What do I want after a 44 magnum?

PDA

Shrinkmd
March 20, 2012, 12:46 AM
I'm shooting my 629 better than ever, handling factory type 240gr loads going about 1250 or so from a 4" barrel. It is loads of fun, and I'm proud that I worked up to shooting them well.

I guess recoil is like spicy food, in that once you have something hotter, you realize what you previously ate wasn't all that spicy.

So, what next? A 460 or a 500 magnum? Or a Freedom Arms 454? This is purely for the fun of it, no hunting. The paper and the backstop don't care. But by those criteria, a 22lr is overkill. I don't want to beat up my poor 629 shooting any loads heavier than factory 240's...

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I want after a 44 magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owen Sparks
March 20, 2012, 01:07 AM
Ever thought of getting a .44 Magnum rifle? A 20 inch barrel will add 400 to 500 fps to your loads and put the .44 in another category of power. It is no trick to get 1,800 fps out of a 240 grain bullet and 1,500 with a 300 grain bullet with a Marlin 1894.

captain awesome
March 20, 2012, 02:32 AM
Well that is the question isn't it? If you have the dough, I personally would go after a freedom arms 454 Casull or 475 Linebaugh. Always wanted one, but it has never been practical for me to spend that much money.....or well, lets just say I like having more options and variations, and find it difficult to grow my firearm fund enough to make a purchase that large, I always end up breaking down and buying a less expensive model on my want list. Anyway....

I do enjoy my 500's (I have a John Ross performance center 5" 500 and a BFR 10" 500) Both are accurate and a hoot to shoot. They are in a whole different league than what you are used to, and you might find them too much making that big of a leap.

Haven't fired a 460 S&W, but that would have the versatility advantage of shooting mild to hot 45 colt, 454 Casull, and 460 S&W.

You might look into finding a Dan Wesson 445 Supermag, if you reload you can use the same dies and shell holder/shell plate as on your 44 mag, same bullets or heavier, ones. And brass is available from Starline. It packs quite a punch, as it can be loaded much hotter than your 629.

ArchAngelCD
March 20, 2012, 03:55 AM
If you're looking for "more" I would buy a .460 S&W Magnum. You can fire .45 Colt and 454 Casull ammo in it as well as .460 S&W Magnum ammo. (oh yeah, 45 Schofield ammo too)

memphisjim
March 20, 2012, 04:26 AM
sounds like you have a decent bit left in your 44mag get some hotter rounds and see what you think

Missionary
March 20, 2012, 05:58 AM
Good morning
You could move up the bullet weight scale to 280-300 grainers. The 44 Mag with those bullet weights becomes a whole different creature.
Sold off my last 44 Mag about 1980 when I decided to settle on 45 Colt & 41 mag. Happy I did. But if I only had 44 (actually a .43) Mag I would not consider another caliber unless it was a good step up like the .475 revolvers or the .50´s. It is plain silly to move to .45 unless it is to the 454 Casull or 460 S&W. Those would be meaninful powerfactor advancements.
There is also the 445 Supermags DW revolvers. I have a 414SM and that is a big step up from 41 mag as 445SM is above 44 mag. You could plan on 300 fps + with a 6" barrel.
Mike in Peru

CraigC
March 20, 2012, 08:17 AM
You could move up the bullet weight scale to 280-300 grainers. The 44 Mag with those bullet weights becomes a whole different creature.
Yep! The .44Mag with heavyweight cast bullets, like this 355gr Beartooth at 1250fps is another critter entirely.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7803b.jpg

Loosedhorse
March 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
If you want versatility, nothing beats (IMHO) a .460 revolver--.45 S&W, the various .45 Colt loadings, .454 and .460.

Of course, no .460 is going to be as sleek as a FA .454. Can even get it in .500 WE.

And if you simply must sit at the top of the hill, then sure: .500 S&W. But there's nothing at all wrong with a nice, sturdy revolver in the "lowly" .45 Colt, either.

BTW, I love the 629, but it doesn't have the reputation for durability with top loads that other (Ruger) revolvers do, so I agree with your concerns there.

98Redline
March 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
Congrats for working up to the .44mag, however a standard 240gr load as others have said is toward the lower end of the .44's potential. A 300 or 320gr bullet pushed at 1350fps will really open your eyes on what the .44 can do. It will also alter your definition of what recoil is.

To extend your analogy, you seem to have developed a taste for Jalapeños before you take a big bite of a Habenero or a Scottish Bonnet why don't you give some Cayenne a try. I like spicy food as well...much hotter than most like it, however my limit seems to be just short of the Scottish Bonnets and just short of the .475 Linebaugh. I can go hotter or bigger, but it becomes less enjoyable beyond that point.

Just don't start feeding your 629 a steady diet of the 300+ grainers. Smiths are well known to start getting a bit loose if you continually hammer them with hot loads. Once and awhile is no problem but don't make it your normal range routine.

CraigC
March 20, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yes, you can shoot a bunch of different cartridges in a .460 but I wouldn't call any X-frame the king of versatility. Don't think I'd buy a 5lb revolver and then shoot powderpuff .45S&W loads in it either.

Swing
March 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ooh, bit by the big-bore bug. Hard to go wrong with a slick .454 Casull. :D

eldon519
March 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe the answer is still a .44, just in a smaller, lighter package. Perhaps the S&W329PD or a 2.5" 629? Or even an Airweight J-frame .357 magnum.

Just an alternative philosophy, namely from the point of ammo expense and still getting a lot of excitement for your buck. For instance I get similar enjoyment out of my 3" SP101 and my 7.5" .45 Colt Ruger Bisley. I've currently got an order in for a 4.25" Freedom Arms 97 in .45 Colt for the same philosphy. Thought about going bigger with a .475L but figured I'd just try to master high-octane .45 Colt out of a smaller 5-shot package rather than further complicating my reloading logistics and having to buy more expensive components.

Shrinkmd
March 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
I was thinking if the heavier bullets, buy I thought that the 629 was not suitable for heavier grain loads. I don't want to rattle it apart too prematurely...

Smith357
March 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
If you want recoil try a T/C Encore in some huge African Magnum like .458 Win Mag up to .600 Nitro, a recoil junkies dream gun.

