New Improved Remington .22 'bulk' ammo

PDA

gbw
March 19, 2012, 01:51 AM
Sorry if this has been covered.

I've long had best results in .22 bulk ammo with Remington, followed not closely by Federal and Winchester bulk, in that order. But they all exhibit failures and variability.

Went to buy more, now it's Remington 'New, Improved' 225 pack for $10.

I figger that at 4.4 cents / round, v. 3.3 cents/rd for the older 550 pack at $18. A little over a penny per shot higher.

I think it IS better ammo. Fired about 200 through several handguns today. No failures and I could not feel any of the usual variability normal with bulk ammo. Accuracy was as good or better than I'm used to, but I didn't study it closely.

Is is as good as CCI or the higher grade 50 rd./box Remington, Winchester, Federal, ete.? Time will tell. Worth the price increase? To each his own.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Improved Remington .22 'bulk' ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
March 19, 2012, 02:08 AM
I never had many FTF out of Remington bulk ammo. However, it never proved to be the more accurate of any bulk ammo that I tried in quality rifles. I'll buy the cheap stuff for my pistols, but not for use in rifles when I want tight groups.

GWARGHOUL
March 19, 2012, 05:51 AM
Remington golden bulk was always reliable, but it seems to gum up and dirty up my Winchester 67 and my Marlin 60SS.

..Like complete disassemble bath and scrub dirty.

Davek1977
March 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
Remington GB's have been the MOST problematic bulk ammo in nearly any .22 I've shot them in...grossly inconsistent, and not all that reliable. I'm hoping the new ammo realy is an improvement, as I would gladly pay more if the quality justifies it.

crestoncowboy
March 19, 2012, 08:32 AM
I too have gotten the worst results in pretty much all my guns with golden bullets. I recently bought a case of 5500 and out of the first box alone I had about 20 that would not go off, and about 20 more that went off only after I took them out and turned them. I usually buy the Winchester or federal bulk packs. Does the new and i'm improved use the same bullet. I'll try some if I see any.

MedWheeler
March 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
My Rugers (10/22 and Mk-II) have never liked any "bulk" ammo, though the Remington stuff isn't as problematic as the Winchester Super-X stuff. The only stuff I've used that is 100 percent reliable is the CCI Mini-Mags. If the "new and improved" Remington ammo is indeed as good as that, it would definitely be good news.

hogshead
March 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Seems like all the bulk stuff has some duds but I usually buy it because of price. Speaking of Wal Mart just went up $3 dollars a box on the 55O Win box's and the clerk told me they were not getting any other brand in larger than 100 round box's. And so the madness begins.

22-rimfire
March 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
Had not seen the Remington 225 count bulk packs yet. Remington has been catching a lot of grief about the quality of their rimfire ammo for the last 5 years. My question is simple.... is this just repackaged golden bullets that come from the same machines as the older bulk packs OR is this truely something new with a higher QA/QC? Advertising vs Reality???

Old Dog Man
March 19, 2012, 01:49 PM
I don't know iff it's a true fact or not, but I heard they were using Eley primed cases. What have you heared? Al

CraigC
March 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Have not seen these new bulk packs either. Noticed a sharp decline in the old 550rd pack's availability. Just bought six at Dick's over the weekend. I'm glad they're coming back repackaged, even if the load is unchanged.This is my favorite bulk .22LR load, of which I typically use 2000-3000rds a month through any of two dozen rifles, pistols and sixguns.

gfpd707
March 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Like most information on the internet it is repeated mostly by people who have little experience with the issue. I use whatever i can get my hands on. Remington golden bullets have functioned as well as any other.

22-rimfire
March 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
I use whatever i can get my hands on. Remington golden bullets have functioned as well as any other.

Well, they don't function on average as well as the Federal bulk pack ammo. But I find the Remingtons fairly accurate overall, so I still shoot them and put up with all the duds.

CraigC
March 19, 2012, 03:43 PM
Well, they don't function on average as well as the Federal bulk pack ammo.
They function in more of my guns than Federal. Some don't run on Federal at all.

dos0711
March 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
My Colt Huntsman doesn't like Winchester or Federal...it does like Remington though.

rugerman07
March 19, 2012, 06:51 PM
I've had nothing but problems with Remington's GB 550 bulk pack's in both my 10/22 and Mark II, lots of jams, misfires, & low powder rounds. They worked alright in my Single Six but I still had several low powder issues with it. My best results for 22/LR bulk pack ammo is CCI Blazer, all of my Ruger's like it just fine. I will give Remington another chance and check out the NEW & IMPROVED 225 bulk packs for $10.00 and we'll see if Remington has truly upgraded their GB.

Ranger Roberts
March 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
I hope that it is improved. I have had nothing but terrible luck with Remington golden bulk ammo in both of my 10/22's, yet they fire fine with any other manufacturer! Sometimes it seems like every other shot is a FTF. However the same ammo works fine in my bolt action rifles? Very odd..

22-rimfire
March 19, 2012, 07:50 PM
Just bought six at Dick's over the weekend.

Craig, Did your Dicks have any CCI SV? I guess you know there has been a small price increase.

With regard to Remington rimfire ammo... I still shoot it and I generally don't have many issues with it except for a few FTF's and an occasional low powered one. But they shoot pretty well (about 3/4" at 50 yds). I just don't shoot them in my semi-auto's.

Craig you do a lot of rimfire shooting. You shoot more in a month than I do in 3 months on average. My usual outing is 200-300 rounds..

SlowFuse
March 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
I use Rem Golden Bullets exclusively when we are talking bulk ammo. I have to say that I do get a fair share of what seems to be underloaded rounds, however it seems the best from what ive tried in my rifles for just pure plinking. Rarely have a misfire. The worst i'd say is the Winchester "Xpert"... I actually found a roofing nail in the one and ONLY box I bought. Plus it didn't feed in the semis well... Anyways, I stopped by Academy, Walmart and my local gun shop to see if I could spot any of the improved ammo today . None had it, but i'm looking forward to getting my hands on some! Thanks for the heads up!

BoilerUP
March 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
The only case failure I've ever had was with GBs; they also are markedly dirtier in my Marlin 60, 25N, 10/22 and Savage FV-SR.

