Does your gun club allow booze?

PDA

Swing
March 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
My gun cub doesn't allow any alcohol on the premises for liability reasons. In talking with some other folks, I've found that some clubs allow it and even use its sales for keeping up the grounds.

So, I am just curious, does your gun club or range allow booze on the grounds? If so, how do they police who can imbibe?

Personally, I enjoy a good drink, but never at the gun club or when operating firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your gun club allow booze?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Konstantin835
March 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
The club I go to does, they even have it in the vending machine I think. I've always thought that was a terrible idea but I've never seen someone shoot after drinking. The only time I've seen people drinking was after they were done shooting or just sitting around talking.

InfamousLegend
March 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
I will never fire weapons with people that I do not explicitly trust while they are drunk and I have to drink with them enough times to understand how alcohol affects their judgement. I have been around several people that would get very angry while drunk and fortunately no firearms were involved and that is why I feel the way I do. Also no hard alcohol, just beer. That said I wouldn't go to a range where alcohol was served as I don't know the other people and how alcohol affects them unless you were only allowed to drink after shooting.

Josh45
March 19, 2012, 06:20 PM
I like to have one or two with my buddies.

BUT NEVER WHEN THERE IS A FIREARM INVOLVED.

I don't belong to any gun clubs in particular but both ranges I do go to do not allow it.
Booze and firearms don't mix. It would be dangerous as it can and will impair your judgement. Not that you dont know that but Im just saying that it is kinda ridiculous for that other club you mention allows it to happen.

IANAL,

But they could get that range shut down because of that seeing as some people will take advantage of that. They should really think about re-doing that one.

Nushif
In the German gun club I learned shooting at we had an attached Biergarten. But then, someone of age 16 was also expected to show the restraint to not drink while or before shooting.

Most gun clubs around here don't actually have a "socializing" area as most shooters who join them go there without smiling, shoot their guns and manage not ever even cracking a grin, much less socializing. Makes me pretty uneasy if people aren't even willing to engage in minor socialities, but hey, it's a free country.

I'd say off the cuff it's a bad idea given the drinking culture, or lack thereof here.

RTR_RTR
If they did, I wouldn't be there. Firm rule - no guns and alcohol.

CoRoMo
March 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
They do not.

mbopp
March 19, 2012, 06:23 PM
When the clubhouse is open they serve alcohol. But one drink puts you off limits on all the ranges for the day.

Sauer Grapes
March 19, 2012, 06:25 PM
We have enough problems getting people to keep the muzzle pointed in the right direction! :eek:
Booze and guns, how stupid is that....:confused:

MJD
March 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
I have never seen a situation where firearms and hootch are a good mix.

It seems to me that, like most things, there is a time and place for alcohol. The best time for drinking is with your buddies after the guns are cooled off and put up.

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
Just a heads up, if this turns into another teetotaler vs. imbiber thread, it will be locked.

rugerman07
March 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
No, guns & booze is a bad idea.

Onward Allusion
March 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Good way to get kicked out quickly at mine.

Old krow
March 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
No they do not. I believe that it would get someone kicked out.

In the German gun club

I had a Col tell me once that "the Germans have been brewing beer since God was a Corporal." I don't know that I'd want to shoot and drink, but if I were back in Germany I'd shoot less.

Murphy4570
March 19, 2012, 07:04 PM
I honestly don't know.

Not the place I go to kick back some beers, anyways. Shooting beer cans, now that's another story!

Gtimothy
March 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Booze, Guns and "Hey, watch this!" - not a good combination!

floydster
March 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
We have drinks just at our meetings, never on the line or when there is a shoot.

Ryanxia
March 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
I misread that as gun range :D

My RANGE allows alcohol on the premises but not the consumption. Off topic but I already started writing a reply. :)

bigfatdave
March 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
yes, with the addendum that it is simply not addressed by the club's charter / rules

shooting while intoxicated would be frowned upon, however ... if you encountered anyone

doubleh
March 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
My club doesn't allow it and if they did I wouldn't be a member. I run into enough people at the range now that scare me when they are sober. I sure wouldn't want to be around them when drinking. In my book guns and hootch don't mix and I won't be around anyone that is mixing them.

