Trying to decide on new state

PDA

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
Im trying to decide on a new state to live in I currently Live in New Yorkistan and cant stand it here... its not just the gun laws (but that is a big reason) but lack of places to shoot and other non firearms reasons

Im wanting to move somewhere in the western USA maybe in a desert type area where I can go somewhere remote set up some targets and shoot...

I also enjoy camping, fishing, and hunting so an area that is good for those things is also a big part of my decision

Lenient gun laws REQUIRED I don't want to have to deal with stupid bs restrictions on firearms....

Also A good economy (in comparison to the rest of the country) would be a BIG plus... Cost to move wouldnt be to insane id bring what I can and replace whatever gets left behind when I get wherever I go... Ive even considered moving somewhere and living out of a van for a while until I can get a place to live (yeah I want out of NY THAT badly lol)

So any recommendations would be HIGHLY appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to decide on new state" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Sarge
March 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
You just described Texas.

OpelBlitz
March 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
Living in Illinois, I know exactly how you feel. :)

longdayjake
March 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Well, I hate giving up my favorite fishing hole and hunting spot, but I suppose it doesn't really matter because the entire state of Idaho is a good place to fish or hunt. The other cool thing about Idaho is that you can have desert if you want it or you can have lush evergreen forest. And then there is the palouse area where I live.

bluethunder1962
March 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
I live in SC. Since BMW came to town it is getting more and more liberal. I love kanab Utah. Flagstaff AZ. anywhere but CA NY MASS and Il you will be OK.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Texas does seem like the perfect state for me honestly

My biggest problem is finding a job out of state (hard to relocate to somewhere and not have a job when you get there) But I imagine finding a job in texas would be much easier than it is to find a job in NY lol

Ramone
March 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
I was born and raised downstate in New York (Long Island). I've lived in NY, ME, VA, NC, SC, FL, CA, TX, IL, & RI, and I got some news for you...

NY is better than you think.

On Long Island- liberal, suburban Long Island- there are more good ranges closer together than anywhere else I know.

Yes, the NYS AWB sucks, but everywhere else has it's own brand of suckage.

You'll also find that while cost of living is lower most places, wages are lower, too- and it often doesn't scale well.

All that said, NE Florida, or Tidewater VA (the area south of and around Norfolk & Virigina Beach) are the areas that I'd consider in your shoes.

Arkansas Paul
March 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
Ive even considered moving somewhere and living out of a van for a while until I can get a place to live (yeah I want out of NY THAT badly lol)

Don't blame you. Anywhere is going to be better than NY, gun law wise except maybe Illinois or California.

EvilGenius
March 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
Sounds like it.

btg3
March 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
I live in SC. Since BMW came to town it is getting more and more liberal...
The first BMW was produced here in 1994. 2 year later, SC passed the current right-to-carry law. So, I don't think the alleged liberalism is hurting 2A in our state.

Further... A 2008 economic impact study by the University of South Carolina’s Darla Moore School of Business found that BMW is indirectly responsible for 23,000 jobs in South Carolina. That’s 10 times more than the initial projection of 2,000 jobs BMW made when it announced plans to locate in South Carolina.

Also, the study estimated that BMW generates $1.2 billion a year in wages and salaries throughout the state
http://www.charlestonbusiness.com/news/41218/print

To be sure, a lot of those jobs belong to Europeans, which, by comparison, undoubtedly are more liberal than the native population. And there has been notable migration from the midwest automotive areas to SC. Is it a surprise that there is a strong correlation between globalism and liberAlism, especially in areas that historically are conservative? But given that we make those choices via voting and spending, the complaint department is in the mirror over the bathroom sink.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 05:41 PM
I was born and raised downstate in New York (Long Island). I've lived in NY, ME, VA, NC, SC, FL, CA, TX, IL, & RI, and I got some news for you...

NY is better than you think.

On Long Island- liberal, suburban Long Island- there are more good ranges closer together than anywhere else I know.

Yes, the NYS AWB sucks, but everywhere else has it's own brand of suckage.

You'll also find that while cost of living is lower most places, wages are lower, too- and it often doesn't scale well.

All that said, NE Florida, or Tidewater VA (the area south of and around Norfolk & Virigina Beach) are the areas that I'd consider in your shoes.

No NY is not better than I think... I haven't always lived here and I was much happier when I lived in Indiana... Id hate NY even if I wasn't a gun owner

jmr40
March 24, 2012, 05:45 PM
The biggest problem with Texas is almost zero public land. Forget about finding a place to hunt, walk or target shoot unless you pay the landowner. It is about the last place I'd want to live.

Most of the other Western states are near, or over 50% public lands, so finding a place on public land to hunt, hike or shoot for free is much less of a problem.

I won't say Georgia is the best, but there is still lots of National Forest land in most parts of the state where activities are easily done. The only 2 months where there is not an open huntng season on something are June and July. Deer season runs from mid September until mid January with a 10 doe and 2 buck limit on private property. Deer killed on WMA's do not count toward your bag limit so you could legally take 2 dozen deer if you play your cards right. Small game season ends the last day of February. A good population of black bear if your interested. We get about 2 weeks off before turkey season starts, which was today this year and runs till mid May. Still have about a 6 week waterfowl season during December and January. Lots of good trout fishing in the northern 1/3 of the state and great fishing for most anything else in the rest of the state.

Gun laws, are not perfect, but much better than most. A carry permit is as easy as passing a background check. No classes are required.

I live in the NW part of the state. Can be in Atlanta or Chattanooga in an hour if I need something from a city. Can be in the Smoky Mt NP in 3 hours or at the beach in 6. Can be in Denver CO in 24. Made that trip driving straight thru while swapping drivers several times.

Ramone
March 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
No NY is not better than I think... I haven't always lived here and I was much happier when I lived in Indiana... Id hate NY even if I wasn't a gun owner

Ok- that does make some difference, IMX- I just get real tired of people who have never lived anywhere else bitching about my island, yanno? I'm even tireder of those that did move, and now piss and moan about where they are, and how they can't afford to move back...

What part of NYS are you in?

tyeo098
March 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
Northern Virginia, Lots of jobs here!
Plus Permitless OC!

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 05:58 PM
Ok- that does make some difference, IMX- I just get real tired of people who have never lived anywhere else bitching about my island, yanno? I'm even tireder of those that did move, and now piss and moan about where they are, and how they can't afford to move back...

What part of NYS are you in?

I live about a half hour west of rochester

Tomcat47
March 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
A carry permit is as easy as passing a background check. No classes are required. That is one thing Georgia should change! I think the classes should be mandatory if you CC....

I live in SC now...used to live in NC! NC was actually going to get BMW, but the state would give no tax revenue breaks or incentives. And that is when we needed that kind of manufacturing. Then they built in SC, and people I worked with moved to SC after getting a job with BMW.

I held out for years....then economy tanked and it sucked in NC! Great place for firearms related laws, fishing, hunting, hiking etc. but you got to feed your family and your hobbies! Never worked for BMW but I did move more than doubling my salary around 2001.

I do not know what other state I would look at if I were to move from SC?? But for sure gun laws would play a part in the decision.

Dazen
March 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
Jmr40 is correct about the public land in Texas.

TrailWolf
March 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
Moved to Scottsdale, AZ from Manhattan in November - could not be happier.

Best thing about Phoenix is that just 1.5 hours north there are pine forests and snowy mountains - its great.

dprice3844444
March 24, 2012, 06:03 PM
penn,new hamshire,vermont?

EvilGenius
March 24, 2012, 06:04 PM
Jmr40 is correct about the public land in Texas.
It's true I wish we had more public land, but he's also looking for strong economy and he's going to be relying on the economy more than places to shoot.

There are some metro places out in the western states that have good economy's so he's on the right track, but I gotta have a beach.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
that rules out Texas then... I need public land (I like to do allot of hiking, and camping)

allaroundhunter
March 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
The biggest problem with Texas is almost zero public land. Forget about finding a place to hunt, walk or target shoot unless you pay the landowner. It is about the last place I'd want to live.

Percentage-wise, no, Texas does not have a lot of public land. But if you consider the size of it, there is a good bit. There are also many places to hike and camp where you aren't allowed to hunt.

.....and saying Texas is about the last place you'd want to live? Well then you just haven't talked with many Texans. It really isn't that hard to find private land to hunt on, even for free. Make some friends and they will be happy to invite you out to their land to hunt, fish and target shoot in the same day.

bikerdoc
March 24, 2012, 06:16 PM
Tidewater VA (the area south of and around Norfolk & Virigina Beach) are the areas that I'd consider in your shoes.

