2012 Shortage/Hoarding Mega Thread

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

Pacsd
March 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
Today one of our local sports shoppe that prints fishing/hunting reports in our local paper said they were at a buyers show and were told they expect another round of "shortages" in shooting merchandize this summer. The stuff they will be able to get is going to see a price increase. Think we are in for another run on what is on the shelf? I dunno. What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "2012 Shortage/Hoarding Mega Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hocka Louis
March 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Already here... Place I deal with for ammo at least a year and a half now that has typically processed order, picked, packed and shipped it the same or next day is a week behind filling orders.

Pietro Beretta
March 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
This was brought up at northwestfirearms.com, we have been reporting our local and online inventory for about a month, right now there is no shortage in our area. The local ammo shops, gun stores, wally world, sporting goods stores have stock and keep filling up when there are gaps.

firesky101
March 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
Self fulfilling prophecy. Tell people there will be a shortage, they will panic buy and create one. It is going to happen, oh well I have enough stacked deep this time around to get me through. I learned my lesson last time about letting cheap deals pass me by.

Buck Kramer
March 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
I agree with firesky. If I convince 20 people in the local area there will be a shortage, in a week there will be one.

Pietro Beretta
March 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
All of the following have stock available. I can also still find small/large pistol primers without hassle at the moment.

http://www.sgammo.com/
http://www.ammoforsale.com/
http://ammoman.com/
http://www.sgammo.com/

M2 Carbine
March 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Yes there will be a shortage and high ammo costs.

Why? It doesn't really matter why. Gas and food are also increasing prices at a fast rate.

The fact is if you count on buying reasonably priced ammo whenever you want it, you will be disappointed.

The local Wal Mart just last week increased the price on their 22LR 550 bulk pack by $5.
That's a big jump at one time

TJ AK-74
March 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
OH NO, THERE IS GOING TO BE A SHORTAGE!!!!!!!!!! RUN OUT AND BUY EVERYTHING YOU CAN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!! PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!!! STRIP THE SHELVES BARE SO THAT EVERYONE ELSE WILL SEE EMPTY SHELVES AND THINK THERE IS A SHORTAGE AND PANIC AND BUY ONLINE SO THAT ONLINE SITES ARE BACKORDERED, LEADING TO EVEN MORE PANIC AND HIGHER PRICES!!!!!!!!!! BUY BUY BUY!!! ITS TEOTWAWKI TIME!!!!!

Seriously, I'm kind of sick of the "shortage" talks... Not saying it's not gonna happen, just annoyed that it seems like some people WANT it to happen... Like maybe people that bought in late '08 and '09 at sky-high prices and now need the $$$$ but don't want to take a loss selling at current market prices, so they create a "shortage" and then sell their surplus stock at a lower loss, break-even, or maybe even a profit.

Ignition Override
March 18, 2012, 12:03 AM
Pacsd:

Did you read about the same merchandizing tactic over a year ago?
Distributors last winter told buddies to expect at least a 10-20% ammo price increase by April or May, 2011.

It never happened. The motivation was to create a buyer-induced panic.
This tactic worked quite well after the election in 2008, but not for long.
In spring-summer of 2009, the sheep finally started to think for themselves.

This helps explain why a single Ammo Scalper in Keene, NH offered over 55,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39 on Gunbroker in summer 2009...and all of it was available at the same time. He realized kind of late in "the game", that the panic was over. Suddenly, the scalpers were in a panic.
I estimated so many rounds of his/her 7.62x39 during that five-minute period, scanning items under his GB nickname.

Ala Dan
March 18, 2012, 12:54 AM
Smith & Wesson "back order's" are runn'in 350%* behind last years market~! Ever notice the shortage on 642's, 9 and 40 VE's, Governor's, some E-series semi-
auto's~? After all, 2012 is an election year~! :cuss: :fire: :eek:

*info per an inside source at Smith & Wesson

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 18, 2012, 03:57 AM
Another election year, another shortage...

As mentioned earlier, this really snowballs as soon as the "shortage" word is trotted out and doesn't really stop for months...

beatledog7
March 18, 2012, 07:27 AM
There's certainly no shortage of speculation about shortages.

BSA1
March 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Oh boy. Here we go again.

It's called panic buying until the need actually occurs. Then the namesayers are on the web complaining. On another web site there was horrible name calling for shooters that had brought a lot of primers before the last shortage occurred. The whiners were going as far as to say that shooters should be only allowed to buy 100 primers at a time.

Panic buying, hoarding, prepping, stockpiling or whatever you want to call it is simply capitalism at work. It is the individual's choice on how to spend their disposable income. You have the exact same choices.

I will give you a perfect idea of what some of you would consider a panic buying decision I am making. We are buying a 91 year old farm and there is not a tornado shelter. Goodland, KS and Joplin, MO have be hard hit and large portions of the cities were destroyed. I have been looking at underground shelters and pretty much decided on a 7 -13 person size.

Some of you no doubt are laughing at my decision because;

While tornados are very common where we live the actual probability of get hit by one is low.

The only ones using the shelter is my wife, our dogs and cats (well maybe on the cats), myself and adult daughter who is home infrequently.

The shelter is going to run around $6,000 installed.

The shelter will be rarely used as storm protection.

However I am making my decision on the following:

We stood on the porch of our home during one storm and watched 10 (thats right 10) funnel clouds form and drop down. Most of them did not touch down but it is believed at least one did causing property damage (the storm was front was 10 miles away and passing north of us).

I can save $2,000 by buying a smaller shelter but it will be used less than the bigger one.

On the other hand we can use a larger shelter for storage of food items, canned goods, and survival items. Big Sis recommends that you have enough food and water for at least two weeks in the event of a disaster. Not only can we store food but other survival items and guns. If our house is blown away we can even safely sleep in the shelter so we can stay on site during the clean-up and waiting for Big Sis to arrive.

Will I be able to recoup the cost of the shelter if I was to sell the farm? Probably some. Maybe not. I consider a lot of people every ignorant of the power of tornados.

While I also consider living on farm raising chickens, growing gardens, having a year supply of beef on the hoof in the pasture just everyday living I can see how some would consider it extremism since everything you need is just at the store....just like primers, powder, bullets....right....well maybe.:eek:

22-rimfire
March 18, 2012, 11:00 AM
If you shoot regularly, I would hope that the last "shortage" taught you something if you were unprepared. I buy ammunition monthly whether I need it or not. Then if a shortage occurs, the ammunition in my cache is sufficient to allow me to weather any reasonable time period where ammunition may be more difficult to obtain. Call it dollar cost averaging....

Those nice "shelters" that were on Discovery Channel (the preppers) ran about 50K for the structure and then you have installation and site prep.

Redneck with a 40
March 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm fully stocked up on primers, powder, bullets and brass. I've been building my supply over the last two years. If there is going to be a shortage, it won't affect me. I can kick back and laugh at all the people buying primers for $80/brick.

Once a Republican gets into the whitehouse, it'll be all over. I've got plenty of components to carry me for about two years.

rule303
March 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
The prices so far haven't gone up any more than the usual year to year increases, but the distributors are out of nearly all high demand firearms, and cheap ammo sells out within hours of coming in. I think the manufacturers learned from '08 though, and they will seize the opportunity to make as much as possible. Add that to all the new shooters entering the market with the more broad acceptance of concealed carry, and all the gun shows now on TV, it should be an interesting year.

M2 Carbine
March 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Add that to all the new shooters entering the market with the more broad acceptance of concealed carry, and all the gun shows now on TV, it should be an interesting year.
I could stay busy just teaching new shooters who never before had any interest in buying a gun.

Last month I went to the gun show with two new (female) shooters to help them pick out guns.
After the ladies decided on what they wanted, they were told it would be an hour before they could do the paperwork because the dealer was backed up with gun sales. The dealer had five employees doing the 4473.

The rest of the big dealers looked about as busy. First time ever I saw the big dealers have empty spaces on their tables where groups of guns were sold out.

Lately I've been in Cabelas and Cheaper Than Dirt and couldn't hardly get to the gun counter.
All these new guns need ammo.

ObsidianOne
March 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Went to the local gun shop, they claim they are being cleaned out and everyone is buying up, that I need to buy my powder and primers now.
Bought 1 lb of powder and 1,000 primers, which is what I need at the moment.

Another gunshop in the area, who is known for price gouging ($75 for a box of 100 .45 ACP Winchester White Box, 35 for Remington Thunderbolt .22 bulk pack), likes to buy up all the ammo at Walmart when this happens and resell at high prices.

Went to Walmart, and they were pretty stocked. Picked up a couple bricks of .22 just in case.
I think this is exactly what most think it is, a self fufilling prophecy. Keep making shortage threads and telling people to stock up and you'll find your ammo isn't on the shelf anymore.

Black Duck Charlie
March 20, 2012, 12:02 AM
Once a Republican gets into the whitehouse, it'll be all over.

Actually, Redneck, it'll be more of the same -- with only slight variance and under a different name.

LANDMAN4389
March 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm a little short on .410 and 12 gauge shells but other than that I'm good.

Black Duck Charlie
March 20, 2012, 12:12 AM
I remember 2008, when guns and ammo were going to be outlawed..... The people doing the prophesying got all the gun nuts out buying up everything they could find. Well, here it is 2012, and every type of ammo that was going to be banned back in '08 is still available; it costs a bit more than in 2001, but it's still available. In August '08 the price of .30-30 ammunition was less than $13 a box; in August '09 it was more than $16 a box. Pistol ammunition went from $20 to more than $40. It wasn't until last year that prices started going down, but they still are not where they were in '07. The fear-mongers "prophesied" a major shortage, if not out-right ban, of ammunition -- and because so many fools believed it, the prophecy came true.

Looks like the fear-mongers are at it again, and the fools will believe it, again.

GWARGHOUL
March 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
..Just picked up 1000 rounds of Wold Military classic 7.62x39 for $210....

Going to get a little more, and a few bulk packs of .22lr...

Whats trippin me out is the prices on guns. 6 months ago, I could have gotten a Taurus 85 for well under $300. Now they are (in most places) like $10 away from the Smith and Wesson.

stealth
March 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Actually, Redneck, it'll be more of the same -- with only slight variance and under a different name.
Partly true.
I highly recommend going to Gun Owners Associations website and looking at how they grade each person. http://gunowners.org/2012presidential.htm
You can click each name to see their record.

FROGO207
March 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
I am a gatherer at heart. I always add to my supply of ammo/components as I have the money to spare and try to keep at least two years ahead on supplies. So I will probably be thought of as a hoarder at the least.:banghead: While all I want is to be able to go target shooting whenever the want arises regardless of what is on the store shelves.

Black Duck Charlie
March 21, 2012, 03:44 AM
..Just picked up 1000 rounds of Wold Military classic 7.62x39 for $210....

Really? 21 CENTS for ONE round? I hope you're not complaining about that. The 6.5x50 ammo for my Arisaka costs $1.20 to $2.00 per round (only place I can get it without paying shipping/"dangerous cargo" fees is Cabela's). For my .30-30, it's 70 cents to $1.25

16 gauge shotgun? Forget it.

Black Duck Charlie
March 21, 2012, 03:46 AM
stealth, I do not vote for whoever has the "best record' concerning gun laws -- I vote for whoever WILL do what is Right and Just, instead of just what is expedient/convenient at the time.

22-rimfire
March 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
16 gauge shotgun? Forget it.

I saw some 16ga (#6 Shot) shotgun shells at Walmart of all places in the last week.

joed
March 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'll be curious to see how .223 ammo & components do. So far i haven't noticed anything hard to get.

357 Terms
March 21, 2012, 03:59 PM
It can't be as bad as 08, most of those hoarders still haven't put a dent in what they bought in 08.

I was talking to a guy back then in a gun shop who said he bought 50,000 LP primers!! really?!!

340PD
March 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
For God's sake if you think there will be a shortage buy what you think you need and don't write about it on forums. Speculation on forums caused, and cost, us all a lot of money.

mbopp
March 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
Well, I was in my local reloading shop a few days ago. I asked if they were having problems getting components, the counter guy replied yes, powder and primers.
Just when CCI SV 22 ammo was getting to be reasonably available the LGS and 2 Dicks stores are out.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
Self fulfilling prophecy.

Pretty much. I can see some buying frenzy happen around election time though.