Damn if my AA G19 kit doesn't eat them like candy, though...

Clipper
March 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Remington Cyclone and Thunderbolt ammo cured me permanently from ever buying Rem rimfire of any sort ever again...Federal for plinking with my run of the mill .22s, but my BL-22 gets stingers exclusively.

SlowFuse
March 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
but my BL-22 gets stingers exclusively

Clipper, I have an older model BL-22 and it seems that stingers have a little resistance at the end of the stroke of the lever. Do you experience the same thing? I know that they are a tad longer...

jrdolall
March 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
My older 10/22 fires the bulk Remington just fine. My winchester semi fires the first 100 or so fine and then starts acting up until a good cleaning gets it going again. My Browning Buckmark will absolutely NOT handle the Remington bulk. I swear I can hear the gun start cussing if I load a mag with these bullets and then it proceeds to FTF 3-5 times per mag. Change to CCI and it will fire flawlessly through 200 rounds. As a family we will sometimes fire 3-4,000 rounds of .22 on a nice, cool weekend. 4 people shooting a tube fed Winchester 77 semi, a Remington model 72 pump, 2 10/22's with 10 and 25 round clips, an AK 22 with 10 and 24 round clips, a Buckmark, a Ruger MarkII and a couple of bolt actions with the silencer attached adds up to a lot of ammo. It takes almost a full box of 550 just to load everything up once! I will look for the 225 pack and give it a try in the Buckmark and let you know what I find.

3KillerBs
March 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
My experience with Remington Golden Bullets and my Ruger Mark III Hunter is that buying a 550 pack was a great way to train malfunction drills.

But I'm entirely open to the possibility that Remington could improve the product.

mongo4567
March 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
About 3 years ago, I had several bulk packs of Remington in a row that were horrible. I would never make 50 rounds without a misfire...it was more like 20 or 30 if I remember right. Plus I have a Spikes Tactical AR conversion that won't chamber the Remington. I switched to Federal and have been happy, it is also cleaner. I tried a couple bulk packs of recent mfg Remington when ammo was scarce and it was much, much better.

FROGO207
March 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well if most of you like the Rem Golden bullets then I will have my pick of all the others won't I?:D Around these parts the only .22 ammo on the shelves were the Golden crud when the shortages hit. The sales people said they were not selling any of it to speak of at that time.That says something about what we shoot around here.:cool: IMHO any ammo can have problems but in my experience a 25%+ failure rate when used in all of my 20 rimfire firearms of many types/brands as opposed to other brands is a good indication of poor quality.:mad: I also will return to the store after a while and get some to try again when I hear you all are getting better results with it for an extended period.

1KPerDay
March 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
The only case failure I've ever had was with GBs; they also are markedly dirtier in my Marlin 60, 25N, 10/22 and Savage FV-SR.

Damn if my AA G19 kit doesn't eat them like candy, though...
Same here... I've avoided them for years but they are the ONLY stuff that functions 100% in my AA 1911 conversion. and I mean 100%. Zero malfs in about 1500 rounds now. A few duds, but I suppose that can't be helped. But it runs.

Clipper
March 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
Clipper, I have an older model BL-22 and it seems that stingers have a little resistance at the end of the stroke of the lever. Do you experience the same thing? I know that they are a tad longer...

This is my second BL-22 and it's still pretty new and hasn't fully worn in (less than 100 rounds), and the only anomaly I have had is an occasional failure to fully cock the hammer. It will occasionally take another 1/16" or so of travel to fully cock the hammer. It's probably my own fault, because I have wide hands, but relatively short fingers and I don'r move my thumb on the stock when I flick the lever and I suspect I don't get the lever completely to full stroke. Time will tell, but I'm not having any trouble getting the rounds to chamber.

BTW, my previous (1980s vintage) BL-22 ate 'em without any issues, too.

jrdolall
March 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
I bought some .22 bulk packs today at Academy Sports. Winchester white box and Remington GP and both were around $18 for the 550 pack. They did not have any of the 225. They were also out of all Stingers.

Viper225
March 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
I bought lots of Golden bullets years ago, and it all worked fine back then. Somewhere over the years the quality seems to have fallen off.
The last 5 Years:
We shoot lots of Semi-Auto Rimfire at our Sportsman's Club. We have a Rimfire Division in our Defensive Pistol Match, and we also have a Rimfire Division in 2 Gun.
The Club Secretary has been running Golden Bullets in a Remington Semi Auto Rifle, and doing fine. The majority of us were running 10-22's, and the Golden Bullets were not running well in them at all. Most all have went to Federal Bulk Pak. About everyone quit Remington rimfire ammo due to jams, and fail to fire issues.

In the last year or two:
Lots of us have been moving to AR Platform 22's. The Club Secretary has moved up to an M&P AR15-22. He is still shooting Remington, and doing fine. Most all others are running Federal or the CCI Tactical load at this time. The Golden Bullets are not being used, as about everyone has already wrote off Remington ammo from shooting problems in 10-22's, and MK III Rugers.

My thoughts.
If you have been shooting bolt actions, pumps, and lever guns, you have probably never had any issues with Remington Golden Bullets. Some semi auto's probably run the Remington ok also. If you shoot Revolvers and some semi auto pistols it might run ok for you.
Most of us shooting Action Matches with 10-22's and Ruger Mk III's gave up on Golden Bullets a long time ago. If it had improved, we might not have noticed. I have no idea how Golden Bullets run in my Tac Sol AR15-22, as I quit buying them several years ago.

I certainly hope the quality has improved with the price increase. I will give them another try.

Bob

intercooler
March 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
The Golden bullet Remingtons have been responsible for several damaged guns recently. Only type to have actually ruptured in my own .22!

What is the "NEW" .22 offering labeled? Part number, specs??

Winchester 555's have proven to be a good bulk ammo. I personally love CCI Stingers.

BoilerUP
March 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
I had a Remington Golden Bullet case rupture in my Advantage Arms G19 kit. Didn't hurt the pistol in the least (hit a 6" steel plate @ 30yd with that shot actually) but made me very, VERY wary of them.

Only issue I've seen after putting about 300 down the pipe.

