New to reloading - rings on the brass

PDA

John_Q
March 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
I've been following the "I've got a bad feeling" thread. I was also not completely sure I didnt have any double loads so decided to pull all the rounds and start over. I didnt find any but am now 100% confident after re-reloading them.

During my reloading I found 2 pieces of brass with rings around them. Actually 1 has a ring around it (brass on the right) about just under half way down, but both have small dings near the bottom. I'm not sure if its that clear in the pic.

I"m going to throw the brass away, but both have primers loaded. What can I do to remove the primers? Should I try and remove them? If not what do I do with them?

If you enjoyed reading about "New to reloading - rings on the brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beatledog7
March 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
You can deprime them just as you would spent primers. Just be slow and smooth, and wear eye protection as you always should when working with primers. The removed primers can be reused.

Or, you can chamber them as is and fire them as "blank" rounds.

FROGO207
March 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
That sure looks like "Glocked" or bulged 40 S&W brass to me. That mark is where the sizer stopped due to the shell holder stopping the die from going lower. I also would not use the brass. I bet it would not drop in the chamber like that. As to the primers if you are careful and go slow you can deprime them and use the primers over. I have done it many times without any problems but just be sure to use hearing and eye protection in case it happens to go off. FWIW slow steady pressure should work OK as it takes a sharp blow to set off a primer. I have been reloading since the late 60's and never popped a primer yet in 100's of thousands of rounds unless I did it on purpose to see how much it would take. It really took a lot of force and a sharp blow to set one off for me. This includes using a series different Lee loaders to load several hundred rounds without incident.

John_Q
March 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks - I"ll give it a shot and de-prime it. Its a PMP 9mmP brass.

gamestalker
March 21, 2012, 11:11 AM
That appears to be the beginning of separation to me. Either way, I would toss that brass if it were me.

So far as depriming a case, just do it a bit slower than you might when resizing. I've deprimed a lot of cases over the years and have yet to have one go bang.

jcwit
March 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
The secret to removing live primers is to remove them with PRESSURE. Primers ignite from impact and not pressure. I also agree with FROGO207, it looks like brass fired in a Glock, and not knowing how hot or mild you load I'd suggest against firing.

GT1
March 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that brass is shot, literally and figuratively.

rcmodel
March 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm not at all sure from your picture you are seating the primers fully either.

The one on the left looks like it is sticking out, and the one on the right looks like there was never any pressure put on it to preload the anvil.

You might want to look into that too.

rc

tlen
March 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Do you have your sizing die adjusted down until it touches the shell plate/holder ? What make dies are you using ?

John_Q
March 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
I"ve got lee dies. I'll double check them.

I removed the primer - nice and easy - no problems. :) I"ll throw the brass.

FROGO207
March 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah not worth the trouble loading those one or two in case they might cause problems. Better to scrap them. I only have ended up with 5 Glocked 40 S&W so far and I have about 4K of brass that are range pickups set aside to reload.

jcwit
March 21, 2012, 11:24 PM
I concur FROGO207.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to reloading - rings on the brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!