TJ AK-74
March 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Really? 21 CENTS for ONE round? I hope you're not complaining about that.

I don't think he was complaining. I believe he was trying to point out that if there was a shortage, it wouldn't be selling that low. Also, about 6 years ago, it was only about $100/ 1,000 rounds of 7.62X39mm.

ErikO
March 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
I picked up 1k of Tula small rilfe primers for $20 at the gun show on Sunday. I felt it was a decent price and was out of them anyway. :)

The $8.50 M2A1 ammo can was in good shape, too.

Now to get in on some of those Govie brass auctions...

marb4
March 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/22/gun-sales-off-to-bang-for-election-year/

I've noticed that the normally well stocked shelves at my local farm store and Walmart have been starting to look kind of bare recetly. Guess its time to go off my meds and start hoarding again. :banghead:

GunsAreEssential1975
March 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
I noticed the same thing concerning handgun ammo at my local china mart as well. So if you're gonna hoard, might I suggest you start with the yard rakes?

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 22, 2012, 05:23 PM
People aren't stocked enough since the last election? I'm feeling the burn of this whole hoarding. I think I finally found my AK 74 and ammo but it took long enough.

Ryanxia
March 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
It's not just the political climate. Reference the article in General Discussion about Ruger not accepting any more orders until May (ish). There are many, many first time gun buyers and people just buying up guns in general, and those guns take the same ammunition ours do. :D

ObsidianOne
March 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
There's been a ton of threads about this lately. Posting about it more is adding to the hysteria, please don't contribute.

jim243
March 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
please don't contribute

Too late this is how the last one started. Not good, only have enough supplies for the next 5 years. Must get more (LOL).

Jim

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Hopefully I'll at least be able to get a sealed tin of 5.45 x 39 per month.

BullfrogKen
March 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
It's not new news. . .

Expect Ammo and Component Shortages (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=648086)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh175/ShootingCoach/grafs.gif

You can buy what you see today, or come here and bitch about it in two months.

rduchateau2954
March 22, 2012, 09:17 PM
I know what I am doing next payday. I can't believe we are doing this again.

CSA 357
March 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
i think im ok, but what the heck ill buy more anyway!

Midwest
March 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
Problem now is trying to balance that extra box or two of ammo a week with $4.00+ a gallon gas. Maybe gas one week and a few boxes of ammo the next week and food the next week...more ammo the week after that....? Maybe a barter system? Mow someones backyard for a box or two of 45acp?

GunsAreEssential1975
March 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm maxing out all of my credit cards as we speak!

scaatylobo
March 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
I dont "expect" anything to actually happen.

BUT neither did the folk is N.O. prior to Katrina.

Or L.A. prior to the last BIG quake.

Or Japan prior to their 'minor' quake.

Sound judgement requires that you be prepared for anything.

I dont panick,I am too old to do that.

22-rimfire
March 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
I'm maxing out all of my credit cards as we speak!

That's crazy talk. You actually believe you won't be able to buy ammunition in a month or two months? Good luck, I guess.

jim243
March 22, 2012, 09:48 PM
That's crazy talk. You actually believe you won't be able to buy ammunition in a month or two months

It's not crazy talk, it took 8 months last time for primers to find their way back on the shelves and the prices jumped 50% and still have not gone down. It took me 6 month to get any quanity of 22 LR put together, which I am still sitting on.

Jim

Rembrandt
March 22, 2012, 09:53 PM
Last time gas prices got high, thieves began puncturing gas tanks and stealing fuel.....next thing you'll know they'll start robbing wheel weights to make bullets.

DammitBoy
March 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
I just buy a box or two of something, everytime I go to walmart.

heeler
March 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
Uhh...Maybe not as crazy as you think 22-Rimfire.
I bought a lot of Federal Blue Box centerfire hunting ammo in early 2008 because it was still cheap and I came into some money.
By deer hunting season in 08-09 even hunting ammo,although availible,was not as available as it once was.
In fact I sold a friend of mine a box of 6mm Remington ammo in the winter of 09 just so he could take his boy deer/hog hunting.
Supply and demand whether it's logical or not.

oldbear
March 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
when I had to find Alternate storage space for my ammo and brass I realized I was well stocked.

GWARGHOUL
March 22, 2012, 11:32 PM
Really? 21 CENTS for ONE round? I hope you're not complaining about that.

Certainly not complaining!

BullfrogKen
March 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
That's crazy talk. You actually believe you won't be able to buy ammunition in a month or two months? Good luck, I guess.

Crazy talk?

I remember quite well not being able to buy primers, anywhere, at all for weeks. When they did become available, they were $45/1000. And you were happy to get it. Same with popular powder, or bullet components.

I thought it was crazy talk when it was happening. Until I ran low and went out to replenish one day. Then I realized a small little bit of the world had changed.

I vow never to be in that position again.

shiftyer1
March 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
It didn't make me happy calling 8 different walmarts to find 9mm ammo last time. I don't believe i'll have to search this time. I learned my lesson!

They don't really go bad and spoil and it really sux when you have the urge or need to shoot something and can't find ammo for it. So it just makes sense to keep extra. Ammo tends to become scarce everytime the world's comming to an end!

Buy what you can in between the scares and panics and your demand will raise the supply. MAYBE?

ObsidianOne
March 23, 2012, 01:34 AM
Crazy talk?

I remember quite well not being able to buy primers, anywhere, at all for weeks. When they did become available, they were $45/1000. And you were happy to get it. Same with popular powder, or bullet components.

I thought it was crazy talk when it was happening. Until I ran low and went out to replenish one day. Then I realized a small little bit of the world had changed.

I vow never to be in that position again.

And I'm sure you acquired a supply some time ago correct?

Not waiting until the panic sets in when someone yells fire in a crowded theater.
This whole thing is a joke, yeah, I remember 9mm Luger being a myth, and waiting in line at Walmart for the shipment of .22LR to get in stock (can't say I recall the reloading components, as I wasn't into that during that time) and you might not even get a box, but encouraging people to stock up to get ready for the Great Ammo Famine is both counterproductive and irresponsible.

If you don't have a backup supply of ammunition and components then why wait until the last minute when things start going out of stock and punish the rest of us because you can't plan ahead?

Fishslayer
March 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
Last time gas prices got high, thieves began puncturing gas tanks and stealing fuel.....next thing you'll know they'll start robbing wheel weights to make bullets.

They'll be at their furnaces a long time in Kalifornistan. No lead weights here anymore.:evil:

I'm stocking up, but more because the supply of steel free Yugo x39 is drying up and I need it for my Mini-30.

Like somebody else posted, I'm looking more toward natural disaster than any sort of EOW situation.

Living here the idea of bans & whatnot is not as farfetched as in Free States. Our lawmakers have an active agenda to disarm the law abiding citizenry. They tried to ban mail order ammo once & they will try it again.

Pietro Beretta
March 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
The difference between 2008 and now; no one talked and discussed the issue -- it just happened.

Go to your local ammo stores; they have ammo, you can still find primers. Stock still is available and still come in.

Online retailers still have ammo, and they still have stock coming in.

Obama still doesn't have rank and file support for a gun ban; anyone think of the 2012 Mayan calendar affect? I hear, normally smart people, talk about the end of the world, or the change of times based on presumptions by people who spent a couple of months studying the Mayan long count calendar.

There are dates that Mayans reference that take place after the final cycle of the calendar everyone refers to as the "end of the calendar."

Lefts blame the Rights, Rights blame the Lefts -- Obama this, Bush that, Bush this, Obama that -- its the same evil with a different label, the scope of government has grown with all administrations and we like to believe otherwise.

Now I am going off topic; bah humbug

Bah I SAY

Ignition Override
March 23, 2012, 02:12 AM
Quite true!

At the large (1,000 table or so) Atlanta gun show about three weeks ago, I bought my fifth Lee-Enfield #4 rifle, and still see no hang-up with dinged wood and some bluing missing (if it has four or five-groove rifling and a pretty good bore).

It might not shoot quite as accurately as most plastic AR-15s, but does quite well in my untrained hands, and the LE was a Battle Rifle.

That very large show:), which was just three miles n.e. of ATL Airport had heaps of ammo in various calibers.

JohnBiltz
March 23, 2012, 02:59 AM
I don't care about SHTF, don't care about the politics of it all, I just want to be able to shoot every week. I'm keeping a year's supply in the house.

Davek1977
March 23, 2012, 03:08 AM
Speculation on forums caused, and cost, us all a lot of money. Not ALL....some people saw this coming and bought what they felt they needed, be it 20 rounds or 20,000, well before the "shortage" hit. Then, it just took a modest bit of self-control to just not buy ammo that was higher priced than one was comfortable with. No one was forced to buy ammo during the shortage, and no one is being forced to buy today. Its a free market, and good are only worth what one is willing to pay. When i saw Wolf steel-cased .223 for $13.49 a box.....I didn't buy it thinking I'd never see another round of .223 ammo. When .380 ammo was going for $70 a box, I didnt have an overwhelming compulsion to buy it. During the shortage however, i WAS able to buy a case of brass cased Yugo 7.62x39 for $219/1260 and several boxes of 9mm 50 ct boxes of HP's for under $20. When i saw 5.56 ammo for 5.99 a box last fall....I bought all I saw myself needing for awhile....awhile meaning til the political climate changes. Did people learn nothing from the previous ammo shortages? If you can buy it cheap, pile it deep.....but don't wait til the summer before an election to think it may be time to pick up your supply of bulk ammo, or you're likely to grossly overpay for that particular choice.

Orkan
March 23, 2012, 03:17 AM
I just want to be able to shoot every week. I hear that. I shoot about every day. Last time the panic hit, I was out of a lot of things. I too swore it would never happen to me again. I've got plenty of inventory this time, and I'll still keep buying if good deals come my way. Yet I doubt I'll see any of those for at least 2 years. Just like last time.

Things were just starting to get "normal" again, and it was still very hard to find good deals. Now its going to be nuts once again. The profiteers will be making millions for no reason other than they can.

This time I think there will be a lot less insane prices though. Lots of people sitting on huge inventories from the last panic. They can't all afford to double down again.

guyfromohio
March 23, 2012, 03:39 AM
I have a nice par level of ammo and then my shooting stock. I'm not sure my OCD will allow me to shoot any of the par though.

HoosierQ
March 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Tin Foil is flying off the shelves too...just like the last election. Not only will I not be able to shoot when I want, my turkey will be to dry. I hate election year panics. Stupid.

alsaqr
March 23, 2012, 07:51 AM
QUOTE]Tin Foil is flying off the shelves too...just like the last election. Not only will I not be able to shoot when I want, my turkey will be to dry. I hate election year panics. Stupid. [/QUOTE]

Folks put down the counter help at gun stores. When the incompetent minimum wage counter clerk says bullets, primers, powder and ammo are scarce; that makes it so: Go figure :D

HoosierQ
March 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
We are our own worst enemies on this shortage business.

There's 2 kinds of hoarders here too.

There is the tinfoil-hat crowd that think the "Wizard of Ob" is somehow magically going to take away our guns and need as much ammo as possible to make the "cold dead hands" part come as late as possible.

Then there are the vast majority of the rest of us that stock up not for any other reason than they want to be able to shoot targets, tin can, or squirrels whan they want to and want to be sure they have ammo on hand...which all the hoarding makes difficult.

So careless, clueless, and just plain silly talk about this kind of stuff has a double whammy effect.

ol' scratch
March 23, 2012, 07:59 AM
I just picked up 600 rounds of .308, 500 LC pieces of brass and plan on putting in another order for 600 more rounds today. It isn't that I am hoarding, it is just that I finally have the cash to spring for it. Maybe the higher than average gun sales are indicative of those new panic buyers finally getting some cash in their pockets and purchasing a few more toys.

EDIT: I might also add that some of us hoard because we see things we haven't seen in a long time. I have 2000 rounds of SL AP-M2 and 1500 rounds of LC Ball due to the cheap price and that it is hard to find. I got it during the height of the frenzy. Who can pass on $60 a can? I still have a about a 1000 rounds of Greek and enough brass to keep me loading for a long while too. I should also add that I have 6 rifles chambered in 06'. During the height of the craze, it seemed that people were selling "grand dad's" old milsurp rifle to get an evil black rifle. This also coincided with the release of a BUNCH of stuff from the CMP that hadn't been seen in years. Since 2009, I have found some very good deals on milsurps including three 1903 Springfields I bought for $150 a piece to fund someone's desire to add to an ammo cache and to fund a new black rifle.

guyfromohio
March 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
I bought as much $8.99/box Blazer as I could when gas started going up again. Politics didn't even enter my mind. When it costs more to transport goods, we are charged more for those goods. I had $600 saved for my next gun, but chose 3000 rounds instead. Conversely, I shoot 200-500 rounds per week.