That doesn't mean I am a teetotaler. I'm done for the day so I think I'll have a shot and relax for awhile, kick back and read a book.

gordy
March 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Our club put a ban on all alcohol. not allowed on the grounds at all, We had a bit of a problem with a member(no longer) sitting all day drinking and shooting.
I think there should be no alcohol and guns mixed ever. Just a bad think for the public to see or hear about.

Ramone
March 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
It is not specifically prohibited- however, I have seen members taken aside and spoken to about it. I haven't seen anyone take it poorly- which speaks more to our RO's dipolmatic ways than anything else.

Edited to add-

I remember, as a child, going to my grandfathers VFW range, which was downstairs from the bar... a fair bit of hard drinking went on there, and a few impromptu shooting matches/bets that were likely booze fueled. this would have been late '60s- early '70s.

Alec
March 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
When the clubhouse is open they serve alcohol. But one drink puts you off limits on all the ranges for the day.

IMO, the way it should be done. I have no problem with clubs that sell or allow alcohol, as long as drinking any amount disqualifies you from shooting.

scaatylobo
March 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
In the clubhouse only and no guns to be handled during or after the bar sign is kit - so to speak.

All members know that expulsion is what follows breaking the rules.

J_L_A
March 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
I am a member of 2 clubs and neither one allows it. I can't believe that it would be.

john81276
March 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Our club allows adult beverages, but only at the clubhouse, and only AFTER shooting! It is explicitly stated in the range rules, and in the initial orientation that if you drink a drop, you are done shooting for the day.

So, technically, yes the club allows booze, but only as a part of the non-shooting social aspects of the club.

CHALK22
March 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have been to one sporting clays club which did allow it when you were through with your rounds for the day. First time I went, I did not know this. Second time My buddy and I took a couple with us for when were done. Lucky for us it was a beautiful Montana summer day, and with the Mission Mountains in the distance, the Shotguns LOCKED IN THE TRUCK, yes, we did have a beer. We earned it.

My local club, however, does not. I don't think I would shoot with or shoot around booze.

Odd Job
March 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
We have a bar in the clubhouse, stocked with all sorts of ales, ciders and beers. Members shoot first, drink after. The danger isn't drinking and shooting, if anything it is drinking and then driving home from the range!

parsimonious_instead
March 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
My gun club has really only one rule - be safe. There are no rules against headshots or rapid fire. No ammo restrictions except no tracers, and that's only because of the risk of igniting the dense woods surrounding the range.
Alcohol is forbidden on the firing line, but one or twice in the three years I've been going there, I've only seen someone take a little nip of something was on a bitterly cold day after the guns were all put away.
With so few rules and a relaxed attitude about drinking you'd think there would be a patchwork of ancient spatters of dried blood, but the place has been free of gunshot injuries since it opened around the time of the Great Depression.
And this is a range that's all of about 20-30 mins from NYC! :)

chrome_austex
March 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
My at my large-ish local club range, its not forbidden. If you're not shooting, of course. Membership is also required to shoot, its gated, off the beaten trail, ....

I've yet to see anyone drink there, though. Not much reason to. Perhaps if you're RV camping overnight for a match, you'd have a beer...

oneounceload
March 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
As long as you are done shooting and your gun is put up - if you want to have a beer after and sit around solving all the world's problems, no biggie - just not before or during shooting

Tom609
March 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
No. It makes even less sense than drinking and driving.

FMF Doc
March 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
The sign on the door reads:

BOOZE OR BULLETS WELCOME...Just not BOTH

MARKMALL
March 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
My club dose allow it, but I have never seen any one drinking on the club grounds. Are bylaws state that if any alchohal is being consumed all ranges are closed!

Tinpig
March 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
My rifle range has no RSO and no rules concerning alcohol but safety is paramount and I've never seen or heard of anyone drinking there.
However, if a guy had a beer after putting away his guns on a hot summer evening, I don't think it would be a big deal.

The assumption is that members know how to act responsibly on their own, and they appear to do that.

