$60 to ship a handgun!!!

PDA

Macchina
March 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
Just got back from the FedEx store (actual FedEx, not a second party) where they told me I had to ship a handgun Priority Overnight ($59.50 for a 2x5x8 box weighing .85 pounds). I am shipping a tiny TCP back to Taurus in Miami, FL.

I told her I thought I could send it anyway I wanted and she got her handbook which clearly says she's only allowed to ship it Priority Overnight. I believe I have to declare it as a firearm, so I can't just go in there and ship it without telling them I'm shipping a firearm.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or if I'm doing something wrong. I was told FedEx is the best way to ship a handgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "$60 to ship a handgun!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Macchina
March 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
I just read their rules (http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/fedex.aspx) and it looks like the handbook was right. I am not going to pay more than 25% the cost of the original gun just to have it MAYBE fixed. I guess I'm screwed...

Manson
March 21, 2012, 05:39 PM
I believe UPS does not accept firearms for shipment and yes Fedex insists on overnight. I'm not certain as to the reason. It may just be policy or possibly a requirement by law.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
UPS does allow shipment (http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html) of most firearms, but handguns are required to go next day air. Shipping handguns has become very expensive as of late. Not all that long ago I sent a medium sized revolver via UPS and it was over $70.

Macchina
March 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
This really bums me out. It's not unheard of to send in a gun a couple or few times before they figure out the problem. If that's true then I could easily spend the value of the gun before it's fixed.

PinoyInFL
March 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
I've never tried it myself but I've heard of some people having success with asking the receiving dealer/manufacturer send them a shipping label. Of course, you still pay for the shipping but it won't be the $60 overnight that UPS or Fedex requires of individuals. Ask Taurus. They may be able to help you.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
It's not unheard of to send in a gun a couple or few times before they figure out the problem. If that's true then I could easily spend the value of the gun before it's fixed.

It happened to me. I bought a brand new Marlin 1895 that simply would not cycle out of the box. Took two trips back to the factory to make it run right. Both times was on my dime.

btg3
March 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
$60 to ship a handgun!!!
Next you're gonna say you feel your 2A right has been infringed?
Me too!

CoRoMo
March 21, 2012, 05:54 PM
A local gunsmith might be able to resolve the pistol's issues for less than $60.

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
You can often find an FFL to ship it for less, as they have more shipping options.

Captains1911
March 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
You are not legally required to ship it this way, it is simply the carrier's policy.

mnrivrat
March 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
An FFL can ship it via USPS, so paying them perhaps $30 would save you a bunch and still give support to the local FFL.

steelerdude99
March 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
You are not legally required to ship it this way, it is simply the carrier's policy.

You are legally required to ship next day. As you are legally required to tell the shipper that there is a hand gun in the box … The shipper will then say it needs to be next day’ed. Have you asked if a FFL will ship it for you? FLLs may use USPS, where as non-FLLs can’t.

What bothers me is that at FEDEX and UPS want the shipments to go through quickly as so no one steals anything. Does that say that security is that bad that either employees (or others) can gain unsupervised access to shipments?

chuck

mbopp
March 21, 2012, 06:44 PM
I've heard (can't verify it though) that you can request Next Day - PM Delivery and it's a bit cheaper.

Oh, and the UPS and FedEx policies were implemented after they caught employees stealing guns.

whatever
March 21, 2012, 06:49 PM
It is fedex/UPS policy to ship next day...NOT federal law. If the carrier doesn't know it's a firearm, you can ship it however you want. If something happens to the package and it is lost/damaged, you will not get your $ though.

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
If the carrier doesn't know it's a firearm, you can ship it however you want.
As the law requires you to notify the carrier, how exactly does that work?

DoubleTapDrew
March 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
I'd call up Taurus first. I haven't dealt with returning a firearm to them, but other manufacturers have sent me prepaid (on their FedEx account) shipping labels to return firearms for warranty work, so there was no cash involved on my part.

