Cured Bolt over Base feed

PDA

Sal1911A1
March 21, 2012, 01:55 AM
Hi All

I have a full size Kimber Custom II, In my range bag about 30 Checkmate Hybrid mags and Metalform wadcutter, 7 rounders all with wolf 11lbs extra power spring,

Installed EGW oversized firing pin stop which George was kind to bevel

23lbs mainspring new wolf 16lbs recoil spring.
mostly reloads win 231 5.1 +/- 1.255 230grn lrn
factory WWB, Federal, etc.

one out of a hundred rounds or less I would get a Bolt over base feed, now thanks to 1911 Tuner and this forum over time I switch to a Wolf 15lbs recoil spring.

Wow just a tad lighter recoil spring makes everything works great, no Bolt over base stops in thousands of rounds, every 1,500 I replace the spring.
Thanks Tuner

If you enjoyed reading about "Cured Bolt over Base feed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cyclopsshooter
March 21, 2012, 02:40 AM
Good to hear, wish I had heard that before I replaced all the springs in my 8rnd Colt mags.

The Lone Haranguer
March 21, 2012, 05:54 PM
IIRC, he has said that oversprung slides do contribute to BOBs. Apparently this is what was needed to put it over the top. :)

1911Tuner
March 21, 2012, 05:58 PM
It's unusual for too much spring to be the culprit...but it has happened. Most of the time, the 11-pound Wolff magazine springs cure it...but there just ain't any guarantees.

Sal1911A1
March 21, 2012, 07:17 PM
Yes thanks tuner, my wolf mag springs are 7 years old with some heavy use.
It may be time to give them a looksee. Thanks for all your help.

cyclopsshooter
March 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
The Wolf mag springs worked very well for me.

The Lone Haranguer
March 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
It's unusual for too much spring to be the culprit...but it has happened.
Take yes for an answer. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Cured Bolt over Base feed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!