Wanting .22 New Revolver

PDA

Tomcat47
March 25, 2012, 12:58 AM
Today I looked at .22 Revolvers:

Here are my contenders: ( All Stainless Steel )
Ruger SP101
Ruger Single - Six Convertible
Taurus 992 Convertible
Ruger Single "Ten"

I have 2 double action and 2 single action
I have 2 Convertibles

This is mainly to see opinions...I kinda want a convertible, but not deal breaker!

And I know there will be info on all four contenders.

I looked at some cheaper brands such as Heritage...and decided I wanted more in a revolver. Not Dissing Heritage although, just in a different market!

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting .22 New Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
moewadle
March 25, 2012, 02:05 AM
because when I shoot my New Vaquero or Colt .22 Peacemaker I get impatient with emptying the brass with the ejector rod one at a time. I like Smith and Wesson revolvers partly because you flip that cylinder out and hit the ejector rod and refill it. Note that I usually shoot my double-actions in single-action mode. So, I cannot support your candidates but would narrow them down to either the single-six convertible or the double-ten. I have a .22 Convertible, the .22 Peacemaker, but never have much desire to shoot magnum. So, if I were telling you what to do I would tell you to buy the double-ten because you get more shots before working the ejector rod. My wish for you, though, is buy an excellent used Smith and Wesson .22 made back in the 70s or before.

Stainz
March 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'd rather have the 3" 63 in that poll - it was my choice. I A-B-ed it with the new 4" SP-101 a friend brought to the range last Thanksgiving. My 3" 63, bought new a year earlier, was slicker - and grouped tighter. Oddly, he paid a premium to get an early SP-101 and actually paid just over what my 63 cost me a year earlier. Now, the Ruger is about a C-note less. It's not a bad choice - I just like my 63 better.

SA-only rimfires? Been there... done that... didn't want the tee-shirt. I shoot mostly DA, but a deal on new commemorative blued fixed sight Single Six came about some years ago. I owned it a month. Horribly inaccurate with .22LR - worse with the .22 WMR cylinder. If you get a Single Six, get one in SS and with an adjustable sight. Besides, $20/550 of Fed 36gr HP .22 LR is a lot more fun to blast away with than .22 WMR at $9-$15+/50.

Heck, I'll go back and vote for the new 4" SP-101! Like the 3" & 5" 63's, it is an 8-shooter.

Stainz

ColtPythonElite
March 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'd go with a DA, especially for heavy plinking. After about 3 cylinders full of loading/unloading a SA, I am finished for the day and move on to something else...With that said, out of your list I would pick the SP101.

CraigC
March 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
You guys need to spend more time with your SA's. I reckon it's all a matter of what you're used to and what you like because I have no problem at all burning through a 550rd bulk pack in a couple hours with the Single Six.

Of those listed, Single Ten all the way but I would prefer the blued 4 5/8" model from Lipsey's.

Of all, I prefer an Old Model with the dovetail rear sight and XR3 grip frame.

GEM
March 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ruger Bearcat SS - very cute. Not expensive and beginners like it.

I like it to plink and its size.

ColtPythonElite
March 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
550 rounds in 2 hours is about 5 rounds a minute. That is some fast loading/shooting...I guess I need more practice. I can't do it that fast for that long.

CraigC
March 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Reloading takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 15secs.

Michael R.
March 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Don't buy the taurus. Buying a taurus is like buying a ford f350 with a 6l engine, you either get a good one or a bad one.

Tomcat47
March 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
I should have listed the Bearcat! ....... :banghead:

I know the Convertible Bearcats have hit collector status at well over 1k!

And as far as Taurus.... I have NO quams about buying them!

I may be lucky?? But luck only goes so far! I have had and still have a lot of them autos and revolvers....never a dissapointment!

The Single Ten is probably at top of list.... I just wish they made it in convertible!

For that reason I was looking at the new Taurus 992...

Jaymo
March 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm a little biased toward the Single Six because I like them so much.
Never had a problem with Taurus, but I love the S6.

roaddog28
March 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
I voted for the SP101 22LR. That is because I own one. I also own a single six and love the revolver. Slower loading never bothered me using single actions. I think for a all around revolver a SP101 is the best option. I love the S&W revolvers but they are just priced too high.
Regards,
Howard

Tomcat47
March 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
I actually looked at a S&W 617 Stainless Saturday, but it was North of $650....

I have seen a SP101 at $400.00 used ... should have grabbed it! Hind sight is 20/20 I suppose.

And I was even setting the budget for that $400-$450 range.

The SP101 is probably out of budget, but I was interested in it enough to make it a contender.

They have one on Gunbroker for $690, but some "jack-wagon" bobbed the hammer!......:banghead:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278463062

CraigC
March 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
The SP's are not cheap but you should be able to find one for not much over $500. It's the only new DA .22LR I would consider. IMHO, the new SP's would rank higher on the list than the first run of .22's.