The Lone Haranguer
March 21, 2012, 07:05 PM
Great business model. Require shipping by next day air, at substantial extra cost, to prevent a problem their own people cause. :rolleyes: At least it does arrive the next day.

In the numerous threads I've read about this subject, I don't read it that way, so long as the gun is going to a FFL or to the manufacturer for repair. The federal law and whether it is applicable is not the same as their internal policy. Did SIG-Sauer, when they shipped a handgun to me not once, but twice, break the law when they put "machine parts" on the label?

Captains1911
March 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Like i already said, The law does not require you to ship it any particular way.

Captains1911
March 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
You are legally required to ship next day. As you are legally required to tell the shipper that there is a hand gun in chuck

Wrong

Jorg Nysgerrig
March 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
In the numerous threads I've read about this subject, I don't read it that way, so long as the gun is going to a FFL or to the manufacturer for repair.
You may be right on that, although I've seen it mentioned both ways more times than I care to count. It seems according to 18 U.S.C. § 922 that the notification is only required when NOT going to an FFL.

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or
cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for
transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to
persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers,
licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other
container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without
written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is
being transported or shipped;
I don't know if there are any other laws that apply to that.

Did SIG-Sauer, when they shipped a handgun to me not once, but twice, break the law when they put "machine parts" on the label?
From what it says above, it seems that they did, if they didn't notify the carrier and you aren't licensed. :)

The Lone Haranguer
March 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
I think I mis-remembered or mis-stated that. Actually, it was on shipping labels that they e-mailed to me, for the purpose of shipping the gun to them.

Salty1
March 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
If you push the manufacturere hard enough you can get a pre-paid shipping label from them, the only exception I have experienced is with Diamondback. If you bought from a local dealer give them a call they may work with you on this, if one of our customers had this experience we would ship the handgun back for them at actual costs with no FFL fee.

wojownik
March 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
A friend of mine worked for one of the major carriers, once upon a time on a truck, and returned to work for corporate some years later after he got his degree. Talking about this with him, it's pretty clear that the carriers insist on express/next day delivery not for any legal requirement per se, but they do simply want to minimize the amount of time a firearm is in their possession.

The less time in their hands, the less time there is for a package to get mislaid or otherwise "disappear" or something else "bad" happen. It's an attempt to minimize their exposure/liability. And, sad to say, I heard many stories over a beer about the unintended fates of interesting looking packages.

wally
March 21, 2012, 08:04 PM
This worked for me once: I went in late Friday afternoon past the next day deadline so they couldn't charge me for next day service that they couldn't offer. Cost ~$26 instead of ~$60. Worth a try!

But the best way is to have the manufacturer send you a return label. S&W is very good about this as was Kel-tec with my RFB. EAA wouldn'd consider it even when I offered to pay what it would cost them. I wasted $60 returning my Chiappa 1911-22 and they didn't fix it, so I feel your pain!

oneounceload
March 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
I worked a summer at a UPS sort facility when I taught school. Having a FFL at the time, I recognized who J&S, Davidson's, RSR and the other companies were as there handguns came through the facility via regular ground. There was NO way a facility person could steal a gun as we were checked in and out through a guard shack and metal detector. The only way a gun could come into the facility or go out was on a truck. Unfortunately, they started having losses that became expensive to pay and had the potential to leave them open as a deep pocket company to further lawsuits for a stolen gun being used in a crime on the street - that is the simple reason for these procedures

Can you ship it cheaper? Sure, find a FFL and he can use USPS.

OP, I am surprised Taurus, who brags about their lifetime warranty, didn't send you a shipping label. S&W did that for me without question.

If you want to hear a horror story, a friend bought a "boutique" shotgun from a small Italian maker - over $30K new. It had several issues and required him shipping it back to Italy 4 times on his cost - at $750 per trip - that's $3,000 to fix their problems. While beautiful, and now working, he doesn't trust it enough to use in competition so it sits in his safe

youngda9
March 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Sounds like it might fit in a USPS flat rate box.