Thats a big Roger that. Came here from MA in 98, nice place.

Got any skills? Maybe I can help direct you.

gearhead
March 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
My college roommate grew up on Long Island, about 15 years ago after heart surgery he decided that his continued survival was a sign that he should do what he had always wanted to do with his life. After recuperation and fulfilling what he considered to be a personal obligation to his employer by staying at his job for another 5 months or so he loaded everything he could fit into a Plymouth Sundance and drove to Oregon along the Columbia River. No job, no place to stay, just a desire to live in that part of the country. He got an apartment, found a job, and he's quite happy with his decision.

His motivation wasn't firearms freedom per se, it was more a desire to be in a place that was more fitting to his lifestyle and tastes.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Moved to Scottsdale, AZ from Manhattan in November - could not be happier.

Best thing about Phoenix is that just 1.5 hours north there are pine forests and snowy mountains - its great.

Ive heavily considered the phoenix area.. Big reason is the weather there... Not sure how the hunting is there though...

Got any skills? Maybe I can help direct you.

As far as job skills im 21 so nothing huge.. Ive got a little bit of experience in a machine shop(didnt mind that job at all)... went to school for auto body for a little while (no certification but I did enjoy it) worked on a line in a factory for a little while (hated it)

So as far as somebody wanting any skills I have not so much really all I bring to the table for an employer besides my small bit of experience in different jobs is being young and being able to grow with a company...

dampoo
March 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
A close friend moved to Wilcox AZ. about 30 years ago. He has never looked back. Non of the Phoenix heat, cold enough it feels like winter. Small enough to feel rural and cheap land.

The Sarge
March 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
The biggest problem with Texas is almost zero public land

We Texans have 2.6% of our lands set aside for public use. And 2.6% of Texas is a boatload :)
But your looking at this from an outsiders perspective. In the early 20th century Texas wanted to encourage settlements and gave away many many acres of land. So private land ownership is part of our culture. What outsiders do not understand is we have more free ranging hunting and fishing than most any other state. I own 9000 acres right here in the hill country and give permission yearly to hunters. As most every rancher I know do the same thing.
I would challenge you that it is easier and much better hunting and wildlife management, here in Texas, without "public land" being managed by Big Brother versus ranchers, cattlemen and farmers.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
A close friend moved to Wilcox AZ. about 30 years ago. He has never looked back. Non of the Phoenix heat, cold enough it feels like winter. Small enough to feel rural and cheap land.

Major problem I see with Arizona is AZ apparently has a piss poor economy

The_Armed_Therapist
March 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
I lived all over the inter-mountain west. The states with the best gun laws would be Arizona and Wyoming. However, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado aren't bad, either. Much better than just about anything in the east.

Obviously, all of these states have desert. The last place I lived was Rexburg, Idaho... city of about 30,000, college town (BYU-Idaho), and surrounded by just about nothing. I'd drive about 5 miles west of town and it's largely unfenced, untamed desert. I'd shoot there all day long... good 4-wheeling, etc. The terrain was awesome, too. Idaho Falls is about 30 mins south of Rexburg and is a larger city (60,000), also surrounded by good shooting. An hour south of Idaho Falls is Pocatello. Pocatello always reminded me more of an east coast city, about 50,000, older railroad town. Still nice, about an hour from Utah.

If you're more interested in urban/semi-urban, Salt Lake is nice... Don't have to drive too far for what you want. But, SLC is also pricey... economy is as strong as anywhere currently in this country.

I also lived in Phoenix... hit pretty hard economically. That would be a completely different experience. The city is large, yes, but you have at least an hour of suburbs in any direction. LOL... It's bizarre. Cheaper than SLC because of the poor economy.

Spent time in central Nevada, too. NOTHINGNESS. LOL... Almost all of Wyoming is just like Nevada. Cheyenne, Wyoming, Rock Springs, etc, offer glimpses of civilization if you so desire. ;)

Don't know much about Colorado, Montana, or New Mexico.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
Id like to just pack up and move without the headache of lining up a job or a place to live... I honestly think I might save up a good bit of money get a van make it somewhat livable and live like a hippy for a little while LOL

Nico Testosteros
March 24, 2012, 07:12 PM
Please not Texas. We have too many immigrants already.
And seriously, our gun laws aren't that great,

Midwest
March 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
Kentucky has great gun laws, OC without a permit allowed, loaded pistol allowed in the car without a permit, conceal carry license $60 for 5 years. NFA allowed, Knob Creek and Buds Guns are here, so is Centerfire Systems. Lot of camping and fishing areas, Kentucky Speedway. Very cheap land, very low property taxes, no vehicle inspection, fireworks are allowed, still have a sense of freedom, lots of room to roam, there are public shooting areas. Major cities nearby are Cincinnati (just over the river), Lexington , Louisville, Covington. You only have to travel just 15 minutes out of a city before you get in the country. Kentucky is within a days drive from the East Coast.

No I do NOT work for Kentucky tourism...lol

230RN
March 24, 2012, 07:45 PM
Please come to Colorado. Places to shoot in the National Forests and up on the Pawnee National Grasslands. Shall issue, open carry OK, no registration. Great hunting, bear, elk, sheep, itty bitty prairie rats for the mouse guns.

The trouble is, with the infux of California dingbats, and the power that the metro urban areas have over the rest of the State, it's right on the teetering point of becoming a blue State.

Please.

Pretty please?

Terry, 230RN

(There are no typographical errors in this post.)

exavid
March 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
Barring CA there are many Western states that would fill most anyone's need. I spent most of my adult years knocking around Alaska. If you're intererested in a state that has just about everythign except lots of warm weather that's not a good choice. But if you're looking for a place to live pretty damn free and away from the metroplexes it's the best place in the US. After retiring I moved to Oregon because the cost of living is a bit less and the weather a bit easier on an old guy. Oregon is pretty gun friendly has mountains, desert and sea coast. Not too many people here yet, less than 4 million of us. Southern or Southeastern Oregon is pretty nice with a wide variety of geography. Of course AZ, NV, WY, ID, WA, MT, and a few more states are great for a young man who'd like to get away from the crowds and breathe some freedom and carry a piece to boot. As Horace Greeley said back in the mid 1800s, "Go West, young man, go West. There is health in the country, and room away from our crowds of idlers and imbeciles." Not to say that we don't have our imbeciles but at least they are thinner on the ground.

Byrd666
March 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Western Texas, Eastern Texas, Northern Texas, South Texas, North East Texas, ALL of Texas
Arizona
Did I mention Texas or Arizona?

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 08:24 PM
gonna start applying to temp agency's in different states that I would like... Figure I probably wont get a call because they probably have a bunch of locals applying but its worth a shot...

parsimonious_instead
March 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico are probably great desert states for you, with great scenery, quiet when you need to get away and plenty of firearms freedom, but their economies aren't all that great.
Texas is, in my opinion, a bit over-rated in the "gun friendly" area.
Utah seems to have a great blend of Southwestern desert charm with mountains, gun-friendly laws, and a pretty decent economy.

aacider85
March 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
Check out AZ. Tons of huge rages that are cheap to belong to. 70% of the land is state owned so there are TONS of places to shoot besides the range. Awesome gun laws (no permit CC, easy guy buying process, etc) and a decent economy. Phoenix is in the desert but an hour away are high planes, 2 hours away is the pine forests and Flagstaff, 6 hours away is Las Vegas, and approx 6 hours away is the ocean. Beautiful weather 8 months out of the year. Check it out.

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
aacider85 I am looking hard into Arizona... Would probably even get back into dirtbikes If I lived there... would be great just ripping across the desert on two wheels loving life

oneounceload
March 24, 2012, 08:52 PM

Not if he wants to be able to go out and set up some targets - most of Tx is privately owned - he would be better in one of the Rocky pr Western states like UT, ID, NV, AZ, NM, CO, MT, WY

NV is 110,000 square miles and about 85% is open public land, for example

Old krow
March 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Well then you just haven't talked with many Texans.

Definitely hasn't talked to many Texans. Talking to a Texan about Texas is like sitting next to a soccer mom at a school play when her daughter is the star. :)

The trouble is, with the infux of California dingbats, and the power that the metro urban areas have over the rest of the State, it's right on the teetering point of becoming a blue State.

Just an observation, but, that might not be the best selling point. :uhoh:

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 09:16 PM
Just an observation, but, that might not be the best selling point.

Yeah I have a feeling he wouldn't make a very good used car salesmen..

