gun not reported that it was retrievedby police ?

PDA

sasha56301
March 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
i reported a gun stolen in 2002 supplied all the info on it-
in 2011 i asked a small police dept to run a check-it came back recovered
but wasnt put in the system as being stolen?-***?-
can someone explain to me?-whats wrong with this picture?-

:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "gun not reported that it was retrievedby police ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
March 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
A lot of things can happen in 9 years. Heck, if you asked the PD in 2011 why did you wait 3 months to post about it here?

Jeff H
March 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
why did you wait 3 months to post about it here?

and as your 1st post???

mnrivrat
March 21, 2012, 10:46 PM
Not realy surprised. Recovery of property is generaly not a high priority for many LE agencies.

Hunterdad
March 22, 2012, 06:24 AM
Another one that smells phishy....

Carl N. Brown
March 22, 2012, 06:44 AM
Back in the 1960s and 1970s, reporting stolen guns to NCIC* used to be seen as a public duty and a good way to get a stolen gun returned if it wasn't kept as evidence (according to Wright&Rossi 1983 most stolen guns are fenced like TVs and VCRs for money and don't get used in crime anyway).

Stolen goods recovered should be run against the NCIC and returned to the owner, to encourage reporting of stolen goods. Does anyone think a jurisdiction like New York City would return a stolen gun to its rightful owner? Non-return discourages reporting.

* NCIC see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCIC

lemaymiami
March 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
As a guy that used to run a police department's property room for a three year period... Contacting owners about the recovery of any stolen item was part of the job. For most items (if you could indeed I.D. an owner.. many items you knew were stolen couldn't be connected with any victim) the stolen message contained all the info needed to make contact. We also had a standard post card that went to the last known address as well. Thirty days later, if there was no response or we were not able to locate an owner, the item was eligible for disposal according to whatever laws governed that particular item. Now for the fun part. Guns entered into NCIC are there forever as far as I know and we recovered more than one firearm that was orginally reported stolen years and years before (the oldest recovery I recall was around 30 years in the system). Finding an owner under those circumstances (and making a successful prosecution when you don't have a victim) is very difficult - almost impossible since we just don't stay at the same address or keep the same phone numbers, etc.

Additional complications ensue when a gun is reported stolen in one state, then recovered in another (lots of opportunities for missed communications from one agency to another).

If the original poster wants to follow up and find out where things went wrong (or didn't go wrong at all), the first step would be to try to get copies of all reports involved (should be public record) then have a talk with that agency's chief with your complaint. You'll be referred to someone in Internal Affairs (or whatever that agency calls it's internal review process) and the complaint should resolve the matter. Post up how it works up if you chose to follow through. Things get screwed up regularly in every department. The only way they'll know of a problem is if you bring it to their attention....

BSA1
March 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe the police didn't think it was really stolen.

DPris
March 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
Glitches happen.
Most people don't get hit by a bus crossing the street. Some do.
Obviously a step was missed in the process somewhere.
Considering the numbers & volume of stolen & recovered property every year that PD records systems have to process, it's neither unheard off nor a vast conspiracy to deprive you of your gun.
Denis

jimmyraythomason
March 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
it's neither unheard off nor a vast conspiracy to deprive you of your gun.
It may not be a "vast conspiracy" but it does happen. I had a Rossi .357 stolen in 2000. The responding police officers(3)informed me;"even if we find it,you wont get it back because we dont return guns". This was spoken directly to me,in person by a Birmingham (Al.)Police Department sargent and acknowledged by the other two. BTW,I haven't heard if it was recovered.

DPris
March 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
Jimmy,
That's an individual department policy definitely not shared universally.
It's a problem with that PD, if that's their policy. Most do return stolen & recovered guns, and I'd think there'd be a lawsuit involved, if the gun had not been paid for by insurance.

I worked for the second largest department in my state, my wife is currently a records division supervisor in the largest. I can assure you both departments take the responsibility of entering stolen firearms data very seriously, and equally so in getting recovered stolen property back to the victim or insurance company.

In Sasha's case, it sounds like nothing more than a clerical error.
It SHOULDN'T happen, but on occasion it does.
Denis

berettaprofessor
March 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
Stolen goods recovered should be run against the NCIC and returned to the owner

I may be wrong, but I didn't think NCIC's even stores the serial number. I've only heard my FFL's say "long gun" or "handgun" while on the phone. It was my understanding that if a gun is traced, it's because the police contact the manufacturer with the make and serial number, find out who it was shipped to, and then that FFL has to search the books to see who bought it.

Correct or not?

DPris
March 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Well, no. You're only partially right.

Sasha's talking about a reported stolen gun, you're talking about tracing an owner.
The NCIC system does store serials, on guns & certain other items, but ONLY if the serial is entered by a PD as stolen.

The NCIC system doesn't get a serial from your dealer, it comes from a reporting PD.
Any PD can check a serial against the NCIC database to see if it was reported stolen, and if it gets a hit there's originating agency info available to look up the victim.
If never reported, there'll be no NCIC record of the serial.

For tracing a gun owner independently of NCIC and without it showing a stolen hit, a PD can follow the route you outlined.
This is not routinely done on every gun a PD may recover, it's too time intensive. Reserved primarily for guns used in crimes where the owner's unknown & a suspect is sought.
If a gun's found, turned in or seized it's usually checked against NCIC for stolen, and if it's a hit efforts are (eventually & usually) made to return it to an owner, after any pending prosecutory needs are discharged.
If it's not a hit, and it's not necessary to determine ownership as evidence in a crime situation (murder, robbery, rape, etc.), it's usually booked into evidence storage as found or seized property, and disposal will eventually occur in whatever fashion the PD's policies allow or require.

Some will destroy, some can still sell & use the money for departmental purposes, and so on.
Denis

Shadow 7D
March 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Local PD hold the weapons for a prescribed period of time, makes all 'reasonable' efforts to notify the owners and then every 3-6 months auctions off those that have have been held longer than the prescribed time as a way to raise money for their training budget.

I think it's reasonalbe to follow up every once in a while, after all, in 9 years you could have moved, changed phone numbers etc.

mgmorden
March 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
I may be wrong, but I didn't think NCIC's even stores the serial number. I've only heard my FFL's say "long gun" or "handgun" while on the phone. It was my understanding that if a gun is traced, it's because the police contact the manufacturer with the make and serial number, find out who it was shipped to, and then that FFL has to search the books to see who bought it.

Correct or not?

When your FFL is doing a background check, he's not calling NCIC (National Crime Information Center), he's calling NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System).

Too many acronyms in today's society :).

The gun wouldn't end up in NCIC unless it was reported stolen, which it may never have been (ie, gun bought via face to face by someone who later used it in a crime), hence the need to go through the FFL records sometimes.

If you enjoyed reading about "gun not reported that it was retrievedby police ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!