PlayTheAces
February 13, 2004, 09:06 PM
Ran across this one and thought it was interesting:

Friday, February 13, 2004
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Bill would let veterans register trophy firearms

By CHRIZ MILLER
STEPHENS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Jim Gibbons, R-Nev., reintroduced a bill this week to allow military veterans to register firearms they brought home from war as trophies.

Gibbons said the bill would benefit veterans or their heirs who could face prison or fines for owning unregistered firearms, including those that could be considered relics.

The bill applies to guns the military allowed to be brought home by veterans who served overseas between 1934 and 1968. The military established tougher standards after that.

Veterans would be given 90 days' notice after the bill passed that they could register their guns without penalty and then another 90 days to register the firearms.

Under the National Firearms Act, unregistered guns owned by veterans are considered like any other unregistered firearm, with a maximum penalty for possession being a $250,000 fine and 10 years in federal prison.

The bill tells the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to turn over to museums any unregistered relic rifles that are confiscated from veterans.

Congress in 1968 granted veterans a 30-day amnesty to register guns acquired during service. a period that Gibbons called too short.

Link to article (http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Feb-13-Fri-2004/news/23213144.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA Amnesty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pinned&Recessed
February 13, 2004, 09:25 PM
While this would ROCK, I doubt it'll affect the Transferrable market enough to make MG prices affordable to me.:(

atek3
February 13, 2004, 09:30 PM
how bought a general amnesty, or god forbid repeal of NFA 34.

atek3

Hkmp5sd
February 13, 2004, 09:45 PM
Somehow, I don't think there are all that many pre-68 unregistered NFA military trophies still in circulation in the US. Just do away with that #$^#$#!!! '86 machinegun ban.

MicroBalrog
February 13, 2004, 09:50 PM
The bill applies to guns the military allowed to be brought home by
veterans who served overseas between 1934 and 1968

What about Iraq bringbacks?

4v50 Gary
February 13, 2004, 09:50 PM
See above post by HKMP5sd

Michigander
February 13, 2004, 10:52 PM
...considered like any other unregistered firearm, with a maximum penalty for possession being a $250,000 fine and 10 years in federal prison.

Oh my goodness!!! :eek: I better run right down and register my bolt-action .30-06!!! (at least that's how it sounds :confused: )

CleverNickname
February 13, 2004, 11:11 PM
Somehow, I don't think there are all that many pre-68 unregistered NFA military trophies still in circulation in the US. Just do away with that #$^#$#!!! '86 machinegun ban

While I wholeheartedly agree with removing the '86 ban, I think this bill also addresses another problem. Even if the ban were lifted, there's no provision for registering an unregistered machinegun. To get new machineguns in the registry, they'd all have to be built on form 1s or form 2s. That would mean that without an amnesty, if someone had a war trophy (as it's already manufactured) they'd have to de-mil it, and then weld the pieces back together to make a 'new' machinegun after getting approved. Sort of stupid to have to ruin an original gun by de-milling it.

freepatriot
March 12, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yuh.

Repeal the ridiculous '94 AWB.
Repeal the treasonous '86 Ban.
Repeal the ill-concieved '68 Ban.
Then top it off by repealing the illegal '34 Ban.

Someday...

If you enjoyed reading about "NFA Amnesty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!