Mike Sr.
March 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
alot info here is not comprehensive enough................. contact me PM

Mike Sr.
March 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Jorg that is only part of the issue...the other side of the coin on your posted info

BY FED LAW THE PACKAGE CAN NOT be ID'd as a firearm on the packaging !!!!!!!!!

johns gun shop should be JGS.

AS for over nite shipping of a gun...OP you need to PM me...the presented info is lacking......... .

The Lone Haranguer
March 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
It would, but ...
Sounds like it might fit in a USPS flat rate box.
You (collective) must have a FFL to send a handgun through the mail. There is no ambiguity in the law on this. It is perfectly OK, however, to pay a FFL to mail it. And you can mail parts of a firearm other than the frame/receiver.

Mike Sr.
March 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
""You (collective) must have a FFL to send a handgun through the mail. There is no ambiguity in the law on this. It is perfectly OK, however, to pay a FFL to mail it. ""

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

BSA1
March 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
I know from personal experience of several big gun wholesalers (you can find there full page ads in Shotgun News) that ship handguns regular ground.

Say what you want but I find it unbelievable that wholesalers that ship dozens of handguns a week would run the risk of breaking the law.

oneounceload
March 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
I know from personal experience of several big gun wholesalers (you can find there full page ads in Shotgun News) that ship handguns regular ground.

Say what you want but I find it unbelievable that wholesalers that ship dozens of handguns a week would run the risk of breaking the law.

They're not - they have FFLs and are legally allowed to do so. Folks without the FFL cannot ship a handgun via USPS, long guns, yes, handguns, no

S&W uses Fedex two day delivery via contract - the cheapest air method

jad0110
March 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
A local gunsmith might be able to resolve the pistol's issues for less than $60.

I wholeheartedly agree. Given my own lousy CS experience with Taurus, I find their lifetime warranty to be nearly worthless (not only did they not fix the gun, they actually messed it up even more). If you can find a knowledgeable local smith to fix it for under $100, I'd do that in a heartbeat. If my Taurus 431 ever needs work, that would be my plan.

Barring that, paying an FFL to send it USPS seems to be your next best option. I've never heard of Taurus agreeing to pay shipping to their facility.

What kind of problem are you experiencing exactly? Maybe some here kind diagnose the problem and you could perhaps fix it yourself. Worth a try anyway.

gym
March 21, 2012, 08:48 PM
That's the only way its can be done by a non dealer, it has to go fedex overnight in FL

zxcvbob
March 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
If you bought it from a local dealer, he might be willing to mail it back for cost.

Or you can ship it UPS Ground service at the local UPS Service Center counter (not Mailbox Express, etc) for about $6. Don't tell them what's inside and don't declare the package over $100 value. If UPS loses it you'll be out of luck, OTOH it's just a Taurus and a relatively inexpensive one at that.

When I realized my new Taurus was defective, I took it to a local gunsmith and paid to have it fixed. Probably cheaper in the long run that way.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
Don't tell them what's inside and don't declare the package over $100 value.

Bad idea:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30] (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html)

sedona
March 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
Appreciate the information

zxcvbob
March 21, 2012, 09:25 PM
Swing, wherever you copied that info, (I suspect it's a government FAQ page) it's wrong. You do not have to inform the carrier when shipping to a licensee, nor to any non-prohibited person residing in your own state.

I don't expect you to believe me; look up the actual statutes and read them for yourself.

RickMD
March 21, 2012, 09:26 PM
I once had a Browning Hi-Power customized by a well know pistol smith in the southwest. When I asked him how to ship it he told me to disassemble it and claim the contents were "precision machine parts". FedEx never questioned it and I assume he did it routinely with all his customers.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
Deleted.

zxcvbob
March 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
You highlighted the wrong part. (someone else wanna show him?)

22-rimfire
March 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
If you have a fair relationship with a FFL, have them ship it USPS insured and give the dealer $20 for his trouble. You're still saving money.

