cleaning 50 cal

PDA

rajb123
March 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
when i first got this gun 20 years ago, I used to remove the nipple and put the barrel in a bath tub to clean it with water....

Is this necessary or can I use a few patches soaked with Hoppes #9?

If you enjoyed reading about "cleaning 50 cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
March 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
You would probably obtain better results using M-Pro 7 Spray Cleaner instead of Hoppes #9. But you'll still need to use plenty of elbow grease and more than just a few patches.
What's wrong, you don't like giving the old gal a bubble bath any more? :rolleyes:

MPro-7 for carbon removal

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=607372&highlight=mpro

loose noose
March 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've been using 1/3 hydrogen peroxide,1/3 Murphy's soap oil, and 1/3 rubbing alcohol, for over 35 years on all my BP arms. It sure gets 'em nice and clean with no ill effects. Depending on where you're from if you live in a dry climate, you can use Thompson's Bore Butter to prevent any rust; just make sure you wipe the bore down with a dry patch before you shoot it again. Works for me.:D

mustanger
March 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
rajb123: First, note that there is a difference between Hoppes #9 and Hoppes #9 plus.
9 is for smokeless powder, and 9 plus is for black powder and the subs.
The usuall is to submerge the breech end in a container of soapy water. Then work the cleaning jag with a patch on it up and down the barrel drawing the water up the barrel. I use an oval icecream container, some use pails. The water doesn't have to be hot. Some use hot water, but get flash rust. Some use warm, or even cold water. You don't need much dish soap in the water. When you think you have the bore clean switch to clear water and do it some more.
You don't really want to use petrolium based products. Natural, and water based. If you use petrolium in the bore you'll want to swab it out before shooting.
There is a sticky at the top of the board that has some really good reading. Also you can look back at the past postings, and find different threads relating to cleaning.

If you enjoyed reading about "cleaning 50 cal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!