Prosser
March 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
The SP101 and Bearcat come with .221-2" barrels. In other words, true .22lr.
The SS come with up to .226" barrels, and are really .22 mags that shoot .22lr in a pinch.

The Ruger Single 10 is weird. It comes with the bigger barrel, sometimes as small as .223", which my Stainless Single Six has. According to Jeff Quinn, and the woman I talked to at Ruger, the 10 was VERY accurate.

Strange stuff.

The Bear Cat is too small for my hands. The SSS I have is as well, and the frame is small enough so I don't feel I get the benefit of having it for practice with my big guns.

Acceptable SSS dimensions for Ruger are a long way off from Freedom Arms.

If you want a .22 mag, get a Ruger SSS. I like accurate .22lrs, and you get what you pay for.

chicharrones
March 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
I have 2 double action and 2 single action
I have 2 Convertibles

I'm curious what you already have. :)

MCgunner
March 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
They are ALL desirable guns IMHO. I had to go with the SS convertible, though. I started with a single action convertible, though not a Ruger, and have a little spot in my heart reserved for cowboy .22s. :D

kbbailey
March 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
I love my .22's and have shot them twice in the last 3 days.
I got my first SS6 back in '77, when I was 13.
.....just a thought here, if you will...
Without the aid of speedloaders, you can't reload a d/a any faster than you can a s/a.
with a little practice, you can have the sixth empty in the air, before the first and second empty has had a good bounce on the ground.
I say SS6 convertable, then you can get .22mags for it too.

Tomcat47
March 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry chiccarones ..... :uhoh:

I meant I had 2 Double Action revolvers listed as choices..Taurus/SP101 the Taurus being a Convertible!
The Ruger SA-Single-Six and Single Ten...the six being a Convertible as well.

2 Double action
2 Convertible

My Bad!

Right now I have .22 autos...traded my revolvers off a short time ago!...Now regretting it! I had a single -six and a Taurus 94 and wish I still had them!

CraigC
March 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Without the aid of speedloaders, you can't reload a d/a any faster than you can a s/a.
Exactly! Folks don't seem to realize this and while a DA certainly unloads faster, I've always been able to charge a single action quicker than a double action.

paintballdude902
March 26, 2012, 02:44 AM
a single six was my first pistol........... but after 2 cylinders i get bored with it.

flyingtiger85
March 26, 2012, 03:06 AM
Well,3 of your choices are Rugers and 2 are single actions how about a Ruger Bearcat.I just picked one up several days ago and I love it.I filled my right pocket full of 22lr and loaded and shot it for an hour and half the first day.They shoot great and make a neat snappy noise out the barrel.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4492/032212104901.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/032212104901.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4738/032312120900.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/032312120900.jpg/)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8897/032312124000.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/032312124000.jpg/)

ArchAngelCD
March 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
I can't get behind the SP101 because it's too heavy and I hate the triggers on all SP101's. I do however like the Ruger Single-Six convertible and that's what I voted for.

The Bearcat is a great SA .22 and it can be easily carried as a pocket pistol. IMO Ruger makes great SA revolvers, I own a bunch of them! I'm not sure about the Ruger Single-Ten yet but I guess time will tell...

CajunBass
March 26, 2012, 04:33 AM
None of the above.

Smith & Wesson "22 Combat Masterpiece" (AKA Model 18). I got one for about the same price as a Ruger SP-101, in 22 about six months ago. You just have to hunt for them a little.

moewadle
March 26, 2012, 06:26 AM
You cannot reload a D/A any faster than a S/A without speed loaders but you can unload the empties of a D/A a heck of a lot faster. That was my point above.

chicharrones
March 26, 2012, 07:45 AM
Sorry chiccarones ..... :uhoh:

I meant I had 2 Double Action revolvers listed as choices..Taurus/SP101 the Taurus being a Convertible!
The Ruger SA-Single-Six and Single Ten...the six being a Convertible as well.

2 Double action
2 Convertible

My Bad!

Right now I have .22 autos...traded my revolvers off a short time ago!...Now regretting it! I had a single -six and a Taurus 94 and wish I still had them!

Gotcha!

I admit I like the versatility and potential of the Taurus since it is the only double action convertible I know of. I wish Taurus would lighten it up by removing the full barrel underlug, which I think is unnecessary on a .22 LR/.22 Mag handgun.

I do have a Ruger Single Six convertible which an awesome gun to fire .22 Mag out of, but if I were sticking to .22LR only I'd personally pick the 8-shot Ruger SP101 from your list. :cool:

chicharrones
March 26, 2012, 07:55 AM
I can't get behind the SP101 because it's too heavy and I hate the triggers on all SP101's.

I can understand a preference in triggers, but the weight is not an a problem with the SP101 in .22LR in my opinion.