Loosedhorse
March 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
460 but I wouldn't call any X-frame the king of versatility.Depends on what I meant by versatility, doesn't it there, Craig, ol' chum? If I meant (as I obviously did) variety of ammo, then I think the .460 revolver's versatility is hard to match: .445 and .357 Supermag revolvers are also extremely ammo-versatile, but of course don't have the "top-end" that the .460 does.

Of course, if it's just X-frames that don't float your boat, maybe a BFR? :D;)Don't think I'd buy a 5lb revolver and then shoot powderpuff .45S&W loads in it either.I have. It's a great way to introduce folks to bigger calibers like the .460--"see, this big ol' revolver isn't that scary after all!" And work them upward. Just like shooting powder-puff loads out of a .357 or .44 Mag.

Hey, OP: maybe you'll like this--I've loaded .45 S&W (or .45 Colt cowboy load), then .45 Colt self-defense, then .45 Colt hunting (think Buffalo Bore), then .454, then .460 consecutively in the 5 chambers of the .460. Then demonstrate it for the interested person. The progression is stunning--still surprises me! And then let them try it for as many shots as they want: not macho, just keep going if it's still fun.

Last guy, he stopped at the first shot. Guy before him did all five, with a huge smile--pretty fair target, too.

hardluk1
March 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Heres one handgun company thats over looked that can give you 400 different choices in calibers to choice from. -http://www.competitor-pistol.com/

zombie44
March 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've probably put close to 2k rounds through my Ruger SRH Alaskan 44 mag and eventually felt the itch to move up in caliber as well. Spent about 6 mos searching but finally got my hands on a SRH Alaskan .480 and with the big holes and unfluted cylinder it was love at first sight but it just wasn't as fun and pleasant to shoot as the 44. I would describe the muzzle blast and recoil almost .357 magnum like. I should've experimented more with different loadings I suppose (only had 400 gr bullets on hand) but decided to let that gun go.

Have you tried a Desert Eagle in 44 mag yet? Same fun caliber but wow, so fun to shoot in it's own special way and it's a much different experience than shooting a revolver :D

Black Butte
March 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
One step up from the .44 Mag would be either the 480 Ruger or 454 Casull. Personally, I think the X-frame is just too big.

dprice3844444
March 20, 2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse.asp?Category=BFR:Revolvers

magnum research bfr 45/70=450 marlin

Hammerdown77
March 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
There is nothing like a Freedom Arms 454!

mooner
March 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
The way I see it, you either step up big, or step up small. How much more do you want? Super Red Hawk in 454 Casull is a nice, affordable, small (but very significant) step. 500 S&W magnum if you want to just go all the way.

As has been said, if you reload - going all the way can still be made manageable if you decide it's too much.

Loosedhorse
March 20, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm going to gush about the .475 Linebaugh. Back before the .460 and .500 S&W, the .475 was (IMHO) the king. Penetration ability was legend. Now, it's more like the .41 Magnum: if you've got the .454 Casull below it, and the .500 above--then, who needs it?

What can I say: I think it hits a sweet spot, as the .41 does. For guns, there's FA, there's Magnum Research--or you can go custom.

More factory loadings than you'd expect--light up the 440-grainer from Buffalo Bore (http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=146) if you need a thrill! Long-term, it's a reloading proposition, of course.

CraigC
March 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
IMHO, if you want a heavy sixgun that will take all game on the planet yet still comfortably carry in a belt holster and not require a sling, the .475 still IS the king. Period. All the X-frames add is weight, bulk, pressure, velocity, range, muzzle blast and recoil. Same for the rifle-cartridge BFR's. Nothing useful.

22-rimfire
March 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
A revolver in 475 Linbaugh/480 Ruger would be my choice. I went from a 41 mag to the 480 Ruger. I learned that the 480 Ruger is big enough for me.

After learning to handle the recoil of the 41 mag, I actually started shooting more 357 mag's. Prior to shooting the 41 mag, I was always a bit uncomfortable with the recoil of the 357 mag in a normal steel framed revolver.

BCRider
March 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
About your 629. All the reading suggests that you're right to not want to stuff big heavy fast moving loads in it. The 629 is a balanced gun in that it is sized to be able to still carry around reasonably well yet still survive the power of stout loads. The general opinions I read from forums such as this is that there's enough folks which have shot the N frame guns loose to suggest that you don't want to move up much more in power for more than a few shots.

But I agree with the folks that say you have not hit the top of the heap for .44Mag. A Super Blackhawk or Super Redhawk will let you climb higher up on the .44Mag ladder. Another option would be the single shot Contender pistol. Those things can be loaded right to the max pressure recipes and still laugh off the punishment. And for range giggles I don't see the need to load one at a time being a big deal. Hell, it'll give you time to consider what you're about to unleash... :D

Mind you all this means you will need to get into reloading to get the most out of these guns. You can play with various powders and bullet weights to enhance the recoil or to go for the biggest and baddest fireballs. The case volume and wide variety of bullet weights in both jacketed and cast makes for a wide range of combinations to keep you experimenting for a long time.

My own early experimenting with .44Mag loads has been mostly geared towards achieving fireballs which would set a dry prairie fire to burning.... :D But I'm also looking at playing with bullet weight and powder loads which will generate a HUGE push rather than a nasty SMACK style of recoil.

So all in all yeah, a new gun isn't a bad idea. But you aren't finished yet with what the .44Mag can do by a long shot.

sugarmaker
March 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
Some good advice on previous poste. Some 315 grain bullets at 1300 will wake the 629 up enough that you may be surprised. Be prepared to buy a lower rear sight blade.

I recently got a 6.5" 500, it fits in a modified hunter holster quite well (the one for a DW 44 8"), not at all uncomfortable to carry or shoot. I shoot 450's at 1200 and 370's at 1475, about all I want and still be able to shoot 40 rounds per session. Recoil wise, you can get pretty close to that with a .475 or a Casull, in an FA 83 I think that might be optimum between performance, recoil, bulk and carry weight. The 6.5" X frame Smith is alot of gun, both size wise and power wise, but I am enjoying the step up from 44 mag.

rha600
March 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
If you are just shooting paper targets, why not just go for a Thomson Center in some rifle calibers?

http://www.tcarms.com/

you can get the Encore pistols in anything from 17HMR up through the 270, 308, 338 Federal, 7mm Remington and even to a S&W460 and 500 magnums if you so desired.

and the good part is that you can change calibers for about $300 with a new barrel.

