I have decided-almost

PDA

Rugerspyderon
March 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
For my first non 22lr rifle I am going with .308 Ruger Mini 30 or the American rifle in .308. I am leaning toward the American Rifle to have money for good optic. Can anyone help me find an American Rifle? Just PM me. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I have decided-almost" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
imac98374
March 21, 2012, 08:41 PM
The mini 30 comes in 7.62 x 39, the old soviet round, not 7.62 x 51 (.308 Winchester.) Choose the purpose for the rifle, pick the more suitable cartridge, then the rifle decision will already be made for you!

firesky101
March 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
Good luck with the American rifle, everywhere I have seen have been back ordered. Ruger says they have shipped, but all the FFL's I have talked to have said their distributor told them nothing till May. ( I know I know "he said that he said") still "hearsay and conjecture are types of evidence" -Lionel Hutz

juk
March 22, 2012, 01:42 AM
A store down here has a whole stack of the Americans is all of the offered calibers. They've had them for at least a month. 330 Dollars a pop. I was going to buy one, but the rifle is pretty small and the stock fits me all kinds of wrong.

Rugerspyderon
March 22, 2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks but I think I do want the American in .308 so if anybody knows where I might find one, I would appreciate a PM with the name and location or phone of the dealer.

I don't expect to become a long gun or hunting expert but I want to dip my toe in. I want to be prepared when a friend invites me down south, out west or right at home. Otherwise, I like my handguns, apple products, movies, politics and family.

Thanks again for your help.

JimBoIHN
March 22, 2012, 06:23 PM
Don't let your wife see she's number 5!

juk
March 22, 2012, 07:11 PM
I sent you a PM. If you need any more info, let me know and I will do my best to get it for you.

Rugerspyderon
March 22, 2012, 08:14 PM
I guess you are joking. I don't see a message .

firesky101
March 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
I talked to another dealer today, their distributor told them that the American rifle has obligations before they can get them out to general distribution. Ruger offered them as a promotion like buy 10 10/22's and get an American, those have to be fulfilled first.

chad1043
March 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Have you looked at the Savage Axis? I have heard good things about it and it is right around the price of the American. Probably cheaper.

Rugerspyderon
March 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
I kind of want to stay with Ruger. I am in no hurry. I have a $300 tuning bill on a CZ due next week. If I come across one I will buy it though. I am amazed at all the advertising for the American Rifle yet lack of availability.

451 Detonics
March 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hadn't even heard of the American Rifle till now...I went and looked and left saddened by what I saw. Weaver mounts on a Ruger bolt action? I shudder to think what else they did to cut corners to make a cheap rifle...

I think many folks catch "gottahaveitnowitis" and settle for the cheapest rather than saving for a bit longer and buying a better gun...and most end up taking a loss on the cheap gun when they decide they would rather have something better. Just from looking at the OP I would think you would be better served saving up for the Ruger Scout.

Weaver scope mounts....really?

dom1104
March 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
The Edge is a POS too.

Dunno. People seem to be happy with crap more and more these days.

NeuseRvrRat
March 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
some folks don't demand as much of their rifles as others.

these cheap rifles are a good buy for a hunter who just wants to put meat on the table for cheap or a new shooter on a budget. nothing wrong with that.

a cheap rifle is better than no rifle, imo.

jmr40
March 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
There are several problems with buying the ultra-cheap rifles. While most shoot well enough when new, the long term prospects are not as good.

Generally the price difference between the budget rifles will pay for only a couple of boxes of good ammo. By the time you get it zeroed, practice a bit and hunt 1 season you have used up your savings that could have gone toward a much better rifle. Think about that 10 years from now.

Generally you can pay $50-$100 more and get a rifle that will increase in value over time and one that you will pass on to your grandkids. The ultra-cheap guns lose about 50% or more of value the minute you walk out the door and only go down in value from there.

In the long term one of the better rifles is cheaper.