The lightest weight Single Six I can find on Ruger's website is 32 oz. The weight of the SP101 in .22 LR is listed as 30 oz. Since the OP is looking at stainless, the lightest single action rimfire Ruger is the Single Ten at a listed 38 oz.

Not counting a Bearcat, which is not in the poll.

CraigC
March 26, 2012, 08:13 AM
...you can unload the empties of a D/A a heck of a lot faster.
True and conceded but reloading closes the gap.

MCgunner
March 26, 2012, 10:15 AM

I've owned both, can reload a swing out cylinder quite a bit quicker. I dump all 6 at once, grap rounds three at a time from the bulk pack and drop 'em in. Single actions require ONE at a tiiiiimmmmmmeeeee. However, I really don't care about reload speed. I ain't the guy that loads all 300 of his magazines before the range trip. My range costs me 30 bucks a year, not charged by the minute. I take my sweet time and enjoy myself. Hell, I shoot a lot of cap and ball, lately. I can fire up a bulk pack of .22 with a single action in the time it takes to reload a cap and ball revolver a few times. Who the hell cares about reload time? Not me.

CraigC
March 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
Who the hell cares about reload time?
I do, because I want to be "good" with a single action. I've shot the snot out of K-22's and single actions for 25yrs and the single action hands down loads faster. You have to deliberately insert each cartridge into the chambers of a DA. With a single action, all you have to do is drop the cartridge into the loading port and it finds its way home. You grab three at a time and insert them, I grab all five (or six) at once and drop them in. Your lack of speed is in your technique.

MCgunner
March 26, 2012, 10:37 AM
I do, because I want to be "good" with a single action. I've shot the snot out of K-22's and single actions for 25yrs and the single action hands down loads faster.

BS....but what ever. :rolleyes:

I insert 2 or 3 at a time in my DA. I don't 'have" to insert one at a time. I can hold three in my fingers and load 'em all. I can also walk and chew gum at the same time. :rolleyes: Also, I hit an ejector and BAM, they're all out at once.

If I'm really after reload speed, I go to my autos.

CraigC
March 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
BS....but what ever....If I'm really after reload speed, I go to my autos.
No need to get defensive. I reckon that's one way to look at it. You can call BS on 25yrs of actual, practical experience, tens upon tens of thousands of rounds, including 2000-3000rds a month over the last several years if you like but it's YOUR technique that is lacking. I've been working hard at proficiency, meanwhile you "take my sweet time and enjoy myself". So the difference in intent is obvious. I don't care how many you load at once, unless you're doing all six with a speedloader. You still have to deliberately insert them. I can load an SA without even looking at it and it has little bearing on speed.

Time yourself and see. The DA ejects quicker and the SA reloads quicker but I doubt you'll see much difference overall.

Either way there's no reason to get into a heated argument over it. :rolleyes:

If I'm really after reload speed, I go to my autos.
How that's relevant I have no idea.

CajunBass
March 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
On the speed of reloading thing. I've never figured out why people are in such a hurry to shoot up their ammo. :confused:

kbbailey
March 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
As far as the reload speed issue goes, I think the d/a gets the nod. I do think that you shouldn't bet against an experienced s/a shooter vs an inexperienced d/a shooter in getting 12 rds downrange from an empty start without speedloaders........anyway....not sure if that helps the OP choose a revolver, but my $.02 anyway.

chicharrones
March 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Concerning the unload and reload discussion, I guess its a good thing Ruger doesn't make a break open double action rimfire. Although, that would be interesting. :D

libertygun
March 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
the ruger single is just a sweet gun, and for the money how can you go wrong....but I am bias otherwise I wouldn't own so many

chicharrones
March 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
I do, because I want to be "good" with a single action. I've shot the snot out of K-22's and single actions for 25yrs and the single action hands down loads faster. You have to deliberately insert each cartridge into the chambers of a DA. With a single action, all you have to do is drop the cartridge into the loading port and it finds its way home.

Are you talking loading speed in a centerfire SA revolver or a rimfire SA revolver? My Single Six's loading gate opening is much larger than the chamber diameter and not really aligned since the small chamber is spaced away from the base pin a bit. When I try to use it as a funnel (my word for your described technique) the cylinder and the gun has to be wiggled and jiggled for the rimfire to find its way in.

I can definitely see your funnel technique working very well on a larger caliber where the chamber is closer in size to the loading gate opening.

As a side note, a new Ruger Single Six tends to have tight chambers. After only a few cylinders fired, not all ammo will just drop in. Some of the chambers will need a push to seat it all the way home. Of course, some chamber polishing could help that.

CraigC
March 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
Are you talking loading speed in a centerfire SA revolver or a rimfire SA revolver?
Both but it is much easier with an Old Model Ruger than a New Model. You can't do that with a large frame rimfire like the USFA 12/22. Because the loading port is sized for a .45Colt.

