How many LOADED guns do you keep at home?

PDA

Citadel99
February 14, 2004, 12:20 PM
I usually keep one but have thought it makes sense to keep one at each end of the house. What do yall do?

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "How many LOADED guns do you keep at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JeepDriver
February 14, 2004, 12:39 PM

All in different areas, 3 in different spots around the house and one in the safe. The rest are unloaded in the safe.

TheOtherOne
February 14, 2004, 12:48 PM
2 loaded handguns in the house. 1 in my bedroom and the other one wherever I happened to have sat it down last. Also, in the house I keep an easily accessible shotgun with a full tube (but nothing in the chamber). I also keep 1 loaded handgun in the car in the garage.

Larry Ashcraft
February 14, 2004, 12:51 PM
Lemme see..

.45 by the bed...
.38 in the kitchen...
25-06 upstairs (for coyotes)...
.380, on me...
.17 HMR in corner of living room (rock squirrels in barn).

That's all. ;)

7.62FullMetalJacket
February 14, 2004, 12:54 PM
1. One handgun loaded in the bedroom. With M6 light.

2. Call me crazy, but I do wear one around the house.

3. Shottie with the tube full, but chamber empty.

4. FAL with mags loaded nearby.

Rural. Kids in house. Never know when a 4-legged or 2-legged critter may need to be put down.

Plus, I believe in KISS. Too many loaded/unloaded, I forget the state of readiness.

gggman
February 14, 2004, 12:58 PM
Usually four, as there are no children in my house. I have one that is either on me, or in my coat pocket near the door. One is in a drawer next to my bed. Also a loaded 12ga. pump (The ultimate home defense weapon), and another loaded hangun in my safe.

BryanP
February 14, 2004, 01:10 PM
All of them. I have no children, my wife doesn't mind and so far the cats & the dog have shown no sign of growing thumbs.

jfh
February 14, 2004, 01:23 PM
I live alone, so do not worry about children, etc. Live in an 'Exurban' small town, with houses on either side.

Bedroom: S&W 4069, three mags, one in the spout, safety on.
Bedroom: Shotgun in closet (M1 Super 90, 18" slug barrel, LE/6-shot tube--
not chambered, loads start at #8, then #4, then into 0, 00, in the next speedstick.
Kitchen/other end of house: "car gun"--in house by back door--SA P40SC. two mags, chambered, safety on.
Bsmt/office drawer--EAA "carry comp"--one up the spout, safety on
Gun safe: S&W 27, loaded. Mini 14, unloaded, but with mags adjacent.

I need to tweak the loads--used to just settle on HydraShoks, but will probably get some Glaser, etc., for the bedside gun.

I'm probably going to sell/swap/trade some of these to get down to one type--e.g., S&W DAOs for carry/bedside, and possibly P-O's DAO 1911s. I find that as I get older, I don't want to have to worry about getting the drills down for each gun.

LiquidTension
February 14, 2004, 01:49 PM
Hmm...my carry gun usually stays on me until I go to bed. There may or may not be a few more scattered in "tactical" places around the house :D

Edward429451
February 14, 2004, 02:21 PM
Hmmm.

I plead the 1st (rule).

:neener:

Bill Hook
February 14, 2004, 02:24 PM
Two. I don't want to provide any loaded weapons to an intruder, either.

esheato
February 14, 2004, 02:27 PM
I keep 3.

Kimber and Kel-Tec on the computer desk in the living room (no children) as that's where I'm usually at. Plus, they're my carry guns, and one of them get's put on when I leave the house. Kimber in a holster when I'm wearing pants with belt loops and Kel-Tec when I'm just running down to the local Stop-and-Rob.

The Kahr is loaded in my Gun Room. If I'm in there reloading, it's usually loud and I'm deeply involved in something. I always think I hear someone knocking at the front door so I leave the Kahr loaded on the back of the bench.

esheato..

Mal H
February 14, 2004, 02:28 PM
Five, but I'm not saying where they are. ;)

I am rarely more than 10 feet from one, and usually 0 inches from one.

whm1974
February 14, 2004, 02:29 PM
2. Call me crazy, but I do wear one around the house.

Depenening on where you live this maybe a smart thing to do. Just remember to leave home
when you leave.

Bill Meadows

7.62FullMetalJacket
February 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
No need to leave it home. I carry it everywhere...cause I have been duly allowed to by the state of Utah :rolleyes:

mgjohn
February 14, 2004, 02:51 PM
Far too many to list. Between mine and the girlfriends.