Damon555
March 20, 2012, 03:05 PM
Factory 240 grain 44 mag loads are pussycats compared to the heavy hitters in the 300+ grain range. Your S&W can handle the heavies too....

cerberus65
March 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
My suggestion mirrors many others: the .460 Mag.

I recently got a chance to shoot two rounds through a 460XVR (10.5 in. perf. center). The first was a .45 Colt and it was less recoil than shooting a .38 Spl. in my K or L frames. The second was a 200 gr. XTP at 2200 fps (or maybe 2300, I forget). The recoil was noticeably sharper and faster than my .44 Mag. (which I usually feed 240 XTPs running at 1350 fps).

I suspect the fellow who offered to let me shoot his 460 could tell from the grin on my face that he'd just made my whole week. :-)

The bad thing is that I now really want a 460 and I've yet to find any cheap way to do that. I'm just going to have to save my lunch money for a good long while I guess. :-(

When I do get one, though, I'm going to go with either the 5" or the 8-3/8" barrel. I love the look of the 5" barrel but I'll probably go longer for the extra weight and sight radius.

just for fun
March 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Put the money in the bank untill this adsurdity passes!

Loosedhorse
March 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
I love the look of the 5" barrelThe shorter barrel makes it handle better as well. If it would be for hunting or LD targets only, then absolutely the longer barrel (and scope it). If it's more "fun"--and just maybe bear defense (:eek: I saw one--RIGHT THERE-- a moment ago. :uhoh: Honest. ;) Can't be too prepared, you know. :D)--then the short barrel, for sure.

I have a short-barrel version. That guy I mentioned who only wanted to shoot .45 Colt through it? We were there trying out different things for him: .22, .38, .357, .45 ACP. Athletic, but not a big guy. He said the .460 was his favorite--"It just feels great."

:)

YMMV

Stainz
March 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
I started with .45 ACPs in a BH convertible - had to try .45 Colts - added .454 Casulls - then went .44M, Spec, & Russian... then .357/.38... then .32... then .22! Of course, the cost per shot went down while I was shooting .45 Colts - I started reloading. Reloading components got more expensive... my wrists got weaker... the .22's are welcome. I still make holes in paper, ping steel plates, and, with a following wind, have even dropped a falling plate or two. I still go 'Magnum'... I have a 4" 651 - a 6-shot .22 WMR.

Avoid the last minute rush... find plinker nirvana... get a S&W 4"/6" 617 - or 3"/5" 63 - and get ye to a lgs, or W-W, for some cheapo Federal bricks of .22 LR. Keep the 29/629 for those days when you just need to make some noise.

Stainz

bubba15301
March 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
45/70

XxBulletBendeRXx
March 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Now thats not any fun though!!! But It will pass.. THese things always do. but... NOw I wanna a MAgnum wheel gun. :( ... Dang it!!

XxBulletBendeRXx
March 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
45/70
No doubt bubba.. A Single action 45/70 will wake things up.... LOL. Very Nice suggestion.

Shrinkmd
March 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
Avoid the last minute rush... find plinker nirvana... get a S&W 4"/6" 617 - or 3"/5" 63 - and get ye to a lgs, or W-W, for some cheapo Federal bricks of .22 LR. Keep the 29/629 for those days when you just need to make some noise.

Been there, and I do that. But the interesting thing is, after shooting a whole lot of 44 and 357 magnum recently, I am shooting them better than ever. And when I shoot anything lesser in recoil, they all feel like a .22 I can still remember (well, years ago) when I was shooting my 617 great, but then flinched and was shooting low with my 686 with factory 38 Special! Or when I was shooting 45ACP and they kept getting lower and lower on the target because I was flinching. So, I'm really happy with my ability to light off 158's at 1250 in a 686 4", and 240's at 1250 in the 44 mag 4".

Hmm, I wish I could see a Freedom Arms in person. I guess the 500 would be the easiest, since I can load more reasonably and work up. Does the .454 or 460VXR shoot the same bullets as a 45acp? I have some 155gr swc for my 45which would be fun to shoot really, really fast...

Rodentman
March 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
I got the big bore bug too, after buying a few .44's. So I went for the 500 mag, getting one in 4" and 8.375".

As they so rightly say, YMMV, but this is a completely different ball game. I started out loading 330g lead over 10g of Trail Boss. Then moved up, leveling off right now at 40g H110 with a 350 JHP Sierra.

Someone gave me a dozen Corbon 440g and they really sing too.

Recoil? Well, it's substantial but tolerable if you can handle a .44 mag. However, the next day my hand right up through my shoulder was rather sore, after firing about 50 rounds of mixed level loads.

I didn't get a full appreciation for the 500, relative to other calibers, until I put it away at the range and pulled out my 1911, which was light as a feather and felt like a cap gun firing. It almost felt like I had a squib.

The 500 is really a "hand cannon" but they're gonna be going to the range again soon. I wouldn't buy one unless you can reload it.

As I said, YMMV, but I have no regrets buying them. The 4" can be carried, although I would not call it easily concealed.

buck460XVR
March 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
All the X-frames add is weight, bulk, pressure, velocity, range, muzzle blast and recoil.

Yep.....cool eh? :D

The .460 was never meant for everyone. Many of those that bad mouth it are intimidated by it. Two of the items that Craig mentioned are velocity and range. That's what the X-frames are all about. Don't like 'em, good for you, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But there's no comparison of the velocity and energy between the .460 and the .475s and .480s. Whole different beast. My X-Frame is a pleasure to shoot. It gets taken to the range everytime I go and gets at least 50 rounds thru it. Ain't met a person yet that hasn't shot it and walked away with a big ax grin on their face. I had one of those 45-70 guide guns everyone claims is a better alternative to a PC X-Frame. They are wrong. I shoot more rounds thru my X-Frame in one range session than I did in the half dozen years I owned the guide gun. The Marlin was brutal to shoot, even at game. At the range it was like being kicked by a mule. Sold it like all the other guns I don't enjoy using. In the woods still hunting, it was still more awkward than my X-Frame......on it's sling. This is from experience....not conjecture.