Charger442
March 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Remington bulk has been terrible ammo for a while. consistant no-fires, bent cases etc. in three different 10/22s, a Mossberg 51m and a Walther p22. Federal seems to be better, but i dont know much about the Winchester bulk.

Deltaboy
March 22, 2012, 11:04 PM
I can hope and pray that Remmy got thier 22 ammo FIXED ! It was so good back in the 1970-80's. It has been hard to watch it go to pot. I buy Federal or Winny for fun and CCI min mags for hunting.

I might give the new ammo a try.

Cokeman
March 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
I only buy Rem Goldens now. I have never had a dud in Rem or Federal.

NOLAEMT
March 23, 2012, 02:52 AM
To be honest, I'll let someone else beta test the "new" Remington .22 ammo.

In the past it has been the only 22 ammo that would not function in my Ruger MK1. I couldn't even get through a magazine with it, where it will run through a whole brick of anything else without so much as a hiccup.

With all the decent choices in 22 ammo, why waste my time and money on Remington?

Ignition Override
March 23, 2012, 02:58 AM
Is this ammo much less likely to produce very frequent gas blowbacks than the typical green/yellow box ammo? Thunderbolt is even worse in my rifle.
No kidding here, and no exaggeration. I wish that it were. I threw a handful into the river.

In the nice old Savage rifle, which my grandfather bought in the late 40s or so in or near Jackson MS, about every third round blows gas around my shooting glasses.
During 900 rds. of "Commie" Bulgarian 7.62x54R, it only happened Twice......so why can't "all-American" Remington produce good, cheap .22 ammo?
This .22 gas almost never happens with Federal or Winchester.

coalman
March 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Rem Gold bulk is the worst .22lr ammo I've used in quantity. Not too accurate and I've had more than a few case failures and duds. CCI bulk has been the best. Accurate stuff and cycles anything. I'll run Rem bulk I get super cheap, otherwise CCI... >12k delived today actually.

smallbore
March 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
The only Remington .22 ammo I buy/use is their Subsonic.

davevabch
April 5, 2012, 10:25 AM
Wow! Remington Goldens are my favorite bulk ammo. I have a Bersa 22.cal that is a very finicky shooter. The gun chokes on any ammo that is not high Velocity. In fact it will not cycle anything else. One day I put some Rem Golds and Bingo. The gun ate them better than the CCI minimags. I find the Rems to even be more accurate and they seem to have a higher charge.
Personally I think it is really not feasible to have a 22.cal that will only eat expensive ammo. I was almost to the point of selling the Bersa, until I got the Rems. I just saw this post about Walmart going to stop selling the Bulk Pak. I noticed that they have been out of stock lately at my local stores.

By the way, my New Ruger SR22 eats any ammo I have put through it. A wonderful pistol. I have over 3000 rds now through the gun and probably have less than 5-7 malfunctions, which I relate to ammo failures. The gun loves bulk Federal, but will eat anything.

Pilot
April 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
I just can't bring myself to buy any Remington .22 ammo anymore.

CZguy
April 5, 2012, 12:04 PM
I just can't bring myself to buy any Remington .22 ammo anymore.

Well........maybe someone else could buy them for you. :D

bannockburn
April 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
For years Remington rimfire ammo was the absolute worst ammo I have ever used. Way too many failures to feed and or eject, misfires, duds, misshaped bullets, and poor accuracy when I did manage to get a few of them to fire, that I completely gave up on them. I have had far better results with Federal and Winchester bulk packs. So all I can say is that it's going to take a whole lot of "new and improved" for me to even think about using Remington bulk packs again.

351 WINCHESTER
April 5, 2012, 04:53 PM
Remington's famous golden bullet has been junk ammo since I started shooting a .22. That's about 45 years ago. I thought it was normal to have misfires, duds and power levels all over the place in a .22rf until CCI brought out their Stingers in the mid 1970's.

Cokeman
April 5, 2012, 11:15 PM
I've never had a misfire with any .22 ammo in any of my guns. I have only had one misshaped bullet. I scratched a blob of gold off the bullet and then it would feed. And before you say something like "then you haven't been shooting long" keep it to yourself. Yes I have.

davevabch
April 6, 2012, 08:27 PM
It seems any ammo is contingent on the gun that shoots it. I love REMINGTON GOLDENS!
I have followed this ammo closely and a lot of guys love it as well. I have a Bersa that will only eat expensive ammo. I use to shoot mostly CCI MINI mags. Then someone recommended the Rem Golds. They worked great! Cycled the gun and even more accurate.The feel like they have more power. I have shot a ton of these hand they work great. I just hope the new and improved are as good. I just bought two boxes and will find out tomorrow
Regards
Dave@vabch

April 8, 2012, 12:19 AM
Went to buy more, now it's Remington 'New, Improved' 225 pack for $10.

I very much doubt you'll have a misfire with Remington's "New, Improved" ammunition. If you do, there's a very good chance it's a firearm issue. A cleaner burning powder would be a plus, but the new product is incredibly reliable in terms of ignition.

jimk0512
April 8, 2012, 04:19 PM
I quit buying Remington bulk after the last box of 550 had 12 duds. I tried every one of those duds at least twice in my Ruger 22/45, and they would not fire. Never have that problem with Federal bulk, so I quit buying the Remington bulk. I hope they have improved their quality control.

John Van Gelder
April 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
I have chronographed the Remington bulk ammo and there is quite a variance, but if you are just plinking it is not an issue.

Powerglide
April 8, 2012, 07:52 PM
Federals are my bulk choice.Remingtons last. Lots of Ruger autos and semi long guns in my stable that bear this out. Winchesters seem to be pretty good sometimes.

crracer_712
April 8, 2012, 11:29 PM
I stick to Federal Bulk 550 and CCI Blazer. No issues with either in the 20 22's I have. Only my 597's liked the Golden bullets and nothing much liked the Winchester 333 or 555's.

firesky101
April 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
my experience has mirrored crracer, I was going to buy some of the "new and improved" remington at Wal-mart today to try it, but they were out so federal 550 and automatch got my money.

davevabch
April 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
If you had 25% failures then it is your gun not the ammo. I have a Ruger 22srp and have shot about a thousand rds. of Goldens with about a 1% failure. My Bersa has less failures with Goldens than it does with CCi minimags.

hang fire
April 9, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good, bad, or indifferent, we have several MM of the Rem bulk stored.