I ship a lot of 2lb packages next day FedEx (morning delivery) and I pay as much as $80 to ship.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 09:39 PM

Changed as I can see how it could be interpreted either way. Still, the fact its on their site ("http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html") indicates how they view it. I wonder if there is any case law on it?

dogtown tom
March 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
With literally DOZENS (if not hundreds) of THR threads on this topic.........why the heck is there so much bad information being given out?:scrutiny:

NavyLCDR
March 21, 2012, 09:47 PM

I will. The BATF themselves say that when shipping to an FFL or within the same state, no notification to the shipper is required. Their website FAQ is simply in error...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1034/batfn.jpg

NavyLCDR
March 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
Jorg that is only part of the issue...the other side of the coin on your posted info

Not exactly what is prohibited by 18 USC 922 (e). 18 USC 922 (e) only prohibits the CARRIER from marking the package to indicate it contains a firearm. 18 USC 922 (e) contains no prohibitions regarding addresses or markings that the sender places on the package:

No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
Interesting letter above. Curiously, its not just the FAQ, but it also appears in the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf) (page 177).

NavyLCDR
March 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
Interesting letter above. Curiously, its not just the FAQ, but it also appears in the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf) (page 177).

Which is nothing more than a reprint of the exact same FAQ.

forestdavegump
March 21, 2012, 11:06 PM
Sent a pistol in to Ruger, as per their instructions for a transfer bar kit install on an older revolver. They sent me out the box to ship it in, I had to pay around $50 bucks to send it in, and they sent it back at no charge. Not to mention, they cleaned everything, installed the kit, gave me two new cylinders as the .22mag cylinder was rusty? They replaced all the screws with new and sent me all the old parts too. It was sent back in less than a week.

Swing
March 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
Not bad, forestdavegump. I didn't receive squat from Marlin. ;)

dogtown tom
March 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Federal law allows ANYONE to ship a firearm. (Your state law may differ)
What is below is what is allowed by Federal law.

What is a firearm?
Well, its both the complete firearm and the frame or receiver of a disassembled firearm. It's internet myth that a disassembled firearm magically loses its legal status when field stripped. Whoever promotes or repeats the myth that it is "just machine parts" is a complete and total idiot and should never be consulted about firearms again....because that is contrary to Federal law. (not to mention common sense)

Who can you ship to?
All interstate shipments of firearms must be addressed to a licensed firearms dealer (often called an FFL). The exceptions are:
1. when you ship to yourself at an address in another state and
2. the return of a firearm you sent to a manufacturer to be repaired.

Federal law allows you to ship a firearm to a resident of the same state (intrastate) as long as you have no reason to believe that the recepient is a prohibited person.

How do I know the recepient is a licensed dealer?There is no requirement for a nonlicensee (mere mortals) to have an actual copy of the receiving dealers FFL. You can verify that the recepient is a dealer through the ATF FFL EZcheck. (When FFL's ship we are required to have a copy of the receiving dealers license before we can ship)

Be aware that some dealers refuse to accept shipments from nonlicensees as their personal business policy. Usually this is because they are terrified that the package will arrive with an RPG inside and no information as to who shipped it. Although it is not required by law, it is common courtesy to include a copy of your drivers license (for nonlicensees) or a copy of your FFL (for dealers). Dealers are required to record the identity of the person from they received the firearm from.....and a DL or FFL makes this easy. If you refuse to comply with the request for a DL or FFL.....then don't ship the gun. As evidenced by recent threads, the dealer may refuse to accept the package or delay the transfer to the buyer until he has the documents he requested.

Newspaper is for dolts:cuss:, pros use bubble wrap:D
When you prepare your firearm for shipment, avoid newspaper like the plague. It crushes easily, provides little protective value and if wadded tightly....weighs a ton and weight adds $$$$ to your shipping costs.