Im seriously diggin Arizona... Hear they have allot of coyotes down there too.. My FAVORITE reactive target...

The Sarge
March 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
oneounceload....go ahead and ignore post 27 and the others. You set up your targets with Big Brother and us Texans will exercise our freedoms on PRIVATE LAND. LOL..................

bikerdoc
March 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
As far as job skills im 21 so nothing huge.. Ive got a little bit of experience in a machine shop(didnt mind that job at all)... went to school for auto body for a little while (no certification but I did enjoy it) worked on a line in a factory for a little while (hated it)

Sounds like your a good candidate for the various shipyards in the area. Check on line

scaatylobo
March 24, 2012, 09:58 PM
No matter where YOU go,there YOU are.

I live in NYS and its about 1 hour west of Rochester.

I plan on changing the state to fit my belief and not going someplace that could turn out to be worse in a few years.

Worst case scenerio is NYS get impossible as to CCW and general possession of the tools of survival.

Than and only then would I abondon ship,so to speak.

I see that our 'elected EMPLOYEES' need adjustment and that would be THE way to make it better.

Time will tell,and since I am retired I can leave w/o looking for work.

scottflys
March 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
I live in south central Az. You may want to do a little more research into the Az economy. Other than illegals and the bleeding hearts getting more news coverage that they warant It's a great state. My buddies and I shoot out to 800 plus all the time. I rarely hit at 800 but I try!

scottflys
March 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
All sorts of hunting too!

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 10:16 PM
No matter where YOU go,there YOU are.

I live in NYS and its about 1 hour west of Rochester.

I plan on changing the state to fit my belief and not going someplace that could turn out to be worse in a few years.

Worst case scenerio is NYS get impossible as to CCW and general possession of the tools of survival.

Than and only then would I abondon ship,so to speak.

I see that our 'elected EMPLOYEES' need adjustment and that would be THE way to make it better.

Time will tell,and since I am retired I can leave w/o looking for work.

As I said Im not wanting to leave ny because of the gun laws.. I have just as much fun with my guns as I would in any other state... preban magazines make that possible ;)

The reason I want to move is because I dont like living here.. Im 21 years old and don't want to plant my feet in a state where I will be unhappy... In my opinion the only good things NYS has going for it is lake ontario and the Adirondack mountains

Im not depressed living here I just dont like it ive hated this state ever since I moved here and regret moving here from Indiana.. Indiana is far from perfect but I liked it a hell of a lot better than here... Ive thought about moving back but Figure if im gonna move out of state again I might as well make it a state that I will like living in the most

BUCKrub91
March 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
All sorts of hunting too!

Yeah thats a big selling point to me I LOVE hunting Will probably love it even more without having to layer up LOL

Marlin60Man
March 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned Washington. Lots of outdoors activities, your pick of desert or evergreen forrest. Only thing I don't know is how our economy compares to other state's. We have the highest minimum wage in the country if that says anything...

Tipro
March 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
Im going to vote for utah. First, you might not be prepared for the az heat. Maybe you are, but something to consider.

I've neve r lived in utah, but have visited to out there several times In the summer and winter, and I think you'd like it. in the summer we ride 4 wheelers out into some land where the air force tests bombs, and strap ars on the back. Every now and then you d see a big crater that makes you wonder about the effectiveness of your 2nd amendment rights on the face of that firepower. During the winter you get some of the best snowboarding on the world, plus snow mobiling.

Don't know about the firearms laws, but my friends out there had no problem getting them legally. experiences out theIr encouraged me to get my first firearm.

Great views too. Lots of land to hike and 4 wheel, dirty bike and shoot.

Ornery Cuss
March 25, 2012, 12:41 AM
Percentage-wise, no, Texas does not have a lot of public land. But if you consider the size of it, there is a good bit. There are also many places to hike and camp where you aren't allowed to hunt.

.....and saying Texas is about the last place you'd want to live? Well then you just haven't talked with many Texans. It really isn't that hard to find private land to hunt on, even for free. Make some friends and they will be happy to invite you out to their land to hunt, fish and target shoot in the same day.

^ This.

TrailWolf
March 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
aacider85 I am looking hard into Arizona... Would probably even get back into dirtbikes If I lived there... would be great just ripping across the desert on two wheels loving life
Great hunting here too - when I lived in Manhattan we had a place in the Catskills where I used to hunt and fly fish - AZ is amazing in the hunting the department and the fly fishing up north is pretty great as well.

Here you can do bird, javelina, deer, elk - there is just a lot more of variety than I found in NY plus you can drive to CO and CA for even more types of hunting.

The hiking is also amazing - even though I live in Scottsdale, in less than an hour you can get to places like this:

http://www.south-of-flagstaff-arizona.com/image-files/sedona-arizona-camping-fossil-creek.jpg

http://www.sangres.com/arizona/wilderness/fossilsprings.htm

Old krow
March 25, 2012, 01:14 AM
I own 9000 acres right here in the hill country and give permission yearly to hunters.

Don't know what part of Texas you're in, but, that's pretty impressive. However, if you find a good deal on that much land, let me know and I'll move out there too. :)

Water-Man
March 25, 2012, 01:20 AM
The grass is always greener. :rolleyes:

Owen Sparks
March 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
New Hampshire.

Ever heard of the Free State Project? Here are 101 reasons to move to NH including reason # 4

4. New Hampshire offers some of the least restrictive gun laws in the nation: no permit is required to open carry and a concealed carry permit is available on a shall issue basis.

Also no sales tax, no state income tax, no capital gains tax and New Hampshire offers extraordinary opportunities for black bear, coyote, bobcats, moose, white-tailed deer, and beaver hunting as well as deep-sea, river, lake and even ice fishing.

Check it out for your self: http://freestateproject.org/101Reasons

Vector
March 25, 2012, 01:29 AM

And Florida assuming you wanted to move south.

tarosean
March 25, 2012, 01:32 AM
Not one vote for New Mexico? one of least populated states and 5th largest = TONS of land to go do whatever the heck you want.
Hunting = Mulies, Elk, Antelope, Oryx, Buffalo,Bear, Cat. plus many more... Oryx and Buffalo are once in a lifetime thou. Some of the best fly fishing in the world (San Juan Quality waters)
Climb mountains to 13,000+
Open Carry if you want..

whalerman
March 25, 2012, 01:35 AM
This is interesting conversation. I would submit that an important aspect is whether or not our mover is going to be retired or will be looking for work. If that's the case, what skills does he have? Also important is whether or not he has kids and family. I live in upstate NY and I'm about 3 years from retirement. We have such a poor economy up here the cost of living is actually quite low. Gun laws are completely stupid, as only criminals do well in that regard. Hunting and fishing is great. Land is available if you look. But there are NO NO NO jobs. We've been sending our best away for almost 50 years now. The only thing we really know how to do is screw you out of your stocks/savings, but that's a downstate skill.

Does anybody know anything about Arkansas? I remember that as a beautiful place.

Dmitri Popov
March 25, 2012, 01:36 AM
I'll throw in a mention for West Virginia, I mean come on it is "Almost Heaven"!

WYOMan
March 25, 2012, 01:48 AM
There are still people in Gillette that quit jobs because they are bored with them. Although most are mining, oil , gas related, and hard work. They pay well. There are also alot of buisnesses that support the energy industry. I know that L&H Industries was looking for welders and machinists recently. There is another company that can't seem to keep truck drivers, and heavy equiptment operators because the hours are long and the job would bore the dead its so repetative. I can go just about anywhere to shoot targets, although I usually go out to the gas fields on the BLM on the east side of the powder river and have miles of noone. I've hunted deer and antelope there too. Hunting land is about 3/4 of the state.

moewadle
March 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
is a good thought and they are on record on the internet recently as being one of the 10 best cities in the USA to start over because of their good economy. Kingsport is one of the Tri-Cities and near the border of Virginia. You are in a far eastern corner of Tenn and near several other states. I think there is quite a bit of public land...the Great Smokies are near...Change of seasons with mild weather.

postalnut25
March 25, 2012, 03:43 AM
Wyoming is great. Only 500,000 or so people with a ton of room. I always enjoyed Utah when I went to see my grandpaents.

I am partial to Colorado. After spending time on the coast of North Carolina, and around the Hampton Roads area of southern Virginia, I couldn't wait to get back to Colorado.

The only problem is the imported "California Dingbats," the Highlands Ranch soccer moms, and of course, the raging lunatics up in Boulder. The rest of the state is amazing.

