how to use someone's quote in a post, and private msgs

PDA

mingansr
March 20, 2012, 05:01 AM
other guys do it all the time, but i don't see a way to take a quote from someone's post and place it in my post so i can respond to a specific statement. in xdtalk.com i can click on a tab 'quote' or even 'multi' for several.
you have a great site.

also, any way to easily get a private message to another highroader, so i don't have to make my info public?

If you enjoyed reading about "how to use someone's quote in a post, and private msgs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
March 20, 2012, 05:14 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=143230

It was up in the stickies.

also, any way to easily get a private message to another highroader, so i don't have to make my info public?
Click their user name. A menu will appear or should, click "send a private message to xyz".

Madcap_Magician
March 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Thehighroad.org uses bb code.

To quote someone, enter the following:

*quoted material

To quote a specific person, use the following:

*quoted material

sage5907
March 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
I use a simple method. I just go up in the thread and highlight the portion I want to copy to my posting. Once the words are highlighted just do edit/copy and move to your posting and do edit/paste. When the words appear in your post add a parentheses to each end to indicate it's someone elses words. BW

Fred Fuller
March 21, 2012, 04:24 PM
i don't see a way to take a quote from someone's post and place it in my post so i can respond to a specific statement

I just highlight the part I want to quote by dragging the cursor over it, then EDIT-COPY and EDIT-PASTE into italics (the I in the toolbar just above the Reply message box, in between the B (to bold) and the U (to underline).

Sam1911
March 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
It basically all boils down to using these "tags:" and

Anything you put between those blocks or tags will end up appearing in a quote box.

You type: "What someone said."

You get:

What someone said.

To make it a little easier we have this button (http://images.thehighroad.org/editor/quote.gif) at the top of the reply window. Click that and it will put the into your sentence for you. Then highlight and copy whatever line you want to quote, and paste it between the blocks.

If you want to attribute the quote, you have to type and equals sign and the member's screen name like this:

What he said...

And it will come out as this: What he said...

mingansr
March 23, 2012, 01:35 AM
thanks to everyone for your ideas. it's helped.

i'm just not as savvy as i used to be on the computer. my grandkids are gonna pass Papa up in no time. life is good!

Elkins45
April 6, 2012, 08:27 AM
There's another way to do it that lets the software do most of the work for you, but you have to do it in the right order.

1) Click the reply with quote button in the lower right corner of the post you want to respond to.

2) Check the "Quote message in reply?" box at the bottom of the window.

3) Click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.

Once you click "Go Advanced" the entire quoted post will appear in the editing window with the tags already done. This is a very handy method when you want to quote only a part of someone's long response because you can snip out the irrelevant part of the quoted post.

If you enjoyed reading about "how to use someone's quote in a post, and private msgs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!