Tinpig

Tim37
March 19, 2012, 11:30 PM
booze and bullets don't mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPvuPkjD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXUCzKdkhM

yeah im sure its a repost.

Swing
March 19, 2012, 11:34 PM
Ouch!

Sergei Mosin
March 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
I like beer. I like guns. But not in combination.

Swing
March 19, 2012, 11:55 PM
I like beer. I like guns. But not in combination.

Exactly. I love gin & tonic (with a twist) but never with guns. Ever.

fatcat4620
March 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
I am drinking a beer right now. I consider a perfect saturday going to shoot with buds and then heading to the pub to watch some football and bs about our targets. IN THAT ORDER!

NavyLCDR
March 20, 2012, 12:49 AM
Never mix alcohol with guns. It makes the alcohol taste like Hoppes...

BCRider
March 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
Some common sense goes a long way.

Both clubs I'm in have big meets where the booze shows up around mid afternoon and through the evening. It's well known and well announced that ONE SIP and you're done for the day.

Fourtunetly everyone understands this. And those that don't will soon have the riot act read to them if they try shooting after even one swallow of beer, wine or mixed hard drink.

whalerman
March 20, 2012, 12:59 AM
The posts all say we don't allow alcohol. But the poll says we do. Someone is lying. Actually, more than one is lying. Or, many vote but then run away. Hmmmmm.

chute2thrill
March 20, 2012, 01:17 AM
I dont belong to a club, but when I'm shooting with my buddies, the guns get cleaned and put away before the beer starts flowing.

iLikeOldgunsIlikeNewGuns
March 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
^chute that's a good way to do it.

russ69
March 20, 2012, 04:58 AM
The local trap club serves wine and beer. The only rule they have is no booze out on the fields. It's a public range/private club near a large city. As far as I know there have not been any problems. The culture has changed over the years, I never thought twice about having a hamburger and a beer then shooting a round of skeet. There is a difference between having a beer and having a six pack. Oh, by the way the drafts were about 10 ounces, just right with some food.

BigN
March 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Yes, but only after, not before shooting. Not sure how they keep track though.

makarovnik
March 20, 2012, 06:38 AM
They will kick you out if they even smell beer on your breath. As it should be.

bikerdoc
March 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
No bar, no alcohol on premise allowed.

Hunterdad
March 20, 2012, 07:16 AM
Im a member at 2 clubs and neither one of those allows booze while or before shooting. They don't mind if you have a couple beers after you shoot. Another club I frequent (I'm not a member) every Sunday for a trap league has a very nice bar. When people ask me how the club is, my respeonse is:
"It's a drinking club with a shooting problem".

Swing
March 20, 2012, 10:57 AM
"It's a drinking club with a shooting problem".

LOL!

Vector
March 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Reading these replies makes me wonder how many of you have been out hunting and drinking at the same time. For that matter, when a new person or people are introduced to the hunt(i.e. you have no clue how they handle booze), do you insist that they not drink while your regular buddies down a few?

I know there is a difference between total strangers drinking at a range/club, but the principle is still the same.

Jeff H
March 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
The Racquetball/gym I belong to serves alcohol and the gun club I belong to allows alcohol on the premises although only serves it after big events.

Going shooting is no different than going to the gym. You don't drink before you go, just afterwards if you want. We are all adults right?

gym
March 20, 2012, 11:51 AM
Bad idea, I would never be a member of one that did.

razorback2003
March 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
My club does not allow alcohol on the firing lines. You cannot drink before or while shooting. After is your own choice or away from the firing lines.

av8usn
March 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
Yes, ours does and it is strict on the where and when it may be used.

endebt
March 20, 2012, 06:44 PM
I own my club and there is no drinking and shooting. You come and shoot by invite only. All the guys and their wives know tHe rules. One time one of the guys brought a friend with him after he ask permission. When the guy got here he got out of his truck with a beer. Every one put there guns up they knew the shooting was over.. The guy that invited him ask him to leave i did't have to say anything . have a nice day.

Andela
March 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
I do not think so but there is always empty beer cans in the garbage can.