I've never figured out why people are in such a hurry to shoot up their ammo.
We all do what we do for different reasons.

22-rimfire
March 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Everyone has their opinions about single action vs double action reload time with 22 revolvers. I personally prefer double actions simply because it is easier to dump out the empties and begin reloading.

I don't shoot most of my DA revolvers DA only for the most part, so from a shooting stand point I have no preference.

If I were getting a single action today, it would be a Ruger Single Ten. If I were buying a double action 22, it would most likely be a S&W M617 or M63. But of your double action choices, it would be the new Ruger SP-101 in 22. So, I did not respond to your poll choices as I am a fence straddler.

Jaymo
March 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
When I want to shoot a .22 quickly, I load up one of my .22 semiauto rifles or my Ruger Mark 2 and let fly.
BUT, normally, when I shoot a .22 I shoot slow fire just like with my cap and ball.

I can also load up my Rossi .22 pump, and just hold the trigger back while stroking the forend. It will really spit them out.

788Ham
March 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
I have 3 .22 revolvers/pistols, if I didn't have these already, I'd go for the SP 101. I have the 101 in .357 and love it, they aren't, in my opinion heavy at all, just choice I guess.

Tomcat47
March 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
In case no one knows this about the Single "Ten"...which I found out on youtube... You can Load Two rounds at a time at the load gate!

At least they thought of that when they engineered it! Obviously you have to plunge them out one at a time, but when reloading, each click puts two holes at load gate!

I liked That! I am leaning more toward the Single "Ten" I think....

I am also thinking CCI Mini Mag .22 LR while not a .22 WMR just might suffice out of the "ten" with a 5.5" Barrel. And at around $400 and change is what I am seeing.

Here is video from Gunblast...I like this Guy!
http://youtu.be/q1z6v3ed4U4

chicharrones
March 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
A Single Ten would make a great choice. :cool:

UpTheIrons
March 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
I voted for the SP101 because I want one, too!

I've got a Single-Six convertible and love it, but I'm looking to get into the DA game, too.

Sergei Mosin
March 28, 2012, 04:56 AM
This is something I have been contemplating, with nearly the same list - replace the Taurus with the Bearcat and there you are.

I like the Single Six convertible for the extra cylinder. I don't like that it's really a .22 WMR gun with a .22 LR cylinder.

I like the Single Ten for the extra rounds, but I don't like the big ugly front sight.

I really like the Bearcat. It is a quality plinker in classic single-action configuration.

I really like the SP101. It is a modern and affordable incarnation of the classic kit gun, as good a plinker as the Bearcat with greater utility.

If I can stop buying rifles long enough to save a few pennies for a new pistol, I will probably buy the SP101.

Steelworker
March 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
I really like the older sp101s, but no way am I buying one with that goofy fiber optic piece of crap for a front sight. ever.

CraigC
March 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
I like the Single Ten for the extra rounds, but I don't like the big ugly front sight.
The sights are easily and inexpensively changed. The front sight is held in place with a single screw.

MCgunner
March 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
CraigC, I do not lack experience, myself. I started shooting revolvers in the mid 60s. I got my first centerfire (excluding cap and ball) in the mid 70s. My first revolver (other than shooting my uncle's K22) was a Hawes .22 with an extra magnum cylinder. I own 26 handguns now, autos, DA revolvers, and single action.

So, pull the "expert" card if you must. Moot anyway unless we could make a range trip together with a timer. :D

CraigC
March 28, 2012, 11:00 AM
I own 26 handguns now...
I'm not trying to "pull the expert card" or sound elitist. I own that many single actions alone, not to mention nine DA's and ten autos. I've been working diligently for years to build my skill with a single action. I don't race motorcycles, play golf, go fishing, build hot rods, buy a new vehicle every two years, drink beer, smoke cigarettes, chase loose women, raise children or have a half dozen other things to occupy my time. Shooting is what I do, along with wasting time on the internet talking about it and having meaningless arguments like this one. I'm not trying to brag, pound my chest or inflate my ego but you 'may' consider for a moment that I 'may' know what I'm talking about. Rather than passing judgment based on age.....like everybody else does. That is, before dragging the thread into the mud with cries of "BS".

22-rimfire
March 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
I am no expert, but I do have some good experience with a wide range of 22 handguns. I seldom say this, but I own way more than 26 just in 22LR. But that means nothing really if you don't shoot them and learn about them. The Taurus in the other ongoing thread sort of gets me thinking... I own no Taurus handguns. Shot them, but don't own one.

4 of the last 5 handguns purchased have been 22's.

MCgunner
March 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
I see a 12 target revolver challenge, Miculek against Craig. :D Of course, he cheats, moon clips and speed loaders.

Well, I raced motorcycles, worked, shot various forms of competition, fished, but I guess I missed out on the dedication for speed loading single actions....darn. I ain't even that fast swapping cylinders on my 58 Remmy.

