.45 colt accuracy?

PDA

Archangel14
March 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
Okay gents....you were all very helpful with your advice in my ".45 Colt Recoil?" thread. Seems like moderate loads will be more than sufficient to take medium size hogs without breaking my wrist.

BUT THE NEXT QUESTION: how accurate is the .45 Colt? Keep in mind that I'll be shooting from a 7.5 inch Blackhawk. I'm estimating out to abut 50 yards. Thanks all!

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 colt accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robctwo
March 17, 2012, 10:09 AM
I have a 6.5" S&W 25-13 "Classic", a 5" 25-7 and a 4 5/8" Blackhawk. At 50 yards off hand I can reliably put 50% of my rounds onto an 8.5x11" target most days. Sometimes I'm in the 60-75% range. I just put a red dot on the 25-13 and have not had a chance with the weather to see if there is much improvement.

We are shooting clay birds off the hill at the back of the bays at my club. 30-40 yards. I hit birds with regularity, but not every shot. Lots of fun to get two or three guys shooting at the same bird.

Quoheleth
March 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
My Uberti SAA clone will let me hit a 8" plate at 50 yards 50% or better. My load is 8gr Unique and a 250 or 255gr cast bullet.

The Uberti has a 5" barrel (I think it's actually 4 3/4") fixed sights and shoots about 6" low at 7 yards, so it takes some Kentucky windage to get dialed in at distance.

With the longer barrel and adjustable sights, you should be able to do that with a Blackhawk all day long.

Q

Kbaker
March 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
With a good bullet and load, if you can't hold minute-of-hog at 50 yards with a 7.5" Blackhawk, I suggest the problem is you, and not the gun.

I also would recommend the cast RCBS 270-SAA bullet. It's available commercially if you don't cast your own. This works VERY well out of my 4" S&W 25-13 Mountain Gun over either Unique or 2400.

Old Fuff
March 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
Years ago at a Metallic Silhouette match I unexpectedly won when I knocked down rams (about the same size or slightly smaller then a hog) at 100 yards using an old Colt Single Action Army 7 1/2" and regular Remington .45 Colt cartridges.

This performance was seldom duplicated, but it wasn't the revolver's fault. :uhoh:

It's unlikely you will find a quality revolver that won't group tighter then you can hold.

Coyote3855
March 17, 2012, 11:43 AM
Old Fuff speaks for me. I shot a ton of .45 Colt in Single Action competition. Most of my guns shoot better than I do.

Driftwood Johnson
March 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Howdy

For a long time the 44 Special was thought to be one of the most accurate revolver cartridges around. But the fact is, there is nothing about the 45 Colt that should make it any less accurate than the 44 Sp.

The only problem sometimes surfaces with chamber throat diameter mismatched to the rifling groove diameter. This can usually be corrected by bullet diameter selection. In extreme cases, chamber throats may need opening up, but that seems to be less of a problem with Rugers these days.

BCCL
March 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
For this deer hunt, I sighted in my Ruger Blackhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel for 50 yards, and practiced on those 6" little white paper plates.

.45 colt is plenty accurate for that kind of shooting!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/Bear_Claw_Chris_Lappe/2010%20Deer%20Hunt/6-Ruger.jpg

CraigC
March 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
For a long time the 44 Special was thought to be one of the most accurate revolver cartridges around. But the fact is, there is nothing about the 45 Colt that should make it any less accurate than the 44 Sp.

The only problem sometimes surfaces with chamber throat diameter mismatched to the rifling groove diameter. This can usually be corrected by bullet diameter selection. In extreme cases, chamber throats may need opening up, but that seems to be less of a problem with Rugers these days.
What he said! There is nothing inherently accurate or inaccurate about the .45Colt. The problem lies with the guns. Despite the fact that everybody else is using modern dimensions, Colt still cuts their chambers for .454" or larger bullets. My 3rd generation New Frontier has .457" throats. However, this does not keep it from shooting one inch groups at 25yds with either a 250gr RNFP over 9.0gr Unique or a 275gr LFN over 17.0gr 2400. Both sized at .452". Ruger has gone both ways, undersized and oversized. Undersized is easily fixed with a reamer. Everybody but USFA has oversized chambers. Due to all of this, .44Spl's and .44Mag's tend to be more accurate but it's not the cartridge's fault.

critter
March 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have a P&R S&W 25-2 with an 8 3/8" barrel that will scare you with its accuracy. Deer killer-iron sights at 50 yds will put a hard cast SWC just exactly where you hold it and it WILL punch a hole COMPLETELY through a deer. Been there-done that.

PO2Hammer
March 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
Years ago at a Metallic Silhouette match I unexpectedly won when I knocked down rams (about the same size or slightly smaller then a hog) at 100 yards using an old Colt Single Action Army 7 1/2" and regular Remington .45 Colt cartridges.
At my club's IHMSA Field Pistol 100 yard matches .45 and .44 caliber Blackhawk compete head to head with the Contenders in .22 Hornet and .270 Ren and do very well.