Prince Yamato
March 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
I really hate when this happens. Have I stated that yet? I'm now going to be obligated to panic buy because I have to worry that the tin foil hat crowd is going to clear the shelves out of 9mm...

trapper1
March 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with the ammo I have stocked for now. My extra funds currently are going towards filling the 6 gallon gas cans:cool:

zxcvbob
March 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
Anybody remember The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 1973? One of the best ever examples of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Midwest
March 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Anybody remember The Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 1973? One of the best ever examples of a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Good point, and it was all started by Johnny Carson!

http://baypaper.com/toiletpaper.html

"His writers had heard earlier in the day about a Wisconsin congressman named Harold Froehlich. Froelich claimed that the federal government was falling behind in getting bids to supply toilet paper and that "The United States may face a serious shortage of toilet tissue within a few months".

His writers decided to include a joke based on this quote in Carson's monologue. He said "You know what's disappearing from the supermarket shelves? Toilet paper. There's an acute shortage of toilet paper in the United States."

Too bad they couldn't see the consequence of this statement. You may not be aware if you are young, but the early 1970's was a time of shortages - oil in particular. The next morning, many of the 20 million television viewers ran to the supermarket and bought all the toilet paper they could find. By noon, most of the stores were out of stock! Stores tried to ration the stuff, but they couldn't keep up with demand.

Johnny Carson went on the air several nights later and explained that there was no shortage and apologized for scaring the public. Unfortunately, people saw all the empty shelves in the stores, so the stampede continued."

BullfrogKen
March 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
And I'm sure you acquired a supply some time ago correct?

Not waiting until the panic sets in when someone yells fire in a crowded theater.
This whole thing is a joke, yeah, I remember 9mm Luger being a myth, and waiting in line at Walmart for the shipment of .22LR to get in stock (can't say I recall the reloading components, as I wasn't into that during that time) and you might not even get a box, but encouraging people to stock up to get ready for the Great Ammo Famine is both counterproductive and irresponsible.

If you don't have a backup supply of ammunition and components then why wait until the last minute when things start going out of stock and punish the rest of us because you can't plan ahead?

Not sure I follow you here, but I'll respond this way.

Yes, this past Fall I made a large bulk order for the fellas at our club - 35,000 primers and 32 lbs of powder. About 1/3 of that order was my stuff. I'm not going to be in a position where I can't go shoot a match, or take a training class, or have to scale back my weekly practices this summer because I'm running out of components.

And I'll continue to add to my reserves every month or so when I find attractive pricing on a bulk order.

Go to your local ammo stores; they have ammo, you can still find primers. Stock still is available and still come in.

Online retailers still have ammo, and they still have stock coming in.

I just took a brief tour of Graf's, MidwayUSA, and Powder Valley. Many of the popular brands of primers are in low supply, or already out-of-stock. Graf's put the notice out weeks ago that the industry was already stretched thin trying to meet demand, and put everyone on notice that stockouts are expected.

Additionally many of the bullets I use for competition are on back order. Some for months at MidwayUSA. We haven't even begun the competition season yet and items are on backorder.

The days of "just in time inventory" for components for me are over. I'll not be put in that situation again. Call that behavior whatever names you want, but I'm going to keep a healthy stock of components here at the O'Donnell Supply Depot.

LeonCarr
March 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Vote him out in November.

bubbacrabb
March 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
I stocked up a lot over the past 4 years, possibly enough to last me the next 5 years or so. Preppers are not crazy, people that don't prep scare me. I'm not sayin get really crazy into it, but have some sort of plans and means to survive a little while

Sky
March 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
Heard on the radio a couple of hours back that Ruger was not taking orders due to huge back order so I looked it up and what do you know.. Ruger is one company with 1 million orders already for 2012......wow!

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7nW06GxP8isATaBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1NmVzNTE1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDAyNl8xNTA-/SIG=12cj90drf/EXP=1332566324/**http%3a//offgridsurvival.com/rugerstopsacceptinggunorders/

SOUTHPORT, CT –Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE-RGR), announced today that for the first quarter 2012, the Company has received orders for more than one million units. Therefore, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.

Old krow
March 23, 2012, 06:30 PM
Think we are in for another run on what is on the shelf? I dunno. What do you guys think?

It's doubtful that we'll endure a shortage at all. Why would we? The number of concealed carry permits aren't on the rise. The number of gun sales aren't on the rise. We haven't been pushing back unconstitutional gun laws. The size of the shooting base hasn't been growing. There's been absolutely NO demand placed on the already mildly paranoid gun owners in the country due to the last elections.

Calm down folks! Buy your ammo in Nov, it'll still be there. :D

fxstchewy
March 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have plenty, i will not run out and by ANY firearm related items.

Ky Larry
March 23, 2012, 09:30 PM
There is plenty of brass, bullets, powder, and loaded ammo on local shelves. Primers are dissappearing. I checked all my local sources last week and all were short on primers. There are no small pistol primers to be had locally. Same as last time, it looks like primers will be our Achilles heel.

Lt.Dan
March 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thankfully I don't buy ammo, I make it haha. And I work part time at a gun store so they are available to me.

22-rimfire
March 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
During this time in 2008, I was concerned about price increases. I started buying factory ammo on a regular basis and my personal supply was more than adequate by the time (November 2008) when the rush to buy ammo hit.

If you believe that there will be a shortage as a result of any reason and it is important to you, I would start buying now on a regular basis, looking for best prices for the ammo or supplies you want.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
I bought 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 back in 03 for $80---with no rifle to shoot it--last week I traded for a Mini-30 in effect giving me 1000 rounds of ammo instantly---just need a few more factory mags.

Was in Wallyworld last night and they even had 2 guys behind the ammo counter selling---------Fishing Licenses------------the ammo was well stocked except for .223----but then again, they never have .223 in stock---just an empty hole in the cabinet.

I used my spare $20 to buy a new pair of cargo pants as my old ones have stains and are wearing thin------and I already have plenty of ammo and components at home.

I'll just stick with shooting .22's for a while till the dust settles and keep my heavy stuff in reserve just in case the collaspe really happens---.22's are cheap and fun to shoot anyway.

Guess all this rambling means I don't care about the Great Ammo Shortage of '12.

mrvco
March 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
Something tells me the manufacturers aren't going to leave that money on the table again. Unfortunately the marketing folks aren't going to be able to resist hearkening back to 2008 just to "make sure" that there isn't an over-supply situation.

mbopp
March 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
My local reloading supplier is also a regional distributor. He said CCI hasn't shipped them any 22 ammo since the first of the year. All they had left for SP primers were Remington, nothing else.
Missouri Bullet is running 2+ weeks behind and stopped accepting new retail customers. Yes, it's started.

BullfrogKen
March 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yep, all the sings point to a drought this summer.

WinThePennant
March 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
Believe it or not, but my LGS said he was starting to have a little trouble getting Glocks. They are still available, but the delivery time has increased substantially.

EvilGenius
March 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
I went to snag a value pack of .45acp from Wally world last week and the guy infront of me at the sporting goods counter bought all of their 9mm. 3-4k rds minimum.

Kinda felt like I was missing out on some fun. Guess he was just crazy?

blarby
March 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
I think its just sad that the possible " drought" and "hoarding" are giving justification for price gouging....this early especially.

Even here in the trade threads, on THR...gouging is going on, with this as the basis.

Comeon people........ we're in the same community for gosh sakes...this isn't a hurricane and plywood situation...be reasonable.

stealth
March 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
I went to snag a value pack of .45acp from Wally world last week and the guy infront of me at the sporting goods counter bought all of their 9mm. 3-4k rds minimum.

Kinda felt like I was missing out on some fun. Guess he was just crazy?
Ugh. Stocking up for yourself is one thing, buying up wally world to later sell it for inordinate prices is quite another. Come on feller, leave some for the rest of us.. ..please? I always do.

Ya think tax refund people put it into ammo? hmm.

A couple observations, I only looked at the two, but in both .22 and 9mm prices of fed bulk 550 and fed 100rnd has doubled since 08! Thats only 4 years. Not sure what Gold is at but its gotta be an even better rate than that - sorry, I just made things even worse by saying that, huh.

I should just shut up and join a stone forum, since thats all I'll be able to use for hunting. (What size rock for bear?)

beatledog7
March 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Shortage of common sense?

I have enough factory, hand-rolled, and components to shoot at my normal pace for about the next 4 years. Unless something causes me to shoot more, I'm good.

wildchild2010
March 25, 2012, 03:03 AM
We are seeing a bit of hyper inflation in this country as the US dollars is not as strong or worth as much as it was 10 years ago.
Cost of doing business across the board has gone up and so will the prices. Commodity's have gone thru the roof in the last 5 years to.

wildchild2010
March 25, 2012, 03:08 AM
Oh boy. Here we go again.

It's called panic buying until the need actually occurs. Then the namesayers are on the web complaining. On another web site there was horrible name calling for shooters that had brought a lot of primers before the last shortage occurred. The whiners were going as far as to say that shooters should be only allowed to buy 100 primers at a time.

Panic buying, hoarding, prepping, stockpiling or whatever you want to call it is simply capitalism at work. It is the individual's choice on how to spend their disposable income. You have the exact same choices.

Alot of the panic buying last election were people who never own a firearms before. That is why the shortage of .22, .390, 9mm ammo.

wildchild2010
March 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
I'm fully stocked up on primers, powder, bullets and brass. I've been building my supply over the last two years. If there is going to be a shortage, it won't affect me. I can kick back and laugh at all the people buying primers for $80/brick.

Once a Republican gets into the whitehouse, it'll be all over. I've got plenty of components to carry me for about two years.
I hope you aren't talking about Mitt? Mr.anti gun.

wildchild2010
March 25, 2012, 03:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/22/gun-sales-off-to-bang-for-election-year/

I've noticed that the normally well stocked shelves at my local farm store and Walmart have been starting to look kind of bare recetly. Guess its time to go off my meds and start hoarding again. :banghead:
Look at the FBI background checks the last 3 years sales have gone up and not down.
More people are buying firearms and ammo more now than in the last 30 years.

P5 Guy
March 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm far from a Sage of Searching, so if one wants, please feel free.
Didn't this primer famine have its roots way back in the time of Benson/Clinton? :what:
Didn't the "War on Terror" get blamed for no 7.62x39, 9mm, 5.56x45 on the shelves? :what:
And finally the results of the 2008 election had 380ACP so scarce gold wasn't even close in value? :what:
And somewhere in there was the commodity market took the hit for steep price increases.
I'm seeing a pattern/trend here, how about you?

wildchild2010
March 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm far from a Sage of Searching, so if one wants, please feel free.
Didn't this primer famine have its roots way back in the time of Benson/Clinton? :what:
Didn't the "War on Terror" get blamed for no 7.62x39, 9mm, 5.56x45 on the shelves? :what:
And finally the results of the 2008 election had 380ACP so scarce gold wasn't even close in value? :what:
And somewhere in there was the commodity market took the hit for steep price increases.
I'm seeing a pattern/trend here, how about you?
Just to give folks and idea of why the higher prices. I have some bullets, I bought 3 years ago that I paid $18.00 for 50 and now the same ones are $35.00 for the same 50 almost triple the price in the last 3 years.

Commodity prices, copper, brass, oil, gas, lead (with a lot of EPA regulation) have been running at all time highs. Fuel, transportation, insurance, mfg. ALL the costs have risen sharply which cost more for products.

Why are some gun mfg dumping lines for certain firearms? The cost of making the just isn't worth the cost. The 444 Marlin was chopped fron the 2012 catalog. YEP a gun that has been a favorite gun since the 60's.