I'll put it this way, I and MOST folks will be able to reload a DA .22 revolver faster than an SA revolver, individual experts not-with-standing, as if it matters. :rolleyes:

Prosser
March 29, 2012, 12:26 AM
CraigC:
What caliber is the easiest for you to drop in when loading? Mine seems to be .475L

I think Ross Seyfried might still give Craig a run for his money;-) He's settled on .45 Colt.

CraigC
March 29, 2012, 09:39 AM
Like I said, I'm no expert and would NEVER place myself on the level with someone like Seyfried, let alone a speedmaster like Miculek. There are plenty of guys in the old Sixgunner.com crowd who I would hate to have to shoot against. Jim Taylor, Terry Murbach and Mark Hargrove being notable examples.

The best I can do is to fire five shots, reload and fire five more in 18secs.

.22LR cartridges load very quickly and easily into something like a Single Six. Switch over to the USFA 12/22 and it becomes difficult because the loading port is sized for .38-40, .44-40, .44Spl and .45Colt. Those two bottlenecks slip right in when loaded with RNFP's. Loading the average .44Spl or .45Colt cartridges I use is a little more deliberate because SWC's tend to hang on the shoulder. RNFP's or LBT's glide right in. The heavier the bullet the better. Can't comment on the .475 because I don't own a single action in that chambering but when the cartridge is almost as large as the loading port, it becomes a little tricky then too.

I and MOST folks will be able to reload a DA .22 revolver faster than an SA revolver...
Not if they do it the way I do. Rather than the way you do it. Like I've said before, it's mostly about your technique and because you "take my sweet time and enjoy myself".

MCgunner
March 29, 2012, 11:26 AM
Not if they do it the way I do. Rather than the way you do it. Like I've said before, it's mostly about your technique and because you "take my sweet time and enjoy myself".

If I hit with the first shot, there's no need to reload in the first place. Why is reloading speed with a single action such a big deal? I carry a 9mm autoloader and a spare magazine. I'm much faster with that than with a revolver and speedloaders and, hell, the gun holds 11 rounds. I'm not related to Jerry Miculek. And, I ain't going to get in a gun fight with a single action, let alone a single action .22, in the first place! I love my Blackhawks for hunting, but they ain't PDWs. They're heavy, too big for a pocket, and slow. When I go to the range to plink, I ain't in no rush. I enjoy myself. I don't work on reload speed with .22s, even .22 autos, rather ACCURACY. A rabbit is a small target at 25 yards. :D And, a lot of the times, I'm plinking with a cap and ball revolver, Colt, Remington replicas or my ROA. Tell me how fast you can reload THOSE. :rolleyes:

And, 18 seconds is fast for a single action, I'm probably more in the 30 seconds at best range just guessing, might be more like 45 or 60, but I'll have to time myself at the range sometime with my DA kit gun. I think I can beat even THAT, but not sure, so make no claims cause I never tried to reload the thing that fast. It's a DA gun, so I can rip the first 5 and the second 5 out faster, that's for sure.

We were shooting a pepper popper match once, a 5 county law enforcement match which I won with my .45 caliber Ruger P90 (an autoloader), and I asked to try the 4 poppers with my .45 Colt Blackhawk after the match was over. I tried shooting too fast and lacked one popper, had to reload. I remember making the comment to my buddy who was running the match that "I know how Custer felt, now." LOL

CraigC
March 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
Why is reloading speed with a single action such a big deal?
Apparently it's a big enough deal to some folks that they try a single action one time and then give up on it. Which is what I was responding to.....

I get impatient with emptying the brass with the ejector rod one at a time.
SA-only rimfires? Been there... done that... didn't want the tee-shirt.
After about 3 cylinders full of loading/unloading a SA, I am finished for the day and move on to something else...

My point is that some say that they don't like single actions because they're slow to reload. My answer is, "they don't have to be". My point is that it is the shooter and his technique that is "slow". That's not the sixgun's fault. Maybe I need to do a video and put it on YouTube because I've never seen one where the shooter did it quickly. Even "hickok45" is not too quick on his reloads.

Without the aid of speedloaders, you can't reload a d/a any faster than you can a s/a. with a little practice, you can have the sixth empty in the air, before the first and second empty has had a good bounce on the ground.
This is a true statement obviously made by someone who knows their way around a single action.

MCgunner
March 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
My point is that some say that they don't like single actions because they're slow to reload. My answer is, "they don't have to be". Maybe I need to do a video and put it on YouTube because I've never seen one where the shooter did it quickly. Even "hickok45" is not too quick on his reloads.

Okay, well, I finally get your point. But, you gotta admit it takes some dedication that most aren't going to want to put in to get that speed down.

