Is a BAR in .375 Taylor possible/advisable?

PDA

wombat13
March 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
The ongoing threads about proper rifle selection for big bear country got me thinking about this combo. The BAR is available in .338WM and the .375 Taylor is a wildcat based on the .338WM case that delivers the ballistics of the .375H&H.

Would it be possible to rechamber a .338WM BAR to .375 Taylor? Would the BAR be able to handle the recoil? The .338WM is fairly high pressure round, so it should be able to handle the pressures generated by the .375 Taylor, no?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a BAR in .375 Taylor possible/advisable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
March 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
I think the BAR would handle it just fine, but the .338 Winny has taken most dangerous game around the world, including Cape Buffalo, so I'm not sure it would be worth the effort really.

GooseGestapo
March 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ditto the above poster.
A better cartridge would be the .375Ruger. Essentially the .375 Taylor, but factory ammo available.

First the barrel would have to be rebored, or a new barrel fabricated. Then the chamber reamed to .375Ruger.

FWIW; I've got a collection of reformed .300WinMag brass that I expanded the neck and fire-formed in the .375Rug. chamber. Looks a little funny with the "coke bottle" effect ahead of the belt, but they work..... FWIW, the Case head of the .375Rug is the same as the belt of the .300WinMag/.338WinMag, and body of the .375Rug is same as belt diameter. Essentially, it is a .375RemUltMag shortened to function in a standard length action. Hence, the Ruger "Hawkeye" African and Alaskan. My rifle is the "Alaskan" w/23"bbl. The original owner took it to Africa in '10 and took various plains game including Cape Buffalo with it. So yes, it'll kill a bear that weighs 1/2 as much.....

I believe you'd do better to get a magnum Savage M110 and put a .375 barrel on it. The expense of reboring the BAR will be prohibitive..... I can see you putting 600-750.00 in such a conversion. Plus the cost of the rifle. Resale value of the rifle will be greatly deminished.

I'd just get the .338BAR if it's a BAR that you want.

wombat13
March 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the response, guys. This is mostly a daydream kind of project. What kind of project would be fun if I had an extra $2k laying around.

Would the sharper shoulder angle on the .375 Ruger (60 degrees vs. < 30 degrees for the H&H) make it less reliable in a semi-auto like the BAR?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is a BAR in .375 Taylor possible/advisable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!