Both handguns and long guns would total 12 or more.

Guns in the bedroom, kitchen, livingroom and bathrooms (2).

SAG0282
February 14, 2004, 03:02 PM
1...........my concealed carry weapon.

Pappy John
February 14, 2004, 03:10 PM
Not sure.....should I count the porch claymores or not????:neener:

redneck2
February 14, 2004, 03:16 PM
why do you have coyotes upstairs????

:D

ilike9s
February 14, 2004, 03:19 PM
all of them are loaded, at all times unless cleaning them or dry fire practice.

Hemicuda
February 14, 2004, 03:27 PM
An unloaded gn is just a poorly designed club... what'd be the point of that, If I want a club, I'd carry one of the FINE products made by the "Louisville Slugger Corporation"... when I want a gun, it needs to be loaded!

Zeke Menuar
February 14, 2004, 03:32 PM
Two guns. 45 on hip or at hand. Shotgun in bedroom.

ZM

schromf
February 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
two techically though I will ring in three

One Colt Detective special

One 1911 These get switched out between a Delta Elite and a Series 70 45ACP depending on my mood, whether I have taken one to the range or I just don't like leaving the clips loaded for long periods of time, ocassionally I have a pre series 70 38 Super that rolls into that rotation. I usually leave them clips in but no round chambered, so techically they might not be considereded loaded.

And last a Model 58 S&W 41 mag., but I am going to put this in a rotation cycle with a Colt Python.

I also keep a Glock 19 around that needs the mag thrown in, but I am thinking of changing that out with a Browning HI-POWER.

I have lots more to work with but these are not neccesary. I also have no children around, so locked and loaded is not an issue.

Hkmp5sd
February 14, 2004, 03:38 PM
About half. If more than a couple of platoons arrive and need arming, they can load the rest themselves.

Baba Louie
February 14, 2004, 03:39 PM
Keep the ONE on me. This week in Las Vegas, another home invasion... knock on door, homeowner answers to find a man with gun awaiting, robber takes mans ATM card and gets his P.I.N. then shoots him (in the face I think). They're at large. On the news. BF shown using ATM at convenience store.
Keep one on you and/or near your wallet/purse, please.

Kodiak AK
February 14, 2004, 03:43 PM
Zero . I have two small children here .

MikeB
February 14, 2004, 03:55 PM
Well let's see 1 on me, 1 in nightstand drawer, 2 alternate carries in dresser drawer, and 1 FAL with 3 full mags in corner of bedroom.

So I guess that makes 5.

Ala Dan
February 14, 2004, 04:00 PM
Enough

Respectfully, I don't disclose facts or figures about
what firearms I have loaded or where they are kept
for security reasons. Lets just say, if the need ever
arises I believe I'm well prepared. Any of them can
be retrieved at a moments notice! :uhoh: :cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Black_Talon
February 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
2 - 1911 & 870.

OF
February 14, 2004, 04:56 PM
Ahhh....5 I guess. 1911, .38 special, USP40, Glock 29 and a MAK90. All loaded up with rounds in the pipes and full spare mags/speedstrips.

- Gabe

Bruce H
February 14, 2004, 05:03 PM
All of them.

a9mmfan
February 14, 2004, 05:09 PM
I unload my guns when I clean them. When I am done, I return them to the state that my father used to refer to as the "normal state"....Loaded with one under the hammer.

45King
February 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
Enough to keep my butt alive just about anywhere in the house....

Chupacabra
February 14, 2004, 06:44 PM
One.

My USP40c is cocked and locked and is either on my person or never more than an arm-length away. I live in a studio apartment, so that's about all the room I have anyway. :D

The 1911 lives in a secure cabinet, unloaded, but four mags of golden sabres and two of hardball are ready to go in a pinch.

NRA Instructor
February 14, 2004, 06:59 PM
No matter which ones are loaded and which are not treat them all as if they were loaded.

cool45auto
February 14, 2004, 08:31 PM
My Vertec, Ruger KP97DC and SKS.

Zach S
February 14, 2004, 08:43 PM
M85 in Mom's room, either my Colt or Kimber Polymer along with my Mossberg 500 in my room.

My Colt and Kimber Polymer stay loaded all the time, while one goes to my room while I sleep (most of the time my Kimber), the other is locked up.

everything else is in condition three, or unloaded with mags nearby.