Why should anyone care how fast they can reload, anyway, aside from self defense confrontations in which, even you have to admit, the autoloader wins? That is, of course, unless you're doing some sort of game with the SA revolver like cowboy shooting, I can understand the dedication for that. I mean, I know you're right, lots of folks whine and cry over slow reload times. I guess if they're paying by the minute for range time, that might matter to 'em. Me, my club costs me 30 bucks a year and when I go out there, I'm there to enjoy myself as much as practice. I see guys post that they have 50 magazines they load the night before just so they won't have to take the time to do it at the range. If they're doing a lot of run and gun, I can see multiple magazines, but I'm a guy that shoots black powder. I shoot 6, sit down and load all six rounds one at a time, powder first, filler next, ball next, cap, reinstall cylinder. That turns a lot of guys off of black powder, but not me. I like shooting the old smoke poles.

Anyway, I do get THAT point. But, I doubt many folks are going to be swayed to get a single action just because YOU are blazing fast at reloading it. :D Me, I don't own 'em for reload speed. They have other virtues. I'm primarily using them outdoors either for hunting or hiking. A .45 Colt Blackhawk is a wonderfully strong and powerful revolver without being as heavy as a carbine which a lot of powerful DAs are, like X frames and Alaskans and such.

BUT, this discussion is about .22s. I haven't owned a SA .22 since my old Hawes broke. I do have that little Rossi DA M511, no longer in production and this thread is about CURRENT new revolvers, but the rest of my .22s are autoloaders. I'm not sure why I don't have a SA because I like 'em, just there are other guns that always are higher on my wish list. I only have 26 handguns, ya know. I can't afford more'n one a year, maybe two at the moment, until I start getting my gubment checks (social security) in November. I don't know that I'll even want a SA .22 then, though. I have a lot of fun with my autos and one DA revolver and they suit all my .22 needs. In .22s, there ain't much better FOR THE MONEY than a Mk 2 or 3 (I have a Mk2) or a Buckmark. I'm thinkn' I'll get a Buckmark for a next .22. .22s are neat. You can own a lot of 'em and don't need to justify the need to one's self or one's wife. :D They're just for fun, perhaps small game, perhaps (if you're into it) competition. They're reasonably priced (aside from Smith and Wesson) and they're cheap to shoot. Whether it's a SA or DA or auto, they're all fun.

Prosser
March 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
I want to thank CraigC for correcting a misconception I've long had with Single Action .22lrs. I never really tried to quickly reload, something I can't say about loading a Colt Trooper I was stupid enough to trade in on a Freedom Arms.

The FA 83 was a pain since the chambers were so tight the rounds wouldn't go in or out easily.

Now I see why Ruger made the cylinder throats and chambers huge on the SSS.

I will work on my technique.

BCRider
March 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
I'd like to bring up a detail which I haven't seen discussed much in this thread. Simply the difference in the grips between the typical DA and SA styles. They are very different in the style of hold to the point where I feel you would want to try out and select the gun based more on that feature than on the style of reloading.

Another possible factor is what the gun will be used for. Around here our Speed Steel matches have a class for rimfire guns of both semi auto and revolver as separate classes. If you have something available that is similar you'll want to select a revolver with that style of timed event in mind. For the most part such an event pretty much demands a DA with swing out or top break style reloading.

chicharrones
March 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
I'd like to bring up a detail which I haven't seen discussed much in this thread. Simply the difference in the grips between the typical DA and SA styles.

Good point. For whatever reason my hand fits a SAA style grip rather poorly and it does affect my target shooting a bit. For whatever reason, I can shoot a DA revolver with its more "modern" grip a bit more accurately almost every time.

The other thing some people mention between the SA and the DA/SA revolvers is lock time. Those tall, long swinging SA hammers vs. those short, quick swinging DA/SA hammers. I'm not a good enough shooter to notice the difference, so I'd like to hear from some people that can give me their experiences with that. If y'all wouldn't mind. :cool:

MCgunner
March 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
One is supposed to rotate the gun back into firing position with the little finger (on high caliber guns) and the little finger rides under the grip on a SA. The gun rolls in the hand on firing and absorbs the recoil nicely. I like that with heavy recoil calibers and the single action. On a .22, it's not so big a deal and, yeah, if you're used to the DA style grips, you might not like SA grip frames. There are full hand grips that can be had, though, Hogue for one.

Also, the lock time is longer, i reckon, and I've heard this gripe, but it doesn't seem to mess me up any. Flintlocks are a lot worse, ya know, then there's wheel locks. :D

I'm not sure what these are, got 'em cheap out of a box at a gun show, but they're comfy, on my .357 Blackhawk I hunt some with.

http://i39.tinypic.com/10e1q1j.jpg

Alimony Bob
March 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Get an older smith k22 with 8" barrel. Excellent practice. Kids can use it. Go squirrel hunting in back yard. Lasts forever. Will hold if not increase in value.