The Lone Haranguer
March 20, 2012, 07:25 PM
I have never heard or even thought of a gun club allowing alcohol on the premises. Even with a bar or lounge area separated from the firing range, it would be a liability nightmare.

chez323
March 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
The club I belong to has a bar and offers a very limited menu on certain nights, but if your planning on using any of the ranges than no drinking period. I joined for the ranges/shooting but about 1/2 of the club membership is just there to drink.

paintballdude902
March 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
been to several that allow it at club meetings and in the club room. but not prior or during firing

LeonCarr
March 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
Nope

bergmen
March 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
No alcohol allowed on the range at any time, with one exception. The monthly meetings have a BBQ and beer/wine but range closes to all before meeting starts. It's the way it should be.

All three of my kids are of drinking age. When we first started going out to shoot on BLM land I indicated no alcohol, not to even bring it along for after we were done. We would have a beer at home after everything is put away. My kids didn't have to be told that, but mentioning it in the manner that I did, made sure we were all on the same wavelength.

Dan

ny32182
March 23, 2012, 06:27 PM
My club allows alcohol in the clubhouse, after you are done shooting for the day. We consider our members to be adults.

Mixing up the aforementioned order of operations will make your somewhat expensive membership go bye-bye.

mcdonl
March 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
I no longer drink, but when I did it was a) an adventure and b) something I did when I did not have anything else to do.

I could not imagine needing/wanting to drink while at the range. But, our club does not allow it and no one goes and "hangs out" at the club unless it is a meeting, we go there to shoot, archery or fish....

armoredman
March 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
Our range has no clubhouse, no rules, (other than no explosives), and no RSO or any other type of monitoring personnel. I haven't yet seen anyone drinking on the range, but I know it happens, according to the cleanup guys who take out the trash every morning.
I cannot imagine going out to shoot after I've had a few, any more than I would drive after having a few. I made this poster up a few years ago, and though some hate it, I still post it.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Seetheconnection.jpg

Now, to address the OTHER side of the story, if you can firmly control on your range that anyone drinking or has been drinking is verboten, then have a club like a golf course, individuals are on the hook for what they do when they leave. Just poor practice to allow it on the line, ever.

mrvco
March 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
Only after the shooting is done and the guns are stowed.

I had enough of the booze+guns equation when I was a teenager... and consider myself lucky that all I have to show for it (positive or negative) are a few "boy were we lucky" stories.

357 Terms
March 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
I don't belong to a club.

I have a range set up in the back 8 at a friends farm.

The only time I recall mixing shooting and booze was when a friend brought a case of skunked Keystone light he left in his trunk for a while, we had 24 reactive targets we shot with all different kinds of rounds.

Fun.

mes227
March 24, 2012, 12:04 AM
Rifle range, no. Skeet club has a bar with wine and beer, but if you drink they won't let you back on the field.

hso
March 24, 2012, 03:09 AM
Gun ranges are not. not golf ranges and I've NEVER heard of a range that allowed alcohol.

drsfmd
March 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'm a member of 8 different clubs. 7 of the 8 ban alcohol from even being on the property. The 8th doesn't allow it when the range is open, but does imbibe in the clubhouse during the "off hours". I don't like being aroound the drunks, so I don't go for the social times... I would drop my membership entirely, but they have a great pheasant and trout stocking program that keeps me coming back.

bluetopper
March 25, 2012, 04:24 PM
Officially........no.

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
They sell it in the club house...

your not allowed to drink and shoot though

Patriotme
March 25, 2012, 09:36 PM
I don't want to see alcohol at my gun club.
Period.
Yes, most people would have the common sense not to drink before or during shooting.....but there's always that 5 - 10% that can't be trusted.

SEMNshooter
March 26, 2012, 01:46 AM
Where I am from (where I grew up), all the clubs have a bar and sell beer and food to raise funds. I also had my graduation party and wedding reception in their banquet hall. It is just the way it is. I can't remember a time when I have seen someone drinking beer and then go shoot (I started going there at a very early age -35 years ago- when my dad shot league trap). The hall (where the beer is sold) isn't open very often, probably only on league nights and at special occasions. It's called a club for a reason.

