Silver Bullets Anyone?

PDA

March 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
Does anyone here have first hand experience crafting real silver bullets? If so, what advice can you offer regarding the casting of such a projectile? Do I need to add graphite to the mold before pouring to absorb the oxygen as the silver cools? How hot do I need to get the silver before pouring and how hot should the mold be? Do I need a custom mold for this? How do I flux the molten metal? Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silver Bullets Anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blarby
March 25, 2012, 01:09 AM
Real big 'yotes out there in the desert, eh ?

You aren't going to be fluxing ANYTHING at the 1760 f ( give or take) that silver requires.

You will need a significant furnace. Or at least a good torch setup.

Your lead pot isn't gonna work :)

In reality, if you have the need for this device, a stack of silver dimes in a 12 ga hull will do you a lot better.... and is a LOT easier to accomplish.

dmazur
March 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
The last time I read about this I think the recommended solution involved a lathe...for the reasons described in the above post.

March 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
I don't have a lead pot, however I do have welding equipment. I also have access to a high voltage induction heater. I think I can get it hot enough, but I am concerned about porosity in the metal. Have you tried this or have knowledge regarding silver casting? Any help is much appreciated.

GCBurner
March 25, 2012, 01:24 AM
You can't cast silver in a bullet mold made for lead without a LOT of modifications. Horror author Patricia Briggs documented the process for a History Channel show: http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/silver/silverbullets.shtml

Lost Sheep
March 25, 2012, 01:52 AM
You might try investment casting.

I don't know enough to say this would be easier than any other method, but it could work, I think and be practical if you don't want to make more than a few.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep

Mauser lover
March 25, 2012, 03:08 AM
What is wrong with lead?

Anyway, no I have not ever made a real silver bullet, but if I was going to make one (and I would only make one, not enough for the "Lone Ranger") I would probably machine it, instead of casting it.

If it doesn't matter too much to you, you could probably just get a silver jacket to form on a lead bullet via some electrical method; don't know what chemicals or how to electrify it, but it might work that way.

You aren't planning on shooting this are you?

38riverrat
March 25, 2012, 04:13 AM
I cast a silver ring over 50 years ago. I carved a mold out of cuttlebone and melted the silver quarters with a torch. This was when quarters were really silver.I used a steel ladle to melt the silver in. If I were going to make a silver bullet, I would look at using a lead bullet as a male plug, and try something like plaster of Paris to make a female mold. Or a sand mold. This would be an experiment though, I don't know if those are good for the temperature, though sand is used for bronze, and that probably melts at a higher temperature than silver.

rat

March 25, 2012, 07:20 AM
I talked to someone who suggested a cast iron mold. He said they all used to be cast iron (back in the day). I think I can make a go of it with a torch, cast iron pot, and cast iron mold, if I can find one. He has been a steel worker (weldor & fabrication) for a couple generations and said it is easy to melt silver with a torch (3000 deg F).

JLDickmon
March 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
There was an article in Guns and Ammo (?) many many many moons ago (I'm talking two or more decades), about "Lone Ranger Tech"
could he have cast his own silver bullets, reloaded his own cartridges, mixed his own black powder...
I think the result was an undersized bullet (negatively affecting accuracy) because the alloy supposedly "period correct" shrank too bad as it cooled..
that you could out run on foot, due to the powder chemistry...

kingmt
March 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
Have you talked to a jeweler? Cuttlebone can be bought at the pet shop(cheap). If this isn't going to be loaded & just a novelty you may find a burr bit to cut the shape or if it is close enough polish it down to the right shape.

tallpaul
March 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think old timers used to stack dimes in twelve gauge shells at one time... silver dimes or silver chunks should work if ya just need silver to penetrate a evil body?

Carl N. Brown
March 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
The 1897 Sears and Roebuck catalog listed loaded 10ga shotgun shells at 100 rounds for $1.45.

The idea that old timers would stack 18 dimes in 10ga shotshell ($3.60 for a double barrel fully loaded) when $3.60 would buy over 200 10ga shotshells with lead shot (or 72 mugs of cold beer), just strikes me as some dime novelist penning horse hockey.

I watched a show (?Wild West Tech?) that tested shotshells with coins against a hanging pig carcase. Coins are so high drag (lotsa air resistence for the weight) they had far less penetration than lead shot at normal shotgun ranges, and spread like crazy.

Samari Jack
March 25, 2012, 09:29 AM
I think old timers used to stack dimes in twelve gauge shells at one time... silver dimes or silver chunks should work if ya just need silver to penetrate a evil body?
Read a test report about the dimes in a shoot shell once in a magazine. The dimes thing was more fiction than fact. Doesn't work that well.

To the OP, if you need a place to practice with your silver bullets I have a 50 & 100 yd rifle range into a dirt bank behind my house. Also an indoor pistol range. I'll give you all the practice time you need.