As I said, the .460 is not for everyone, nor is it for the faint of heart. It is however, more pleasurable to shoot than most that have never shot one , give it credit for. I deer hunt exclusively with handguns.....or handgun cartridges in .357, 44 and .460. They all have their strengths, they all have their weaknesses and they all have their place. The .460 is not a cheap handgun to shoot. It also is limited when it comes to the variety of factory ammo available. But when handloaded, it really shines, not only with a wide range of velocities and bullet selection, but also with accuracy. It also costs not much more than .44 mag when reloaded. I do agree with Craig tho when it comes to powder puff loads. If you are considering buying a .460 to mostly shoot .45LC loads with, don't bother.

FM12
March 20, 2012, 08:50 PM
.480 Ruger?

drunkensobriety
March 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
I have to say: .44 mag has got to be my favorite handgun cartridge of all time. Get yourself a Ruger and throw in some hand cannon ammunition, they won't fall apart like the smith will. If you like the 629 so much: get a Ruger Redhawk in the same barrel length.

The difference between 240 grain standard loads and say some buffalo bore 340 grain +P+ is like switching from 9mm to .357 maximum (.357 maximum and magnum are two different things).

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Or, one of my favorite ammo makers, doubletap. 320 grain at the same muzzle velocity as standard 240 grain factory loads.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=118

One of buffalo bore's factory load's for .454 casull is 325 grain projectile at 1,525 fps. the above 320 grain doubletap load has a muzzle velocity of 1,325 from a 7.5 inch barrel. Making the .454 casull in this case only slightly heavier (5 grains), only slightly faster (200 fps) and only slightly bigger (0.024 inch).

I've never really liked .454 all that much, it's only a minor step up from .44 mag in all reality - but the price jump is outrageous. BB price $50.02 for a box of 20 of the above mentioned .454 casull. $2.50 a round. V.s. $53.52 for a box of 50 from for the a fore mentioned 320 grain .44 mag ammo. $1.06 per round. I'm not willing to pay the price hike for a menial increase in performance.

A reasonable progression away from .44 mag however: would be .454 casull, .480 ruger, .475 linebaugh, .460 S&W magnum, .500 S&W magnum.

And i advise caution when you're chasing the recoil rush towards ever bigger and more powerful hand cannons. pay attention to this other thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/44382-Big-bore-revolver-eats-mans-thumb

56hawk
March 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
My recommendation is to get the 500 S&W. I went through this same dilemma a few years ago and ended up getting the 2 3/4" barreled 500ES. Figured I might as well get the most over the top recoiling gun I could get. It is by far my favorite gun to take to the range. Always draws a crowd. :)

Since then I bought a FA 454. It is really tame in comparison to the 500 or even the 44 in terms of felt recoil. Believe it or not, the 44 Mountain gun still stings my hand worse than the other two.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=161384&d=1332296178

Loosedhorse
March 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Does the .454 or 460VXR shoot the same bullets as a 45acp?.45 Colt-family bullets are nominally .454 if lead, but smaller if jacketed. .45 ACPs/GAPs are .451. You may have noticed that Freedom Arms offers a conversion cylinder for the .454, so: it can shoot .45 ACP bullets. Might possibly poorer obturation and accuracy for the .45 ACP, though.

56hawk
March 20, 2012, 11:26 PM
.45 Colt-family bullets are nominally .454 if lead, but smaller if jacketed.

Actually the 460 S&W, 454 Casull and most modern 45 Colts use .451 bullets. I've loaded 230 grain 45 ACP bullets in my 454 Casull and they work great. Only issue is the lack of a crimping groove.

skidder
March 21, 2012, 01:46 AM
Chainsaws, plywood mills, and carpel tunnel surgery have kept me out of the "daves insanity sauce" section, but a spicy 320 corbon out of my 44 Redhawk takes me back to young and dumb :D.

This is perfectly sefe to try in your 629. It will not hurt your gun what soever.......cylinder too short, already tried it :evil:.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc456/exlogger/Redhawk/RedCorbon.jpg

CraigC
March 21, 2012, 09:18 AM
.45 Colt-family bullets are nominally .454 if lead, but smaller if jacketed.
Wrong. Modern .45Colt uses .452" cast and .451" jacketed.

ZERO issue with accuracy with a .45ACP cylinder in an FA 83. Obturation is not an issue....at all.

Does the .454 or 460VXR shoot the same bullets as a 45acp?
You can use .45ACP bullets in either cartridge but one must pay attention to the velocity range these bullets are designed for and remember that ACP bullets don't have a cannelure for crimping. With the broad selection of proper revolver bullets, there's not much reason to fool with ACP bullets.

Many of those that bad mouth it are intimidated by it.
I'm not intimidated by it in the least. I've been shooting the .44Mag since age 16 and have explored its limits. One of my next two custom guns will be a five-shot .500. The .460, despite what its fans might say, is simply unnecessary. Unnecessary weight, bulk, pressure and blast. The .454 is unnecessary as well. Ross Seyfried agrees. Like I said, all that velocity does is flatten the trajectory, increase recoil and muzzle blast. Not effectiveness on game as some believe. Standard length cartridges get you to 125yds in smaller, lighter packages that still carry well in a holster. If I wanted to shoot 200yds with a handgun, I'd opt for a single shot. Rather than a giant revolver trying to be something it is not.

But there's no comparison of the velocity and energy between the .460 and the .475s and .480s. Whole different beast.
Indeed, the .475's are what they are, short range hammers. The .460 is trying to be a rifle cartridge. If you think a 200gr at blinding speed is more effective on game than a 430gr at 1350fps, I've got some Arizona swampland you might be interested in. Muzzle energy is a piss poor measurement of a load's effectiveness on game.

22-rimfire
March 21, 2012, 11:24 AM

There is some sense in this statement. But I didn't listen.

Buck460XVR, excellent post #38. I agree with most of what you said and how you said it. I would delete the 357 mag inclusion in deer hunting handgun calibers however. But it is a great caliber for many things and a borderline whitetail caliber.

Different strokes for different folks. It is rather obvious in this thread as in most threads.

You probably need to step up to the 475/480, 460 or 500 S&W if you want to see what the big ones are like. Of those three, I favor the 475/480 and 500 for most things and the 460 if you plan on stretching out the range to 100+ yds commonly.

I also agree that shooting the low powered rounds in these kinds of calibers is simply a waste of time.

kutz
March 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
I use Magnum Research BFR in .450, Tooo much fun & you can hunt Elk & Bear with it.