Win73
April 9, 2012, 11:19 PM
Well, they don't function on average as well as the Federal bulk pack ammo. But I find the Remingtons fairly accurate overall, so I still shoot them and put up with all the duds.
I keep reading about all the "duds" in Remington Golden Bullets. But I have shot them for many years and I just don't get very many duds. In fact I would rate them very reliable in that respect. I have bought them because most of the time they were the cheapest I could find. As for as accuracy, I have never compared them to any other brand but I always hit what I shoot at with them. I use them in my Marlin 39A, my Ruger 10/22, my Ruger MK II, my Ruger Single Six, and my S & W Model 317. I use them for plinking and hunting.

x_wrench
April 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
i have not had much trouble with semi current rimfire ammo. no matter who made it. the ones i have had problems with can be age related. all of it was over 20 years old. and "stored" by shoving them under a bed. i have an occasional misfire from ammo once in a while. but it is rare that it can not be fed back into a gun, rotating it 100 degrees so the fireing pin hits in a different spot. 99% of the time after doing that they fire just fine. which would indicate a priming problem. either not enough mixture to fill all the way around, or it settles out of a spot before it sets up.

davevabch
April 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
I contacted Remington today. They said they have pulling off the shelves the 550 bulk pak. They now sell the "New and Improved" ammo with the new box. They said they completely revamped the manufacturing process, and using a new mix of powder and primers. I have shot the new and they work great. Especially in my Bersa, which normally requires premium ammo only. The new ammo from Remington cycles the Bersa better than the mini mags and seems more accurate as well. And obviously the price is so much less.

regards
Dave@vabch

Zach S
April 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Remington bulk .22 seems to be a niche ammo. Its works well in a few guns, but most dont like it. It works best in my GSG-5, but Federal works better and is consistent from one lot to the next with only a few, if any, that need a second hit. Four out of five of my other .22s don't like it. I guess I should try the GBs in my daughter's cricket.

I bought a buncha of the GBs that were on sale when I built a rimfire 1911, and didn't have any issues with them, and during the course of shooting that lot I built an AR22 as well. I didn't understand the "GBs are crap" comments until I got more, from a different lot... I've only bought federal since, and haven't had issues.

They can say improved all they want. IMO it was chicken crap, sold as chicken salad. It might be a better chicken salad now, but that doesn't change the fact that its still made out of chicken crap... JMO.

bobalou
April 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
I agree with davevabch. I purchased and fired about a hundred rounds without any failure. It's the first bulk I've ever ran through my Beretta Bobcat that didn't choke somewhere. CCI mini mag and stingers were the only ammo that I trusted 100%. Refer to You tube review by kickedintheballs on the Beretta Bocat 21A reliability report. These guns are very finicky about what they digest. Mine was a pig with "NEW AND IMPROVED". This is a break through in bulk ammo ( cautiously optimistic). From my experience today, I am still amazed at the consistency of the feeding and firing of this ammo. Based on just today only, I would say it is as good as CCI or maybe better.

22-rimfire
April 12, 2012, 07:39 PM
I contacted Remington today. They said they have pulling off the shelves the 550 bulk pak. They now sell the "New and Improved" ammo with the new box. They said they completely revamped the manufacturing process, and using a new mix of powder and primers.

Three cheers for Remington. It is about time! Remington 22 ammo used to be my favorite 22LR ammo until the last 10 years. But I still have some left over from the 1980's and you get an occasional FTF (less than 1%). The 2000+ ammo has more failures, but it shoots reasonably accurately for high speed and I shoot it commonly. What gun you are shooting it with seems to make a difference too. It is not always the ammo.

Vern Humphrey
April 12, 2012, 07:53 PM
This is interesting -- I have quit buying Remington ammo. All Remington ammo. I figure it their quality control is so poor in .22s, I certainly don't want to risk finding out their centerfire ammo is just as bad on a hunt that cost me $1,000.

But I will try the 225 bulk packs and see how they do.

Kiln
April 13, 2012, 03:45 AM
I swore off Remington rimfire ammo long ago. I don't know about the new stuff they're putting out but their bulk 550 packs are total garbage. Won't cycle reliably in anything I've owned semi auto wise.

mxl
April 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Remington has obviously made a bad name for the company so far as .22 bulk ammo is concerned. I've had my own experiences with Golden FT feed, ruptured cases, etc. I say it's about time they made some changes and I'm glad to see it and will try some. However most of my .22s function just fine with Federal bulk at less expense. So, until Remington becomes price competitive I wiil use it only in those guns that won't function reliably with the other brands.

bobalou
April 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GBKL6Mbqvo&feature=youtube_gdata_player http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=650065 apology, this is the correct linked on youtube the other reference is wrong. excellent review on 22 lr ammo with beretta 21 a.

Ignition Override
April 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
The older Rem. ammo causes so many gas blowbacks in the Savage .22 (1940s vintage), that I stopped using both, about two years ago.

One of every two rounds blows gas into the shooting glasses, and "ThunderSlug" is even worse.
On the other hand, Federal and Winchester never do this. A few F. and W. have a ftf on the first pin strike, but do well on the second.

Kiln
April 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Remington has obviously made a bad name for the company so far as .22 bulk ammo is concerned. I've had my own experiences with Golden FT feed, ruptured cases, etc. I say it's about time they made some changes and I'm glad to see it and will try some. However most of my .22s function just fine with Federal bulk at less expense. So, until Remington becomes price competitive I wiil use it only in those guns that won't function reliably with the other brands.
Yeah I had tiny pieces of brass lodged in my arm for days from a ruptured Remington case. Interesting to know I'm not the only one who had this problem.

Cokeman
April 14, 2012, 03:20 AM
If Rem stopped producing Goldens, I'd be pissed.

skoro
April 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
I suppose the only thing it could be is "improved".

Hard to imagine that it could ever get worse.

The GBs gave me more ammo related failures than anything I ever used. And this was in Remington 22s. Besides, it was the filthiest stuff ever. Having said that, my experience with Remington's 22wmr ammo has been good. I hope they've finally gotten their act together with the 22lr ammo, because it was awful for years.

