Mounting scope in rings - loctite?

PDA

dave3006
February 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
I mounted my Aimpoint scope in a weaver ring that is commonly used for the Comp ML2. I firmly tightened it using the small end of the alan wrench. After about 100 rounds on my Mini-14, the screws were a little loose. Not enough to cause the scope to move. But, looser.

Should I have used loctite?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting scope in rings - loctite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M16
February 14, 2004, 12:10 PM
I never use loctite on the rings. Only on the base. If you ever decide to change optics you may have to drill out the screws. But if the screws won't stay tight that may be your only option.

burrhead
February 14, 2004, 12:15 PM
Clear fingernail polish on the screw threads will keep them snug yet allow removal if necessary.

son of a gun
February 14, 2004, 12:24 PM
I think they make different strengths of lock-tite, semi-permanent and permanent.

goalie
February 14, 2004, 01:15 PM
I have a friend who put on a little of the glue used to attach wooden blades to composite hockey stick shafts. It holds it tight, and removal only requires heating with a heat-gun. I have not tried it myself, but it cured his cheapie ring problem on a 10/22.

TimH
February 14, 2004, 03:11 PM
works well on small stuff. I think the Red Loctite you would want to avoid. As Burrhead said nail polish works well also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting scope in rings - loctite?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!