Dr_B
March 26, 2012, 03:27 AM
Mine doesn't. Alcohol and firearms do not mix. Just like alcohol and power tools or alcohol and driving.

oneounceload
March 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
However, if a guy had a beer after putting away his guns on a hot summer evening, I don't think it would be a big deal.

The assumption is that members know how to act responsibly on their own, and they appear to do that.

Exactly - one club in Reno actually has a full bar, deli and slots to play while waiting your turn on the trap line

Most outdoor shooting clubs while not posted, have the understanding you wait until you are finished shooting and then after, if you want a beer with your lunch, have at it - just make sure you are not going to be in a shootoff though!

supham
March 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, and I love it. I think its great to spend some time at the range and then hang out with my buddies having a few beers.

SimplyChad
March 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
Ours does but once you drink you cant go back on the range.

coloradokevin
March 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
The club I belong to doesn't really have a good socialization area (or clubhouse), so we pretty much just shoot, talk on the line, and leave. At least one nearby gun club allows alcohol, but only after the people are done shooting for the day. Personally, while I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, I don't really have a problem with that.

It isn't like they're bombed drunk and shooting, after all.

supham
March 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
We have all the biggies: Guns, Archery, Motor Sports, and a bar. The only thing we are missing is "make your own fireworks".

http://www.ocsclub.org/

rodinal220
March 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
My current club no.I have belonged to other clubs in the past in other states that had real nice club houses and game banquets that served drinks/beer in the club house only.Obviously they had rules about no booze while shooting or outside of the club house.Was nice to have a cold one after a few rounds of trap and skeet.

Redlg155
March 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
VFW + Gun Range= Bad idea.

BUCKrub91
March 26, 2012, 06:15 PM
Gun club serving alcohol isnt really a big deal... Its not like people arent drinking at home before they go to the gun club anyways... and if you think they don't you need a reality check

gamestalker
March 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
I will not allow myself to be in the company of anyone who is drinking and shooting. Where I live and shoot, it isn't at all unusual to see people with coolers of beer along with intoxicated individuals operating weapons. When I see such things taking place, I pack up and go find a new shooting spot for the day!

It's just simple math to know that eventually someone is going to get hurt, or worse!

armoredman
March 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
BUCKrub91, let me speak as a guy who ran both indoor and outdoor ranges years ago - I can smell it. If one member of a group coming to sign on to the line smelled like booze, nobody went on line. Period. That was company policy at both locations. Same with the smell of happy weed, no shooting on our line. I don't arrest, criticize, castigate or condemn, I just tell you that you must leave the premises, and please do not return smelling of alcohol or drugs. If you think I drink before I go to the range YOU need a reality check, nor does anyone I personally know, or anyone I have shot with for many years. If you do, that's your business. I will merely re-state that in my partially educated opinion that it is a bad idea to consume any mind altering substance prior to shooting, legal or otherwise.

BUCKrub91
March 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
If you think I drink before I go to the range YOU need a reality check, nor does anyone I personally know, or anyone I have shot with for many years. If you do, that's your business. I will merely re-state that in my partially educated opinion that it is a bad idea to consume any mind altering substance prior to shooting, legal or otherwise.

I never said EVERYBODY drinks before going to the range I didn't even say most people do but I know for a fact some do because I know people who do it all the time.

and the club that im a member to has no sign in sheet or anything.. most the time when I go there isnt even anybody there so somebody could easily stumble to the shooting booths completely plastered and nobody would know

Ledgehammer
March 27, 2012, 07:03 PM
My shotgun club used to. I always thought it odd to see some old timer with a bottle of wild turkey and his over under sitting at a table waiting his turn. I don't know what happened, but they changed the rule and subsequently lost a few members. I don't mind because I won't drink when I shoot. I want my practice to be of value. If I was just going out to bs with friends we can meet at a bar.

Ozark Guy
March 27, 2012, 07:19 PM
My club allows members to store their own alcohol in the bar area in the basement of the clubhouse. Only a few of us have the combination to the liquor cabinet and refrigerator. Strict policy of no shooting or handling firearms after drinking. Signs posted all over. Never had even the hint of an issue. I have seen guys forfeit shoot-offs after having one beer and then finding out they tied and could shoot off for winner.