Vern Humphrey
April 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
If Rem stopped producing Goldens, I'd be pissed.
If Rem started producing Goldens that would go off every time the hammer falls, I'd be ecstatic.
I suppose the only thing it could be is "improved".
It would take more talent than Remington has to produce a worse .22 shell!

Schuey2002
April 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Anyone have a pic of what the box of this 'new and improved' Remington .22LR ammo looks like?

Cokeman
April 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
If Rem started producing Goldens that would go off every time the hammer falls, I'd be ecstatic.

I've never had one not work on the first fall of the hammer, ever. What's wrong with your gun?

Vern Humphrey
April 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
I've never had one not work on the first fall of the hammer, ever. What's wrong with your gun?
I have high dud rates in the following guns:

Ruger MKII
Colt Officer's Model Target
Colt Woodsman
Colt Service Ace Conversion Kit
Ciener Conversion Kit
Stevens #26 Crackshot
Stevens Favorite
Marlin 15Y
Springfield M1911 MK II
Remington M541X
Kimber M82

They can't all be wrong!!

Nor can the dozens and dozens of people who have posted on this echo with similar experiences.

April 14, 2012, 08:44 PM
Nor can the dozens and dozens of people who have posted on this echo with similar experiences.

That experience is with the old stuff ... this thread is about the new stuff. What experience do you have with the "new and improved" product?

Cokeman
April 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Then why are they all working in my guns?

Vern Humphrey
April 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
That experience is with the old stuff ... this thread is about the new stuff. What experience do you have with the "new and improved" product?
I was speaking about the old stuff. Why would think I was not?

CZguy
April 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Then why are they all working in my guns?

And that.........is the definition of a conspiracy theory. :D

Cokeman
April 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
Awesome! How come? :confused::)

Ignition Override
April 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
1858:
Just curious whether you or a family member are employed by Remington.

As for the gas blowbacks on almost every other rd. in my old Savage, it might be a function of that specific rifle.
If the new product avoids this, as is the situation with both Federal and Win., I would be more willing to help support the people not too far from here, in and near Lonoke AR.

LongTimeGone
April 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
coalman said.
CCI bulk has been the best

I have never seen bulk CCI, only 100 packs and 5 packs in a brick.
Is there a source for loose box bulk for CCI?

jcwit
April 15, 2012, 10:32 PM
CCI Bulk? Please note.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/cci-ar-tactical-rimfire-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-plated-round-nose-375rd.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/cci-blazer-ammmo-22lr-40gr-lead-round-nose-525rd.html

BoilerUP
April 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
Dick's Sporting Goods has 500ct CCI SV bricks for $25.

LongTimeGone
April 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks jcwit.
I have been using SV in my M41 and 452s and it isn't bulked apparently.
But the tactical should be gtg for my buckmark, sp101, Henry and P22.
I have never seen that in my local stores.
I will order some today.

Biolerup, that is what I have been buying but not from Dick's as I don't have one local.
But CTD has it for the same and if I order a bunch, shipping isn't too bad.

DeepSouth
April 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
I always just bought whatever bulk 22 was cheapest. Mainly because my oldest son shot 90+% of our 22 ammo. One day he walked in looking quiet agervated and just said "would you PLEASE quit buying those Remington 22s". I just laughed a little and said "Sure, but the only time I buy them is when Walmart is out of everything else." (because I have issues whit them to and their higher) he then told me if they were out of everything else just to wait and buy other stuff later.

I haven't bought any since.

Excuse typos. Posted via iPhone.

tech30528
April 17, 2012, 02:57 PM
coalman said.

I have never seen bulk CCI, only 100 packs and 5 packs in a brick.
Is there a source for loose box bulk for CCI?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=654772

April 19, 2012, 11:41 PM
Here's the NEW AND IMPROVED! Golden Bullet in the new 225 round box.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/factory_ammunition/remington/rimfire/photos/rem_gb_new.jpg

03Shadowbob
April 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
My Marlin Model 60s eat the GB ammo like candy. Never had one jam in it unless it was a FTF. I've been lucky that all my 22s shoot every brand of ammo I buy.

bannockburn
April 20, 2012, 07:29 AM
Went out yesterday looking for some of this "New and Improved" Remington ammo but still haven't come across any. The older bulk packs are still on the shelves at a couple of places I went to. Some other places didn't have any at all; just various Remington rimfire ammo in the 50 count boxes.

Vern Humphrey
April 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
I bought a pack and fired about 50 rounds so far in my Colt Woodsman. If all goes well, I'll buy another box, and so on. But I won't trust until I've gone a thousand rounds without a misfire.

April 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
Went out yesterday looking for some of this "New and Improved" Remington ammo but still haven't come across any.

Did you try Walmart?

Remllez
April 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
I gave up on Remington Golden bulk packs almost 10 years ago because it was inconsistent, misfired/misfed frequently and seemed dirtier than most other .22's available for comparable prices at the time.

I have tested many brand/weight combination bulk packs in my time and have settled on just 2 brands for all my rimfire shooting. Speer/CCI---Blazer and Federal Auto Match. Both are standard velocity and both are lead slugs.

I own and shoot all manner of .22 pistols, rifles, and revolvers from the 1930's to present day models. These 2 "value priced" bulk pack .22 rounds are superior in performance, accuracy and dependability across my collection of rim fires that I rarely if ever use any other brand.

I do freely admit I am not a competitor nor do I shoot on any "for score leagues" anymore. Having said that doesn't mean that I settle for mediocre equipment or ammunition when I shoot. I have learned through years of experience to separate slicky boy marketing from real world experience

This post is just my opinion and take these words for what they're worth, your mileage may vary as they say!

7.62 Nato
April 22, 2012, 02:19 AM
I had so many problems with Rem. Golden bullets in even bolt actions, and revolvers that I swore off of them. I don't know what it would take to get me to try them again, but I haven't seen it yet.

Cokeman
April 22, 2012, 02:59 AM
Good. More for me.

Vern Humphrey
April 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
I had so many problems with Rem. Golden bullets in even bolt actions, and revolvers that I swore off of them. I don't know what it would take to get me to try them again, but I haven't seen it yet.
Same here -- althought I bought a 225-round pack of the new stuff, and I'll see how it shoots.