DragonRider
February 14, 2004, 09:02 PM
A few....

and I won the issue with the GF to carry all the time this week.

John

71Commander
February 14, 2004, 09:33 PM
All of them. I ain't trying to remember which is empty or loaded, so this way I know for sure.

Standing Wolf
February 14, 2004, 09:44 PM
All of them except my .22s and those that reside in bank boxes.

xjer
February 14, 2004, 09:48 PM
I keep all of them loaded.

Mike

OEF_VET
February 14, 2004, 10:45 PM
Well, let's see.....
1911 on me or in night stand drawer
S&W 686 usually in nightstand
P32 in nightstand
Moss 500 in corner of bedroom, tube and side saddle full
SAR-1 in case under bed with 4x30 and 1x40 mags in case
Moss 500 in cabinet, in b/r closet, with 6 in the sidesaddle
870 (20ga) in cabinet with 5 rounds in butt cuff
Type 99 Arisaka in cabinet with 9 in butt cuff, 4 on sling

Of course, in the plastic TuffBoxes in my bedroom, I have a lot more ammo to draw on.

I pity the fool who decides to break into my apartment. 8 loaded guns for 750 square feet. Is that too much? Nahhhhh.

Frank

Larry Ashcraft
February 14, 2004, 11:05 PM
why do you have coyotes upstairs????
Dandy second story deck makes a great "sniping tower" :cool:

About four years ago, I saw a coyote coming across the field. I ran in, yelled "COYOTE", grabbed my Mini 14 and went back outside. Just as I was squeezing the trigger, my wife dropped the 'yote with one shot out of the upstairs bathroom window with her .22-250.

Top THAT one. :D

gbelleh
February 14, 2004, 11:12 PM
It varies, but usually 3 or 4 are loaded and kept in various places. It changes, but there are always 1 or 2 handy.

P95Carry
February 14, 2004, 11:16 PM
I keep seeing this thread coming back to top! OK ... my first answer is ..

''exactly several'' :D

In fact .. as per the rules ... they are all loaded ... naturally.

In fact ... most handguns are - genuinely ... even in the safe. majority of longarms . no ... but filled mag's for some are never too far away!:p

M2 Carbine
February 14, 2004, 11:38 PM
It varies, but counting the cars 20 to 30+.

WheelMan
February 15, 2004, 12:03 AM
For those of you who keep many or all of your guns loaded at home. Have you considered the effects of a house fire? rounds cooking off in a box or even a magazine is one thing but a chambered round cooking off is the same as pulling the trigger. Where are all those rounds going? Hopefully not into firefighers and neighbors.

With this in mind I keep a shotgun "cruiser ready." I figure the potential "bomb" that the tube mag would be in a fire is less dangerous than a round in the chamber going off. If I keep a loaded handgun it's in a holster on my hip so it leaves the house with me.

Double Maduro
February 15, 2004, 03:32 AM
All of them.

DM

only1asterisk
February 15, 2004, 04:18 AM
All guns are always loaded, always.

Why mess with a good rule?

David

lilbiggun
February 15, 2004, 04:46 AM
2. A 1911 that is always within reach of me and a double bbl coach gun in the bedroom. My wife knows that if anything happens she is to get to /stay in the bedroom and no one comes in the door unless I call to her first.

Plus our safe is in the bedroom and hopefully she would have time (if she needs to) to get into it and pity the fool that tries to get into the room.

Delmar
February 15, 2004, 04:56 AM
Not me-too dangerous! The keys to all the trigger locks is in the center of the house, the ammo is at the west end and the safe is at the east end. Yes, officer-covered all that ground, plus loaded a magazine and shot that bad guy before he could take 3 steps into my home! I was a-feared:what: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

Spieler
February 15, 2004, 07:13 AM
I only keep one loaded gun in the house, and it is in any room that I am in.

Rickstir
February 15, 2004, 11:49 AM
9 mm hidden in headboard
22 wheel hidden in kitchen
9 mm on me when up
30.06 for coyotes
12 gauge for me for varmits by the hen house
.410 for wife for varmits by the hen house.

Viking6
February 15, 2004, 01:06 PM
genrally just one

Gewehr98
February 15, 2004, 02:00 PM
Enough to get the job done, if and when needed. ;)

G1FAL
February 15, 2004, 05:51 PM
No fewer than 6 at any one time (3 rifles, 3 pistols). Magazines full, ready to go for a few more.

gburner
February 15, 2004, 06:14 PM
All of them.....

sensop
February 16, 2004, 10:18 AM
All of them ... and it's a bunch.

