Best way to care for phosphated barrels...

PDA

SilentStalker
March 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
As the title states I am looking to see what the best way to care for a phosphated barrel might be? It seems to be really tough stuff which is awesome but I am wondering if I need to do anything special to it to make the finish last etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to care for phosphated barrels..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
Clean it and oil it.

Don't rub it on hard stuff.
Don't rub hard stuff on it.

rc

SilentStalker
March 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Thats it huh? Well, that's good cause that is all I do with it. I was wondering if cleaning and oiling it too much might damage it some how but from what I have read phosphates barrels are pretty darn tough. Thanks mate.

Cesiumsponge
March 19, 2012, 01:11 AM
Keep a good anti-corrosion oil on it. Manganese phosphated surfaces are very porous and can retain a fair amount of oil.

animator
March 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
Just keep it oiled, as the surface will soak it up. Any metal-on-metal contact surfaces will eventually wear down, but oil will go a long way. Other than that, there's not much you need to do with it.

writerinmo
March 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
Glad to see this posting, I just ordered a muzzle brake for one of my rifles and noted that it was a 'black phosphate" finish and was wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best way to care for phosphated barrels..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!