As it stands, however, it will be a looooong time before I trust any Remington ammunition. I shudder to think about driving all the way to Colorado, paying for tags and all the related expenses, just to hear a "click" when I have a big bull elk in my sights.

Vern Humphrey
April 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Update -- I just had two misfires in 20 rounds. Out of the total I've fired so far, that's about a 4% misfire rate -- unacceptable.

Cokeman
April 22, 2012, 08:32 PM
What are you shooting them out of?

Vern Humphrey
April 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
Colt Service Ace Conversion kit and Stevens Favorite, so far. Both guns are highly reliable with good ammo. I have another nine .22 rifles and handguns, and will shoot them all before I finish this 225 round box.

Cokeman
April 22, 2012, 08:48 PM
I'm shocked that you are having such bad luck. My P22 loves them as much as my other 22s and everyone says the P22 is a real POS. Maybe I'll start having problems now. Hopefully not.

Vern Humphrey
April 22, 2012, 09:05 PM
Don't let me put the hex on you!

theCan
April 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
I bought a pack and fired about 50 rounds so far in my Colt Woodsman. If all goes well, I'll buy another box, and so on. But I won't trust until I've gone a thousand rounds without a misfire.

Asking for less than 0.1 percent failure rate, even out of centerfire ammunition is a little extreme sir. Roll your expectations back a little bit and you'll be more than happy.

Update -- I just had two misfires in 20 rounds. Out of the total I've fired so far, that's about a 4% misfire rate -- unacceptable.

You might want to work on your math too. ;)

Cokeman
April 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Don't let me put the hex on you!

Too late. ;)

Cokeman
April 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
You might want to work on your math too. ;)

Re-read it.

Vern Humphrey
April 22, 2012, 10:35 PM
Asking for less than 0.1 percent failure rate, even out of centerfire ammunition is a little extreme sir. Roll your expectations back a little bit and you'll be more than happy.
You're kidding me, right?

Do you know what the military standards are for ammunition reliability? A 0.1 percent failure rate is definitely cause for rejection of an entire lot!

theCan
April 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
You're kidding me, right?

Do you know what the military standards are for ammunition reliability? A 0.1 percent failure rate is definitely cause for rejection of an entire lot!
No. I'm not kidding. I think you are sorely mistaken about real world failure rates. An engineer who can come up with a formula for 99.9% reliability will have a job for life, in any factory of his choosing.

Even NASA engineers, sending men into space on rockets with over 1 million pieces admit to a certain amount of failures. Perfection is impossible my friend. Get used to it.

Edit: I could be wrong... I looked for specs for ammo reliability, but didn't find any. I doubt they'd reject .1% failure though.

Tiberius67
April 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
Remington Cyclone and Thunderbolt ammo cured me permanently from ever buying Rem rimfire of any sort ever again...Federal for plinking with my run of the mill .22s, but my BL-22 gets stingers exclusively.

Tried Thunderbolts and it leaded up my 10/22 so bad the bullets were tumbling at 25 yards before I'd even gone through a box of 50. I like thier LRN standard velocity target loads and the rebranded Ely stuff but for the most part I avoid Remington ammo.

Supposedly Remington had finally decided to do something about the problems with thier RF ammo, and were preparing to implement a program to revamp the production lines, but the first thing the new leadership installed by Cerebrus did was kill the program.

davevabch
April 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
440 rds of Remington Golds with zero malfunctions. However, I was shooting a Ruger SR22 which eats any ammo I have put through it. Now close to 4000 rds with less than 5 failures. Yes, some of the failures were with the old Rem golds sticking. But like I said the last two boxs of the new Rem shot great and very equal to cci mini's mags in accuracy. My Bersa will cycle the Rems better than CCI. The Ruger is the best 22.cal I have shot. Remarkable how it will eat any ammo.

April 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
I shot 100 rounds of the "New and Improved" GBs yesterday using a Kimber .22LR conversion barrel/slide on a Kimber frame and didn't have any issues. The GBs were accurate (brake rotor at 50 yards) and 100% reliable. I have five magazines for steel matches and put an X on one of them due to unreliable peformance with CCI ammunition at a match a few months back. Oddly enough, even the X magazine worked fine with the GBs.

Colt Service Ace Conversion kit and Stevens Favorite, so far. Both guns are highly reliable with good ammo.

So did you have one misfire in each or two in one?

April 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
I bought a pack and fired about 50 rounds so far in my Colt Woodsman.

50 + 20 = 70

(2/70)*100 = 2.9% (where do you get 4% from)

Regardless, I'd bet a box of "new and improved" GB that your Colt and/or Stevens are the issue. Go shoot another 100 through the Woodsman and report back. I'll even pay for the ammo.

Vern Humphrey
April 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Miscounted. >blush< I also misremembered -- I kept track of the number of rounds fired and the gun, and when I looked again, I saw the first gun I used it in was my Colt Woodsman, not my Service Ace Conversion Kit.

In any case, I have two cases (5,000 rounds apiece) of Winchester Wildcat from the 1990s squirreled away. I have run through literally dozens of cases of Winchester Wildcat without any misfires.

And, having worked with Army procurement and specificially with ammo and weapons, I guarantee that a misfire rate of 0.1% would be grounds for rejection of any lot of ammo.

theCan
April 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
And, having worked with Army procurement and specificially with ammo and weapons, I guarantee that a misfire rate of 0.1% would be grounds for rejection of any lot of ammo.

Interesting. Generally failure rates that low are to be lauded.

April 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
Vern Humphrey,
I suggest that you call CS and send those two rounds that misfired back to the Remington plant at Lonoke so that they can be inspected. I'm sure that you'll get a free box of GBs for your efforts.

April 23, 2012, 06:24 PM

The SAAMI rimfire PASS spec is <= 3 misfires/500 rounds = 0.6%. I can assure you that Remington holds their rimfire product to a much higher standard than the SAAMI spec.

Vern Humphrey
April 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
The SAAMI rimfire PASS spec is <= 3 misfires/500 rounds = 0.6%. I can assure you that Remington holds their rimfire product to a much higher standard than the SAAMI spec.
In recent lots of Remington bulk, I've gotten much higher rates of misfires -- approaching 5%.

