My Eyes, My Eyes! Any info on the "Linda Pistol"?

PDA

Snowdog
February 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
While placing my Aimpoint for sale at Auction Arms, I spotted this Wilkinson Arms "Linda Pistol" 9mm. Selling for $900, I'm sure there must be something this pistol does outstandingly well... because sittin' pretty isn't one of them.
I'm assuming the price is likely due to the scarcity of this puppy (let's be thankful for that!).

Can anyone share any information on this pistol, such as when they were made, who they catered to, etc.
I'm curious if there's some interesting history behind it.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5480769

Oh yeah, you'll have nightmares now...
http://pictures.auctionarms.com/1145/6241c-all.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "My Eyes, My Eyes! Any info on the "Linda Pistol"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
February 14, 2004, 02:13 PM
It's just so ugly, I don't even know where to begin. Hopefully this gun had a purpose besides making people cringe in disgust.

esheato...

Black_Talon
February 14, 2004, 02:47 PM
And if you didn't like that one, here's (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976370397.htm) another.

Mmm, yummy!

Prodigalshooter
February 14, 2004, 03:05 PM
Well, I think they were full auto, so that was their appeal, as well as relatively inexpensive at the time they were in production.
They are not beauty queens, that's for sure.

George Hill
February 14, 2004, 03:30 PM
Looks like a failed SMG attempt.

gunfan
February 14, 2004, 03:53 PM
This particular pistol was built by a man named Wilkinson, (no surprise here.) and the "Linda" model was named after his daughter.

Wilkinson also made an extremely tiny pistol chambered in .22 l.r. called the "Sherry." I owned one of these. It was a single-action blowback with an alloy frame and a steel slide. These were VERY well manufactured weapons. In the late 1980's, I purchased my Wilkinson Arms "Sherry" for $199.00. These pistols, were approximately 90% of the size of a "baby" Browning. I had some jamming problems with it, and sold it due to hard economic times.

Scott

dfariswheel
February 14, 2004, 09:02 PM
The guns were made by Wilkinson Arms, of Covina California.

There was also a .25 pistol called the "Diane".

The "Linda" is the pistol version of Wilkinson's "Terry" carbine.

The Terry carbine was a very high quality Pre-ban firearm that had a following with police officers.
These had a wood or plastic stock, a 30 round mag, and a cone-shaped flash hider.

It had a reputation for very good accuracy and reliability.

Feanaro
February 14, 2004, 09:04 PM
I shivered when I saw that.... that... thing and quickly scrolled back up.

7.62FullMetalJacket
February 14, 2004, 09:15 PM
Actually it looks very interesting. Notice the bolt cover. This was designed for the field.

A 9mm sub-gun (SA only though), that can have a stock.

The mechanics look simple. Probably very hardy.

But I still do not want one. :evil:

esheato
February 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
I think they were full auto

Well, that almost makes up for it's ugliness.

Sorta like a moped...fun to shoot, but I wouldn't let my friends see me shooting it..

esheato....

otomik
February 14, 2004, 09:42 PM
and the "Linda" model was named after his daughter.
that's just cruel.

Snowdog
February 14, 2004, 10:19 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and the "Linda" model was named after his daughter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's just cruel.

LMAO!! :D

Tamara
February 14, 2004, 10:24 PM
The Powers That... uh... Were at Wilkinson Arms named the guns their company made after their sweethearts.

If some knucklehead named a butt-ugly blowback 9mm tube gun after me, there'd be hell to pay. :scrutiny:

BADSBSNF81
February 14, 2004, 10:59 PM
Wonder how those ladies felt about the "honor".

PCRCCW
February 14, 2004, 11:33 PM
"I believe that these were built in Idaho!"

Id say "now that explains everything"......but Im from Ut..what the hell do I know? :D

Shoot well.

BluesBear
February 15, 2004, 01:59 AM
There's dealer at the Puyallup Gun Show that has several of these for sale.
They were supposidly very reliable and accurate. They can also use BHP mags IIRC.

VNgo
February 15, 2004, 03:18 AM
If some knucklehead named a butt-ugly blowback 9mm tube gun after me, there'd be hell to pay.

Already done. :neener:

1911Tuner
February 15, 2004, 03:31 PM
Ah...I remember those. The designer named'em after his daughters, and
I thought that was a pretty neat thing to do. The guns themselves appeared to be okay, from the few that I looked at. Never actually
shot one, though...

The pistol was too big to be anything but a toy, and it was probably
intended for the LE market as a selective-fire subgun with a folding
stock.

The carbine falls into the same category as the semi-auto UZI and HK94 class.Toys again. My view has always been that if I'm going to carry something the size and weight of a rifle, it should fire a rifle cartridge...5.56/.223 at least, and preferably something with a little more heft. As to subguns in general, I can't think of many situations that a sub would be suited for that couldn't be better handled with a shotgun. (Pump, please) The Winchester Trapper lever gun in .44 Magnum or .45 Colt has
much to offer too.

Anyway...that there's my take on it. YMMV

Tuner

ID_shooting
February 15, 2004, 03:44 PM
They were made in Idaho, Parma to be exact. In thier day they were very cool, very reliable and extremly comfortable to shoot. good god though, $900.00 :what: Not on my planet. I know where there are two of them for &400.00 each, like new will accesories.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Eyes, My Eyes! Any info on the "Linda Pistol"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!