Copper, daily 5 year spot price and warehouse supply
http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical_large.html

The US dollar isn't worth not what it use to be 5, 10 years ago.
http://www.kitco.com/

Gun and Ammo Market charts
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/mattis1.html

Redneck with a 40
March 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
I just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse, they were having a "shooting" sale. I bought 5 boxes of UMC 308 Win at $13 each and 3 lbs of H-4895. That is the only powder I'm short on, so I went ahead and bought some, before they get cleaned out.

The .308 ammo comes out to 65 cents/round, great deal for factory ammo. Plus, I want the Remington brass to reload.

blarby
March 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
Just got back from wally world on a trip with the wife.

They had just about everything in stock.

Little low on 22LR bulk packs, and they were out of the UMC 45 bulk packs ( but they always are)

Looks like they are having a special on winchester X slugs and 00 buck, they had tons- and it was cheap.

gfanikf
March 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
The worst part is once others start doing it, you have to take some countermeasures, even if you just like to shoot every weekend and aren't planning to fight Richard Lynch's Army of Russian back troops or Dan Haydea's forces.

I'm am selling my .45 (which I loved, but it was an entry RIA so it's not like I'm a WWII era Colt) and got the Colt 1911-22 (Along with the New Ruger Single Six I already own). 45 is fun, but I'm not even going to attempt to keep up with ammo prices in .45 when stupid buying and pricing goes into full effect. I grab a more few bricks of 22 and I'll be good for a long time (2100 rounds at Cabelas for ~75 with free shipping).

The only other caliber I have is 223/556 for my Ruger Mini-14. That's the one I'm going to have to start doing strategic buying with. My wife and I had our first child back in Jan and while I really love shooting, family comes first. I'd rather not have to worry in August about needing to get new ammo, but I'm not going just drop $200-300 for 1000 rounds (well maybe after tax refunds), so I need to figure out how to do this in piecemeal (and actually build a surplus and not shoot everything first.

blarby
March 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
missingBi-mart today, the shopping never ends !

They had SHELVES of UMC bulk in every caliber offered.

The good stuff behind the counter looked fairly well stocked across the board, and not the chump boxes.

They had a PALLET of 22LR in federal, and ALL of the CCI 22lr variations were in stock.

They had ALL PRIMERS in stock, perhaps a shelf full behinds the counter as well... particularly counted SPP- they had 4k and an open 1k pack with 700 still in it.

They also had ALL POWDERS, 4-5# of each

Their bullet selection was good as well- all the usual stuff was there.

Only thing that seemed missing was slugs and buck... they said they usually don't reorder after season.

W.E.G.
March 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
Look at the FBI background checks the last 3 years sales have gone up and not down.
More people are buying firearms and ammo more now than in the last 30 years.

I wonder how much of that is really just geezers "pushing the pieces around" in their collections now that Gunbroker has turned everybody's kitchen table and telephone into an opportunity to buy/sell.

I've sold as many guns in the last year as I bought in the same time frame, and quite a few if I bother to count.
That will pump up some NICS numbers for sure.

drsfmd
March 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
It's not just guns, ammo, and supplies, it's spaces in the clubs too... in my area, there are perhaps 2 dozen gun clubs. All have "caps" on the total number of members they will have at any given time. For many years, all of these clubs operated below those caps, but within the last year, every one of those clubs has reached their cap and closed the doors. It's led to a lot of police reports due to illicit target shooting on (other people's) private property and small patches of woods wholly unsuitable for target shooting (houses too close, etc).

Fishslayer
March 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Only thing that seemed missing was slugs and buck... they said they usually don't reorder after season.

Local Turner's has a sale next month. 150 rounds of low recoil "tactical" (:rolleyes:) 12GA 00 Buck in a plastic ammo can for $99.

It's tactical, so it probably won't last long...

BullfrogKen
March 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
I wonder how much of that is really just geezers "pushing the pieces around" in their collections now that Gunbroker has turned everybody's kitchen table and telephone into an opportunity to buy/sell.

Not much. I was buying stuff off Gunbroker a decade ago, and GunsAmerica as far back as 15 years ago. That's nothing new.

No, a whole lot of these sales are new guns, and brand-spanking-new gun owners. NSSF does market analysis studies and reports, and they gathered data directly from the manufacturers. And I've been seeing scores of new gun owners join my local club for the past four years.

RiverCity.45
March 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Yup. Create the hysteria with a little fearmongering and the manufacturers rake in the bounty at our expense.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Old krow
March 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Just got back from wally world on a trip with the wife.

They had just about everything in stock.

That was not the case at my local wally world. The had 3 boxes of 9mm WWB 100 ct and 2 50ct. They were completely out of any and all .223 and .308.

The lady at the counter told me that they do not order ammo, it's done automatically. If that's the case, I seriously doubt that our wally world will have much to offer as the election gets closer.

blarby
March 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
@ krow- get their order received date.

Be there at 9am.

:)

Counter lady won't give it up ? Ask the stockers.

EvilGenius
March 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
Went by Wally world again yesterday to grab another .45 value pack and they were almost completely out of handgun ammo.

Dunno if it's part of the "rush" or I just swung by at the wrong part of the week.

Old krow
March 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
@ krow- get their order received date.

Be there at 9am.

I'd rather not go there at all, but, that being said, there's little guarantee that someone will actually be at the counter. Around here, it's our "ammo lottery."

Your wally world has stockers?!?! :what:

blarby
March 26, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yes they do. :)

They are about 2' 7", they fold them up and keep 'em under the counters with the new hires until needed.

nosmr2
March 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
A walmart near my house today was almost out of ammo when I stopped by this afternoon. No .223 at all a few boxes of expensive 45 and maybe 6 boxes of expensive 9mm. There was more on the shelves, but they usually have a ton of those calibers.

Can't wait for the hysteria to really hit.

W.E.G.
March 26, 2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G.
Not much. I was buying stuff off Gunbroker a decade ago, and GunsAmerica as far back as 15 years ago. That's nothing new.

No, a whole lot of these sales are new guns, and brand-spanking-new gun owners. NSSF does market analysis studies and reports, and they gathered data directly from the manufacturers. And I've been seeing scores of new gun owners join my local club for the past four years.

Well, that's a relief.

So it wasn't my fault after all.

Can somebody please notify my wife?

talldragon
March 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
I still have ammo left over from before the '08 panic - '09 shortage. I have several boxes of .45 ACP still marked @ $9.99. Maybe 10 Bricks of .22lr marked @$8.99 :o.

Yeah, kinda old; but all brand names. No Milsurp ammo.
I haven't even counted all the .38spl I have in ammo cans :eek:.

I should be shooting well past any shortage that may come up without purchasing anything but cleaning supplies :neener: ;).
That given I only get out to shoot maybe every 6 weeks or so :banghead:.

Gotta work on that, though the fuel prices are not helping any.....:fire:.
I'll find something to give up so I can keep my shooting skills up.

Obsidian
March 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
Well, lets see...

I suppose one advantage of being in Iraq in 09 is I did not get acutely affected by the shortage. On my internet adventures when I had the rare chance I was able to buy all the reloading supplies I wanted, except for the actual powder and primers. I came home and in 2010 I could get what I needed for my start in to reloading.

However I did and still follow metal markets, and there is lots of great things to talk about here, but the bottom line is two very distinct things to look at.

The first is its not just the ammunition industry that uses copper, lead, zinc, brass, bronze, steel and whatever other metals that are used. In fact I would say that the ammunition industry does not even account for much of any of the use of those metals, even in a down market. Metal is durable and you can sell it with ease to anyone you want, unlike perishable goods.
It takes a decent amount of lag time to produce ammunition. Even excluding primer compounds and powder compounds it takes a long time to go from recycled metal or mined metal to produce a round of ammunition. Couple in the volatile nature of these items, its tough to try to purchase and sit on these items, even if the trends are generally up.
If you buy one hundred thousand dollars of copper and the market drops even ten percent that is a significant loss that you bought out on. And with ammunition that makes the loss all the more significant.

The second aspect is coupled with that first item.
Ammunition as a end product is not considered perishable or quick to slip in to obsolescence. What this means is it is not an item that has a shelf life of days, weeks months or even a hand full of years. Even on this single thread multiple people have mentioned that they have stuff from several years or even decades ago. What this means is its not like a bag of lettuce you buy at the store. Its not going to typically bite you later or "go to waste" It will still be there functioning decades later. This makes it really easy to buy and buy and buy because you can see it there five years later. It is satisfying in its own way.

As others have pointed out there are a lot more shooters in the ranks now. Or firearm owners.

And yes some of this is self fulfilling in the community we are all apart of.

And lessons from 08/09 were learned hard. How many people are part of the Great Depression generation or have family members that were? Even in times of plenty people that suffered in that time still made sure they were prepared or would not go though a shortage again. Its a similar thing here.

I've gone from shooting frequently hundreds of rounds a month to thousands to shooting zero due to a move and new job. But I'm still watching and purchasing where I can because I will be going back in to it again.

mgregg85
March 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
I remember not being able to buy .380 ammo for what seemed like years after the last election.

Dr.Rob
March 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
I was worried I wouldn't get my last order from Palmetto State Armory but they got it sorted. Prvi 55 gr M193 is good stuff and I usually buy it from an online retailer in 200rd packs when they have it (if the price is 63-66 bucks)

I haven't seen 'shortages' around Denver, just high prices.

Bass Pro Shops Remington 55 gr 223/5.56 fmj = $9.99/box of 20. They had it stacked in mass quantity. They had a ton of bulk pack 45 grain varmint rounds, so if I had a 1 in 12 twist Mini or older AR that wouldn't be a big deal.

Gander Mountain ahd a bunch of the bulk pack 45 gr varmint rounds. And Federal M193 in ammo cans BUT at over $200 for 400 rounds.

Dick's usually has Wolf (which I don't use). I haven't seen .223/5.56 in any quanity at any Walmart in a while.

My big issue was not doing my reloading over the winter break like I promised myself I'd do.

GWARGHOUL
March 28, 2012, 02:27 AM
I just buy a box or two of something, everytime I go to walmart.

With the lone exception of my recently acquired case of Wolf military classic 7.62x39, this too is my general approach to "just in case".

I admit I need a little more .30-06, .40 and .22lr around. Just in case AND to shoot.

The local indoor range does not allow anyone to shoot Tula ammo, so I figure I can spend $20 on 4 boxes when I'm out spending $100+ for what seemed like 5 items at Wally world. Its going to sit in the bottom of my gun cabinet and not deppreciate, end up in the trash, or go down the toilet etc.

I'm a little more hesitant to drop $30+ on .40 (They sometimes have WWB 100 round value pack for like $32), or $35 on WAY less of .30-06 (that I have yet to shoot..lol)..

I'm not contributing to a panic of a frenzy, just spending a few bucks here and there on both the comforts of "just in case" AND "I enjoy shooting this, and it makes spending $100 seem a bit more of a perceived value as opposed to toilet paper and such".

One of these days I intend to spend a few hundred or so and start some simple reloading for .40 and .30-06. Not to stockpile or anything, but for the two previously fore-mentioned reasons.

As for the shortage and prices stuff.. I'll say what I said earlier. I find it very odd that 6 months ago, if that, I could buy a Taurus 85 stainless for $300 or less, now they are priced $10 cheaper than a S&W air-weight at like $360ish.

Sky
March 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-immigration-agents-are-loading-up-on-as-many-as-450-million-new-rounds-of-ammo-2012-3

might be a shortage of .40 cal

U.S. agents will receive a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years, according to a press release on the deal.

firesky101
March 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
For the moment it seems the other way around about the .40. There have been at least 2 threads in the last week on here about the cheap .40 HST's. Seems the contracts are producing overruns.

Edit: Found them, I just knew someone would say something if I did not link.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=651800

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=652048

Sky
March 30, 2012, 07:01 AM
Well that is good to know I got rid of all my 40s a while back; figures!

DammitBoy
April 1, 2012, 02:30 PM
Here in Baton Rouge - went to a gunshow yesterday, cabela's and bass pro shop. No shortage of any type of ammo and prices were not jacked up.

