberti right on the barrel.VTI gunparts stocks them.You can also make the round wire spring for an SAA by Wolff Springs work.

johnjon
March 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
smokin joe, i did make me a new hand using the method you described but ill be using it as a back up, smoke pole was right on with it just needing to be filed away a little more, the funny thing is according to my micrometer i had already made the old and new hand the exact same length, i guess i just had the angle on the point of the new one wrong because i took a very little bit more away from its length and "flattened" the top so it would make a more well defined point and now its working fine, thanks for your help guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "can anyone help?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!