Loosedhorse
March 21, 2012, 01:36 PM
Wrong.:D

As it happens, 56hawk already helped me out with that. But I guess I should thank you for your...enthusiasm. ;)

I was tempted to mention that the .460 takes .460 bullets, but... :)

CraigC
March 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
No more enthusiasm than that required to take out the trash. :rolleyes:

Loosedhorse
March 21, 2012, 04:30 PM
It's just "funny" that you choose to do it tardily and redundantly--after it's already been accomplished, so that there was no reason--well, no high road reason. I guess I should be flattered to be the object of your...special attentions, once more.

:D

waidmann
March 21, 2012, 10:20 PM
See.

sirsloop
March 22, 2012, 12:36 AM
Sounds like you need one of these my friend!

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=649532

http://photos.tallmanphoto.com/photos/i-fCtzNSz/0/XL/i-fCtzNSz-XL.jpg

http://photos.tallmanphoto.com/photos/i-MhxMZFH/0/XL/i-MhxMZFH-XL.png

Big Boomer
March 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
I've still got it even though this little bugger broke my hand. Magnum Research 500 S&W. Couldn't pick up a milk jug for 3 months. Now with a grip change and gloves it only "mildly" hurts. This was my limit though. I've also got a 12" PC 460 mag that is much less recoil but much more flame. To be honest, I like the 500 in the MR platform better. I've though about buying one in 460 as well. Just like the look of the single action "old west" feel.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/500SmithandWessonBFR.jpg

Big Boomer
March 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
A shot from my 460

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/Fireball460SWMagnum8.jpg

stormborn
March 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've still got it even though this little bugger broke my hand. Magnum Research 500 S&W. Couldn't pick up a milk jug for 3 months. Now with a grip change and gloves it only "mildly" hurts. This was my limit though. I've also got a 12" PC 460 mag that is much less recoil but much more flame. To be honest, I like the 500 in the MR platform better. I've though about buying one in 460 as well. Just like the look of the single action "old west" feel.

Man that thing is beautiful - I had been thinking I wanted a S&W .500 but you may have just changed my mind. I have to ask, though - broke your hand as in actually broke it? I've fired a few rounds through a S&W and though stout, I didn't feel that I was in any danger of an actual injury.

CraigC
March 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
It's just "funny" that you choose to do it tardily and redundantly...
No, I felt the need to be a little more specific and add a little more information in correcting your erroneous post. What IS funny is how you put yourself forth as the last word on this subject, yet make such a basic mistake. It's fun, I remember when I was young and uneducated. Nice try at putting it back on me though.

Loosedhorse
March 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
you put yourself forth as the last word on this subjectI did? How did I do that? I mean, I do understand that if I said "I am the last word on this subject," you might have a point. But you seem to be (again) just creating reasons in your own mind for the things you say, to attempt to justify yourself.

Although, of couse, I understand your need to try to justify what you choose to say. With 56hawk supplying a polite correction, your comments about "trash" and "basic error" and "last word" sure look odd in contrast. How many times now have you said some version of "wrong" or "erroneous"--seems a little excessive considering even your first "wrong" was redundant. In you next response, let's see how many times you mention my terribly egregious error--the one worth all this special attention from you.I remember when I was young and uneducated.I guess I appreciate your sharing your memories with me. Uh, thanks. Does your (I assume) previous "young and uneducated" status have any relevance to your other comments? Is it some excuse?Nice try at putting it back on me though.Your comments are always on you. Believe it or not, I don't control them. Beginning to wonder if anyone does.

S.B.
March 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
Don't sell the S&W 500 short. I've opted for a John Ross custom.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Ross-12.jpg
Steve

buck460XVR
March 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
If I wanted to shoot 200yds with a handgun, I'd opt for a single shot. Rather than a giant revolver trying to be something it is not.
The .460 is trying to be a rifle cartridge.

Dude...why are you so angry? Nobody has trashed your opinion and your preferences, but you seem to be dead set on trashing other folk's. Seems to be a norm on internet forums. Folks insecure with their own choices seem to think it's necessary to trash others to validate their own. Seems folks that can't win an argument on facts always end up name calling and belittling. Must boost their egos or something.

If you think a 200gr at blinding speed is more effective on game than a 430gr at 1350fps, I've got some Arizona swampland you might be interested in.

So you're saying anyone that does not completely agree with your opinion, is one of those fools born every minute? Must be hard to find a hat that fits....and it must be lonely at the top. Maybe that's where all the anger comes from. I never said a 200 gr at blinding speed is more effective than anything...you're saying that. But what is a .44 shooting a 430gr @ 1350, but a gun trying to be something other than what it was designed for. I prefer heavier bullets also for hunting, but I don't like to use bullets at weights twice the weight the gun was designed for. Lucky for us we all have the freedom to use what we want.

Muzzle energy is a piss poor measurement of a load's effectiveness on game.

Not when it's used to compare one load to another. Energy is what drives a bullet thru tissue for penetration. The more energy, the harder it is to stop. Pretty simple. A loads effectiveness also depends on bullet construction along with the velocity and energy. Flatter trajectory means less holdover at longer ranges and less compensation at short range. It also makes small misjudgements in range moot as POI is relatively the same at a larger spread of those distances. For example, your bullet would drop approximately 28 inches or more @ 200 yards. My 240 grainers would drop about 10. No advantage to experts like you, but to fools like me, it is.:rolleyes:

I've been shooting the .44Mag since age 16 and have explored its limits.

One thing we have in common. Altho I'm sure you've been shooting longer than my 6 decades. Still, I wonder how being so experienced with a .44 makes you such an expert on other firearms that you have little or no experience with. Maybe that comes with the big hat, eh?

CraigC
March 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Who said anything about being angry??? I simply see the X-frames as an answer to the question no one asked. They are a lot of flash and noise but don't have anything of substance to offer.

Who said anything about a 430gr .44??? That was a .475 reference. If you worship energy, because energy is so velocity-dependent, then obviously you would worship the 200gr load over all others. :rolleyes:

What kind of groups are you getting at 200yds with that thing???

Energy is meaningless and we would all be better off if they stopped publishing those numbers. However, I can see that I've stumbled into a hotbed of sixgun masters so I will bow to your collective superior intellect. Maybe I should get me a .460 so I can know everything???