Dazen
March 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
Here is a map with the Public Hunting Areas listed in Texas.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/

I've lived in West Texas most of my life guess that why I thought there was really no public land available. Everyone I know around here pays big bucks to hunt on someones land.

Kaptain Five
March 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Southwest NE is treating us pretty well. we just relocated a couple months ago, and there are jobs available, and cost of living is low enough.
Plenty of space to shoot out here, as long as you don't shoot at or near livestock. Lol

JimBoIHN
March 25, 2012, 09:27 AM
Get within driving distance of Las Vegas. Phoenix would work. Laughlin also.
Texas has no place for you to get out and shoot FOR FREE! <removed> hunting lease is $1000.....and that's if you promise not to shoot anything. Texas is a great place but not for cheap outdoor recreation, and very snobbish about land ownership.

JimBoIHN
March 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
If you find you don't like Las Vegas, and there surely must be a few that don't, I would also suggest Utah or Idaho as beautiful states with lots of free outdoor activities available and friendly people. That also puts you near some other great hunting opportunities. I promise you Texas is not the place for an outdoors person, even if you have money. Unless 90 lb whitetails excite you, or game managed offerings where they grow decent deer for you. Nothing like hunting in the wild, though. I must say we do offer lots of good fishing for FREE, but that ain't hunting.

The Sarge
March 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
$1000 dollar hunting leases and snobs in Texas? Like me saying everybody in ______ state is left handed. It's true! I read it on the internet!

So much misinformation it is painful. I never "charged" anybody a penny. Not a single ranch owner I know around here charges anything. Only time I charge is guided hunts using my rifles for city folks.

Dont have to guide far around here.

My front yard the other day :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/sgtgeek/LawnMower001.jpg

Whatever. If the OP is going to base his decision on the discussion here, versus career decisions, then his choices of living at a rifle range or a van down by the river are limitless :)

scaatylobo
March 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Since your only 21 years old - you are correct and should move.

If you have no real connections [ wife's family etc ].

Then your GTG,and the sooner the better.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.

Hope you post where you settle and how you like the difference.

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
Sarge im still looking into texas too lol... ive put my name in online at temp agencys in texas, arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Oregon lol... all of them seem like states I would enjoy living in

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 11:03 AM
Since your only 21 years old - you are correct and should move.

If you have no real connections [ wife's family etc ].

Then your GTG,and the sooner the better.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.

Hope you post where you settle and how you like the difference.

No wife No gf and no kids... all my family does live here in NY but I wont let that hold me back... I will just try to make it back allot to visit for holidays and such...

Jitterbug
March 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
If in you're shoes I'd give Idaho a serious consideration. Sportsman's paradise up there.

HoosierQ
March 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
I will put a plug in for Indiana for a couple...sadly not near all of your reasons though.

Gun laws (knife laws too)...great here. Lifetime handgun permits (called license here) that applies to you the person and any handgun you lawfully posses. No need to conceal (but everybody does)...none of that business about breaking the law if your shirt-tail hikes up and your gun shows...lot's of states have that.
Cost of living is very low. The schools here suck but sounds like you needn't worry about that.
Lots and lots of good gun shops. Lots and lots of gun shows. Lots and lots of gun owners.
Lots and lots of game...some game. Deer is great, people come from Wyoming and Montana to hunt whitetail here because they are so numerous. Turkey is good. The "official" game animal of Indiana is squirrel seems like.

Not much if any public land...no free place to shoot unless you know somebody in the country.
Economy is always a bit iffy here.

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Im actually from Richmond Indiana and didn't mind living there to bad.. But I lived with my parents there on 7 acers of land and had permission to use the 80 acers of land across the street so if it weren't for that IDK how I would have felt about it

I would move back there if I had a job/living lined up... Im sure I could find a place to stay there for a little while though considering I have friends there

DC Plumber
March 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Well, if I were young, single and no kids to take care of and had a little pocket money, I'd just start driving. Make a large loop through the country and see what gets my interest. Everytime the wife and I take a drive, we say, "hey, we could enjoy living here".

Sometimes we never even leave our state and are amazed by the things we didn't know of.

Myself, I love the upper midwest (Great Lakes area). No hurricanes. No tornardo belt. Bitter winters (keeps the riff raff out), beautiful spring and fall and great summers. No earthquakes (until last week, a small 1.5 80 miles from my house). No poisonous snakes, no bears that will eat you, no aligators in your pool, lots of trees and rolling hills, and most importantly to survival............TONS of fresh water!

Enjoy your search, keep and open mind though.

Mainsail
March 25, 2012, 12:45 PM
Washington (as well as Oregon, Idaho, or Montana) has millions of acres or National Forest, National Park, Wilderness Area, and State Land. In the NF you can shoot to your heart's content with only common sense rules like don't shoot across a road etc.

There are remote lakes for fishing (with or without trails to them), miles of trails for hiking and backpacking, skiing, snowmobiling, etc etc etc.

A concealed pistol license will cost you $60 and there are no tests, classes, demonstrations required. You can carry openly without any permit whatsoever, and concealed without the license if you're engaged in outdoor activities.

I hiked to the summit of Mt Aix a couple summers ago, and even from the top you can look in any direction and see absolutely nothing that is man made, except the little goat trail that brought you.

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/AixPics/Valley2.png

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/AixPics/Valley.png

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/3hikers.jpg

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/Walker/SnowMt.png

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/pics/Sunrise04.jpg

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/Bob2011/Clouds1a.png

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/c3dcfa45-023c-4190-a015-7fa86e03b4d2.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b8e1156f-6eb1-4c2c-b8f6-c5e55226b23e.jpg

Texas? Seriously?

The Sarge
March 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Sarge im still looking into texas too lol... ive put my name in online at temp agencys in texas, arizona, Idaho, Utah, and Oregon lol... all of them seem like states I would enjoy living in

Gotta be happy at home. I am a native Texan but lived and worked outside of Texas for 32 straight years. Came back about 12 years ago.
I lived/worked and had my family with me in Massachusetts, California, London, Guam, Columbia, Venezuela to name a few.
I made friends and money in all of them. I had my "firearm permit" in Massachusetts and California. It can be done :) I have hunted in New York outside of Naples, New York with my buddies. Damn fine redneck place if you asked me :) Lots of guns and good people. Them old Finger Lake dairy farmers will whip your butt quick.....I felt right at home :)
Home is what you make it. I agree some states/countries have laws that rub against my political beliefs but I made it work.
So my only recommendation is focus more on your career. Let the political environment be secondary and work hard to change it if it goes against your beliefs.

All good recommendations here in this thread. Just turn your filters on high for some of these inaccurate responses.....it is the interweb and you just asked peoples opinion you know :neener:

Oh and be careful of anyplace that has people that take pictures of feet and dead fish. I wouldn't want to live there.:barf: LOL....just kidding guys.....I threw my snow shovel away years ago.

Mainsail
March 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
Oh and be careful of anyplace that has people that take pictures of feet and dead fish. I wouldn't want to live there. LOL....just kidding guys.....I threw my snow shovel away years ago.

:D

That fish required a nine hour hike up a very steep ridge, no trails to follow, through deep forest on own navigation. When I say remote lakes, I mean remote. If you want to get away to places where you won't see anyone, we got a lot of that.

You seriously don't want me to post the skinny dipping pictures. :uhoh:

The great thing about NF land is you can hike, camp, backpack, even just pull off and spend the night and there's no permits, permissions, or other nonsense required. There aren't a lot of places left where you can do that, and build yourself a real campfire to boot.

http://www.topohiker.com/Hikes/images/Bob2011/Jeep.png

The Sarge
March 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
America is a beautiful land.

Old krow
March 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
Well, if I were young, single and no kids to take care of and had a little pocket money, I'd just start driving.

That's probably not a bad idea. Sometimes you just need to see what's out there. You're 21, the world's your oyster. If you're not going to that, look for a marketable skill and start getting some employable skills under your belt. There are some jobs that can take you just about anywhere you want to go. I kinda agree with The Sarge on that.

Depending on what you actually like to do, I'd consider the military. At a minimum they'll give you some sort of skill and you'll travel.

I've lived in a lot of states and been to almost all of them. There actually aren't that many that I just despise. I liked states that I didn't think that I would before I went there, and disliked some that I thought I would like.

bergmen
March 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
The only problem is the imported "California Dingbats," the Highlands Ranch soccer moms, and of course, the raging lunatics up in Boulder. The rest of the state is amazing.

