Serbu Super Shorty?

PDA

Swing
March 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Serbu Super Shorty? Looks like an interesting little rig, but I'd imagine it would be a handful to shoot.

It is an AOW, so is NFA regulated, but I live in a county and state where it's not a problem provided the NFA paperwork is taken care of.

So, just wondering if anyone has first hand experience shooting them. How did it run? Hows the recoil? I understand Mark Serbu will make a SBS version with a folding stock; anyone try it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Serbu Super Shorty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
March 17, 2012, 09:58 PM
It looks.... ow.

It has a 3" chamber, too... Slugs, anyone? :neener:

Ludasmith
March 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Mark will probably make you whatever you want. He's good people.

I love mine. It's a mofo to shoot though. Even with bulk pack birdshot from Wally World I don't care to shoot more than 3 rounds at a time. Definitely cool and it works great, I've never had a problem.

I've considered going SBS with it. Maybe if I ever get a trust set up and take it out of the corp name I'll do it then. It looks like the one folder setup (can't remember the brand) would still be smaller overall than the gun so it wouldn't stick out the front when folded.

kd7nqb
March 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
Have never shot one but I can say that if I were to own one NFA item it would be one of these I have always liked them.

TXSWFAN
March 17, 2012, 11:33 PM
Like ludusmith said, even 2 3/4" dove shot hurts after about five rounds. It's still fun to shoot.

Swing
March 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thank ya all for the info. It does look like a little wristbreaker, but its got style. :)

RAINS
March 25, 2012, 11:34 PM
Maybe put one of thous knoxx recoil reducing pistol grips on it?

MasterSergeantA
March 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Maybe put one of thous knoxx recoil reducing pistol grips on it?
I did that with my 12" 870 AOW and it made a difference. Does add some length however, so concealability is reduced a tad for those who have to consider that. Another option might be the old Speedfeed 'chicken neck' grip. Some have told me the change in angle helps.

Quiet
March 28, 2012, 03:00 AM
A few people I know in CA have them.
The Serbu Super Shorty AOW and the Safety Harbor KEG-12 AOW are popular in CA due to AOWs being the easiest NFA firearm a non-exempt person can acquire in CA.

After about 6 rounds of 00 buckshot or slugs, I don't want to shoot it anymore due to how unpleasant the felt recoil is.

The Blackhawk/Knoxx recoil reducing Breacher grip does help in lowering the felt recoil. I can shoot about 15 rounds, before being done for the day.

The Aguila mini-shells are nice. You get one extra shell in the tube and the felt recoil is less than shooting regular shotgun shells.

Midwest Doc
March 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Serbu Super Shorty? Looks like an interesting little rig, but I'd imagine it would be a handful to shoot.

It is an AOW, so is NFA regulated, but I live in a county and state where it's not a problem provided the NFA paperwork is taken care of.

So, just wondering if anyone has first hand experience shooting them. How did it run? Hows the recoil? I understand Mark Serbu will make a SBS version with a folding stock; anyone try it?
I own a Super Shorty on a Remington platform. It is the PERFECT home defense weapon.

dogtown tom
March 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Midwest Doc ...I own a Super Shorty on a Remington platform. It is the PERFECT home defense weapon.
Only in video games.:scrutiny:

I'll take a plain 'ol 870 w/ 18" barrel and five rounds over a gimmick Shorty any day.

MasterSergeantA
March 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
A few people I know in CA have them.
The Serbu Super Shorty AOW and the Safety Harbor KEG-12 AOW are popular in CA due to AOWs being the easiest NFA firearm a non-exempt person can acquire in CA.

After about 6 rounds of 00 buckshot or slugs, I don't want to shoot it anymore due to how unpleasant the felt recoil is.

The Blackhawk/Knoxx recoil reducing Breacher grip does help in lowering the felt recoil. I can shoot about 15 rounds, before being done for the day.

The Aguila mini-shells are nice. You get one extra shell in the tube and the felt recoil is less than shooting regular shotgun shells.
In which model of the SS do you run the Aguilas? I haven't had any luck cycling them in anything but a Winchester.

Quiet
March 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
In which model of the SS do you run the Aguilas? I haven't had any luck cycling them in anything but a Winchester.
Mossberg version.
Not a 100% reliable, but good enough for shooting at the range.

MasterSergeantA
March 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
Ah, okay. I had heard that some folks had come up with mods that would run them in other guns, but hadn't heard much about success rates. The mini-shells are great for short-barreled side-by-sides as well. Makes teaching littler folks a bit easier.

RCArms.com
March 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Only in video games.:scrutiny:

I'll take a plain 'ol 870 w/ 18" barrel and five rounds over a gimmick Shorty any day.
Have to agree here as well. Rem 870 Police or just a plain jane 870 w/18" barrel and standard 5rd tube is just about perfect.

