Not quite Ideal

PDA

squirrelbones
March 21, 2012, 06:05 PM
I bought the Lyman Ideal 38-55 sight-unseen. The tang sight was completely siezed. I had to take it apart and file the riser to make it function. The rifling was so shallow as to be almost non-existant. The Logo is poorly stamped and off-cem
nter in the butt plate.The firing pin transfer machanism broke after only 6 shots with Winchester factory ammo. I contacted Chiappa Firearms (Dayton, Ohio). They were actually very helpfull. They said there had been a batch of breech blocks/firing pin transfers that may have been immptoperly heat treated, resulting in excessive brittleness. They emailed me a UPS return label and I sent it back yesterday. I asked for a replacement rifle. I'll also replace the Lyman #2 tang sight with a windage-adjustable Marble's sight. A cool concept gun, but poorly executed for a 1500.00$ rifle. 14March2012 I'll comment later on the replacement rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Not quite Ideal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Not quite Ideal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!