Hey, we have to send them somewhere and Colorado welcomes them with open arms (especially Boulder). Colorado is amazing, one of my favorite states to visit, especially on a sport touring motorcycle.

I'm just glad we live not too far from the State of Jefferson, the NW corner of California is the best area to live IMO. This is a "shall issue" area, lots of NF and BLM land and wilderness areas, etc. to hunt, fish, hike, camp, explore. You never hear about us on the news since we didn't vote for Princess Nancy or the other dingbats that are eyeing Colorado (just kidding).

Dan

smalls
March 25, 2012, 01:57 PM
Since you stated you had machine shop experience, and enjoyed it, my opinion is to look into a trade school. Figure out what you'd like to do, and find some schools located in free states. Take a trip out there, and go see it. Most trade schools will help you find a part time job so you can survive, and usually have a deal with a local apartment complex for discounted rent. The school I graduated from here in MI does this, and a friend went to UTI (auto tech school) in Indiana, that did the same thing. Found him a job at a parts store, and had "student housing" in a local complex, which he paid for with student loans untill he got the job.
Without a job, or a place to live, just up and leaving seems kind of foolish. JMO.

wally
March 25, 2012, 02:36 PM

Except Texas is somewhat short of public lands on which you can hunt and shoot.

But I love it here, left NY in '73 and never looked back! You'll be welcome as long as you leave behind those stupid Yankee ideas that ruined the northeast.

Houston is a great environment for makers, not so much for takers.

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
You'll be welcome as long as you leave behind those stupid Yankee ideas that ruined the northeast.

LOL that wouldnt be a problem as I don't share the stupid Yankee Ideas ;)

History.Doc
March 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
I guess I'd take a good look at Colorado, Utah, New Hampshire, Wyoming, West Virginia, and Montana. All spectacular in their own way.

jj1962hemi
March 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
Does anybody have experience moving to Utah as a non-Mormon? I like alot of what I hear about it, but wonder if the social environment would be natural and comfortable.

1911fan
March 25, 2012, 06:00 PM
A word or two about Nevada, since I've lived here for over a quarter-century.

There are really THREE Nevadas, or maybe four. Over 85% of this is BLM land.

South is Vegas. They think they run the state there, and, for the most part, do. The boom is now bust and there's not a whole lot of work there. Go to a forum called Nevada Shooters and lurk. Most of the membership is from there and you can get a good picture of the goings-on down there.

North east is the Elko area. They're mostly gold mining and small ranches and right now, with the price of gold through the ceiling, they're booming. Gold goes down, so does their economy. BEAUTIFUL place to hunt and fish.

North west is the Reno-Carson-Tahoe area. Carson City is, of course, the state capitol, where they THINK they run the state. Reno is the much larger city with more employment available, more neat stores (see some of my threads about terrific gun deals I've gotten at Scheel's), and more services. Most of the Federal stuff (like Social Security where your new wife will have to go to change her maiden name to her married name when you get married) is in Reno. Tahoe is unbelieveably gorgeous. Not much hunting available right there (too crowded) and fishing is catch and release for the most part, but plenty of other areas are available locally for both. Area is depressed but work IS available, just not for fat white men pushing sixty (I've been out-of-work for three years come July):mad:

Central Nevada offers miles and miles of miles and miles. Not too much there emplolyment-wise but the recreational potential is almost limitless.

Drinking and gambling is 24/7 here. The grocery stores and 7-11's have slot machines. If you go into a bar for a drink, like as not you'll be sitting at a bar-top poker machine. Two comments here: 1) if you're gonna gamble set a limit. I know too many people who work an entire week for a paycheck only to spend it all in a few hours. Makes it tough to pay rent. 2) Casinos offer another potential for employment. Wages tend to be lower when you start but most of the positions get tips from the customers.

If you move to look for work, you might be able to get unemployment from the state of New York. It's worth looking in to, you'd at least have an income.

I love it here, I'd like it even better if I could get work.

ed

doubleh
March 25, 2012, 06:35 PM
Every time I read about what a great place Texas is I kind of grin. It certainly isn't the worst place to live but it has it's draw backs. A person needs to research it carefully before just jumping up and moving there. Of course that goes for any state.

Sarge, I commend you for letting people hunt on your place for free. I was born and raised in Texas and never found someone that would do that even back when I lived there. It irks me that I can't hunt on my own property there with buying an out of state license. I pay property taxes but receive nothing in return.

BUCKrub91
March 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
IDK why people say the economy in Arizona is bad... I just went on jobbing and they had a bunch of listings in tuscan... sent my resume to a bunch of them

Ala Dan
March 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
Tennessee, Alabama, Vermont, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Arizona should
qualify for your list of possibilities~! ;) :D

bluethunder1962
March 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Bgst, under the contract with bmw stated they MUST hire from a range of 45 miles for 2 yrs. It was after that the north invaded againl I pay more on property taxes now than I did before they passed the new sales tax and my taxes are higher than ever and my house is worth about $50000 less. And I am in one of the fastest growing parts of sc. !5 min from bmw. there is a bill going through in columbia right about gun laws.

Prince Yamato
March 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
As a former Rochesterian, I say you'd probably prefer the following states: Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or Montana.

AABEN
March 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Come to the Princeton IN where we have a free gun range 25 50 100 200 yard ranges that the state gives us free to shoot at. All you need is a target to put up.They do a good job at keeping it up.

jr_roosa
March 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
Colorado, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho.

I live in Arizona and I'm from NY, and it's way too hot here in the summer. If you really hate snow at a visceral level, then maybe you'd like AZ, but I can't wait to leave for Colorado.

Economy is really dependent on what you do. If you like to build houses or sell houses, then Arizona has a long way to go. If you're in healthcare then it's not really bad. Compared to upstate NY, even the depressed economy out here is a step up.

-J.

Flynnstone63
March 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't mind heading out of here myself.

Tipro
March 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
Does anybody have experience moving to Utah as a non-Mormon? I like alot of what I hear about it, but wonder if the social environment would be natural and comfortable.
As I said in a post above, I've only visited Utah, but I did hang out with some of the locals. Only one person I met was a Mormon. At least, that I knew was a Mormon. It's nothing to worry about.

1858remington
March 26, 2012, 04:16 AM
Dementia is a good state

BUCKrub91
March 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't mind heading out of here myself.

I honestly dont know what i was thinking moving here... I need to get a delorean and go back in time and tell myself not to move to NY lol

josiewales
March 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
Pennsylvania!!!

oneounceload
March 26, 2012, 07:53 PM
You set up your targets with Big Brother and us Texans will exercise our freedoms on PRIVATE LAND

OK ;) - except that Big Brother land is something YOU are helping pay for - THANKS!

I like being able to travel over an area where everyone is invited to use it for any purpose whatsoever without a lot of fences, especially those blocking public access roads........when In lived in NV we exercised our freedoms on public land just fine......and we didn't have to pay for deer leases or anyone else to go hunting... ;)

The Sarge
March 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
oneounceload you don't read the entire thread before you post do you?
There is nothing in your post to even respond to.
Lord help us with this interweb thing I swear.

crracer_712
March 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Well, I only read a couple of pages of this thread, so forgive me if you've already ruled out Kansas.

I'm two hours from anywhere, but I mostly go to Wichita if I want to go to the city. Wichita has a lot of industry, Spirit Areo Space is really huge there. Boeing is moving out (Spirit bought out the commercial side of Boeing about 5 years ago). Now the military side is moving and Spirit is taking over all of those buildings and building more buildings as well. If you're a good worker, you'd have a job for life with all kinds of shift options and transfer from building to building to change your type of job, should you choose to do that.

There's a lot more in Wichita as well.

As for firearms, Kansas rates a 4 on the Brady campaign website, on a score of 0-100 (0 being the worst in their opinion, meaning it rates really good in this department, in your opinion). There are numerous corp and state lakes with ample camping and fishing. Thousands of farm ponds, easy to access just by asking permission. There is a lot of public hunting land all throughout Kansas. If you want to buy land, it's not sky high as it is elsewhere in the states (especially Texas), but it is getting up there, IMO. There are no moutains to climb, but there are hilly areas, lots of timber, and if you want to drive a short ways west of Wichita, you have wide open spaces and about all the Pdog hunting you could ever hope to need.

You don't need to earn a lot in Kansas to have a good life style, it's pretty econimcal to live just about anywhere in this state. We have Conceal Carry and open carry (local municipalities can regulate open carry, but outside city limits it's wide open). No gun registration, no waiting periods, and no limit on the number of guns you can purchase in a certain period of time.