And while SAAMI may accept 0.6%, I don't. And SAAMI cannot force me to buy ammo from anyone who doesn't meet my standards.

bobalou
April 23, 2012, 08:19 PM
New and improved best kept secret out there. Plenty at most walmart.

EddieNFL
April 23, 2012, 08:57 PM

Must have changed the standard since I got out of the business.

22-rimfire
April 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
But the military does not buy much 22 rimfire ammo. Centerfire has always had a lower failure rate.

Remingon's failure rate was about 7% for thunderbolts and golden bullet bulk packs prior to this new and improved gb.

I have not shot any of the new and improved, but give me some time and I will. I still have about 10 Remington bulk packs that I bought during the "2007/2008 shortage".

theCan
April 23, 2012, 09:05 PM

I looked at SAAMI and didn't see anything for rimfire....

Edit: Nevermind, i was on the wrong page.

Vern Humphrey
April 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
Must have changed the standard since I got out of the business.
Nope -- the military will not accept a 0.1% failure rate in rimfire ammo.

Win73
April 23, 2012, 10:48 PM

2 in 20 is exactly a 10% misfire rate.

bobalou
April 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
Depends on the condition of the gun. What kind of gun? I had 0 failures out of 100 rounds, My gun is functioning properly though.

Vern Humphrey
April 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
2 in 20 is exactly a 10% misfire rate
I am including the earlier rounds fired in a diffent gun.

This was my Stevens Favorite -- a rifle that is highly reliable with quality ammo.

bobalou
April 23, 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm assuming they were the new and improved?

bobalou
April 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
If they maintain quality control they'll put a hurtin on cci mini mag.

theCan
April 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
Depends on the condition of the gun. What kind of gun? I had 0 failures out of 100 rounds, My gun is functioning properly though.

This. That's why I'm having trouble believing that the Military is rejecting a .1% failure rate in rimfire. I'd be surprised if their used and abused trainers come anywhere near that. Particularly when they might spend a whole day shooting without a thorough cleaning.

davevabch
April 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
New and improved best kept secret out there. Plenty at most walmart.

Man you are right on! Great Ammo!

bobalou
April 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
From my experience, shooting more than 50 rounds without at least a minimal cleaning, increases failure in any round exponentionally. That being said, and that being my routine, i've never had bulk ammo that was a 100% reliable until this new & improved came along. CCI MINI MAG 100%, sold in 100 rd plastic containers. Not cheap either, more expensive to produce because it is made with a lot more attention t. QC. Just go buy a box, this subject's not worth any more more words.

moewadle
April 24, 2012, 10:25 AM
is an important factor where we all differ a bit...but I am in a situation where paying, at the local stores, $35 for 500 CCI Mini-Mag or $20-21 per 500 or for other bulk rate ammo is a no-decision....I buy the Mini-Mags. However, I have found a lot of the Federal very good. They have a 325 round bulk box of something called Match Performance or some such name that is good and the Fed Champion is very good also...Round Nose bare lead. I do not buy Rem rimfire period, end of story.

bobalou
April 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
I command you to buy a box of Remington "New and Improved".

bobalou
April 24, 2012, 10:41 AM
are you afraid to try something new?

moewadle
April 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
If you are asking me that question it has to do with my thinking is this: I do not fix what is not broke. I found Remington rimfire to be bad a long time ago so why should I now reward them. I have ammo that works well so I will reward the companies that have always pleased me. I am loyal to good products. Never afraid to try something "new" if it makes sense.

bobalou
April 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
God, get the banjo out.

LongTimeGone
April 25, 2012, 10:31 AM
They have a 325 round bulk box of something called Match Performance or some such name

I buy Federal AutoMatch in 325 boxes from wallies.
My Buckmark really likes it. No FTF from 4 boxes so far.

But I also buy Rem 525s for the grandkids to use in a CZ Scout and Henry GB.
I just tell them to wait a few seconds and then cycle a new round for any FTFs of which there are a few.:D
I'll look for the new stuff when I run out.

April 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
And while SAAMI may accept 0.6%, I don't.

And nor does Remington. The accepted failure rate for the "new and improved" .22LR is zero so that's why I find it really surprising that you experienced two failures.

theCan
April 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
And nor does Remington. The accepted failure rate for the "new and improved" .22LR is zero so that's why I find it really surprising that you experienced two failures.

:rolleyes: Zero. Bullets are designed by engineers, built using machines that themselves have tolerances and failure rates. If the primer you use has a .001% failure rate, and .001% of brass cases are over spec diameter, and ....

You see where I'm going with this? Zero. Is. Not. Possible.

April 25, 2012, 07:49 PM
Zero. Is. Not. Possible.

I didn't state that 100% of the ammunition made will have a zero failure to fire rate as it comes off the bullet assembly line. I simply stated that the ACCEPTED failure rate is ZERO. In other words, if it doesn't pass testing it won't ship i.e. it's scrap. As always, testing is a statistical method so there's always a chance that defects can leave the plant but the chances are very, very low for the "new and improved".

22-rimfire
April 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
If N&I has a 1% failure rate, I would be perfectly satisfied choosing Remington. I don't expect any 22 rimfire ammo to be perfect. A 1% failure rate could very easily be caused by your firearm anyway.

tech30528
April 25, 2012, 10:25 PM
There has been so much talk about these rounds I decided to check them out. Just got done weighing them, my box of 225 actually had 223, the absolute widest spread I have seen of any ammo I have ever tested. They ranged from 48.4 grains up to 50.2 grains. 19 different piles. The widest spread I've ever seen for any CCI stuff was a batch of Stinger hollowpoints that ranged a full grain. Aguila stuff can range a little wider, maybe 1.3 grains for the widest batch I've seen. This does not bode well for this weekend's testing. I'm interested in seeing the overall vertical stringing from one end to the other.