The gunshow suppliers were undercutting bass pro and cabelas by 2-3 dollars a box.

example: $17 for a box of Hornady .45 auto +p 230 gr xtp instead of $21 at the big box stores

TJ AK-74
April 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
No shortage here in SC... Gun show today had several tables full of primers priced @ $25-30 per 1K (at least 3 of the tables each had 100K+ primers). TONS of ammo. One table had 2 pallets of $210-$230/case Russian .223, that each had about 35K left on them. Also saw rows or AR's. Not too many AK's and only a few SKS's. Several tables actually had reasonable prices on new and used handguns and a decent selection as well. The show ran yesterday and today. I didn't make it until this morning, and there was still all that left after what was most likely a busy Saturday sales day. (I've gone before on Saturday and waited in line for 15-30mins just to get in)

EvilGenius
April 1, 2012, 06:51 PM
Went to bass pro a couple of times over the last few days to get some reloading supplies.

They had plenty of everything and the prices were about on par.

Lt.Dan
April 4, 2012, 12:47 PM
Old Krow,

Hahaha as soon as I read your last post I thought "sounds like the local one here" then I seen your location and IT IS HERE haha. I am in Gulfport and the one on 49 is terrible. But if you pick up the phone on the desk and just start hitting number they come help you real quick haha.

Old krow
April 4, 2012, 06:52 PM
Old Krow,

Hahaha as soon as I read your last post I thought "sounds like the local one here" then I seen your location and IT IS HERE haha. I am in Gulfport

I know. I just brought you a couple k primers :)

exavid
April 4, 2012, 07:36 PM
No worry for me, I've got lots of brass, primers, powder and lead along with molds for most of the calibers I shoot.

Sky
April 4, 2012, 09:00 PM
Already saw a sign that said, " Do to price increase of ammo do not expect a warning shot"!

Tonymac
April 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
Clint Eastward used that line in several of his movies and it really holds true.
Complain all you want but there will be a gun/ammo shortage and it will
be alot worse then last time !!!
Its has started already. My local Bass Pro shops pistol counter is half emty.
No Beratta's for a couple of months. 9mm is put on the shelf and gone the same day.
One thing going on is the once a week shooters, like myself, who used to buy
just what they needed. A couple of hundred rounds. Now they have started buying alot more to stock up.
So many new gun owners now then just a few years ago.
Apprehension of obama being reelected and going after our guns.
By the way, Romney will win !!!
And then you have the preppers. Prepping for all kinds of end of the world events.
Wait until we get closer to Dec 21st, things are going to get crazy !!!
And, not only at the gun counter. People are going to start hoarder everyday things, food etc.
If anything strange happens a few months before Dec 21st, this will multiple things 10 fold !!!!
I do believe nothing really will happen on Dec 21st but try and tell that to the millions of preppers in this world.
And then we have the internet !!!
Posts like mine will be in the millions, for everyone to panic about!!!
Yep, Whether we like it or not things are gonna happen.
"Thats just the way it is"

Nico Testosteros
April 21, 2012, 09:38 AM
Bought some .380 at Wally World last week for my new LCP. No less ammo in stock than usual.

Balrog
April 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
There will soon be a run on ammo. Its an election year, and while people fear Obama may sign anti gun legislation, they also know Romney is just as bad on the subject. When you add in worries about impending economic collapse, Trayvon Martin riots, and the general popularity of shows like "Doomsday Preppers", you can count on the fact that there will soon be a run on guns and ammo.

SFCRandall
April 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just returned from large gunshow in Portland and saw plenty of ammo, priced slightly higher than what you can find on the internet, and no sign of anyone buying large quantities. Not even that many people were stopping to look.

Rail Driver
April 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
It seems like a lot of people posting here WANT to see an ammo shortage and/or mass buying of guns and ammo. :what:

I don't think that "fearmongering" and pushing people to hurry up and buy it while it's still there is a very productive way to do much of anything, even if it is marginally effective in the short term.

I do think that it's a good idea to stock up on ammunition, but there's no reason to go into a buying frenzy - there's plenty to go around, even if my local Walmarts tend to not stock ammo as reliably as they do in other places, but then I live near Tallahassee, which houses one of the largest universities in the nation, and another very large university. It's my observation that in places with even just one large university, the balance of anti-gun folks vs. pro-gun folks is weighted towards the antis. This ends up making things a little more difficult for us pro-gunners to get locally.

KTXdm9
April 21, 2012, 01:54 PM
It seems like there's a similar thread to this on many forums. I'm not saying it's without merit, but at some point it become a self fulfilling prophesy. Personally, I've been able to find whatever I need. Sometimes I just have to shop around a little more.

Ky Larry
April 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
The only shortage I've seen so far is small pistol primers. Maybe things won't be as bad as last time but I've got 12,000 primers stored, just in case.

Hacker15E
April 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Who is Clint Eastward?

RBid
April 21, 2012, 11:05 PM
Echoing earlier sentiments from fellow Oregonians... No signs of an impactful shortage, here.

TJ AK-74
April 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Who is Clint Eastward?

Typo. He meant Clint Eastwood.

gfanikf
April 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
It seems to be hard to get Federal M193....but I was able to get cheap PPU M193...so I'm happy.

larryh1108
April 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
Something to consider is the real horders are probably filled up by now. They were the ones who went to Wally's every morning and bought whatever they could carry. They are the ones who double stacked their already huge supply the last few years as the stock increased and prices came down a bit. Also, there are those who learned from the last time to buy a box or two or a brick here and there "just in case". When this next "shortage" occurs I doubt it will last as long or go as deep as the last one. People learned that in time the supplies return and this time around the sreious horders won't be buying as much and the "smart" buyers will be happily sitting on their stash. Yes, there will be a shortage but not as bad as last time. Too many players are sitting this one out.

DeepSouth
April 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a shortage could be a good thing?
When it makes the news that there is a gun and/or ammo shortage then it raises awareness to just how large and powerful the shooting community is. Politicans don't generally want to upset a large and therefore politically powerful group.

As a matter of fact they want to suck up to them, which in this case would be us!!! I don't know about you but I don't mind spending a little more and looking a little harder for what I want if it'll help the cause.

I say bring on the shortage. Put it on the news, report high sales, talk about it none stop till it eventually dies out and things return to normal. In the mean time I'll do my part and stock up even more and maybe the antis will find it good time to shut up and sit out on a few votes.

Excuse typos. Posted via iPhone

blarby
April 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
Am I the only one who thinks a shortage could be a good thing?

More than likely.

I do agree with your direction of thought though....sad thing is, the only ones who really know and are paying attention ARE the shooters. This information usually isn't in possession of those who don't allready shoot.

I'm not sure that ammo shortages are at levels they are front line news-worthy yet...at least I havent seen any.

I would welcome the day, however, when I go to grab the NYT and the headline is:

"SHOOTING COMMUNITY SO LARGE, AMMO COMPANIES CAN'T MEET DEMAND" That will however, be a really hard week to buy ammo........

larryh1108
April 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
I don't recall the last ammo shortage making the front pages or the 10:00 news. It was big on the gun forums and publications but it seemed to lay low in the mainstream media. Also, you don't hear how all the gun makers can't meet demand right now. That is news to people like us but you surely don't see it on MSNBC or FOX, CNN or any of the big boys.

J_L_A
April 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
I went to Walmart last week and the cupboards getting a little bare there. Some other guy was there waiting on the the guy to open the display case to get ammo. He took forever to get there.

Anyway, me and the other guy waiting on ammo struck up a coversation about ammo and the guns they have there. Long story short, I said that I was probably going to get a box of 9mm and maybe a box of .45. They had 6 boxes of 9mm on the shelf.

Finally the store clerk comes and opens the case and asks the guy what he needs. He said " I'll take your last six boxes of 9mm".

:banghead: :cuss: @*#+*&@!

SabbathWolf
April 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
I stock up on ammo because it makes me feel good and I like it.
Fear-mongering and Doomsday stuff don't really play a big part.

The thing I enjoy the most is when the Fed Ex truck pulls up in my yard with a couple cases of brand new shiny ammo, and me and the Fed EX guy go shoot a few off before he leaves for his next delivery.
Livin' in the country is great!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/b53ddb2d.gif

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
In the past month, I have bought:

7k bullets
20 lbs of powder
12k primers
7k rimfire rounds.

So, am I preparing for the hoard or just another one of the hoarders?:D

larryh1108
April 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Finally the store clerk comes and opens the case and asks the guy what he needs. He said " I'll take your last six boxes of 9mm".

That guy was a total jerk! I hope he's reading this forum or a guy who would have done the exact same thing. Jerks like that give us (gun owners) a bad name. I hope that guys 9mm gets locked up and he has to pay $$$ to get it fixed. What a tool.

Walkalong
April 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
Complain all you want but there will be a gun/ammo shortage and it will
be alot worse then last time !!!
I seriously doubt it in 2012 Will some things be in short supply? Yes, but unless o is elected again, I cannot see it getting as bad as it did in 2009. If he is, Katie bar the door, and all bets are off in 2013.

http://www.learnenglish.de/mistakes/alotvsalllot.htm

denton
April 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
If Romney is elected, I think you'll like the 2A situation much better than some of you expect.

First, the 2A situation is being sorted out very much in our favor by the judiciary. We have a decade or two of litigation ahead of us, but Heller and McDonald are now settled law and SCOTUS will not reconsider them. SCOTUS policy is that once a decision is made, it only gets revisited and overturned under the most compelling circumstances.

Second, Romney is focused on the economy and shrinking government. If an issue does not fit that focus, he's not very interested in it. Nor should he be, as long as the judiciary is doing the heavy hauling. All he has to do is stay out of the way, and he will.

Third, Paul Clement seems to be at the top of Romney's SCOTUS appointment list. You could hardly find a more capable and pro-2A jurist. The judges Romney appoints will be the most important and lasting of his 2A legacy.

Neutral is VASTLY better than corrupt and anti-2A.

And we now have a local shortage of pistol primers. Like some others, if I have an extra few bucks toward the end of the month, I pick up some powder, primers, bullets or 22LR so the thought of a shortage doesn't trouble me personally. Plus I'm glad to help friends who need to come over and do some reloading if the stores are out.

DeepSouth
April 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
I don't recall the last ammo shortage making the front pages or the 10:00 news. It was big on the gun forums and publications but it seemed to lay low in the mainstream media. Also, you don't hear how all the gun makers can't meet demand right now. That is news to people like us but you surely don't see it on MSNBC or FOX, CNN or any of the big boys.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/19/gun-sales-skyrocket-during-recession/

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16073797

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/19/obama-is-named-gun-salesman-of-the-year/

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/06/whats-going-on-with-gun-sales/

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/04/12/woman-driving-guns-sales-up/

Erik M
April 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
Just visited my local mom&pop store, lady claimed that things are already worse than they were in the buildup to november '08. said that lipseys and davidsons have nothing in their warehouses to special order. All of the shelves in the store are suspiciously bare. I think that it might be (sarcasm) fear mongering. prices on available inventory haven't spiked all that much though. Im glad my ammo cans are full.

larryh1108
April 22, 2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...ing-recession/

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16073797

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...n-of-the-year/

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/06/wh...ith-gun-sales/

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...guns-sales-up/

News stories, yes. Front page news? 10:00 news headlines?

DeepSouth
April 23, 2012, 01:25 AM
News stories, yes. Front page news? 10:00 news headlines?

Yep, that's right, just look through the first few pages.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q=gun+sales

Either way it's out there and people read it.

But more to the point, when the NRA or who ever goes into a congressman's office and gives him all the record breaking numbers from gun and ammo sales He realizes there is a powerful group that is out there and they don't like the possibility of more gun control. Which might sway his vote or cause him to sit it out.

I say bring it on. It'll be for our benefit in the long run.

Forgive typos. Posted via iPhone.

TJ AK-74
April 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/23/american-guns-star-richard-wyatt-says-gun-control-talk-spurs-gun-sales/?intcmp=features

This is currently on the Foxnews front page...