JohnM
March 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
I've known several metal smiths over the years who cast with precious metals.
They all used the lost wax method which is a difficult and time consuming process.

armoredman
March 25, 2012, 11:35 AM
Don't waste time casting - even Mythbusters tried it, and the metal shrank badly when it cooled. Best way to make a silver bullet is with a lathe. Either that, or cast a lead slug with an inset silver spike.

dbarnhart
March 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
Everyone knows that zombies are first cousins to werewolves. You gotta use silver bullets to kill werewolves.

JohnM
March 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh please! someone tell me this project wasn't to make a bullet for werewolves:mad:this would be a joke, right?
I was thinking jewelry.

blarby
March 25, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hey, we have bullets professionally made for zombies....why not werewolves and vampires too ?

ZMAX sold out pretty much on day 1, and has been backordered in all of the popular calibers since about day 2.

With that in mind, I could think of a few people who would buy them.

Read a test report about the dimes in a shoot shell once in a magazine. The dimes thing was more fiction than fact. Doesn't work that well.

My grandpap was a big fan of the dime load. He used it in an amazingly stout 12ga load. I have seen its effectiveness on everything from hay bales, to waterbuckets, and to a side of pork ...twice on the pork.

Dimes are MORE than sufficient at ten yards to end the "good day walking and breathing" festival of anything in that 10 yard cone of effect.

Outside that cone...well....not what it was designed for. Its for puttin tha hurt on a room, old western style. Like they show in the movies, but with a doublegun it kinda works that way :)

If for some reason you loaded silver ones, I'm sure the results would not be dissimilar.

I'm pretty sure a were-anything defense would be like HD on a grizzly at the very least, with all the drama hitting a charging bear has been described to be and then some.

That article posted above about what it took to cast functional silver bullets for a rifle was VERY informative- and a good read, to boot !

dbarnhart
March 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
>>>Oh please! someone tell me this project wasn't to make a bullet for werewolvesthis would be a joke, right?<<<

Yes, my werewolf comment was just a joke. You guys have to deal with my wacky brain only now and then when I post. I gotta live with it 24/7 ;-)

moxie
March 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
This has been tried many times, with very little success. Except, of course, for the Lone Ranger and Tonto who got it right.

FROGO207
March 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
IMO if you are planning to shoot them the ballistics are dismal. Add that to the cost and I am thinking it is not worthwhile. If you are doing it for a novelty then I think that is cool.:cool: Use a lathe to turn one and that this is the fastest, most accurate way to make a correct dimension bullet for show. Also will be the easiest to polish as opposed to a cast one.:D

JLDickmon
March 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Barnhart..

so what are you supposed to use on chupacabra?

popper
March 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
Somebody did the Lone Ranger test years ago. IT DOESN'T WORK & VERY INACCURATE. Now turning bar stock might, they just tried cast.

SimplyChad
March 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
Why not cast too big then polish down?

Art708
March 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
make the bullet in wax, invest it, burn it out, melt the silver and use a small casting maching machine to cast it. If you know a dental technician who works in a lab he could do it for you easily.

fatcat4620
March 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
You can get some aluminum .458socom bullets if you just want the look.

popper
March 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
Seriously Somebody did the Lone Ranger test years ago. IT DOESN'T WORK & VERY INACCURATE. They were cast, pock-marked and didn't group at all. Now add the silver to lead for strength, yes.

March 27, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think it would look trick to have a set of silver .44 bullets in my gunbelt for my blackhawk .44mag. I don't plan on shooting them for target or accuracy. I can't reliably hit much of anything past 40 yards with pistol sights for that matter. Anyone here know where I can find cast iron bullet molds?

blarby
March 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Saeco

Curt Blunt
March 27, 2012, 01:53 PM
Gun World magazine, back in the sixties did this while a couple of the staff dressed up the the Lone Ranger and Tonto. The bullets cast in a Lyman rnfp mold came out undersized. That much I remember. So, if you just had to have one cast you'd need a mold appropriately larger in diameter to allow for the shrinkage. Let us know how it turns out.

mikeadams
March 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
If you have the money, you can always just buy them:

http://www.bulletforge.com/calibers.php

Kernel
March 27, 2012, 08:09 PM
Could electrolysis plate silver onto and copper jacketed bullet? If yes, the bullet would look like silver and require a tiny fraction of silver metal vs. a pure silver bullet.

Experiment. Items: glass mayonnaise jar, some wire, 9v battery, old silver dime, copper jacketed bullet, dilute vinegar solution…..

Hint: if you plate copper onto the dime, reverse the wires.

March 30, 2012, 06:21 PM
Kernel, that is the best idea I have heard of yet. I will try that and record what happens. Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Silver Bullets Anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!