April 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
tech30528,
I was able to hit a 12" brake rotor at 50 yards at will using the Kimber conversion kit shown below and the new stuff. I shot 100 rounds without any issues and will shoot the remaining 123 or possibly 125 this weekend. If every one goes bang and flattens itself on the brake rotor then I'm happy, then again, I don't shoot small bore matches ... if I did, I'd be shooting Eley.

http://thr.mcmxi.org/pistols/kimber/teii/photos/teii_22lr_01.jpg

April 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
I just counted the remaining rounds in my box and there are 125 ... I was hoping for 127.

Cokeman
April 26, 2012, 01:02 AM
I buy Federal AutoMatch in 325 boxes from wallies.
My Buckmark really likes it. No FTF from 4 boxes so far.

But I also buy Rem 525s for the grandkids to use in a CZ Scout and Henry GB.
I just tell them to wait a few seconds and then cycle a new round for any FTFs of which there are a few.:D
I'll look for the new stuff when I run out.

They work perfectly in my CZ and Henry. :confused:

There must be more than one factory making them and the one near the rest of you guys sucks.

JTHunter
April 26, 2012, 01:10 AM
For the past year, I've been comparing prices of certain ammo at 2 LGS's, Walmart, and the local gunshow. With summer coming, my mother takes potshots at the "stinkpot" turtles and muskrats on her lake, so I went to Walmart to get her a bos of the .22 bulk.
Up until recently, the store I normally go to has had a fair supply of all 3 bulkpaks (Win. 555, Fed. 550, & Rem. 550), but not this time (4/23/12). All bulks were gone!
Today, I stopped at the other superstore in the area and got a box of the Winchester's (at bloody $22!!!) and was told that they will no longer be carrying the other two. Naturally, the Fed. and Rem. had been cheaper, $19 & $20 respectively.
Go figure!

zxcvbob
April 26, 2012, 01:21 AM
I bought Remington bulk pack GB's about 4 or 5 years ago and had no problems at all with them in my Ruger Mk2, except they were not accurate enough for target shooting. Maybe it was I was a lousy shot, but the CCI Mini-Mags had a lot less flyers.

OTOH, Remington target ammo in the yellow plastic boxes had about a 10% misfire rate. It is the worst ammo I've ever tried to use. I still have a box of it somewhere :spit:

Lately I've been shooting Aguila standard velocity, in the golden yellow paper boxes. I bought a case of it a couple of years ago. I've had one misfire out of several thousand rounds.

theCan
April 26, 2012, 02:54 AM
If N&I has a 1% failure rate, I would be perfectly satisfied choosing Remington. I don't expect any 22 rimfire ammo to be perfect. A 1% failure rate could very easily be caused by your firearm anyway.

Exactly my point earlier.

tech30528
April 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
Well, here's the breakdown on those by weight.

48.4 1
48.5 2
48.6 11
48.7 3
48.8 3
48.9 30
49.0 18
49.1 13
49.2 16
49.3 26
49.4 11
49.5 18
49.6 27
49.7 17
49.8 11
49.9 10
50.0 4
50.1 2
50.2 1

It's like they just stood a bunch of cases on a table and dumped a handful of powder on them. I could understand the majority being somewhere in the middle of the range and the numbers tapering off toward both ends but it's like they weren't even trying. I would pass it off as just general use ammo for short distance plinking, but the adverts on the box are pretty bold. If this is "greater accuracy" they must have truly sucked before. And they are giving ballistic data on the box for 100 yards, so it's not as though they are intending them to be close up plinkers. Well we'll see what this weekend brings, but so far I'm seriously underwhelmed.

April 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Just got done weighing them, my box of 225 actually had 223

You list 224 weights in your post above.

tech30528
April 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
(adds them up again)

Yup. 224. ;)

theCan
April 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=163512&d=1335540991

22-rimfire
April 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
I bought a couple 225 round boxes. Will try them out next time I go shooting.

vaeevictiss
April 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think i could use anything other than cci standards, accurate and subsonic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bobalou
May 16, 2012, 07:21 PM
I didn't find more than 2 hundredths of a gram difference between each round.

theCan
May 16, 2012, 08:47 PM

Interesting... How accurate is your scale?

danez71
May 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Interesting... How accurate is your scale?

And when was the last time it was caibrated by some one/some place thats certified to calibrate such equipment?

bobalou
May 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
Today, and checked with a 100 gram weight. I use it for gold and silver. it goes down to hundredths of a gram. it will weigh in grains but will not break down below 1 grain. I'm sure it's not as accurate as what you are using.

bobalou
May 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
.01 g = .154 gr, I don't weigh gun powder, l know that cci's are not all the same weight either, but less variance. Completely ignorant on this. Apparently it's smaller values are important otherwise they would not use the smaller unit of measure .

Vern Humphrey
May 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
(My emphasis)

There are 15.4 grains to a gram.

bobalou
May 16, 2012, 11:21 PM
So maybe the variance isn't that big of a deal, with this particular round. I know from real world experience that all of these rounds go bang
every time, ( with me ).

lono
May 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
I have had the most luck with Winchester white box bulk 22 ammo, followed by Remington, Federal and Blazer.

bobalou
May 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
I'm hoping they turn out to be as good as I think they are. Time will tell.

StrutStopper
May 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
I tried that box of new and improved remingtons after i finished up my federals. I didn't notice any difference. My hands were covered in powder/metalic flakes from handling the ammo and the bullets seemed to be loose in the case. They all did go bang though and the accuracy was pretty decent for bulk ammo. In a pinch, I'd use them.

bobalou
May 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
The bullets wiggle, but other than that, I believe what davevabch said "I contacted Remington today. They said they have pulling off the shelves the 550 bulk pak. They now sell the "New and Improved" ammo with the new box. They said they completely revamped the manufacturing process, and using a new mix of powder and primers." I wouldn't be surprised if they're using Eley primers as someone suggested. Now if they can stop the little play in the bullet which CCI doesn't have they will be the first bulk rate ammo with the quality of CCI. CCI bullet does not wiggle. All bulk ammo does wiggle probably because they through them in a pile together. The wiggle did cause me to have one failure to feed out of about 80 rounds. It just stuck in the top of the mag, maybe because the bullet wiggled or wedged. They can fix that. Also, CCI has variance in their weights just like Remington, but it isn't quite as much. I believe the New and Improved is in a class by itself, being bulk priced ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Improved Remington .22 'bulk' ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!