Tonymac
April 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
As we approach Dec 21st, guns and ammunition sales will go thru the roof !!!
Forget all the other reasons for a shortage and just look at the Dec 21st situation.
Things are heating up all over the world. There are preppers everywhere on the planet. And, they are increasing in number everyday.
The internet and TV are fueling the panic !!!
Whether something terrible happens or not, the world will be in a full panic mode as we approach the date.
It will make Y2K look like a hiccup.
Everyday we are being bombarded with fear !!!
This panic will go well beyond guns and ammunition. Everyday things like food and water will be stockpiled.
Affect everyday business and the stock market? I think so.
And if anything happens out of the ordinary, ex. a severe change in the weather (which is happening) panic will really get out of hand.
Personally I don't have much respect for the Mayans, they used to eat their young.(or something like that) But, its not that they are predicting something will happen but they are saying something really bad happens every 5000 years and we have been keeping records for thousands of years. And after keeping records for thousands of years we know something bad happens every 5000 (or so) years.
We do not know what that "really bad thing" is, most of their records were destroyed.
Maybe a certain asteroid passes earth every 5000 years and reeks havoc or the earth is lined up with the center of our galaxy every 5000 years and bad things happen. Oh oh thats what really will occur !!!!!
Its not their knowledge of things but their record keeping.
All I know is we all need to be prepared because there will be shortages in everyday leading up to Dec 21st.

EvilGenius
April 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
Bravo!

browningguy
April 24, 2012, 05:10 PM
Actually the Mayans don't say anything about something bad happening. THey simply say it will be the start of a new age according to thier calendar.

And I haven't seen any examples of shortages. I order a few boxes of Black Hills 52 gr. Match Black Hills the other day. Midway put it in a box and shipped it just like they had plenty.

SabbathWolf
April 24, 2012, 06:14 PM
Actually the Mayans don't say anything about something bad happening. THey simply say it will be the start of a new age according to thier calendar.

And I haven't seen any examples of shortages. I order a few boxes of Black Hills 52 gr. Match Black Hills the other day. Midway put it in a box and shipped it just like they had plenty.

Yep.
That's what I got out of it all too.
A time for "Great Change" or a "New Beginning" or something like that.
Not the end of the World.....lol

larryh1108
April 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
If the Mayans were so good at predicting the future, why didn't they predict their own demise?

DeepSouth
April 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
If the Mayans were so good at predicting the future, why didn't they predict their own demise?

Maybe they did!?!?:scrutiny:

SharpsDressedMan
April 24, 2012, 07:58 PM
I got mine. Do you have yours?

DammitBoy
April 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
yup

SabbathWolf
April 24, 2012, 10:58 PM

They were too busy making calendars with fluffy kittens on them?
:D

larryh1108
April 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
We've had many instances of the end of the world predictions over the years. Think back 12 years (wow, 12 already) when Y2K was going to spell doom for us all. Experts claimed that the computers that we used would shut down the banks, make airplanes fall out of the sky, shut down the internet, disrupt cell pnone service and cause all of our savings and investments to disappear because they were built on 00 (2000) being 1900 and not 2000. So, when 2000 arrived the computers would revert back to 1900 and all of our valuable information would be lost and our economy would crash. Total chaos would reign. Well, 2000 came and went and nothing happened inspite of all the "experts" who paraded on tv and newspapers for years who said otherwise.
Point?
If the magnetic poles do switch in December and the earth disintegrates in a ball of flame then what difference does it make if we have 500 rounds or 500,000 rounds in our bunkers?

denton
April 25, 2012, 12:20 AM
Some of us still remember the Y1K bug.

SabbathWolf
April 25, 2012, 01:43 AM
we've had many instances of the end of the world predictions over the years. Think back 12 years (wow, 12 already) when y2k was going to spell doom for us all. Experts claimed that the computers that we used would shut down the banks, make airplanes fall out of the sky, shut down the internet, disrupt cell pnone service and cause all of our savings and investments to disappear because they were built on 00 (2000) being 1900 and not 2000. So, when 2000 arrived the computers would revert back to 1900 and all of our valuable information would be lost and our economy would crash. Total chaos would reign. Well, 2000 came and went and nothing happened inspite of all the "experts" who paraded on tv and newspapers for years who said otherwise.
Point?
If the magnetic poles do switch in december and the earth disintegrates in a ball of flame then what difference does it make if we have 500 rounds or 500,000 rounds in our bunkers?

499,500?

Ignition Override
April 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
larryh1108:

If one of those so-called "experts" claimed that in 2001 airplanes would fall out of the sky, he not only knew nothing about modern airplanes (FMC navigation databases don't have input to engines or flight controls), he probably knew nothing basic about anything else.

pockets
April 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, they predicted the end of their calender.
Sort of like when the 12th Victoria's Secret model appears on your wall in December....you know then that the end of the calender is nigh.
So stock up on Victoria's Secrets items....it all ends after December! ;)

On the other hand, Harold Camping absolutely positively said the world would end on May 21, 1988 .........
then he changed it to September 6, 1994 ,
then changed it again to May 21, 2011......
and yet, here we are, still alive and waiting for the next end of the world to come.

What is it about the human race that we simply must have a 'catastrophic impending doom' to keep us fulfilled? I suppose everyone needs a hobby.

As for ammo and guns and hoarding (oh my)? Happy hoarding.....I'll make some extra cash selling stuff.

SabbathWolf
April 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
Harold Camping.....lol
The biggest horses *ss of the modern era as far Doomsday stuff goes.
He's the only guy I can think of who has been wrong so many times and people still listen to him anyways.
Well....him and the weather man...

Husker_Fan
April 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
Mayan Prophecy Revealed!!!

Husker_Fan
April 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
It is a bit frustrating though. I've never gotten into the AR game and was about ready to jump in. Now the prices will go up again. That's ok. Next year there will be a glut on the used market.

coloradokevin
April 27, 2012, 02:18 AM
I sure am getting sick of the mindless hoarding cycle that seems to be happening with gun-related supplies. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to buy some more .308 175 gr SMK bullets the other day, after shooting through 200 of my last 300 of these bullets. The SMK is obviously a very common and popular bullet, and I found that the store was stripped clean of many bullets, including the ones I needed. Their primer selection was getting thin again, too.

According to their employees, the rush has been on for ammo and components yet again. They also claimed it would be as bad as 2008, though I doubt anyone knows for sure. One of the guys I know in there previously told me that a couple of customers routinely come in and clean them out of fairly popular bullets and ammo (one guy bought something like 30-50 boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, and then went around to their other regional stores to buy the rest of their stock in that ammo).

Unfortunately that type of hysteria leads to more hysteria, since even the non-hoarding types like myself end up having to buy more components when we find them (though I really just want to make sure I can get through the summer shooting season, not the end of the world). So, where I might otherwise buy 100 bullets at a time, I find myself buying maybe 300 at a time. Others do the same, I'm sure.

So far I've only checked that one Sportsman's Warehouse store. The situation may prove to be unique to them, since their inventory control has never seemed to be the greatest. Hopefully I'll find what I need at other local stores, and hopefully the fools among us won't strip the shelves bare for another year, yet again.

pockets
April 27, 2012, 07:09 AM
What is interesting is that any of this comes as a surprise.
We have these presidential elections every 4 years.....it isn't a big secret. After the last election and the resultant 'panic', everyone should know folks would self-induce more of the same now. We can be our own worst enemy at times.

SabbathWolf
April 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure where some of the anger come from here.

I mean, I've bought ammo by the single box before.
But I've also bought ammo by the case as well.

Whenever I buy a brand new gun for example...
I'll buy (1) box of several different brands of ammo in that specific caliber.
I test that ammo for proper function and also to see how well it groups for me.
I start to eliminate the lesser performing ammo until I'm down to a favorite.

That favorite load might turn out to be the most expensive one of the bunch.
Other times, it has been one of the less expensive rounds.
Rarely, it's been the cheapest..but it "has" happened once or twice.

Either way, once I find that favorite...then I buy the heck out of and stock up at least 1000 rounds or more of it in a couple ammo cans so that I always have some.
I may still plink with other brands that are cheaper or not as good, but I always try to keep my favorite resupplied and stockpiled.

If I happen to buy up all of something at the time, all I can say is "Sorry."
But this is America, and that's how the free market works.

coloradokevin
April 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
SabbathWolf,

What you described isn't at all unreasonable. I have thousands of rounds of ammo on hand, and thousands of primers on hand. I shoot regularly, and I resupply regularly. And, some of my routines aren't all that different from yours. I know many shooters like this, and many of these shooters have been doing this for many years.

The hoarding issue we've seen lately is an entirely different animal. I've routinely seen people clean out the shelves "just in case". Some of the people during the 2008 panic were buying up ammo for guns that they didn't even own, and didn't even have plans to own. One guy I spoke with had 500,000 primers on hand at his house, after having bought every primer he could find from every local store (I'm sure he'll go through those quickly).

Sure, the free market works like that. But, I don't think many of us are out of line for being a bit miffed at the fact that an artificial panic has made it hard to buy the stuff we normally buy and use.

SabbathWolf
April 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
SabbathWolf,

What you described isn't at all unreasonable. I have thousands of rounds of ammo on hand, and thousands of primers on hand. I shoot regularly, and I resupply regularly. And, some of my routines aren't all that different from yours. I know many shooters like this, and many of these shooters have been doing this for many years.

The hoarding issue we've seen lately is an entirely different animal. I've routinely seen people clean out the shelves "just in case". Some of the people during the 2008 panic were buying up ammo for guns that they didn't even own, and didn't even have plans to own. One guy I spoke with had 500,000 primers on hand at his house, after having bought every primer he could find from every local store (I'm sure he'll go through those quickly).

Sure, the free market works like that. But, I don't think many of us are out of line for being a bit miffed at the fact that an artificial panic has made it hard to buy the stuff we normally buy and use.

Wow.....

When you describe it like that, then yes, I can see your complaint.
I don't go out and buy a bunch of ammo in a caliber I don't even shoot!
That's pretty crazy.
lol....
I knew there were some nut balls out there, but I've never experienced anything like the level you are talking about around here.
I stand corrected!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/smilies/b53ddb2d.gif

Old krow
April 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
Some of us still remember the Y1K bug.

Really? That's OLD! Was the black plague as bad as they say?

SabbathWolf
April 27, 2012, 09:52 PM
Really? That's OLD! Was the black plague as bad as they say?

Heck no.
Is was so fun they even made the Ring Around the Rosy song about it.
Good times.....

Tonymac
April 28, 2012, 09:39 AM
Here in Las Vegas 9mm is getting hard to find.
The Bass Pro shop, in the last few months, has only gotten in small supplies and those are bought up the same day.
Same thing with 40 !
Went to a couple of Walmarts, one was completely out and the other had only 9 boxes of Winchester 100/box..
I used to buy a couple of boxes at a time, just enough to use.
Now I'll buy 5 - 10 boxes at a time.
And thats exactly what everyone else is doing !!!
As the shortage rumor gets around its going to get worse.
Whether we like it or not a sever shortage is coming.
Because of the internet, any rumor is instantly broadcasted to the world.
Everyone becomes aware of it.
twenty years ago, rumors had no where to go !!!

WinThePennant
April 28, 2012, 09:53 AM
My local Wal-Mart is wiped out of all common ammo. Shotgun shells are all they have.

:eek:

gym
April 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
Cheaper than dirt has a great deal on PMC in 556 and 223, I just picked some up, the email went out yesterday, I was surprised that they had any left. Wallmart didn't even have any in the warehouse, they checked for me. The ammo counter was very scarce, for the first time in a long time. You may want to check Dirt out as two days ago they had almost nothing in stock.

mdemetz
April 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
So far I've only checked that one Sportsman's Warehouse store. The situation may prove to be unique to them, since their inventory control has never seemed to be the greatest. Hopefully I'll find what I need at other local stores, and hopefully the fools among us won't strip the shelves bare for another year, yet again.
Nope, try and find the bulk Hornady .224 55gr FMJBT in stock anywhere online.

cvo
April 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Chinamart will offically mark the panic, when they limit the amount customers can buy.

Certaindeaf
April 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
^
I remember the gas rationing in the 70's. That's why I have two license plates. joke

SabbathWolf
April 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
^
I remember the gas rationing in the 70's. That's why I have two license plates. joke

Me too!
But they are on two separate vehicles too.
I must be doing it wrong!

Ryanxia
April 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wow why don't we let these threads die?

Rail Driver
April 30, 2012, 04:53 PM
Wow why don't we let these threads die?
Because if we let a thread die just because one or two people can't contain themselves to the point that they post in a thread they're not interested in implying that nobody else should be interested in it either, then we would never talk about anything. I've come across VERY few threads ANYWHERE that don't have at least one person coming in to muck it up with complaints about the topic, or other off-topic crud like your comment.

Personally I have a feeling we'll see gas rationing again. That will result in MUCH higher prices for everything including ammo.

