Ad layout changes

PDA

Derek Zeanah
March 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
We've been running with a single leaderboard sized ad for a bit over a year now. I've run some tests and it appears our commercial sponsors would get a lot more value out of ads here if we swap to a different format, so I'll be swapping the sizes out.

We'll probably go from one ad to two side-by-side ads as well, since that's about as distracting as a single ad using the new, boxier format.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ad layout changes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryanxia
March 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
Darn. Out of all the forum layouts I've seen I liked THR the best.

243winxb
March 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
I hope its "Dial-Up" friendly.

AABEN
March 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
I like this better than the Dan Wesson and S&W. Please leve it like it is!

Tomcat47
March 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
I do Love the THR layout, however you guys have to do what you have to do! The ads Benefit THR!

Maybe an alternative idea will arise and be the best of both worlds?

Maybe throw up some samples and do a poll! But state that it will be changed to the winning format, but layout needs to be modified from original....?

texagun
March 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
Why "Fix It" is it's not broken? It works great just the way that it is.

ugaarguy
March 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Derek, If I'm reading between the lines correctly the ads will be in the same place. Instead of one short wide reactangle it'll be two slightly taller, closer to square, rectangles. These will take up slightly more height, but roughly the same width as the current single ad. So, twice the number of ads in the same place, taking up only slightly more space. Am I interpreting this right?

Ryanxia
March 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
We all recognize the fact that THR needs ads to maintain funding. This is life. Could we see a sample of the proposed layout before making a permanent switch? I don't think any of us mind ads, but the layout is the best it can be at the moment, and I think the users can provide the best options for maximizing ads and end user satisfaction.

Please don't take this layout lightly, many users leave online forums based on their layout, we can certainly optimize THR to maintain interface and incorporate the advertisements necessary to keep this great site operational.

Brian Williams
March 25, 2012, 02:15 AM
Am I interpreting this right?
yes

Ryanxia
March 26, 2012, 10:42 AM
My apologies, I misunderstood the original statement to mean our thread layouts would be going to this new format size. I see now that it's just the ads that are changing.
Lucky for us. :D

blarby
March 28, 2012, 01:03 AM
<nm, answered my own question>

I run modded chrome...just curious.

Derek Zeanah
April 4, 2012, 06:22 PM
OK, playing with ad delivery to guests now. Things may break momentarily, but I'm trying to be conscientious...

...and it looks like it's running just fine. Different (a bit bigger but to the right of the previous location so IMHO it's less obtrusive), but in the same spot.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ad layout changes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!