We keep everything locked up until after a trap shoot. All shooters must be done before the drinking lamp is lit. You just have to have an understanding of no drinking and shooting. Period.

788Ham
March 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
The club I belong to does not have a place for drinking, nor allows it! I guess its alright for some to imbibe then go shoot, or however you do it. As InfamousLegend in post #3 stated, "No hard alcohol, just beer", as if this is a difference, alcohol is alcohol. I worked at a brewery for 37 years, plastered is plastered! YVMV

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Not in a club, but don't know of any that do.... I voted "(burb) huh?", though.

timhernandez
March 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Our club has a bar and grill in the clubhouse. It also has many, many signs that remind you that one drink = done shooting for the day.

Alcohol is not allowed anywhere but in the clubhouse.

After the SASS shoot this weekend, after the toys were away and the ranges cleaned up, we all went to the clubhouse and had a drink and talked about the day.....

and it was good.

Iggy
March 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm the owner and RO of this range, and the only member. NO alcohol is allowed if guns are present.
http://www.rockymountaintimberlands.com/images/3257.lg.jpg
There ain't a time when guns ain't present. BTW, it's 12 miles to the backstop.:evil:

Seanpcola
March 29, 2012, 09:18 PM
I set up a private range on some property that belongs to my boss. I've invited a total of 14 people to come shoot. The subject of alcohol has only come up one time and that was when a friend brought his dad out to shoot with us. We got everything out, and as we were setting up buddy's dad asked if I wanted a beer. I shut down the whole shoot till he left.

And no, I am NOT a teetotaler by any stretch. I can't imagine any sane person allowing alcohol anywhere near a shooting area. Maybe, just maybe, after everything was put away and stored. If I decide to have a beer night at home the wife is in charge of household security. :D

ol' scratch
March 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
No and I don't agree with booze and firearms. However, I wouldn't have passed up an opportunity like this one regardless of booze. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCKxh_wTD4

bucktail
March 30, 2012, 12:13 AM
Ours has a 3.2 liquor license. It's sold at meetings, events and during trap league. People will have a couple of beers before shooting trap, but I've never seen anyone overdo it. Never seen anyone drinking on the pistol or rifle range.

The War Wagon
March 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
I was a guest at a club on Monday here in the 'burbs of Pittsburgh (I won't name it), but they DID have a clubhouse with a bar/restaurant in it! :what: First one I'D ever seen! :o

Swing
March 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
However, I wouldn't have passed up an opportunity like this one regardless of booze. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCKxh_wTD4

LOL! Thanks for sharing. :)

drsfmd
March 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
People will have a couple of beers before shooting trap, but I've never seen anyone overdo it.

ONE is overdoing it! What you have just described is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen, and when it does, your club will be no more...

Shoot66
April 2, 2012, 08:42 AM
NO!

Hangingrock
April 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
I belonged at one time to (2) clubs that served alcohol. It was regulated with appropriate guidelines/rules for both organizations. One organization was sued in a lawsuit because the individual had been to the club and was served. The individual went on a drinking and killing spree later in the day. The lawyers for the insurance company advised the club to settle with the plaintiffs as the legal costs would have been more than the cost of the settlement. The Club which was sued has a 1200 senior membership limit and the most sought after for membership in the Western Pennsylvania area.

Dnaltrop
April 2, 2012, 04:16 PM
I would have serious issues if someone came into my little 10 lane range and sat in the lobby with a cooler...

I'd be less concerned with a larger club with a separate and distinct food-service area

Swing
April 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
The individual went on a drinking and killing spree later in the day.

Yikes!

qcsmitty
April 2, 2012, 08:31 PM
If they did, I wouldn't be there. Firm rule - no guns and alcohol.
Any other approach is insanely risky and irresponsible. I am stunned that any ranges or gun clubs allow this to happen. Shoot guns and then get drunk. THAT is a great idea.

thorazine
April 3, 2012, 07:52 PM
Does your gun club allow booze?

Bah what's the big deal?

We all know a couple drinks helps loosen you up and improves your accuracy. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Does your gun club allow booze?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!