A good rule of thumb is to package the gun as if it were a prized family heirloom. Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer.....who deserves to get the gun as depicted in the auction/WTS forum, etc

I've received guns wrapped in newspaper, vinyl float tubes, foam mattresses, Saran Wrap, plastic WalMart bags, baby diapers, bath towels.....obviously the shipper does not know the physical nature of package delivery or they just flat dont care whether the gun arrives in one piece. If your shipment is damaged, both UPS and FedEx will deny claims if you do not use PROPER packing materials (and newspaper is not one of them;)).

Where do i get cheap packing materials?
Try a gun store. They will have loads of excellent USED packing materials: bubble wrap, packing peanuts, kraft paper, air pillows, etc.

As far as packaging, the only Federal law you need to be aware of is identifying the contents as a "firearm"...........DON'T! This means you cannot mark "Fragile...EXPENSIVE GUN INSIDE" on the outside of the box. It also means you don't ship that Remington 700 in the factory cardboard box that has a giant REMINGTON in big green letters on the outside. (this is secret code for STEAL ME NOW) Simply slide the factory box inside another cardboard box. UPS and FedEx will not accept boxes with paper wrappers, although the USPS will.......but don't do it. Your label can easily be torn off.

Where do I get a cardboard box big enough to ship a rifle/shotgun?
Again, try a gun store. I throw out (into my Al Gore recycle bin) cardboard boxes every day. I always have extras stored in my garage. If you are shipping a $1,000 rifle or shotgun don't go get all frugal and jam that gun in a box you handmade from fifteen free UPS boxes that you taped together with duct tape......consider spending $10-15 on a plastic Plano or Dosko hard case. Consider removing the barrel from shotguns, as a short box is more rigid than a long box and that is better.

So, where can I ship my firearm?
USPS- will accept rifles and shotguns from ANYONE. Handguns and other firearms like frames, receivers, AR lowers are not mailable unless you are a licensed dealer or manufacturer. Even holders of an 03FFL "Collector of Curios & Relics" cannot mail or recieve by mail, a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.

There is no requirement to notify USPS that you are shippping a rifle or shotgun. There are no forms to give them, you do not need to show them the FFL of the receiving dealer.

The ONLY persons REQUIRED to notify USPS that they are shipping a firearms are licensed dealers and manufacturers....and then only when shipping a handgun. If you are not a dealer and are asked to sign a Form 1508......don't do it! You would be falsifying a Federal document and the USPS clerk who asked you to do so is an idiot.

UPS- Will accept firearms from ANYONE as long as you follow their firearm shipping policies: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=3&srch_phr=handgun
In short, You cannot ship firearms from a UPS Store, or third party retailer....you have to ship from a UPS Service Center. UPS policy says you must notify them that you are shipping a firearm. Federal law only requires notification if you are shipping interstate to a nonlicensee. Generally thats a Federal crime:D (You can ship a firearm to yourself in another state...but only you can ship it and only you can open it)

UPS allows rifles and shotguns to go "Ground". Handguns must go "Next Day". if you choose to ignore UPS policies expect to get nada on any insurance claim for loss, damage or theft.

FedEx-Will accept firearms from ANYONE as long as you follow their firearm shipping policies:http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/
FedEx has changed their firearms policies three times in the last year. It appears that you can still ship from ANY FedEx Office location.

FedEx allows rifles and shotguns to go "Ground". Handguns must go "Priority Overnight". If you choose to ignore FedEx policies expect to get nada on any insurance claim for loss, damage or theft.
FedEx requires you notify them when you are shipping a firearm.

It's in a box, what do I do now?
Go to USPS.com, UPS.com and Fedex.com and compare rates!
You'll need to know the weight, box dimensions and destination zip code to get a price.

You can then:
Take it to the carrier or post office and pay at the counter OR..............better yet, pay for and print a shipping label from home. This is CHEAPER than doing it at the post office.

My recommendations:
USPS- ALWAYS go Priority Mail with Insurance for FULL VALUE and Signature Confirmation. "Parcel Post" is cheaper but takes MUCH longer to get to the destination........the longer its in transit, the more opportunity to get lost, damaged or stolen. To me it isn't worth the small difference in price.
As no notification is EVER required at USPS.....they are the option with the smallest hassle factor.

