Need Help with an Old 870

PDA

TrapperReady
January 29, 2003, 11:49 PM
I was out shopping tonight, and found what looks to be a very nice condition Remington 870. It's an older 20ga model with 2 3/4" chambers, a 28" barrel and fixed choke (full). It also has the "corn cob" style of forearm.

Anyway, I messed around with it a little and really liked the weight and how it swung. It would make a nice little addition and would be used pretty frequently for upland game.

The thing is, I know very little about 870's, expecially the older models. Is there a specific check-out routine I should perform to veryify that the internals are in as good shape as the exterior? Also, what is the going price for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help with an Old 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
January 30, 2003, 07:06 AM
In the floating thread at the top of this forum, TR, there's a link to a TFL thread on buying used pumpguns.

Best guess, in close to new condition this should go for around $300-400.

HTH....

TrapperReady
January 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
Well, I went back and checked. The gun looked to be in extremely good shape, aside from a couple small dings on the stock (to which I'll add my own shortly enough), so it followed me home.

The serial number is in the 526xxxX range (note: the final letter of the serial number is actually a 'X'). Can you give me an idea of when this may have been produced?

Again, thanks!

BTW, I'm going to be using it on some game-farm pheasants this weekend. We'll see how it works!

Dave McCracken
January 30, 2003, 05:37 PM
TR, 870s are dated by a barrel code lettered near the breech. And, the codes are confusing as well as incomplete. Since 870s last nigh forever, a small matter.

The X Suffix means it's a full sized frame, 20 gauge, 2 3/4" shells only. Same frame as the 12s. These are a little heavier than the later smaller 20 gauge frames, but you still will come in around 6 3/4 lbs, with no rib.

The X series was discontinued around 1972, I think.

It sounds like a good pheasant gun, let them get out a bit to get that full pattern open. 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot are a good game farm pheasant whacker.

Enjoy...

TrapperReady
January 30, 2003, 06:01 PM
I'm quite used to letting the birds get up and out a little bit. I usually end up "batting cleanup" for several of the guys I hunt with, so I usually use tighter chokes and an ouce of #6s.

I can't believe how smooth the action is on this thing. It's easily as good as my Model 12, although the trigger is a little heavier.

Now if I can only convince my wife to take off work early on Friday, so that I can get in some 5-stand before the weekend. Hmmm... I'll have to work on that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help with an Old 870" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!