It's not the nicest climate throughout the year, summer is hot, really hot for about a month. Winters usually have a really cold month (except for this past winter). The further east you are in Kansas, the less snow fall. The further west you are, the less rain fall. Weather in spring and fall are hard to beat (except for tornado/hail season, but we haven't had that for several years where I am at).

There's nothing glamorous about Kansas, but for the most part, we are an American state. Deer hunting, Turkey hunting, there is plenty of that. Bobcats, Coyotes, Pheasant, Qail, Dove and large mouth Bass. Lots of Crappie, lots of rivers to fish for those monster cat fish.

There are also many places for offroad fun, be it two wheel or four wheel. There's good hunting to the south in Oklahoma and also good hunting out west in Colorado. Missouri is a great place to spend a weekend riding the twisties on two wheels. Arkansas isn't far away either.

BTW, Wichita has a lot of collision repair shops. I own one myself, I'm just not in Wichita, I'm about 2 hours east.

oneounceload
March 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
oneounceload you don't read the entire thread before you post do you?
There is nothing in your post to even respond to.
Lord help us with this interweb thing I swear.

Sure did, "sir", but then having lived in TX previously, it isn't a bad place, but it sure isn't the be-all, end-all either when it comes to hunting with folks shutting off hunting access to us mere peasants because we don't have the luxury or owning a bunch of your precious scrub land

So swear away, put down others who disagree - doesn't change the facts.........

BUCKrub91
March 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
OK - except that Big Brother land is something YOU are helping pay for - THANKS!

I like being able to travel over an area where everyone is invited to use it for any purpose whatsoever without a lot of fences, especially those blocking public access roads........when In lived in NV we exercised our freedoms on public land just fine......and we didn't have to pay for deer leases or anyone else to go hunting...

Sounds great.. buying a hunting license then paying a land owner to let me hunt on his land doesn't tickle my fancy..

Flynnstone63
March 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
If you find that Delorean, I'd like to borrow it, lol.

BUCKrub91
March 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
Got an email from a company in Phoenix saying they were interested and to call them...

So I called and they pulled up my info and then told me they don't do any phone interviews and they are sorry -.-

A small glimmer of hope quickly shut down >.<

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 05:27 PM
Yeah I have a feeling he wouldn't make a very good used car salesmen..

Im seriously diggin Arizona... Hear they have allot of coyotes down there too.. My FAVORITE reactive target...

You haven't done much feral hog hunting, have you? ;)

BUCKrub91
March 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
You haven't done much feral hog hunting, have you?

No I havent but id like to try it... those things look like a hoot to hunt

I always enjoy watching the videos of guys chasing them through the woods with .44mags and .500's LOL

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
No I havent but id like to try it... those things look like a hoot to hunt

I always enjoy watching the videos of guys chasing them through the woods with .44mags and .500's LOL

And whereas you rarely get a chance to shoot more than one coyote from the same location, you can get more than 5 hogs in one hunt from the same spot!

Wherever you choose, make sure it is south, we have hogs ;)

mljdeckard
March 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
I've done this several times, but what the heck, I enjoy it.

First of all, on the Mormon question, on the 'Wasatch Front' Salt Lake county in particular, the population is less than half Mormon. And really, they don't like to tell other people what to do. (With the exception of trying to modernize our liquor laws, apparently. If you are a drinker, there are plenty of bars and liquor stores, just with a few absurd puritanical holdover laws.)

Let's see, where do I start.
We will likely get permitless carry next year. (Our gov is the holdout, we are working on him.)

We just narrowly missed passing legislation that specifically states that bearing arms cannot be called disorderly conduct. (Again, likely next year.)

We just passed an addition to our castle doctrine to state that if someone tries to sue anyone for bearing arms against them, they must first prove that the nature of them being on the the defender's land was not criminal in nature. (He signed that one.:)

shall issue.
may legally open carry anywhere you can carry concealed with a permit.
Carry in schools k-university.
Carry in bars
Standard to carry while intoxicated is the same as for driving.
Carry in churches that don't specifically forbid. (the LDS church is the only one that has, I have no idea why.)
No state restrictions on NFAs, AOWs, etc.
Carry in car without a permit
Carry in home without a permit. (Even if your home is a cardboard box.)
State gun is a 1911. (Yes, really.)
No duty to inform police when you are stopped carrying. (But you should anyway, they like to talk about guns and let you out of tickets.)
State law forbids gun restriction in time of emergency.
First ever state to get an 'f' grade from the Brady's. (AZ narrowly passed us up recently. We are trying HARD to get the title back.)
Desert, mountains, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Colorado River, Arches, Lake Powell, Great Salt Lake, about a dozen LARGE mountain reservoirs, many smaller ones, coyotes and antelope all the way to the NV and AZ border, Mulies, bighorns, moose, elk, (google 'spider bull'), too many jackrabbits to ever kill. (I keep trying.) Hogs, ducks, geese, upland birds, squeakers, (pot-gut squirrels,) just don't shoot any sea gulls.

I like Texas, but for its reputation, it's really not all that gun-friendly. No open carry, and any business can restrict you from carrying with a sign.
Utah has pre-emption, only the state, (not businesses or municipalities) can forbid carry in a given area, and they are disinclined to do so.

My hometown of Virgin, UT, (yes, it's actually a place,) actually has a city statute that all households must have a firearm.

I'll probably think of more later.

Ryanxia
March 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
I vote Maine. We have a nice low score on the brady campaign score card. :D

OpelBlitz
March 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
It turns out that Brady Campaign Score Card on their website makes a great place to start for deciding where to move. Red is good! :)

Keb
March 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Time for aRoad Trip

taraquian
March 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
OP should look atSOUTHERN New Mexico, wehave tons of public lands, open desert. Freegun ranges, OC, ccw is a 2 class permit, hunting damn near anything somewheer in the state, 2 hours from my house is mountains and ski resorts, 2 blocks from my house is a river to fish and ski in, 2 milles is a public range and a fewmiles out is a huge areajust for dirt bikes and quads. Just stay outta N NM, its fulla hippies ;-)

303tom
March 28, 2012, 08:36 PM
Don`t come to Missouri, we have some of the worst gun laws in the nation.............

BUCKrub91
March 29, 2012, 12:57 AM
Missouri's gun laws aren't that bad in comparison to some other states

Got another call from a temp agency I applied to places in AZ through... they called and said they saw I applied to such and such place "but it apears you are in NY and I would like to talk to you about some opportunity's there"

If I were interested in opportunity's in NY why would I be applying for jobs in a different state?? I told them I am trying to relocate to Arizona and the lady still wanted to talk about job opportunity's in NY

Apparently people are only supposed to relocate now a days if there job forces them to

Agsalaska
March 29, 2012, 01:52 AM
Go West young man!!

BUCKrub91
March 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
Go West young man!!

thats the plan :)

mac66
March 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Don't come to Michigan.

It is a only a great place to live if you have a job or an income like a pension. Northern Michigan is awesome, great trails, rivers, lakes, hunting, fishing, boating, snowmobiling. Lots of state land, lots of coast line. Of course we have the Great Lakes as well. One of the largest ORV trail systems in the country. The bad economy for the last ten years have kept property values low so it is a good time to buy if you have money. We do have shall issue and open carry. Very active gun rights groups in this state and we have been able to whittle the gun laws down over the years to be less and less restrictive.

We actually have trees in our state unlike a lot of the western states.

Actually, except for the actual City of Detroit itself, SE Michigan is pretty nice as well.

oneounceload
March 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
And in the wintertime, the state empties out as they all come down here to Florida to escape the cold and snow!...:D

armarsh
March 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
You should consider South Dakota.

No income tax. Unemployment is a little over 4%.
Very few firearms restrictions.
Lots of public land.
http://gfp.sd.gov/ePubs/wildlife/2011-public-hunting-atlas/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota

Oh, and you get four genuine seasons each year. :)

BullfrogKen
March 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wherever you finally end up, I'd suggest you'll want to consider the total, big picture.

Job opportunity.
Housing market.
Taxes. ALL of them. Sales, income, property, etc.
Schools.

You know, all that really boring stuff that adults seem to care a lot about.

BUCKrub91
March 30, 2012, 02:37 AM
Wherever you finally end up, I'd suggest you'll want to consider the total, big picture.

Job opportunity.
Housing market.
Taxes. ALL of them. Sales, income, property, etc.
Schools.