SabbathWolf
April 30, 2012, 05:26 PM
...Personally I have a feeling we'll see gas rationing again. That will result in MUCH higher prices for everything including ammo...

Same here actually, and I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Our economy is much more fragile now than it was back in the 70's. And the 70's was truly bad enough already.
When things finally come to a head with all this over-spending and massive debt, we are in for one heck of a crash and burn not like anything we've ever seen before. It will be UGLY!

I predict closer to the Great Depression vs the 70's.

taliv
April 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
guys, let's get this back on topic. (or let it die)

thump_rrr
April 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
All seems normal here in the Great White North.
Just south of the border in NY the local Gander Mountain has fully stocked shelves.
palettes of ammo cans full of .223 etc.

DeadFlies
May 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
Went to the local Farm n Fleet yesterday hoping to get some .30-30, .22lr and 9mm ammo.

Nope.

NO .30-30 or 9mm on the shelves and Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs (They still had Winchester bulk packs but I've never tried them and I wasn't about to switch brands since I still have a few boxes of RGBs left) were all sold out. Other pistol calibers were available and some rifle ammo was available too. Not sure why .30-30 was sold out...strange. Couldn't find any .45 auto either.

Most of the shelf space was devoted to shotgun ammo due to the Spring Turkey Season and the local sporting clays and trap season kicking off. But I think the relative scarcity of 9mm and .45 (there were a few boxes of .380 and .40sw left) is a sign of things to come.

I had to leave the store completely empty-handed. Disappointing, to say the least.

Certaindeaf
May 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
I remember last Christmas in Norway, they had a butter shortage. I think it was contrived via taxation or who even knows? They are still alive.
Ammoe and components are still in good supply around here at reasonable prices.

B!ngo
May 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
Perhaps someone here can enlighten me regarding the marketing activities of on-line firearms dealers. And I ask this in the context of this thread:
So I've been occasionally in search of a firearm or two in the past year, so I spend some time checking out the top 10 on-line dealers. Both to compare prices and to do research about what is available for further study. When I get to these sites, the majority of advertised firearms are 'out of stock'. Followed by, 'we don't know when more are coming so don't even ask' (note the paraphrasing single quotes), or 'leave your email and we'll contact when more arrive'.
So, is this sparse availability a function of recent alleged hoarding? Or is just the practice that these vendors simply list the entire catalog of the manufacturers and never expect to actually stock or sell them?
From outward appearance, it seems like most of these folks are 'wiped clean'.
B

dubya450
May 1, 2012, 08:39 PM
I already grab as much ammo as I can whenever I have extra money so I guess I horde all year long lol. Like yesterday I found a decent amount of 5.7x28 for my Five-seveN and snatched up 20 boxes then today I woke up and decided i better get more so I went back and got 8 more!

dubya450
May 1, 2012, 08:42 PM
@deadflies, thats odd because here in MN at fleet farm they have a TON of pretty much any caliber ammo you could need and at good price's too. The only things they don't carry are most of the really uncommon or unpopular calibers. They're usually always stocked up good n cheap.

22-rimfire
May 1, 2012, 10:02 PM
Now I'll buy 5 - 10 boxes at a time.

That is basically the problem and exactly what people did during the last Presidential election time frame. That compounded the problem. I still have ammo from that time period. Not going to get caught up in any "shortage" in 2012 unless I need some ammo.

I still buy when I have the funds and find decent prices. Today, I purchased 10 boxes of Federal Lightning 22LR for $1.47/box at Walmart. Picked up some Winchester too (not bulk) to have some variety. They had a little 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 LC, 38spl and 357 mag and I was "tempted" with the 40 S&W since it was not "target ammo".

Fishslayer
May 1, 2012, 11:51 PM
The brass Yugo milsurp 7.62x39 is kinda officially gone. One seller on Gundeals.com has some but it's almost as pricey as WWB.:uhoh:

I bought a crate more or less just for my Mini-30. The SKS will get fed steel case. ;)

It went from $200-ish a crate to $300-ish to "gone' in about a month.

coloradokevin
May 2, 2012, 02:05 PM
I stopped by the local Sportsman's Warehouse again yesterday. They had plenty of .22lr ammo, and were fairly well stocked on loaded ammo in general. Still pretty much sold out of .30 caliber bullets, and really pretty thin on primers again.

The biggest thing I remember from 2008 was the primer shortage... and those are a pain, since the hazmat fees make it expensive to buy online!

Fishslayer
May 2, 2012, 11:52 PM
The biggest thing I remember from 2008 was the primer shortage... and those are a pain, since the hazmat fees make it expensive to buy online!

I remember the Great Primer Drought.

Now I have a goodly stash of SPP .45ACP brass so I'm pretty much GTG if it happens again. During the last drought guys were running SRP instead of SPP & it supposedly works OK.

Was in the local WallyWorld today & they seemed to have a decent supply. Nothing like the bare shelves of '09.

BullfrogKen
May 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
The Great Primer Drought was terrible. I had a good supply before the shortages hit and kept using them, completely clueless as to how bad the situation was. Had I known I would have rationed myself a bit.

As my supply got low one day I decided to go restock. I was stunned at the bare shelves, and the price had more than doubled for what was in stock. I still had 1k bricks with $13.99 price stickers on them. I was happy to find bricks selling for $35.00 per 1k.

Regards to using small rifle in place of small pistol. Yes they will work. IPSC guys used small rifle primers in 38 Supers back in the 80's when making Major. I still use small rifle in my hot 38 Supers.

The only problem you might have is the cup is harder, so a weak hammer spring might not set them off. Or you could have gas leakage around the back of the primer. A rifle primer is harder to withstand the higher pressure, but it still expands to fill the primer cavity when fired and seals off the gasses. Pistol primers do the same thing, just at lower pressures.

FYI - Large pistol and large rifle primers are NOT interchangeable. They have different external dimensions.

denton
May 3, 2012, 10:48 AM
The world has just so much ammunition production capacity. Almost all of it is dedicated to producing military ammunition. The sporting market gets what's left over when military demand is met. A small increase in military demand consumes the available sporting ammunition and components capacity. It is the nature of the market to give us periodic spot shortages. I'm surprised the recent DHS mega-buy hasn't caused more disruption than we have seen.

Rail Driver
May 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
The world has just so much ammunition production capacity. Almost all of it is dedicated to producing military ammunition. The sporting market gets what's left over when military demand is met. A small increase in military demand consumes the available sporting ammunition and components capacity. It is the nature of the market to give us periodic spot shortages. I'm surprised the recent DHS mega-buy hasn't caused more disruption than we have seen.
For what it's worth, while it's a large order, it's not intended to be filled all at once - I'm pretty sure the order is to be filled over a certain number of years.

1-UP
May 5, 2012, 10:39 AM
Every time I've stopped by the local big-box shops and sporting goods stores lately they've had ammo on the shelves. 9/10 they've had ammo in the caliber I was looking for. The dicey part has either been they have a price I don't really want to pay OR the brands they have left are not brands I care to use.

/shrug

anchorman
May 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
What's the deal here? Websites selling out of most of the formerly cheap stuff... Are people actually paranoid that the president is going to commit political suicide and enact some new draconian gun restrictions? Or is it just normal spring/early summer uptick in demand?

Warp
May 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
What's the deal here? Websites selling out of most of the formerly cheap stuff... Are people actually paranoid that the president is going to commit political suicide and enact some new draconian gun restrictions? Or is it just normal spring/early summer uptick in demand?

Well, as some people keep repeating these days...what political suicide? Once elected to a second term as president, what future political life does one have to worry about?

The coming election is most certainly a factor. A big factor.

There will be shortages. They have already begun. Probably not as bad as four years ago though.

Kingcreek
May 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
I don't consider myself a hoarder but I have bought quantities, more reloading components than factory ammo. I've bought when it was a bargain and I've never seen anything priced lower at later dates. Maybe I have somewhat of a bunker mentality but mostly I just want to be well supplied and not feel limited regardless of current market costs. So when I bought 5k brass and bullets and 8 pound bottles of powder they were less than half what they cost now, is that hoarding? I'm running out of $10/pound powder and primers marked $11/k. I have cases of shot shells from when I shot a lot of clays that I paid 30-35 for and sell for 60 now. All I have to do is live long enought to shoot what I have stockpiled and it won't be hoarding.

CoRoMo
May 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
I stock up on long lasting food stores and useful goods for the same reason that I stock up on ammo and reloading components; it's undeniably a good idea. When shortages come, I'll be better off having prepared.
Probably not as bad as four years ago though.
IMO, if the president is reelected, this coming January 2013 should experience a firearms and ammunition shortage that will make January 2009 look like an obscene and plentiful surplus. People panicked then and they will panic exceedingly more this time around. Everyone should have simply practiced stocking up in moderation rather than in an urgent rush.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Why panic more this time? This time he has established a many years long track record of not doing anything.

And don't forget that most things require the legislature, and they do need to worry about re-election

HGUNHNTR
May 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ever stocked up on toilet paper when it was cheap? I've done the same with ammo. I can see the writing on the wall just like 2008. I'm buying a lot of ammo now because I think there will be a "Joe Shooter" induced shortage. Not because of any real world legislation or policy, but because of a perceived shortage. It's a good idea to evaluate past human behavior (rational or not) and act accordingly.

Boomm
May 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Well it would definitely be political suicide for himself as well as the democratic party in the next election.

CoRoMo
May 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Why panic more this time?
I don't know. People just do and will. I offer no explanation for their actions.

wkumatt
May 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
It don't eat anythinghing and it ain't getting cheaper.

I'm buying as much as I can afford.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

firesky101
May 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=649691&highlight=shortage%2Fhoarding+mega+thread

These threads rarely go anywhere new/productive. It is a self fulfilling prophecy and we are our own worst enemies, unless of course you sell anything firearms related and have the habit of turning a profit.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well it would definitely be political suicide for himself as well as the democratic party in the next election.

What political suicide? What other election would a second term US president ever possibly have to worry about?

CoRoMo
May 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
...we are our own worst enemies...
I don't know; these panic buying sprees do a lot to strengthen the industries that our little hobby depends on. Gun makers, ammo makers, accessory makers, gun clubs & ranges, local shops; they all get a boon out of it. They'll profit highly now, hopefully, and they'll all be around for us regulars after it's all settled down. Most of them donate to the guys who lobby our cause too.

More panic buying = more profit for the product makers = more capital power for the lobby = more secured future? :D Maybe so!

Let everyone else panic. They can buy up all the guns and ammo at whatever prices may be. Just don't get caught up in it yourself. Do your part and prepare for storms to come. We all might be better off for it.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Of course, the catch is that you ought to already be prepared for the storm, and be able to weather at least a solid year of said storm.

When B. Hussein O. was first elected and people went nuts buying stuff I actually went something like a year and a half without hardly buying a single firearm related item.

Glock Novice
May 14, 2012, 08:19 PM
I'm generally a pretty calm person, but if the man who said this:

"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self- defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

... is elected, I actually will panic.

Hacker15E
May 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
Once elected to a second term as president, what future political life does one have to worry about?

Fortunately, this is a ridiculous argument.

Just because someone doesn't have to run for re-election does not mean that they're not still accountable to the citizenry. This is why we have options like impeachment -- the President is certainly not The King.

More importantly, because the President is not The King, any significant firearms legislation will have to go through Congress....and despite a 2nd-term President Obama's ineligibility for re-election, all of the members of the House and Senate who would have to pass such legislation are not so ineligible. They absolutely would be held accountable for such legislation and absolutely would be concerned about their potential for re-election.

Let's not forget that the last railroaded piece of legislation, the Health Care bill, had trouble getting ramrodded through even with a Democrat supermajority.

That supermajority no longer exists, and it's unlikely that that will change this November. In addition, that Health Care bill is finding it's way through the Judicial Branch of government currently....further proof, again, that one man's vision isn't so simply implemented in US politics, especially if it is a divisive issue like firearms law and policy. There are three separate branches of the Federal Government for a reason, and in general that structure works to prevent complete idiocy from occurring in America.

It will be very difficult for the Obama Administration to pass sweeping firearms legislation in a 2nd term, despite some folks' fears.

22-rimfire
May 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Just because someone doesn't have to run for re-election does not mean that they're not still accountable to the citizenry. This is why we have options like impeachment -- the President is certainly not The King.

