USFA Sheriff's Ejector Mod for 3.5" Barrel

PDA

MichaelB
March 21, 2012, 12:44 AM
I love the handling, pointing and hitting qualities of my USFA 3.5" Sheriff's Model, but the ejection suffers due to the short stroke, and the EJH must be removed to remove the base pin for detailed cleaning, a major pain that makes for lazy cleaning. I simply cut the ejector button with a round chainsaw tooth file, slowly, with lots of cut-and-try. I now have a very effective ejection stroke, and cylinder removal is a snap. Simple, and no major cosmetic effect to the revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "USFA Sheriff's Ejector Mod for 3.5" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigC
March 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
Not a good idea if you ask me. How often does one really need to remove the basepin? I'm primarily a single action shooter, own two dozen of them and shoot almost daily. I rarely have a need to completely remove a basepin.

Old Fuff
March 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
Some other makers do much the same thing on 3 1/2" with ejector models, and it does represent a solution to the problem. Personally I always remove the cylinder to clean the chambers after shooting. While I don't have a Sheriff's Model at the moment I do keep an I open looking for one without the ejector assembly. They are period correct and a short rod in the pocket takes care of case ejection. In fact if the chambers are polished there is a good chance that the fired cases will fall out if the revolver's muzzle is pointed up, and this is true regardless of barrel length.

MikeJackmin
March 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
Nice modification. It should have come from the factory that way.

Lovely revolver, too.

MichaelB
March 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
"Not a good idea"? Sorry - failure to clean, particularly after BP, is a bad idea. To each one's own.

CraigC
March 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
Blackpowder yes, smokeless no.

Cocked & Locked
March 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Clever modification very nicely done! I bet USFA wishes they had thought of that.

1KPerDay
March 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Nice work. Beautiful hogleg, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "USFA Sheriff's Ejector Mod for 3.5" Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!