How did I do that?
You know, the previous thread where you claimed superiority over every gunsmith and expert in the country???

RalphS
March 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
I agree with CraigC. Energy is not the best measurement of performance when it comes to handgun calibers. I use Power Factor to compare handgun loads. It doesn't square the velocity like Energy does. Energy numbers make lightweight, high speed loads look better than slower, heavier loads.

I like my magnum revolvers to shoot the heaviest bullets at 1200-1300 fps so I guess I am biased against lightweight, super high speed handgun loads.

Loosedhorse
March 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
You know, the previous threadWell, there we have it, folks. CraigC admitting that his behavior in this thread has nothing to do with my comments in this thread, but instead with a "previous thread". Real high road, Craig. Can I expect you to stalk all of my posts from now on?

Unfortunately, deceit seems your chief stock in trade. In the previous thread, you attacked the very first post I made--even though you had to bend over backward to misinterpret it enough to call it wrong. After that, it's true: I disagreed with you. But I guess, in your disregard for the truth, you've decided that disagreeing with you equates to disagreeing with "every gunsmith and expert in the country". Ego much, there, Craig? But of course, I never claimed such superiority; you just lied to say I did.

Actually, I seem to have caught you in another deception. In that "previous thread", you pretty much admitted that your antagonism toward me was because of yet an earlier thread having to do with rifle scopes, months ago. So, your antagonism seems to predate what you say caused it. I guess I shoud be flattered to have such a devotee.

In sum: you portray yourself as a man who has neither pride nor shame.

Here's a suggestion, Craig. This is the second thread you've derailed because of your personal antagonism of me. To prevent more such derailments, in the interests of THR, why don't you open a thread, "I'm stalking Loosedhorse, even if I have to lie to do it," and concentrate all your efforts there. You ABSOLUTELY have my full permission to list my .454/452 mistake in that thread (put it in General so lots of people see it!), show people how thoroughly and deservedly you trounced me for it, and invite people to laugh themselves silly.

Fair enough?

Sad man.Who said anything about being angry???It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Craig, your comments about the X-frame revolvers are easily assailed. But as you are not an honest debater, and will only respond to valid points with the likes of "you're claiming superiority over every gunsmith and expert in the country," there's no point in discussing anything with you. Unless other posters agree with you, they get the old Craig special: "you need to go educate yourself."

Speaking of which--how many .460 rounds have you put downrange out of an X-frame? I'm guessing it would have to be a lot, given how many criticisms you have of the round and the gun--and the people who are dumb enough to own and shoot them. And enjoy it. Like me.

captain awesome
March 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
The whole "Answer to a question nobody asked" statement bothers me. All you are saying really is It's an answer to a question YOU didn't ask. BIG difference. If it exists and people actually buy it (which they do, and they do in DROVES considering the X frames) Then obviously SOMEONE asked the question. And plenty of people have asked; "How fast can I drive a revolver cartridge?" or "How powerful can I make a production handgun?" or "whats is the most powerful/fastest handgun I can buy?" All are questions people asked, and at different times throughout history, these were a few of the answers, no doubt I am excluding many of them;
45 colt
357 magnum
44 magnum
454 casull
460 S&W
500 S&W
Thompson Center Contender, Encore
I am pleading with the people of the internet to stop using that Erroneous and extremely arrogant statement.

And hows this grab you; Those are all questions I have asked.

bluethunder1962
March 22, 2012, 07:13 PM
You must be more of a man than me. My forth shot with my 44 mag poped the biggest blister on my thumb.

Shrinkmd
March 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
You must be more of a man than me. My forth shot with my 44 mag poped the biggest blister on my thumb

For what it's worth, I've been doing the Prohands exercisers to build up my gripping strength. I notice a difference in my ability to tolerate recoil. Although too many magnum rounds splits the skin open between my thumb and pointer. I need shooting gloves for the 44.

All this discussion is really making me think about getting the 500. Even if it is a dollar a round reloaded, it sounds like 10-20 shots per range session would be more than enough to scratch that itch.

It also looks like there are some more reasonable loads for 330gr lead RNFP bullets, which would bring the reloaded cost into the ~$350 per 1000 range, which is cheaper than factory 45acp hardball. I like the idea of shooting guns which would otherwise be ridiculously unaffordable. Even the 44 Special cowboy loads are $600 a case or more!

It is fun being part of the reloader/big bore revolver club!

Hammerdown77
March 22, 2012, 09:57 PM
That's not a hand strength issue, it's a grip fit issue. If you are tearing skin or getting cut or raising blisters, you need to look at how the gun fits your hand. Change grips, try different styles, switch to wood if you are getting torn skin and blisters, etc. The right grips make all the difference in the world.

sirsloop
March 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
Hmm.... You can load a 500 so it doesn't have as much flash or bang . I specifically use max load H110 cause I want more flash and bang... But you can use min load lil gun or something

S.B.
March 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
sirloop, I and everyone else I know of gets a trace of rubber from the grips in between that area. You can use Jodgdon Tite Group to really reduce noise and recoil in 500s.
Steve

CraigC
March 23, 2012, 09:16 AM
The X-frames are neither fish nor fowl. They are as large and bulky as a single shot specialty pistol, yet are not as accurate and are limited in range. They resemble a revolver until you realize they weigh as much as a Colt Walker and nobody wants to carry one of those on their hip all day. It's funny how serious sixgunners always considered cartridges like the .475 and .500 Linebaugh Longs as interesting in theory but impractical in actual use. Yet the X-frames come along with too much and not enough and the uninitiated think they are the bees knees. That's fine if you want to make noise at the range and impress your friends. For practical purposes, they leave a lot to be desired. As far as how many rounds I've fired downrange, well, a wise man once said "I do not have to lick a turd to know that I do not want to eat it".

As for the rhetoric from Loosedhorse, I'm not even going to respond to such nonsense. Grow up.

eldon519
March 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
Shrinkmd,

If you are a reloader, you may want to look at the 500JRH in the Magnum Research BFR. It has a standard size cylinder (same as 475 or 454) instead of the extra-long cylinder for the 500SW and 45-70. They have a 5-inch shorty version which is a very practical size.