More importantly, because the President is not The King, any significant firearms legislation will have to go through Congress....and despite a 2nd-term President Obama's ineligibility for re-election, all of the members of the House and Senate who would have to pass such legislation are not so ineligible. They absolutely would be held accountable for such legislation and absolutely would be concerned about their potential for re-election.

I think you actually believe this. Why do you think all these Czars exist? The term is somewhat interesting and its historical ramifications.

As far as impeachment goes... forget about it. It takes too long and eventually the politicians will see it as not being fruitful and the new laws or regulations continue on long after a particular President or Congress.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hacker15E, I won't nit-pick because I agree with you overall. The legislature does stand to lose a lot.

I was pretty confident going into 2008 that all of the doom and gloom about bans and restrictions would never come to fruition. I am less confident this time around, but still see it as not likely.

rajb123
May 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
I say buy a bunch of ammo now since the prices will be much higher later.

22-rimfire
May 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
I received an order today via Big Brown. Didn't particularly need any of it (this year), but I think prices will continue the move upward steadily. I buy when I have the funds and inclination as I think others should do.

DammitBoy
May 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
Let's not ignore the danger that if re-elected, Obama can appoint a new Supreme Court justice or two...

Hacker15E
May 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
I think you actually believe this. Why do you think all these Czars exist? The term is somewhat interesting and its historical ramifications.

The "Czar" term in US politics is slang.

The people in those positions cannot create legislation - they are policy directors.

Despite the ominous implied parallels to the Russian monarchs, they are simply not even related in terms of what they're empowered to do.

Laws are still handled by the Executive, the Legislative, and the Judicial.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
The SCOTUS justice nomination is what worries me most.

Ky Larry
May 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Small pistol primers are gone in my area. Last I saw at a local gunshop were $40.00 a brick. Other components are available but are high. I've got 11,000 various primers and just ordered another 3,000 bullets today. I have 13,000 .22lr's in my anti-Obamanation stash. I don't know whats going to happen but I feel better prepared than last election. I load for everything I shoot except rimfires so I have no idea what ammo prices are doing.

Ignition Override
May 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
If primers are missing in a given area (many will be seen at gun shows at scalper price$), contact a friend or relative elsewhere to buy some.

This happened in Memphis after the last election.
My brother up in Evansville bought about two hundred for me, in order to be able to learn reloading basics.

Some Bass Pro staff here claimed that they isolated a number of larger boxes of primers behind the shelves, but they could not be found for weeks on end. Maybe they stored some of them for a few friends?

On another note, doesn't heat and humidity in July-August reduce outside shooting and ammo demand?
Not much fun in the sun (or covered) with sweat running into one's eyes and shooting glasses.

mattmann
May 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
Man stuff is hard to find already. Guns to be exact. Every time I go to a gun store or on line everything is sold out.........when will y'all have more...... we have NO idea. This is always the answer I get.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

WinThePennant
May 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
Even the online ammo sellers are getting THIN on inventory. It's getting bad now, and we are aways off from the next election. When it looks like BO will pretty much win, then we can count on the cost of everything firearms related doubling or tripling in cost, perhaps.

CZguy
May 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just ride the storm out. It'll be over in a year or so.

anchorman
May 15, 2012, 03:03 AM
When it looks like BO will pretty much win, then we can count on the cost of everything firearms related doubling or tripling in cost, perhaps.
only if people continue to hoard like mad... granted I have many more guns than one man could possibly need, but all of them save one or two cost $300 or less. probably time to buy a reloading press and a bunch of primers. I wonder how black powder shoots out of 7.62x39 reloads?

personally I don't understand why people are so paranoid. the guy who openly stated he is for control of dangerous "assault rifles" is one choice. the guy who is probably going to win has never made any serious overtures at gun control, not even to placate the rabid wing of his party. people project a lot onto him from all sides, but one thing I can tell you from watching him with open eyes and an open mind is that he's not is a martyr. and neither is the guy from Massachusetts who wanted to ban all "assault rifles."

so stop hoarding already so I can get some ammo now and again over the next year!

DammitBoy
May 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
the guy who is probably going to win has never made any serious overtures at gun control, not even to placate the rabid wing of his party.

I kinda consider the "Fast and Furious" debacle to be a serious overture. I'm wondering what he has in mind when he can be more "flexible" after the election...

Glock Novice
May 15, 2012, 11:30 AM
Willard Mitt Romney has a proven track record to show he feels about firearms: he even created the Massachusetts AWB. The man claims to have been a hunter "practically all my life", but has never purchased a hunting license. If you want to vote purely on 2nd amendment lines, neither the Republican candidate presumptive nor the president are close to ideal. Now, if you want to write in Ted Nugent, I'd be panicking for entirely different reasons... :eek:

David E
May 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm curious what you folks think the proper purchase priority is for you right now: ammo, hicap mags or guns.

Ammo: most here remember the Obama inspired ammo shortage of 2008. Finding .223, .308, 9mm, etc, were very hard to find for about a year around here. .380 was impossible. Often, when found, it cost more than now, and/or you were limited to 6 boxes or less. If you found and bought a lot, you were called a "hoarder."

During that same time frame, hicap magazines were difficult to find and prices were also jacked up. Even 25 rd mags for a 10-22 were affected. I had to pay a higher price to get some that arrived months after the order was placed. Previously, prices were lower, items received in less than a week.

EBR's were in the same boat, with orders taking a year to fill on some things.

All 3 areas were reacting to the Obama presidency...which may rear its head again. He didn't sign or push for anything detrimental to gunowners, but many fear a second term would be much different, with Executive Orders being signed almost immediately.

Ammo probably won't be outlawed, but mags and EBR's might be, or be severely restricted quickly.

The answers will depend on what you currently own, but I'm still curious.

Buy an AR, 5 mags then 500 rds, then back to more mags? Or 5000 rds, then more AR's? Or more hicap mags for all your guns before ammo?

So, what to buy? How much or how many?

youngda9
May 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
Need to stock up on more lead to cast my own. Raw material prices are only going to rise. Buy cheap primers whenever I find them.

Not being subject to the ebb and flow of the market due to political seasons does have it's advantages. Self sufficiency comes into play here. I have powder, primers, and lead on hand to last a while. :)

Agsalaska
May 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
Nothing really. Other than maybe a little ammo.

Arkansas Paul
May 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Lead and other components.

hso
May 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Fear drove the banic and manufacturers and retailers profited. When nothing happened banicky folks then regretted making those purchases (sometimes multiple purchases) and tried to sell for what they had in their guns after the prices had dropped. Now you can easily purchase AK type semis for $500 and AR semis for $700. Mags are back in the reasonable range as well.

The same banic may happen again, but I think it unlikely. Too many gun owners are sitting with guns in the closet and egg on their face that they can't get rid of.

Agsalaska
May 15, 2012, 01:30 PM
HSO that is my concern too. While we may see some nominal drops in overall prices, the overall increase in gun prices is here to stay. I do not believe we will see any drop in the tacticooool stuff at all.

WinThePennant
May 15, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm curious what you folks think the proper purchase priority is for you right now: ammo, hicap mags or guns.

Ammo: most here remember the Obama inspired ammo shortage of 2008. Finding .223, .308, 9mm, etc, were very hard to find for about a year around here. .380 was impossible. Often, when found, it cost more than now, and/or you were limited to 6 boxes or less. If you found and bought a lot, you were called a "hoarder."

During that same time frame, hicap magazines were difficult to find and prices were also jacked up. Even 25 rd mags for a 10-22 were affected. I had to pay a higher price to get some that arrived months after the order was placed. Previously, prices were lower, items received in less than a week.

EBR's were in the same boat, with orders taking a year to fill on some things.

All 3 areas were reacting to the Obama presidency...which may rear its head again. He didn't sign or push for anything detrimental to gunowners, but many fear a second term would be much different, with Executive Orders being signed almost immediately.

Ammo probably won't be outlawed, but mags and EBR's might be, or be severely restricted quickly.

The answers will depend on what you currently own, but I'm still curious.

Buy an AR, 5 mags then 500 rds, then back to more mags? Or 5000 rds, then more AR's? Or more hicap mags for all your guns before ammo?

So, what to buy? How much or how many?
My approach would be this (in this order).

Buy AR15 stripped lowers. You can get several for the price of 1 AR15 rifle. You can always build the AR15 later.

Buy hi capacity magazines.

Buy bullets.

Ignition Override
May 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
hso:
As for "egg on their face", I've stated this before, but a single seller in July '09 listed over 45,000 rds. of Russian 7.62x39 ammo on Gunbroker.
Maybe this is normal for ammo and happens all the time.

Some people counted far over 60,000 rds., and his town was Keene, NH.

He might have been a scalper who saw the panic cooling off much faster than expected? All I can conclude is that such scalpers created the general impression that there was only an authentic shortage, not an artificially-induced shortage.

22-rimfire
May 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
Laws are still handled by the Executive, the Legislative, and the Judicial.

Yes they are. But regulations are not voted on by the people or the people's representatives. But, they have the force of law. If you can go to prison for not disposing of some trash in the proper way because of some regulation, who needs "laws". There are so many examples and they are real.

David E, I would buy what you need or feel you will need in the next couple of years.

HGUNHNTR
May 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
Back in 2007 I coined the term "Banic" on THR...I think it will apply again. :)

David E
May 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
Silly, non-descriptive term, IMO....

Mr. T
June 3, 2012, 12:51 AM
I am just curious as to anyone here has noticed a drastic rise in ammunition. Today I went to one of my favorite sporting goods stores to purchase my usual ammunition for practice at the range. For starter the shelves were practically empty, but for what was left, in specific, the .45 ACP rounds were more than triple the cost for the same ammunition that I purchased not more than a month ago. Did I miss some ammunition tax law that was passed recently? Has anyone else experienced similar situations?:fire:

[Mod note: Merged this with the existing thread on the topic. - Jorg]

Balrog
June 3, 2012, 02:04 AM
The economy is tanking. Look at the what the DJIA has done over the last two months. Even if Romney wins, he will not fix our primary problem, which is over spending. Now is the time to move money from corporate stocks and into survival stocks. Canned goods, ammo, and guns will soon be our new money.

Hacker15E
June 3, 2012, 10:00 AM
I am just curious as to anyone here has noticed a drastic rise in ammunition. Today I went to one of my favorite sporting goods stores to purchase my usual ammunition for practice at the range. For starter the shelves were practically empty, but for what was left, in specific, the .45 ACP rounds were more than triple the cost for the same ammunition that I purchased not more than a month ago. Did I miss some ammunition tax law that was passed recently? Has anyone else experienced similar situations?

Yes....demand is going up, supply is staying the same or decreasing, and thus prices are going up. Yes, people are seeing this all over the country, and not as a result of a conspiracy or tax, just plain old capitalism at work.

EvilGenius
June 3, 2012, 10:28 AM
Been hitting up Academy for target loads for the last few weeks and their shelves have been packed, heck theyre even allowing pistol ammo on the regular shelves now instead of behind the counter.

Prices dont seem to have changed over the last 3-4 months.

David E
June 3, 2012, 12:06 PM
Prices seem steady in OK, with only the occasional slight price increase.

Stock at WM seems a bit spotty as far as 9mm, .40 and .45 go.

I've not seen a Federal 100 pack of .223 in a few months, but Tula .223 and some Remington 20 rd boxes can be found.....sometimes.

Academy seems able to keep Hornady Steel Match in .223 in stock along with their "Zombie Max" green tipped premium ammo.

B!ngo
June 4, 2012, 12:32 AM
My local Wal-Mart is wiped out of all common ammo. Shotgun shells are all they have.

:eek:
Mine had the usual ebb and flow of availability. They're running on the standard Walmart clock. If you take a snapshot in time on the 'ebb days' it looks like a shortage and everyone no doubt uses that interweb tcp/ip protocol thingie to tell everyone about it. When they just go in and buy what they want or need, it's not worthy of a message.
I hope this is what's happening but truth is, what I fear is that the combination of the web and instantaneous asynchronous anonymous communication combined with a worsening education system ('well Darla, no one can PROVE that the Mayan's are wrong, eh??!!) will further whipsaw this country.
So sad.
B

If you enjoyed reading about "2012 Shortage/Hoarding Mega Thread" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!