Swing
March 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
The Ruger SP101 is a pocket anvil, but it works. :)

Tomcat47
March 29, 2012, 11:47 PM
I am still shopping.....They are all still in the hat as choices! I was leaning towards the Single "Ten" and still am, however in my area they are "out of control" on pricing.....

2 Local shops are over $100 higher than Gunbroker? I even told them....!

Something new I suppose...but it is not like they are hard to get.

Weight will not bother me nor speed of reloading...this will not be a CCW by no means. It will prob always be with me in truck...and be plinked with all the time!

weregunner
March 30, 2012, 01:16 AM
That's why I got the Taurus 94, a batch of H&R or NEF revolvers.
Those are good plinking guns to have. Learned my long range gunning with those.

Read a few articles on long range gunning and applied the same principles to the rimfire handguns.

The Ruger Single Six is the new plinking gun. I don't mind having to reload after 6 rounds are shot.

PzGren
March 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
I personally prefer double action revolvers and therefore would recommend an older S&W K22/M17, or a S&W 617.

Talking about conversions. Did you have something like this in mind?:D

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/ConversionII.jpg

forestdavegump
March 30, 2012, 01:55 AM
Single Ten!

Tomcat47
April 3, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hi all, Today I grabbed a .22 Single Six......

Not really what I was after, but I think I will like it for plinking and squirrel hunting???

I was not looking for a 9-1/2" Barrel.....:uhoh:
I was not looking for "Blue" steel.....:uhoh:
I had pretty much decided on the Single "Ten" (prices were too high tho) :fire:
Looking hard at SP101 as alternative (prices were also high) :scrutiny:
Taurus not real easy to find in stainless :mad:

Went by LGS right at closing to just breeze through....and they were tagging new "used" inventory to put out tomorrow and the girl behind counter held it up to tag it..........:eek:

Is That .22 Single Six??? .... Yes its a .22!...she handed it to me.....

$319.00... maybe not best price in world, but fair....and we began paperwork as they locked doors...so it was worth it...they stayed over to process it.

:D Thanks for everyones input, and I am still looking for something less than 15" long ...:what: .... so this was really an impulse buy I guess...

One question I did ask her however was...Is there a Magnum Cylinder with it?

She said she was not sure? The Guy that would know will be there tomorrow..

It is my thought that ALL New Models were convertibles, and came with both?

Am I right or wrong?

BCRider
April 3, 2012, 03:20 AM
You can look up the serial number to find out the year of manufacture and if it's a convertable or not on the Ruger website. Just do what you need to find the owner's manuals and it'll let you see the serial number blocks to years of manufacturing.

You're going to need one helluva holster to hold all that barrel...:D

BCRider
April 3, 2012, 03:23 AM
Just another thought... but if it were me that came across a long barrel SS such as yours I'd feel a mighty powerful urge to make up a new rear frame for a shoulder stock to replicate this beast;

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_revolver_carbine.jpg

To the best of my knowledge no one makes such a thing for .22LR plinking. And that's a shame to my thinking.

chicharrones
April 3, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hi all, Today I grabbed a .22 Single Six......

Not really what I was after, but I think I will like it for plinking and squirrel hunting???

I was not looking for a 9-1/2" Barrel.....:uhoh:
I was not looking for "Blue" steel.....:uhoh:

Very nice and congrats! :cool:

I got one of those myself only a few months ago. The extra barrel length should be able to get a bit more velocity out of a .22 LR or the .22 Mag if you can find that extra cylinder. I find I like shooting the Mag more than the LR out of my Single Six.

Here's a webpage with one person's experience. http://www.fiveshot.org/guests/maximag.htm

http://www.lssdigital.com/lwpilot/rs6-3.jpg

45_auto
April 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
The best I can do is to fire five shots, reload and fire five more in 18secs.

And you think that's faster than you can work a DA?

Now I'm going to have to get out one of my DA S&W 63's and see just how fast I can shoot 6, reload, then shoot 6 more without the speedloaders.

I have a hard time believing that it could take more than about 10 or 12 seconds total (2 to shoot, 6 to 8 to reload, 2 more to shoot).

chicharrones
April 3, 2012, 07:15 PM
Just another thought... but if it were me that came across a long barrel SS such as yours I'd feel a mighty powerful urge to make up a new rear frame for a shoulder stock to replicate this beast;

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/images/1873_revolver_carbine.jpg

To the best of my knowledge no one makes such a thing for .22LR plinking. And that's a shame to my thinking.

The closest I know of is the Rossi DA revolver carbine. It's not a old style cowboy gun, that's for sure.

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=223&category=15&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

contender
April 3, 2012, 07:31 PM
the ruger single six.............that is a lifetime revolver and least for my actual needs.

i have been thinking lately about something more trim.....the North American Arms line comes to mind either for a pocket piece or something a tad bit bigger such as the NAA Earl.

don't really need one........but since when does needs have anything to do with wants........