New class this year, field pistols, any position (creedmore, etc...). Should be fun. I think I'll shoot my .44 spl Bisley Blackhawk.

The new mid frame Bisleys, flat tops, and Vaqueros use an improved chamber cutting method for more consistent chambers. My Buddy's large frame Blackhawk .45 Colt is a very good shooter at 25 yards, the furthest I've shot it.

SlamFire1
March 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
When I sent my M25-7 back to Smith and Wesson for work, I asked for the function test target. The S&W shooter shot offhand at 25 yards. Shoots good enough for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Pistols/ReducedM25-7BesideBoxDSCN2031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Pistols/reducedFactoryTargetM25-7DSCN2044.jpg

DocRx
March 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
I agree with the above, the 45Colt is very accurate. I use my Taurus Judge Tracker 6.5in 45Colt/410ga 2.5in cylinder to hunt deer and other critters, and the Judge is more than adequate and accurate. Take care and be safe.

bergmen
March 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
I had a .45 Colt Blackhawk for about 12 years until I sold it to my son when I got my new .45 Colt Bisley. Both extremely accurate at ranges out to 100 yards.

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/47519/2628941370053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Im not sure if you are planning to reload for this caliber but it is one of the best ways to enjoy the full range of performance this fine caliber has to offer. I wouldn't trade my Ruger Bisley for anything, one of the most fun handguns I've ever owned.

Dan

wlewisiii
March 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
For some reason, I always see people shooting the Blackhawk one handed like an old bullseye shooter. Don't. Grab hold with both hands, get a good isosceles stance and good sight picture instead. Even my 4 5/8" barrel Blackhawk in .45 Colt is plenty accurate if I do my part correctly.

BCRider
March 19, 2012, 01:40 AM
But that's not how Clint and The Duke did it ! ! ! ! ! :D

ArchAngel14, I'm not really sure what you expect for an answer. There's very few guns out there from the major makers which are bad shooters for accuracy. They all will shoot even average ammo to group sizes from a Ransom rest that are tighter than the average shooter can even begin to hope for. Almost all the time if a gun isn't performing well it's not the ammo or the gun.

Case in point. I'm in no danger of winning a position on my National Olympic Shooting Team any time soon. But I've found that I can match or slightly outperform the average decent shooter out of those I've had a chance to shoot with.

With an OK semi gun I can manage 2'ish inch size groups at 15 yards shot slow for accuracy. And my revolvers with the right ammo manage to get me down a little to more like slighty over 1.5 inch groups at 15. Now and then I get to shoot a really fantastic gun which lets me do a little better than the 1.5 inch number at 15. But I don't get to shoot these for long enough to tell me if it's good luck or I'm really that good.

But at 15 yards any of these guns is capable of a one ragged hole the size of a quarter or less if they are shot from a Ransom rest. So the size of the groups I get that are over this size is due to me as a less than perfect support and sighting platform.

It may intrest you to know that every time I've seem my own guns suddenly close up their groups to any significant degree it was when shooting cast lead ammo. It's happened often enough to me with enough different guns that I can't see it being an accident. So that may point to some options for you to consider. But we're still talking about maybe 15 to 20% tighter. Not something like half the size or anything silly like that.

I should also note that I'm talking about shooting freestyle. That is two handed and unsupported. And relying on rather shakey old guy eyeballs... which is why I don't like shooting out much past 20 yards if I can help it...:D

If I were to take up handgun hunting then I'd be shooting entirely differently. First off I'd get me a handgun scope so I could see the poor beast. Second I'd be more inclined to both practice and hunt using available support in the form of trees, bushes or possibly a set of crossed sticks which I would have with me to steady my aim. Once skilled in this style I don't doubt that I would be able to consistently hit the suitable size fatal zone of around 3 inch diameter at the 50 yard range. If I couldn't do it consistently then I would not be handgun hunting.

ClemY
March 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
The .45 Colt can be very accurate, but because it is so old, there seems to be a large variation in dimensions of critical areas of the guns. Rugers tended to be too big in years past (like .456 chamber throats). More recently they went too far and made things too tight (like .450 throats). The consensus seems to be that .452 plus .001 seems to work well. That combined with a good smooth barrel in the range of .451 to .452, good chamber alignment, no constriction at the barrel thread, good forcing cone, you can get a very accurate gun. It just takes a little time to check things out. Then play with loads to see what it likes. Mine have never been picky about loads.

tipoc
March 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
The best way to find out is to take a variety of loads and and go shoot. In fact it is the only way to find out.

Likely you will find that the round is as accurate as you are with most other rounds out of other guns. And/or the round is as accurate as you are with that particular gun and the loads you have.

The biggest factor will be what you can do.

tipoc

451 Detonics
March 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have no problem running a rack 6 inch plates at 35 yards with my 4 1/2 in Blackhawk. I would try it first in a very solid rest and see what the gun is capable of then start working on shooting as well as it can.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 colt accuracy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!