To me if recoil is the quest, you would be handicapping yourself by going to the size and mass of the X-frame. You just have to push more bullet weight with more powder to get the same shooting experience as you would with the 500JRH BFR or a 475L without adding much in terms of effectiveness and giving up a good bit in terms of practicality/carryability.

It goes back to what I was saying earlier about trying to use more caliber in less gun. If the cartridge AND the gun both keep getting bigger, you're just burning more powder.

The intro video of John Linebaugh shooting his .500L on his website is a great illustration. It may be less powerful than an 500SW, but he guides the recoil of the gun just past his face. With a less experienced shooter, that would hit you in the face haha.

CraigC
March 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
The .500JRH is an excellent suggestion! A standard length cartridge that lets you take advantage of the bullet selection for the .500S&W. Packable, usable power in a package light enough to carry on your hip all day.

charlie echo
March 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
S&W629 ought to handle 320 grain 44 RM Garrett Cartridges:
But do not use it on a Winchester 94 lever gun: breaks the innards.

Next up on a revolver could be a 454 Casull, but I recommend adding a rifle, since you already have "enough gun" in a revolver: Perhaps a 458 Lott/Winchester Magnum, if you don't mind $80 for a box (20) or can handload, carefully.

Loosedhorse
March 23, 2012, 09:43 AM
Yet the X-frames come along with too much and not enough and the uninitiated think they are the bees knees.Again with the "unintitiated" business, eh? It's never enough for you to note that you disagree; you always have to state your additonal opinion that the disagreement is because you're a guru, and X-framers are "uninitiated."

Tell me, if I ever get "initiated", do I get to wear that cool royal gown that you wear?

Speaking of "uninitiated", I'll repeat my question: how many rounds of .460 have you fired from an X-frame, to support your opinion of them?

Hey, it's fine that you don't like X-frames. No one has to. But why the persistent need on your part to call those that like them names?Perhaps a 458 Lott/Winchester Magnum, if you don't mind $80 for a box (20) or can handload, carefully.One heck of a cartridge, and an awfully good suggestion, IMHO (with downsides as specified).

sirsloop
March 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
.458 win MSG pistol was on my radar, but it's tapered brass and would need to be trimmed. 500 is easier to reload in that regard, but you lose the .458 bullet selection.

CraigC
March 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'll repeat my question: how many rounds of .460 have you fired from an X-frame, to support your opinion of them?
Like I said..."I do not have to lick a turd to know that I do not want to eat it".

You see, the good Lord granted me the gift of deductive reasoning. I use this gift to determine things that are unsavory without actually having to experience them. You should try it. If I need "more", I'll go up in bullet weight or diameter, not pour on the velocity. So no, I have no need or desire for the .460S&W, or the .454Casull for that matter.

It's never enough for you to note that you disagree; you always have to state your additonal opinion that the disagreement is because you're a guru, and X-framers are "uninitiated."
To come to this conclusion I use my powers of observation. Which tell me that lots of folks go and buy these things because they make the most noise. Then proceed to spray bullets all over the target at 7yds. Easily lumped in with your average Desert Eagle shooter. Most noise, least proficiency. Personified by S&W's own ridiculous 200yd club.

So what is it exactly that .460 is giving you that you can't get out of a standard cartridge??? Does it kill deer any deader? Are you really taking advantage of its range? How does YOUR gun shoot at 200yds? 100yds? Anything???

Loosedhorse
March 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
..."I do not have to lick a turd to know that I do not want to eat it".Let's see: if I were a Craig-type, I'd now fly into a rage about how "ignorant" and "uninitiated" you are since you've apparently not fired X-frames (at all?); about how you are claiming yourself superior in knowldege to the engineers who designed the X-fame guns, and to Peter Pi, who designed the .500 S&W round; etc. etc. :barf:

But I'm not like that. So, instead I'll say: maybe try one sometime. Any of us will be happy to let you. You might be surprised--who knows?the gift of deductive reasoningDeductive reasoning, Craig, produced the Dark Ages. Experimentalism was what brought us out of them--the idea that we should take those "deduced" ideas that you come up with by reading and scribbling, and try them out on a range sometime.

So, maybe "experiment" with a .460 sometime. If nothing else, it would at least give your bloviating criticism of all things X-frame more credibility, don't you think?To come to this conclusion I use my powers of observationCraig, another thing you don't get--perfect Craig-line, by the way--is that it doesn't matter that that is your conclusion about .460 shooters, or that you came to that by "observation" (not how conclusions are arrived at, by the way).

What matters is that you decide to be impolite and disrespectful enough to tell us that we're stupid. Even if that is your conclusion, a nice guy would keep that conclusion to himself--you know, act high road. Maybe even use kind and gentle words, given his compassion for such stupid shooters.

Oops. Compassion. From you. I guess you can list another mistake in that "Loosedhorse" thread. Oh well.

S.B.
March 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
CraigC, disagree with your assessments of the X frames? They're big revolvers that fill the same nich as the Howdaw pistols did in their day. That's exactly why I opted for the JRC it is packable! Maybe you should stick to your smaller caliber handguns if you choose instead of writing such nonsence about modern handguns?
Steve

sirsloop
March 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Craig, I suggest posting in a thread that discusses more practical cartridges, and leave the big bore threads to us irrational senseless people.

CraigC
March 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Even if that is your conclusion, a nice guy would keep that conclusion to himself...
I'm here to talk about guns, you're the one that made it personal because you can't handle a little correction now and then. I really couldn't care less what anybody shoots, it is up to the individual to decide. I have my opinion of the big S&W's and feel the urge to express it, as you do the same. I don't expect everyone to agree and I don't expect X-frame shooters to do anything but defend their honor.

They're big revolvers that fill the same nich as the Howdaw pistols did in their day.
Not really. Like I've asked before, please explain what the pressure and velocity of the .460 gains you???

Maybe you should stick to your smaller caliber handguns if you choose instead of writing such nonsence about modern handguns?......I suggest posting in a thread that discusses more practical cartridges, and leave the big bore threads to us irrational senseless people.

Oh please, get over yourselves. This is exactly what I'm talking about. People that think big bores were invented the day they introduced the X-frame. I reckon I'm a sissy because I prefer the .480Ruger, .475Linebaugh, .500JRH, .50Spl, .500Linebaugh and .500WE in a lightweight package. Get a clue, because you clearly have none.

sirsloop
March 23, 2012, 05:15 PM
Actually you don't have a clue cause you never even shot one of these... Lol oh wait you deduced what it would be like or something :D

I'd love to hear your expert opinion on other topics like NHRA top fuel, jet fighters, or extreme unicycling.