You know, all that really boring stuff that adults seem to care a lot about.
Interesting
I thought all you old people cared about was re runs of Seinfeld and sweater vests

writerinmo
March 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
How does Missouri have bad gun laws? Granted we have to go through a full day of instruction and firing qualification to get a concealed carry, but at least it's shall issue. We have a shoot on sight standing order on feral hogs from the Dept of Conservation. My town here south of St. Louis has no statutes against open carry, I don't because the borders between us and the sister city (which does) are very difficult to figure out, and since I have a CC, why bother. We have no requirement to inform, anyone who can legally purchase a firearm can have it concealed in their vehicle (but not on person), we have an EXCELLENT Castle Doctrine low that you can even defend your "means of conveyance" with deadly force...I'm just wondering where all of these "Worst laws" might be...

wuluf
March 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE]Interesting
I thought all you old people cared about was re runs of Seinfeld and sweater vests[/QUOTE

you left out Viagra...:what:

magnatecman
March 31, 2012, 06:58 PM
I wish you all would pipe down about southern Utah, we don't need anymore people moving in here.:neener:

elcabob
March 31, 2012, 11:04 PM
Sounds like Oklahoma to me.

P5 Guy
April 1, 2012, 01:26 PM
I LOVERMONT
Just not the weather.

sig220mw
April 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
In Texas the economy is doing well and it is a very pro gun state. Louisiana is a very pro gun state but it's economy is not as well off as that of Texas. Arizona is supposed to be nice also.

revjen45
April 1, 2012, 03:38 PM
Go to the Brady Campaign Against Gun Ownership site. They have just posted their new "scorecard" for all the states. The ones with lowest scores are a good place to start.

ArmedOkie
April 1, 2012, 11:24 PM
Yup. texas, arkansas, or oklahoma is where you wanna be. texas is too hot for me though. no desert up here in OK or arkansas but toooooons of woods and low mountains as well as some prairie (western OK)

MICHAEL T
April 2, 2012, 12:02 AM
Kentucky hunting, fishing, good carry laws Stay away from cinci area Lex and louisville and their work and property at good prices,

Kevin Rohrer
April 2, 2012, 09:58 AM
Arizona

garyh9900
April 2, 2012, 02:16 PM
Kentucky. We have great hunting(deer, elk, bear, birds). Great fishing (we hold the world record for smallmouth bass, and blue catfish) but we have plenty of other species as well: largemouth, rainbow trout, brown trout, brook trout, lake trout, tons of sunfish, pike, sauger, walleye, flathead and channel cats,

We have mild(sometimes non-existent) winters. Summer like springs and fall seasons, and very warm summers.

We have tons of public land (national forest, state parks, national parks, state wildlife management area)

We have varying geography, plains in western kentucky, rolling hills in the bluegrass, and mountains in eastern part of the state.

We have numerous large lakes.

Guns are a way of life here, the only thing that gets us 2 points on the brady score card is we allow colleges to regulate the possession on their property, but that is under review by the Ky supreme court. We are a shall-issue state, stand-your ground state, castle-doctrine state.

For the most part, it's a nice place to be.

kelo4u2
April 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
Moving April 14, 2012 after living in NJ for 30 years. The hunting in NJ is like shooting at dogs, but they call them deer. No bird hunting. Well there is, Game warden comes has 10 pheasant and lets them go- 50 hunters standing around waiting for him to say go and 10 birds shot 10 minutes after release. Gun laws as strick as Russia- no CC permits. One handgun a month. Moving to New Mexico. We dont know a sole out there, we're just going. I am on permanent disability but my wife does not have a job. Found a house in the newspaper-they still print them-. I found it on their web site. I'm 54 years old so if I can do it you can do it. You just have to decide where you want to go and go. You are young enough that if you dont like it where you go to, move on to another place. Just do it and havfun because you will regret it the rest of you life if you dont

NWCP
April 3, 2012, 04:34 AM
Take a look at Washington (state), Idaho, Montana, Texas, Nevada and maybe Utah. As for employment you're on your own there. Utah and Texas would probably be your best bests for employment. It all depends on what you are willing to do.Being retired I just have to look at taxes, cost of living and gun laws. That opens up quite a bit of territory for me... which my wife and I are considering. After 25 years the rain in Washington is getting a bit tiresome. We are considering Texas, Utah, or possibly Nevada. We have a few other ideas as well. Good luck.

timhernandez
April 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
Try This...

http://www.findyourspot.com/

Ranger30-06
April 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
Try This...

http://www.findyourspot.com/
I took that quiz. 95% of my results were in Montana and Wyoming... I guess I found my calling :D

altitude_19
April 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
Wyoming. Texas ain't bad, but there's no Open Carry and a laundry list of places you can't have your gun with you. Wyoming just adopted constitutional carry. Heck, I think they still have homestead plots available there....

BUCKrub91
April 5, 2012, 07:18 PM
I dont understand I apply to companies in different states and clearly put that I live in NY but am wanting to relocate

They call me and when I bring up that I live in NY over the phone they lose interest... Do they not bother reading the resume/application that I send them or what?

moewadle
April 5, 2012, 07:56 PM
I think companies do look at the area you are from and are prone to hire more from some areas than others because of the reputation some areas have over others regarding work ethic. I grew up in Iowa and moved to Oregon as a 26 year old. I put in an application at a Truck Line, (Teamsters Union, top pay for a laborer)...I was called the same day and went to work that night...in 1969 if it matters. I could not help believing there were tons of applications ahead of me but lots of people told me that just coming from Iowa (it could have been Minn, Missouri, etc.) meant a lot to coast employers because the Midwest people were known to be reliable employees and hard workers. I have nothing against New York but it did not have that reputation. This is just a guess.

BUCKrub91
April 5, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah allot of people here are lazy as **** and on welfare lol

longdayjake
April 7, 2012, 02:31 AM
Phoenix = highest murder rate in the country and home invasions are common place around there. I would not live anywhere near Phoenix or Mesa if you paid me a million dollars to do it. Most of the rest of Arizona is pretty awesome though.

Washington = The only state in the union where the liberals have taken away so many rights that they actually leave Washington to go to Idaho. And then when they get here they try to make Idaho like Washington. Washington has stop light cameras, stop sign cameras, $100 tickets for no seat belt, $100 fine for cell phone use while driving, huge property taxes and a bunch of crime and violence. I live in Idaho about 4 miles from the border of Washington and just looking in the direction of Washington makes me feel like a peasant. Washington is for people who prefer to be subjects to their government rather than stewards. If Washington wasn't so beautiful I would hate the crap out of it. But then again, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to put up with the serpent in the paradise.

Utah,
Mormons are as easy to get along with as any other Christian community. So long as you aren't a loudmouthed profanity spewing drunk criminal you will be embraced. I personally think that the only part of Utah worth living in is Southern Utah. Then again, I was born and raised there.

Texas,
Not a bad place to live, but definately nowhere near as wide open as some of the western states. However, i think Texas has the most opportunity for jobs than any of the western states.

Mjldeckard,
We may be related. My Grandpa is from Virgin and my Grandma from Rockville. Grandpa was a Wilcox and Grandma was a Cox.

BUCKrub91
April 7, 2012, 08:25 PM
I highly doubt Phoenix has the highest murder rate... there are areas of phoenix that have allot of break ins based on the research ive done.. just gotta stay out of those areas like ANY CITY

I might try for PA also... atleast then I can easily drive down there for job interviews so I dont get turned down as much... I don't think they have much for wide open shooting areas like in the desert but they got some good hunting/camping areas and some good fishing caught the biggest brook trout Ive ever seen in PA... then proceeded to eat it..

BullfrogKen
April 9, 2012, 12:50 PM
Pennsylvania might not have wide open deserts, but there are areas of true wilderness up along the northern border, and along the mountain ranges.

The one thing Pennsylvania does have is private, non-for-profit gun clubs. They're all over the place. And they range from the $25 a year simple, no frills stuff to very fancy clubs with extremely-well maintained ranges and clubhouses, and very active memberships in the different shooting sports.

I once did a study of how many clubs I could go to within a 45 minute's drive from my house. I stopped counting after I hit a dozen. Within an hour's drive radius I could probably come up with 3 dozen clubs.

And then you've got the ranges owned by the Game Commission, but I avoid those.

I much prefer the private clubs. They usually are more liberal in the styles of shooting; I don't have to deal with the riff-raff that use public grounds; and they usually have active groups in a few different shooting disciplines.

I didn't really mature as a shooter until I gave up the "lone wolf" trips to the range and hooked up with a group of like-minded people in my chosen disciplines. To me the real value in these clubs aren't in the facilities, it's the people who populate them.

