Winchester Ranger Ammo?

PDA

Infidel4life11
March 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
So I picked 550rds of this up the other day for around $100. Went out shooting yesterday and noticed how hard it kicked. Then I went home and read the box LOL. Anyone else use this stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Ranger Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kimberkid
March 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
Yep ... It runs great in my MP5 clone

GCMkc
March 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
I've used it in many guns. 550rds for $100 is a steal. Super jealous :evil:

Formula94
March 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
What rounds did you get? I got a case of 500 rounds for like $239 at SGammo. They are 127gr +P+ so yes, they do have a bit more snap than the typical 115gr WWB ammo I usually practice with. That's why every few months I'll shoot a few mags of the rangers just to get used to it since its my daily carry.

340PD
March 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
Lots if it comes into our range and it all goes bang.

joeq
March 21, 2012, 06:04 PM
Just make sure your particular firearm is up to the task of shooting the +P+ rated ammunition. Otherwise, it's really good stuff.

TurtlePhish
March 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken (which I very well might be) this stuff is identical to that Black Talon ammo they used to sell, with different packaging and not-black bullets.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 11:39 PM
I haven't run a bunch of it, but what I have has worked fine in a couple of pistols.

ObsidianOne
March 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
Just make sure your particular firearm is up to the task of shooting the +P+ rated ammunition. Otherwise, it's really good stuff.

What guns have you found that were +P+ rated? As far as I'm aware +P+ isn't listed under SAAMI specifications so there aren't any guns that are made and certified as usable for those kinds of pressures.

Also, it should be noted that this stuff also comes in +P (not just +P+) and both FMJ and hollowpoint. We'd have to know what kind OP is talking about.

B!ngo
March 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
I guess I'd run it in my USP 9mm FS, but not in my P7M8. I can't afford to save that kind of $$ on ammo like this. The P7's are too pricey to replace.

Infidel4life11
March 23, 2012, 12:16 AM
It's their FMJ ammo not the SXT or Black talon twin. BTW if anyone has any Black Talons I would love a box or 5...... Just saying. This ranger ammo is pretty awesome for FMJ's my buddy wants me to keep it all and not shoot it and everybody else I talk to loves it. I bought it from a guy that had 11 50rd boxes of it.

El Chivato
April 8, 2012, 06:58 PM
My slide seems to run slow with this stuff. The pistol is a Springfield 1911. Anyone else notice this?

Jeff H
April 8, 2012, 09:20 PM
What guns have you found that were +P+ rated? As far as I'm aware +P+ isn't listed under SAAMI specifications so there aren't any guns that are made and certified as usable for those kinds of pressures.

I know it hasn't been stated by the OP so we really don't know what caliber this is for, but 38spec +P+ Ammo being sold as LEO ammo is fairly common. A +P+ gun for 38 spec would be a 357mag.

joeq
April 8, 2012, 09:47 PM
It says right on the box in his photo that the ammunition exceeds industry standards. I'm pretty sure his ammunition is +P+. I just wanted to make sure he was aware that his ammunition he picked up is probably pretty hot. For instance, I wouldn't want to run +P+ ammunition through my LC9. My boxes of Winchester Ranger T in 9mm +P don't say anything about the ammunition exceeding industry standards.

theautobahn
April 8, 2012, 10:16 PM
I know it hasn't been stated by the OP so we really don't know what caliber this is for, but 38spec +P+ Ammo being sold as LEO ammo is fairly common. A +P+ gun for 38 spec would be a 357mag.

Maybe I need to get out more, but I've never seen +P+ .38...??? I've only seen +P+ in 9mm. I run Federal 124 grain +P+ Hydrashocks in my Glock for carry, but only because I got a smoking deal on them. When I shoot through the little stock I have left, I'll probably switch to DPX or a 124 grain +P (although I wouldn't have a problem running the aforementioned 127 grain +P+ Rangers).

joeq
April 8, 2012, 10:33 PM
They do make +P+ 38 Special. Notice the box again says the ammo exceeds industry standards.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50rds-38-special-winchester-ranger-p-110gr-jhp-ra38110hp

T Bran
April 8, 2012, 10:36 PM
I got 4 or 5 boxes in .40 from a friend yes it is a bit hot but the Sig hasnt come apart yet. Funny thing is I never paid much attention to the boxes other than making sure it was factory .40 cal. Been using it for plinking as I have so much .40 ammo that when I head out just grabbing the top few boxes is a habit. Guess I need to read more than caliber and weight oops.
T

theautobahn
April 8, 2012, 10:49 PM
They do make +P+ 38 Special.

I guess I do need to get out more... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Ranger Ammo?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!