No gimcks, no uber tactical accessories hanging all over it. The only add-on I would consider on my personal HD set-up would be a forend light (White Light).

MrM4
March 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Had a SSS, highly over rated. The novelty wears off almost instantly.

Ironman
May 19, 2012, 04:11 PM
I've owned one for awhile and love it. Of course you have to trash the stock grip before you shoot it. Mine has the hogue tamer pistol grip and I can shoot it one handed. You can shoot it all day with that grip. Always turns heads and a blast to shoot!

dprice3844444
May 19, 2012, 06:55 PM
i'vegot 2 of the wilson arms witness protection shotguns 13 inch,sweet shooters.the serbu is a clone of the wilson arms co executive protection shotgun that tubbs used in miami vice,except the serbu is not cut for a choke,unless special ordered.

Saakee
May 19, 2012, 07:17 PM
If I owned a Serbu, it'd spend ninety percent of its time with a standard stock, +5-7 tube, and a same length barrel and would only be in its Super Shorty config when traveling I think.

Could the pump action from the SS configuration be used on a different capacity tube?

Swing
May 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Ah, thanx gents for the info. :)

paintballdude902
May 20, 2012, 07:51 PM
this will be my next carry gun...

Firewire
December 9, 2012, 06:20 PM
For range time fun one in 20 gauge #9 would be family fun I would think. I guess you can't put a foregrip on the 18" huh (without making it an SBR/AOW)?

dogtown tom
December 9, 2012, 11:25 PM
Firewire .....I guess you can't put a foregrip on the 18" huh (without making it an SBR/AOW)?
Sure you can.
Rifles, shotguns, other firearms don't become AOW's when you add a vertical foregrip.......only handguns do.

Davek1977
December 11, 2012, 06:25 AM
It is the PERFECT home defense weapon. If you like excessive concussion, muzzle blast, and recoil coupled with a limited capacity in a package that is so small it is nearly impossible to control or point well, you're right, its a perfect home defense weapon. If you prefer a gun that has capacity, points and handles easily, that allows for quick follow up shots, that isn't NFA-regulated, and can be effectively used by most people......the Serbu leaves quite a bit to be desired. Its a neat novelty gun, but far from being the best home defense weapon around.

MachIVshooter
December 12, 2012, 12:14 AM

Agreed.

The only SBS that appeals to me is a SxS. Otherwise, I find an 18"-20" gun more manageable, and I much prefer the 5 or 6 round tube to the 1 or 2 round tubes on these super short scatterguns.

That said, something using Kel Tec's double mag tube idea may be interesting. You could have a 10" barreled shotgun with 6+1 capacity. Of course, the KSG is pretty compact to begin with, and that 14+1 capacity is a strong suit.

MBaneACP
December 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
I love mine, but it's a bear to shoot with anything other than Feather-lites. The fold-down forward grip is like holding a wood rasp...

Michael B

Firewire
December 18, 2012, 08:54 PM
I love mine, but it's a bear to shoot with anything other than Feather-lites. The fold-down forward grip is like holding a wood rasp...

Michael B

Is yours the Rem or Moss?

Firewire
December 31, 2012, 06:00 PM
Also, is there a reason to get the longer 10" other than the extra round?

Loc n Load
January 2, 2013, 06:03 PM
The Serbu shorty or any short pistol gripped shotgun is a tool for special applications. I used to carry a 870 that was cut off at the pistol grip and mag tube under a jacket when I was doing high risk transport details for Uncle S.
This had the blessings of the U.S. Gov't. We carried them with WW #4 buck.
Rigged them with a bungee cord similar to a "merc harness" for under arm carry. I have carried one under a windbreaker along with my pistol and mags and never been made for being armed. They are unpleasant to shoot, but at 7yds to contact range they are awesome.
Not something for the meek or timid, they have a tremendous muzzle blast, huge muzzle flash and lots of felt recoil. Specialized tool for specialized applications. Bigger hammer for bigger nails.

Firewire
January 2, 2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks Loc N Load for the reply!

I was just looking purely at it for a range toy and was planning on a Hogue Tamer pistol grip to help with felt recoil and also reduce recoil ammo at the range.

I wish they still made the Rem version in 20 gauge to help with the "fun factor" even more. The Moss version can be purchased in 12, 20, or 410, but I like the stoutness and more heirloom like quality of the Rem 870.

Ironman
January 4, 2013, 09:31 PM
My buddy shoots it indoors in this video. He's a US Marine vet and had been wanting to shoot the Serbu for a year....so I went to the gun range he worked at and let em run it:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaiA55B7OQ

Firewire
January 5, 2013, 12:31 PM
Nice vid! Heck of a variety of NFA toys!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Serbu Super Shorty?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!