DMK
February 16, 2004, 10:40 AM
It depends on what condition you consider loaded?

I only have one with a round in the chamber and it's a revolver.

I do have at least a couple rifles, shotguns and semi-auto pistols with empty chambers but loaded mags inserted. I have a couple more guns that are unloaded, but have loaded mags or stripper clips available at less than a minute's notice.

sturmruger
February 16, 2004, 11:04 AM
I keep my one in my nightstand, one in the closet by the fron door, and my Moss 500 in the basement. I am never more then 2 seconds away from a loaded gun.

csmkersh
February 16, 2004, 11:08 AM
Four handguns in various places in the house plus my carry gun -always, even when at home, three rifles plus a handgun in my car and my truck.

ny32182
February 16, 2004, 11:35 AM
Now, down to 2...

Wonder nine with 15 gold dots in the dresser.

P226/.40 in the night stand with 18 155 gr Gold Dots in 2 mags.

I used to keep the VEPR K in the closet with 20 rds in it, unchambered... until I read some people's (over)penetration experiences with 7.26x39, and thought better of it. I live in an apartment, and the VEPR would likely penetrate SEVERAL walls. The other option for a long arm would be my Bushy superlight with 55gr FMJ, but after seeing what it can penetrate, I don't feel comfortable with that either, and it has some hellacious muzzle blast to it as well.

My roommate has a single shot 20ga in his room with shells nearby.

If we can't solve the problem with 33 Gold Dots and a couple rounds of #3 buck, we're probably screwed anyway.

RockyNH
February 16, 2004, 12:13 PM
Typically it is 3....

One upstairs...
One downstairs...
one I was carrying that day

pat

dsb
February 16, 2004, 04:33 PM
I'd like to hear from those of you with small children in the house -- what are your guidelines then?

Black Majik
February 16, 2004, 05:35 PM
ZERO.

All my guns are locked away so the kids dont get access to it :D

I dont feel the need for it, my area is relatively safe so I keep them all unloaded. :)

yayarx7
February 16, 2004, 05:37 PM
Depends on childs age I suppose. Those not in the safe stay in a drawer or in the back of a closet, for now. My child is only 1. Future plans for a rapid opening handgun safe before she is big enough to access anyhting. Otherwise I suppose I will start carring on my person.

Zundfolge
February 16, 2004, 05:40 PM

Home Defense pistol (under my side of the bed ... our bedroom is in back part of house)
Carry pistol ... either on me, or on my desk in office (in front part of house)
AR for serious problems in closet of office
Shotgun (the wife's preferred HD gun) loaded in bedroom closet.

Keep in mind we have no kids (other then dogs ... and they are afraid of the guns).

Navy joe
February 16, 2004, 07:36 PM
Unknown. I'll go pull all the triggers and report back on the results.

geekWithA.45
February 16, 2004, 10:30 PM
Small kids....

2, either mag in/unchambered in the quick open pistol safe or on my person, with one in the pipe.

GunnFixr
February 16, 2004, 11:02 PM
When I was living in Southern California, I kept one in every room of the house. When I moved on base, I dropped it down to three, one on each night stand (his & hers), and a shotgun behind the sofa near the front door.

Now that I'm back in Michigan, and in a semi-rural area, I only keep one loaded. My P7 goes from my nightstand to my hip, and back to my nightstand at the end of the day. It stays loaded, the rest are in the safe in my office.

Iron Mike
February 16, 2004, 11:53 PM
Two. A S&W 25-5 in 45 colt loaded with 225 grain semi wadcutters in a holster right beside my bed and a S&W 640 secreted in an accessible area just inside the door between the garage and the kitchen and if for some reason i feel a little spooked I'll through a couple double o bucks in the moss. 500

duckfoot
February 17, 2004, 03:55 AM
A 1911 loaded with JHP's and a 12ga pump shotty loaded with turkey hunting shells

TechBrute
February 17, 2004, 11:14 PM
1 carry gun on me during waking hours.
3 other carry guns loaded in the safe.
1 rifle and 1 shotgun loaded but not chambered in safe.
All other guns unloaded in the safe.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many LOADED guns do you keep at home?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!