Got my brother interested!

PDA

Busyhands94
March 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
I went out to get my coffee this morning, thumbed through the latest 1st Freedom magazine that came free with my National Rifle Association membership, and sipped on a hot cup of coffee while drooling over a sexy looking .36 Colt they had. I left the magazine open, then went outside for a little while. About an hour later I come in and find Aaron had got up and left a note in my magazine.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMAG0005.jpg
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMAG0008.jpg
Sorry if I have the worst camera in the world, but it says "I'm not even a gun person, but that is the most beautiful gun I've ever seen"

I think I might have to find a nice looking .36 Colt Navy and a conversion cylinder, if he thinks this is pretty I might be able to get him out to the range for a little plinking session!

~Levi

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my brother interested!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
March 24, 2012, 08:51 PM
It is a nice gun......... Yep you need to get him shooting

BHP FAN
March 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
It's not a Remmie, but it's neat!

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 04:07 PM
Definitely! I'm thinking of getting a .36 Colt and a .38 conversion cylinder for it. The extractor I could probably make myself, and the gate I could cut as well.

I'm thinking .38 would be a good caliber for him, not too heavy. He was a little intimidated by my .44, he said it was too big and that he didn't like how loud it was.

I'm looking to find a use .36 Colt Navy, if anyone has one for sale I'm definitely interested! Just send me a PM!

Levi

Skinny 1950
March 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
The '51 Navy did it to me as well two years ago...had to have one..ordered it through a dealer then jumped through the hoops to get a license for it.
If you can get your brother out to the range for some experience with guns it could be the start of a new sport for him.

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
It sure would be great to get him shooting! I might give him a shotgun for his birthday as well as some blackpowder loaded brass shotgun shells. It's an old 16 guage Farwell Arms shotgun Pa' and I bought at that auction along with the other guns we got. I'm also thinking about giving him a Springfield Model 15 in .22 Long Rifle, that might be good for him if that shotgun is too big. Maybe I should get him a box of those Aguilla Super Colibri rounds, those are nice and quiet and I'm sure he'd love shooting them.

Levi

BHP FAN
March 25, 2012, 06:16 PM
A Spingfield .22 rifle is about the best present any youngster could ever get.

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
You are right, I think the boy needs his own firearm for many reasons.

He needs to grow up, right now he's interested in stand up comedy and puts that before school 90% of the time. When I got my first firearm my maturity doubled and I understood what it means to be an adult, I think he needs a rifle for that reason. I realized that I needed to get a good education, that I needed to get my school done, I needed to step up to the plate and get a job, and that going to college is a great opportunity. He'll get it once I give him his own rifle, I just know it!

Another reason is he's been feeling down lately, kinda antisocial. I'll bet you a steak dinner that if I give him that Springfield that he will spend more time shooting with the family. I love taking the family shooting, and him coming along makes it better. If I give him his own rifle then he will go shooting with us more, given I'd buy him his own ammunition and targets. I think I'll buy a brick of .22 short and a cleaning kit when I'm out tomorrow, there is a Big 5 next to my college that I could stop by and stock up on goodies for him.

I know that nothing but good will come from him owning a gun, it will help him grow up, make better decisions, and learn to handle the responsibility that comes along with firearm ownership. The Springfield Model 15 is one of the coolest .22s out there, I know kids his age that would give anything to have one.

You know, I might just give it to him before his birthday. He needs this rifle more than anything nowadays.

Levi

BHP FAN
March 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
You are a great brother... train him up right!

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thank you, it made my day to read that! I'm going to give him a rifle and teach him how to be a responsible young adult. I really wish my father did that when I was his age. I guess it's my turn to help him become a man. He's 15, it's about time he had his own firearm.

Any suggestions on how I should give it to him? I don't want to give him a big box of ammo until afterward, that would spoil it. But if I give him a rifle he'll probably just say that he's not much of a gun person. I might get him to get off the video games and take him shooting, that will be a challenge but if I can pull it off that would be the perfect time to give him his rifle.

I just asked him to see how the length of pull felt on that rifle, he says it feels good and comfortable. I'm kinda exited to give him his first firearm! This could lead to him becoming a gunny like me!