UPS/FedEx- For rifles and shotguns I use UPS or FedEx Ground.....its usually cheaper than USPS Priority Mail and they offer true "tracking". Again, get insurance for the full value and signature confirmation. NOTE:USC 478.31 (d) "No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm" What does this mean? You pay for Signature Confirmation.

Hey! UPS & FedEx want to charge me $60 to ship a handgun!
Then don't do it;).
Find a local dealer who will ship it for you.......via USPS Priority Mail. Handguns that will fit in a USPS medium Flat Rate Box with $1000 worth of insurance and Signature Confirmation ships for less than $27. If the dealer tacks on a reasonable fee (I charge $10) then you pay almost half of what you would pay if you did it yourself......and the receiving dealer won't pitch a hissy fit because you forgot to enclose your drivers license.:D

230RN
March 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
"Schoolteachers?"

Well, somebody had to ask.

Terry "Straight line deliverer extraordinaire," 230RN

dogtown tom
March 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
230RN "Schoolteachers?"
I ar wun.;)

BSA1
March 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
They're not - they have FFLs and are legally allowed to do so. Folks without the FFL cannot ship a handgun via USPS, long guns, yes, handguns, no

S&W uses Fedex two day delivery via contract - the cheapest air method

I sorry I wasn't clear. They use UPS and Fed-Ex regular ground,NOT USPS.

Mike Sr.
March 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
As pointed out by Navy LCDR and correctly so:
"Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Sr.

Not exactly what is prohibited by 18 USC 922 (e). 18 USC 922 (e) only prohibits the CARRIER from marking the package to indicate it contains a firearm. 18 USC 922 (e) contains no prohibitions regarding addresses or markings that the sender places on the package:
=====================================================

The sentence preceeding "johns gun shop should be JGS." did not reference FED LAW{FL} I offered it as a guide line! Had I wanted to connect that sentence to FL I would have written it differently.

Example: "BY FED LAW THE PACKAGE CAN NOT be ID'd as a firearm on the packaging : "johns gun shop should be JGS. ".

Sorry for the confusion!

JohnBT
March 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
"If you bought it from a local dealer, he might be willing to mail it back for cost."

If you're a regular customer they do it for free. :)

Sniper66
March 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
A question: Has anyone out there tried the USPS recently to ship a gun? It has been 20 or so years ago, but I mailed a rifle to a friend in another state and the requirement then was that I take it to the Post Office, show them that the bolt was out of it and wrapped separately, then I boxed it up and shipped it. No extra charges. Of course I insured it. Recently, however, I tried to ship a bolt to the manufacturer for repair, mind you it was just a bolt, but UPS gave me a lot of grief, so I went to the USPS and shipped it with no problem at all.

dogtown tom
March 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Sniper66 A question: Has anyone out there tried the USPS recently to ship a gun?
I do it 2-3 times each week. See my post above.

It has been 20 or so years ago, but I mailed a rifle to a friend in another state and the requirement then was that I take it to the Post Office, show them that the bolt was out of it and wrapped separately, then I boxed it up and shipped it. No extra charges. Of course I insured it. It has never been a USPS requirement to remove the bolt...only that the gun be unloaded. (and you have no reason to tell them you are shipping a rifle or shotgun...its not required to do so)

Recently, however, I tried to ship a bolt to the manufacturer for repair, mind you it was just a bolt, but UPS gave me a lot of grief, so I went to the USPS and shipped it with no problem at all.
Again, why are you telling them whats in the box?
UPS policy only requires notification when shipping a firearm....and the bolt isn't a firearm. Notification is not required when shipping any part of the firearm except for the frame or receiver......which ARE firearms.

MilsurpShooter
March 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well crap, shipping my rifle back to Savage just got more complicated, glad I found this thread though lol

If you enjoyed reading about "$60 to ship a handgun!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!