Hammerdown77
March 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Good grief, let it go fellers.

All this bickering back and forth through the Internets makes Al Gore cry.

S.B.
March 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
Unless I miss my guess CraigC is a liberal anti gunner wanting to trol this thread?
Steve

CraigC
March 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
Unless I miss my guess CraigC is a liberal anti gunner wanting to trol this thread?
There it is, you got me. I've been masquarading on this board for 6yrs and made over 5000 posts but I'm really a liberal anti-gunner troll. Busted. :rolleyes:

sirsloop
March 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
west tennessee no less... must be a hijacked account.

Shrinkmd
March 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure this thread is going in a helpful direction. My original post was for direction on stepping up from the 44 Magnum. I also said it was for range and plinking only. Just for the hell of it.

Kinda like the amp in Spinal Tap "but these go to eleven"

Sometimes the only thing practical about lifting weights is that you can pick up something heavier than most people and it's no sweat. So shooting some big, heavy, sorta impractical gun makes shooting a 1911 with hardball feel like a 22.

Loosedhorse
March 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
you're the one that made it personalNo. As I said (and can link to) you're the one who admitted this was personal, referencing in this thread a previous thread as the reason for your personal hostility toward me, and referenced a still earlier thread in that previous thread. Toto has pulled back the curtain, Craig. You can pretend, but I can't see anyone buying it at this point.

In contrast, I've tried to extend a hand--but not to the point of accepting your attempted deceptions. In any case, believe it or not, the hand is still extended.get over yourselvesAfter you, friend. Teach by example.

Rodentman
March 23, 2012, 08:13 PM
«That's fine if you want to make noise at the range and impress your friends. For practical purposes, they leave a lot to be desired.»

Honestly now, there are products in every category that are impractical and excessive. Why buy a Rolex when it costs upwards of 6k, requires expensive service, and doesn't keep time as well as a throw away quartz watch? I dunno but I enjoy mine.

400+ horsepower cars?
5k binoculars?
stereo speakers 12k?

Back to the 500. Yes I probably DID buy it to make noise at the range and impress my friends, both of them. I never deluded myself into thinking it was practical. I don't hunt, so I guess I have only a few guns in my collection that are practical for carry; the others are more or less useless.

I'll be honest. I can afford the gun and I wanted to have (and reload) (one of) the most powerful handguns made.

However, I am an experienced shooter and reloader. I have had firearms since 1972 so this isn't my first gun. I bought it because I can afford it and, well, I just wanted it.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just wanted to add that sometimes people do things that are far from practical in their pursuit of happiness. I know I do.

Prosser
March 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
For what it's worth, I've been doing the Prohands exercisers to build up my gripping strength. I notice a difference in my ability to tolerate recoil. Although too many magnum rounds splits the skin open between my thumb and pointer. I need shooting gloves for the 44.

All this discussion is really making me think about getting the 500. Even if it is a dollar a round reloaded, it sounds like 10-20 shots per range session would be more than enough to scratch that itch.

It also looks like there are some more reasonable loads for 330gr lead RNFP bullets, which would bring the reloaded cost into the ~$350 per 1000 range, which is cheaper than factory 45acp hardball. I like the idea of shooting guns which would otherwise be ridiculously unaffordable. Even the 44 Special cowboy loads are $600 a case or more!

It is fun being part of the reloader/big bore revolver club!

GREAT that you reload.

First thing I would do is load the heaviest bullets you can in your .44, at least 300 grains, 325's are better, and push them around 1350 fps.

Shoot those at the range and decide what you want to do.

If you like shooting stuff that is absurdly expensive I have a few suggestions.

.500 JRH. Fits in the .500 S&@ but better out of a real sized gun, like a BFR.

.475 Linebaugh. LOTS of bullet choices. Perhaps the best researched most used of the big calibers.

.500 Linebaugh BIG case, lower pressure. Like that.

Your .44 loads are below the recoil level that made me realize my grips had to be custom made for me to be able to accurately shoot my heavy loads.

The .500's are fun, and you can always load down. Problem is with these big cases loading down can lead to inconsistent ignition and accuracy.

I'd shop around and see what pops up at a good price.

BCRider
March 24, 2012, 03:46 PM

I missed this post the first time through due to the bar room brawl... :D

Grip shape on any of the big boomers makes ALL the difference. There simply is no way that a .44 should cause blisters or split your skin open. A little redness and some slight hand discomfort might be expected since it is pretty much like the gun is being hit repeatedly with a heavy hammer. But the grips should not produce local injuries such as bruising or skin splitting.

I ran into the same issue with my Super Blackhawk. The grips fit me poorly and it was letting the gun power back within my grip to where the trigger guard was smashing into the back of my middle finger. I made up some fatter grips but still in the same style. They let me get a more supportive hand wrap and the problem went away.

Just the other day as it happens I pickedup a used Redhawk in .44Mag. Pictures and gloat thread to come as soon as I charge my camera :D But it came with Pachmayer grips which I know do not fit my hand well at all. But of course we can't resist a new toy so I brought along some ammo and stopped at my favourite indoor range on the way home. Sure enough the poor fit of the Pachmayers to MY hand resulted in some near blisters after only 18 to 20 rounds sent downrange. Yet due to the weight of the gun the actual felt recoil was very manageable. Just the grips don't fit me worth a hoot. The ones which fit me are the Hogue style. Either in the rubber monogrip or most, but not all, of their wood styles.

So by all means work out. Better health and muscle tone is never a bad thing. But at the same time see if you can try holding some different grips that allow the gun to fit more evenly within your grip. Try to feel for both pressure points as well as places with less pressure. The points of lower pressure are just as bad as the points of pressure concentration because the lower pressure lets the gun float too much in your grip and let's it hit the points of higher contact more strongly. You want a grip with as even a pressure from your hand all around. The sides included.

Rodentman
March 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
Loads of 10g Trail Boss with a 330g lead pill are very tolerable in the 4" 500. I prefer to limit the hot stuff to the 8.375" bbl.

There's a .475 Linebaugh used FA at my LGS..........

If you enjoyed reading about "What do I want after a 44 magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!