You guys out west can keep your shooting deserts. I like the communities of people, and all the many good friends I've made at these clubs along the way.

moewadle
April 9, 2012, 02:35 PM
I enjoyed your post, Bullfrog.....also I had been meaning to post here on this thread that I had read a year or two ago that Penn. has very high per capita rate of gunownership and that firearms are a very big part of that State's populace...meaning not gang-bangers in the inner-city but people like Bullfrogken who enjoy and actively participate in the shooting sports. If I were to move from Iowa I would certainly consider Penn. On our drives through there going east to other places I have found it an extremely scenic area with lots of forest, etc. In fact, the one and only time I saw a bear as road kill was in Penn.

ErikO
April 9, 2012, 04:00 PM
Missouri is nice and we have plenty of room.

BullfrogKen
April 9, 2012, 05:27 PM
Pennsylvania does seem to have the gun culture pretty firmly embedded.

We've got some great laws on the books. And thanks to several years of effort from Scott Perry and Daryl Metcalfe in the House, Kim Stolfer with Firearms Owners Against Crime, and a groundswell grassroots effort we got Castle Doctrine passed last year.

We've got a few silly stupid laws, but in all I feel better about our situation than most states.

Yes moewadle, Pennsylvania produces some excellent competitive shooters. I believe it has to do with the culture here, and the tremendous opportunity for statewide competition with all these clubs across the state. Pennsylvanians are well-represented at the Nationals at Camp Perry. One of the clubs I compete at even shuts down club-level competition for the month of August because so many of them go to Perry.

If I had to pick another state I'd look real hard at Tennessee and Virginia. Both those states have a lot to offer regarding the type of living and culture I'd enjoy, and an established shooting culture. Tennessee in particular.

Ranger30-06
April 9, 2012, 08:48 PM
Pennsylvania does seem to have the gun culture pretty firmly embedded.

We've got some great laws on the books. And thanks to several years of effort from Scott Perry and Daryl Metcalfe in the House, Kim Stolfer with Firearms Owners Against Crime, and a groundswell grassroots effort we got Castle Doctrine passed last year.

We've got a few silly stupid laws, but in all I feel better about our situation than most states.

Yes moewadle, Pennsylvania produces some excellent competitive shooters. I believe it has to do with the culture here, and the tremendous opportunity for statewide competition with all these clubs across the state. Pennsylvanians are well-represented at the Nationals at Camp Perry. One of the clubs I compete at even shuts down club-level competition for the month of August because so many of them go to Perry.

If I had to pick another state I'd look real hard at Tennessee and Virginia. Both those states have a lot to offer regarding the type of living and culture I'd enjoy, and an established shooting culture. Tennessee in particular.
Pennsylvania also has a veeeeeeeery good habit of immediately voting out any politician that even mentions anything anti gun. Ever notice why you never hear about some mayor from PA or Philly spouting anti gun bullcrap? Because the second they open their mouths, they're gone.

Voltia
April 9, 2012, 10:07 PM
Not sure I'd want to move to Texas or anywhere else with a Mexican Invasion going on.

Win73
April 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
Missouri is nice and we have plenty of room.
Missouri is nice. I grew up there. But now I am in Alabama. We have good gun laws. No classes to get a CCW. In my county I go to the sheriff's office, they do a background check on the computer, I pay them $15 and walk out with my permit.

In Alabama we have a total of three and a half month long deer season with a limit of two a day. The bow season opens in mid October and runs through January. The gun season opens in mid November and runs through January. Oh, I almost forgot, the spear season (yes, a spear is a legal deer hunting weapon in AL) opens in mid October and runs through January. So if you killed the legal limit everyday of the deer hunting season, you could legally kill about 210 deer each season. And you don't have to worry about tags or checking them in anywhere. There is a three buck season limit the last 3 or 4 seasons so 207 would have to be does. All you have to do is add big game to your hunting license which kicks the cost up to $24.

The cost of living is low here too.

Cearbhall
April 9, 2012, 11:34 PM
How do you Idaho folks like the Nampa area? I've seen some pretty cheap houses on the net there. I'd like to get away from Calistan before it's too late.

tri70
April 9, 2012, 11:57 PM
Outdoor Life had an issue with the best places to live for sportsman. Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri all ranked pretty high for turkey, deer, small game, hogs, fishing. Good gun laws and plenty of places to shoot.

BullfrogKen
April 10, 2012, 12:00 AM
Pennsylvania also has a veeeeeeeery good habit of immediately voting out any politician that even mentions anything anti gun. Ever notice why you never hear about some mayor from PA or Philly spouting anti gun bullcrap? Because the second they open their mouths, they're gone.

I suppose you meant that to be facetious.

We kept Ed Rendell in office for a second term, and he was definitely one of the most anti-gun governors I've been around. He made it his mission in life to get a Lost and Stolen gun bill passed, which proscribed criminal penalties for such an occurance. He also pushed hard for a one-gun-a-month bill. He'd go on the national news and talking head shows to lobby for stricter gun laws. Those measures failed, but he suffered very little politically.

And yes, we have people like Mayor Nutter in Philly who are decidedly anti-gun. And in the Democrat strongholds and urban areas they take anti-gun stances and survive quite well.

But when it comes to pushing anti-gun agendas through the state house, they lose. It doesn't survive state-wide.

And in the 2010 election the House, Senate, and Governor's seat all went Republican. Some of it could definitely be attributed to the previous administration's anti-gun policies and positions. Although truthfully a whole lot of it was carry-over from a backlash and rejection of the politics going on at the national level.

longdayjake
April 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
The Nampa area is a large metropolitan area. It isn't the wide open Idaho that you think of but it still benefits from Idaho's laws and government.

elrowe
April 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Kentucky has great gun laws, OC without a permit allowed, loaded pistol allowed in the car without a permit, conceal carry license $60 for 5 years. NFA allowed, Knob Creek and Buds Guns are here, so is Centerfire Systems. Lot of camping and fishing areas, Kentucky Speedway. Very cheap land, very low property taxes, no vehicle inspection, fireworks are allowed, still have a sense of freedom, lots of room to roam, there are public shooting areas. Major cities nearby are Cincinnati (just over the river), Lexington , Louisville, Covington. You only have to travel just 15 minutes out of a city before you get in the country. Kentucky is within a days drive from the East Coast.

No I do NOT work for Kentucky tourism...lol
Great, now Bud's is going to be even more crowded...

+1 on all of the above though... I'm ten minutes from downtown Cincinnati and had 12 deer in my yard last night, with three nice public hunting areas within an hour drive.

Turkey starts tomorrow!

JPG19
April 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Fayetteville, AR is exactly what you are wanting. Decent gun laws, unlimited outdoor adventures, and an abundance of economic opportunity. It is an absolutely beautiful place to live, and fairly central in relation to the rest of the country.

Lou McGopher
April 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
http://freedom.robocourt.com/

I highly recommend checking out the link above.
It has a tool that lets you "comprehensively ranks the American states on their public policies that affect individual freedoms in the economic, social, and personal spheres" based on a study by Mercatus. You can give different weights to different measurements of freedom (e.g. if gun rights are more important to you than gambling rights) to find which state has laws that best suit you.

jlbpa
April 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
I'm from Pennsylvania. I live in Kentucky. I've been to Tucson Arizona. I liked the fishing in Pennsylvania. Deer numbers are down in Pennsylvania. I like the hunting in Kentucky for deer and turkey because they are everywhere. I wish there were hogs and pheasants here. Fishing in Kentucky you need a good boat for big lakes and rivers...otherwise forget about fishing. Tucson Arizona is beautiful. Gun ranges. Wide open space you can drive off into. Looked like a wonderful place for a dirt bike. I really liked it there.

splattergun
April 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana all have lots of public land. Most respect 2A. Most have healthy economies. Most have excellent hunting on private and public land.

As for me, I live in Utah by choice. Deserts, forests, rivers and lakes, all within an hour of my home. Good economy, gun friendly culture, family oriented and the liquour laws are not as bad as rumored. I brew my own anyway,.

x_wrench
April 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
well, if you moved to Texas, you could probably make a living eradicating pigs. they have a big problem with them down there. you may even be able to trade off removing a set number of pigs for a hunting opportunity at some of the ranches. and you could have more free meat that you could shake a stick at as well. just remember they are pretty mean critters, so "bring enough gun". pick up a large pig roaster, a keg of beer, and you would have lots of friends fast!

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to decide on new state" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!