Kachok
March 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Don't let people downplay the value rifles too much, I don't own a rifle that I paid more then $500 for and they perform better then some high end guns I have owned, sure they are not as pretty, but they fill the freezer all the same, and while I cannot vouch for the Ruger American since nobody here carries them yet, I can tell you that I have had ZERO issues with my Tikka and Savages, I have come to expect sub moa perfromance from these guns which is more then enough for any rational hunting situation. If you are looking for a hunting rifle I would shy away from the Ruger Mini 30, yes I know they tweeked this and that to make it more accurate then the old ones but they still don't impress me, and the 7.62x39 is nowhere near the hunting cartrage the 308 is. I don't know why all the fuss over resale value, I never lost my shirt over a bargin gun, but I usualy end up buying them on clearence and selling them to friends and not to pawn shops. Now if you by some chance are willing to save up a few extra bucks there are some rifles that are attractive and highly accurate, Browning and Winchester make some nice looking guns in the $700 range and by all accounts they shoot like a dream, I just cannot justify spending that since I get such solid performance and reliability out of $300 rifles :D

firesky101
March 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Wow lots of hate, I would only suggest you look at reviews of rifles before bashing. Not everyone is a blue steel and walnut crowd, and I can't complain about 1 MOA with off the shelf non premium ammo.

Kachok
March 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
BTW not to take you away from the Ruger American, but before you buy check out a T3 first, some people are turned off by they synthetic everything aspect, but that is the smoothest action and and best trigger on the market bar none, and the barrel is from Sako so you know accuracy is top notch. Mine will shoot .6-.8" groups all day with cheap bulk Prvi ammo. The Tikka gives you alot of the refinment of the higher end guns just without the pollished look of Grade A walnut. I don't let the "plastic" (which is really a fiber/matrix composite no molded injection) bother me because I can tell you from first hand experence that is some tough stuff, and call me crazy but I really like the way my T3 stainless looks even if everyone thinks I am plum crazy.

451 Detonics
March 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
Not hate so much as I have to wonder what other corner were cut to make the rifle that much cheaper than the 77. Obviously drilling and tapping is cheaper than milling the receiver for the signature Ruger rings for example. It is very difficult to lower costs without lowering quality, usually it is done by using cheaper components. Savage did it with synthetic stocks, mat finishes, but kept one of the best barrels available on a factory rifle, they are inexpensive but the most important component when it comes to accuracy was retained thus their rep for accuracy.

I simply would not expect the American to be of the same quality as the 77. I understand that cheap isn't always a synonym for badly made but I would rather pay the extra if possible and have the better quality rifle.

Rugerspyderon
March 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
I ordered the American Rifle in 30 06. I should have it by Friday..

Thanks

coalman
March 24, 2012, 12:55 AM
If you are eyeing a Mini 30 to shoot cheap 7.62x39 keep in mind some won't pop harder surplus primers. Otherwise, I think a Ruger Mini in either caliber is a great "American" platform.

juk
March 25, 2012, 01:01 AM
The American rifles are nothing like the M77 line. The Americans do not use a Mauser type action, the barrels use a barrel nut similar to a Savage, and they don't use the proprietary ring/mount system.

It is an inexpensive rifle, and that's alright. I still may get one. I don't need an expensive rifle with expensive glass to shoot deer. I, like most people, would buy the American and throw a decent scope on there, sight it in, and pretty much only take it out to confirm zero and try to shoot an animal. For its intended uses and market, I think the American will do very well. Ruger didn't skimp on the stuff that really mattered.

Kachok
March 25, 2012, 01:47 AM
The barrel nut head spacing is a cleaver little way to make very exact headspaceing with minimal cost. Savage has been doing that so long that they have elevated the cheap rifle to an art form. Combine that with a bedding block and free-floated barrel (also like the Savage) and you have alot of potential for solid performance at an el-chepo price. I am looking forward to someone around here carrying them, if they look well built and feel good I'll snatch one up at that kind of money. I figure since they stole 99% of the design from Savage and the other 1% from Browning if is it half as accurate as either should make for one hella fine rifle for the money.