I'm going to talk to Pa' and Ma' and see if they are okay if I give him that rifle, then I'll buy the rifle from Pa' and give it to Aaron. I'll be sure to make sure they know how adult a firearm will make a young man, I'm pretty sure they will understand once I explain it to them.

Levi

Tallbald
March 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
Congratulations! Don

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
I figure I should post a picture of the gun I'm planning to give him. I think he's going to love it! I might even engrave his name on the barrel! That's a classic American boy's rifle. This is probably what many youngsters have started out with. It was made by Stevens for Springfield, it's about 70 years old but can still drive tacks. The trigger is nice and light too, it sure makes hitting stuff easier.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/IMAG0004-1.jpg

scrat
March 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
The stock looks really nice on that rifle

Busyhands94
March 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thank you! I love old guns!

Levi

BHP FAN
March 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
I'd take him shooting, and at the end of the session, then [depending on how the lesson goes] announce that he's going to getting it for his birthday.

Busyhands94
March 26, 2012, 02:15 AM
That's a great idea! I think I'll get my driver's license next week then go take him to shoot with me! First I need some cash to buy the rifle from Pa' but I could sell some stuff to make sure he gets that rifle. That's at the top of my list right now, making sure that gun doesn't get sold and that Aaron gets his own firearm to teach him the responsibility that a firearm should bring.

There is one small problem, he's not much of a gun person and I've been trying to get him hooked for a while now. I've been shooting guns for a long time now, I discovered blackpowder about the time I joined THR, I'm hopelessly addicted to shooting. If someone paid me 1000000 to give up shooting I'd say "hell no" and not even think about it. I smoke a pipe and drink tons of coffee. About 5 cups a day, and if I had to choose between smoking, coffee and guns (say I could only choose one) I'd choose guns. Give how much I like my nicotine and caffeine that is sure saying a lot. But the times I've taken him have been fun, he's a natural at this. He hits more than I do. But he says that he's "just not that much of a gun person" and I respect that, but I do want to try and get him hooked. Any ideas on how I could do that? He's really into video games, perhaps exploding targets? Scopes? Get him a 10/22 made to look like one of those ugly, black, and reliable rifles?

Either way I think he'll go shooting more often if I give him his own gun. He had a blast last time, I knew he enjoyed blowing stuff up and slinging lead with his brother. I just need to figure out how to get him to realize that he's a shooter. I see a great shooter in him, he just needs to see that shooter in himself.

Levi

BHP FAN
March 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
the humble soda can is a great shooter's aid. it's a reactive target, you get huge satisfaction knocking them down [even more when you clip the edge, and send them flying] and they can even be squashed flat and recycled afterwords!

1858remington
March 26, 2012, 03:53 AM
remember "It only takes a spark, to get a fire going".

Years ago I had an extra 1858 Remington that I sold to a buddy of mine.
I told him I would sell him the gun, teach him how to shoot it, and buy it back if he didn't like it.
Needless to say, once he pulled the trigger I was never getting the gun back.:D
Started him on his collection of BP firearms.

Busyhands94
March 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Well I guess I should give it to him, and tell him if he's not liking it that he can give it back. Either way it's a win-win situation. My brother takes up shooting or I get a quality rifle. I think he will like it once he starts slingin' lead and making noise.

I think I'll build him some reactive steel targets, I love shooting steel and so does everyone else in my family. The fact that he was hitting more than me makes it pretty clear that he's a shooter but just doesn't know it yet. And if all else fails I'll give him some blackpowder .22 Long Rifle or short, and perhaps his very own cased Colt revolver! I think he'd like that. I could build the case, line it with velvet, give him a mold, flask, capper, paper cartridges, ammo, some bricks off lead, and some caps. I bet that would do the trick! Especially if I antiqued it and engraved it really well to make it look pretty.

Levi

Busyhands94
March 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just bought him a big box of Winchester bulk! I've had good luck with Winchester .22 ammo! I'll try and get him out to the range this weekend to go shoot some .22s! He'll have fun, I know he will.

Levi

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my brother interested!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!