Tomcat47
April 3, 2012, 09:49 PM
I called the GS today and talked to the guy....It did not come in with a extra cylinder....but he knows the guy pretty well that brought it in, going to give him a call... I told him I would offer $50 for the cylinder.

After that I called Ruger....It is 1988 New Model and it did ship with both cylinders! However, I did find out something surprising! If I can not aquire the original cylinder...Ruger will fit it with a new one for only $147.00

I thought that was a nice price for the cylinder and fitting! They said, just mail it in, they would fit it and send it back!

She also confirmed it had the .224 bore, which sometimes gives lower accuracy from .22LR....but I shot Remington bulk in it today and it done good enough for me...I dialed it in and started plinking rocks off the the bank at about 30 yards....Im good...I can hit rocks the size of bottle caps consistent...no complaining here...;)

If I have issues I will get a Paco Kelly accurizer...but right now I do not see it necessary, and the remington bulk I shot today was measuring .224-.225 with micrometers.

Ratshooter
April 3, 2012, 10:37 PM
If I have issues I will get a Paco Kelly accurizer...but right now I do not see it necessary, and the remington bulk I shot today was measuring .224-.225 with micrometers.

There you go. I did the same thing with 6 different brands of 22lr ammo and they all measured .224-.225. I never understood all the noise about the rugers having oversized bores and not shooting tha well with 22lr ammo. Every SS I have owned would shoot as good as I could hold. I was the weak link in the system.

If your SS doesn't shoot as well as you think it should then try a different ammo. I took my SS and all the 22 ammo I owned to the range one day and gave it all a try. It was a real eye openner to see the difference in POI and group spread from the same gun using different brands and types of ammo.

I voted for the Ruger single six but I also really like my S&W model 34-1 I bought in a pawn shop about 4 years ago for $250.00 OTD. I don't think they knew what they had.

CraigC
April 4, 2012, 01:37 PM
And you think that's faster than you can work a DA?
Where did I say that???

mdauben
April 4, 2012, 04:14 PM
I think out of you list, I'd pick the Ruger Single-Ten. I'd rather hanve the extra four shots than the .22MAG capability.

45_auto
April 4, 2012, 06:06 PM
Where did I say that???

Your Posts #20 and 30 seemed to say that to me, but I thought you were pretty clear about it in Post #53:

I and MOST folks will be able to reload a DA .22 revolver faster than an SA revolver...

Not if they do it the way I do.

chicharrones
April 4, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks to this thread I actually timed myself with the DA and SA shoot-unload-load-shoot with no speedloader test. I did do a full 6 shots instead of 5. It was fun and I learned a little, like I can still do the DA drill in about half the time of the SA. I never got my time with my Single Six faster than 25 seconds, but if I keep on practicing . . . :D

Then I was thinking of using some sort of straw to hold 6 .22LR rounds to feed into my Single Six while rotating the cylinder. Hmmmmm. :D

45_auto
April 4, 2012, 08:17 PM
I plan to try the same thing, expect the same results as you.

Probably won't get a chance till this weekend, though.

btg3
April 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
Then I was thinking of using some sort of straw to hold 6 .22LR rounds to feed into my Single Six while rotating the cylinder.
That was part of my thinking also, but it led me to stick with a semi-auto.;)

chicharrones
April 4, 2012, 09:43 PM
That was part of my thinking also, but it led me to stick with a semi-auto.;)

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/16.gif

I do have a few "straws" for my autoloaders, too.

CraigC
April 5, 2012, 08:21 AM
Your Posts #20 and 30 seemed to say that to me, but I thought you were pretty clear about it in Post #53:
Uh, no, I said you can "reload" one faster, or more specifically "load". I never said I could fire five rounds, reload and fire five more more quickly than a DA. Because I've never timed myself doing it. I've conceded all along that a DA empties quicker. Basically making the difference between the two a wash and more dependent on shooter skill than anything. I think the time it takes to load one without speedloaders will surprise you.

No contraption will reload a rimfire SA faster than your own fingers.

weregunner
April 5, 2012, 10:18 AM
With the convertible 10 your going to need a very long straw or many of them. :)

weregunner
April 5, 2012, 10:19 AM
Got any ol' pea shooters around? Those might come in handy.

gordy
April 5, 2012, 06:03 PM
If you want more in a revolver then buy a S&W m17.

45_auto
April 5, 2012, 07:20 PM
Uh, no, I said you can "reload" one faster, or more specifically "load". I never said I could fire five rounds, reload and fire five more more quickly than a DA.

From Post #53:

Not if they do it the way I do. Rather than the way you do it.

No big deal. I just don't know any other way to interpret your reply to mcGunner in post #53.

biohazurd
April 5, 2012, 09:05 PM
I wish they made the gp100 in .22 that would be a cool gun. next to that id say a single 10 would be my choice. Love single action rugers!

If you enjoyed reading about "Wanting .22 New Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!