Rugerspyderon
March 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
Very educational discussion. Well, I look forward to it coming in. Now it is time to start researching low power optics for it. I will use my Vortex sparc or strikefire for now.

Double Vision
March 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an American in .308.

68wj
March 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think the American is an ugly rifle. That is coming from someone who loves his Ruger 77 boat-paddle. :neener:

I do like the new (to Ruger) mounts instead of the proprietary versions. You now have near limitless options when shopping for rings, and they will cost less and work just as good.

I also like the barrel system. Hopefully it enhances the aftermarket industry that Savage has and users can have more say in what barrel they use on their platform.

Rugerspyderon
April 3, 2012, 12:53 AM
Got my rifle. It is very light. My FFL guy said this 30 06 will knock me into the next county. I admit, when I purchased the bullets, I thought, what have I done? Then I read more about the 30 06 and how much it is loved by hunters and has been for years. I also thought, people whine about the LCR, LCP stinging and not being easy to shoot and polymer 9mm not matching steel ones and that is all has not computed for me. So, I picked up 150 grn ammo and decided to try it at 50 yards. Oh, I put my Vortex SPARC on the foremost position.

I braced myself and (oh used bore laser to zero red dot indoors at 20 yards) wham! It surprised me but I was on paper (12 inches). The bolt is really smooth. Next shot was within 6 inches (no bench). This is my first time firing a non-10/22 rifle. From there i remained within 6 inches 8 shots. I moved to the 100 range and stayed off hand within 8 inches with first 4 and the next four was within 4 inches. I think that is pretty good for a guy with no real rifle experience. I do have good trigger skills and practice racking bolt and holding rifle at home because it does get heavy. My red dot is 2 moa and pretty bright. I pretty much hit within the red dot area. The gun is accurate and I am going to really love it when I get better and buy some low recoil 30 06 and ultimately reload my own. I will get the dies maybe this summer when I get up to 100 or so shells. For now, I will practice dry fire and 10 to 20 shots every couple weeks.

I am a hand gun guy for now and cannot wait to get my CZ Phantom back from Cajun Gunworks for full action and trigger job. Also, my SR 1911 needs more time with my hand loads, etc. Oh, I think the 10/22 has helped me prep for a real rifle. I will shoot that more.

So far as this being cheap. I bet I could hut hog and deer with this by the time I get training and a good scope. Besides, I have purchase 9 guns and 10 Spydercos in 2 years, not counting holsters, ammo, reloading stuff, red dots and etc., sent a kids to University, got two others in private school, leave to visit brother in Europe in a month and maintain house. I believe my priorities are working out for me. Some day I will add a classic shotgun to the brake action 20 gauge I got from dad when I was a kid. Then, I will decide what gives me the most pleasure and go big-1911, rifle shotgun, rifle, optic or Gunsite and go big.

That is how I roll. I thank those that recommended this nice value American Rifle. Oh, I am a Ruger guy so that fit. Thanks Juk for telling me where to find it because is is not readily available. Though I would likely have preferred a .308, I will like this. Maybe my first real semi-auto rifle will be the mini 14 or 30, unless I decide to stay with my lone bolt and 10/22. Stay tuned.

firesky101
April 3, 2012, 01:06 AM
I am jealous to say the least. At least you did not get a .308, I have had an order out on one for months now, and have yet to see one anywhere in .308.

Rugerspyderon
April 3, 2012, 08:27 AM
I called Ruger and they said they are out there but I have not heard anybody comment on one and have not seen any reviews of the .308 American Rifle.

juk
April 5, 2012, 01:17 AM
Glad I could lend a hand, spyderon.

If you enjoyed reading about "I have decided-almost" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!