Why dress this way at the range?

PDA

ms6852
March 27, 2012, 05:13 AM
At the range today saw this fellow I have never seen there before in my 5 years of being a member there. Dressed in cargo pants bloused to desert boots with a boonie hat. Carried a side arm in a web belt with 3 fixed blades taped to his suspenders and web belt.

He got a little upset when he was told he could not open carry on the rifle range but complied...upset is not the correct word, more like sad he had to take off his side arm. He looked tactical but very funny. Asked him if he had served in the military and replied he had not.

The next thing I know is he takes out this uber super tactical AR-15 and started to unscrew the front rail where you would normally mount a front sight. I asked him why he was taking it apart and replied he was goint to put the rail on the bottom so that he could mount a bipod to the rail. I told him that it would not be possible. He tried turning the rail but met resistance. I told him that he was going to bend the gas tube if he continued to apply more pressure and that would render his rifle useless.

He looked at me like a deer looks when staring at headlights. Needless to say he had no earthly idea about AR-15's. I think I chipped a tooth and bled a little from inside my cheek as I bit down hard trying to keep from laughing out loud. I do not want to discourage this young man but I clearly understand how mother nature now, weeds out the weak and dumb.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why dress this way at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hunterdad
March 27, 2012, 06:35 AM
Every range has at least one of those guys. We had one guy at our range thats about 5'6", 300lbs+ and was practicing barrel rolls on the side of the range....very funny.

4v50 Gary
March 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
A real Range Ranger, the functional equivalent of Bill Mauldin's Canteen Commando.

2zulu1
March 27, 2012, 07:29 AM
No face camo?

XD 45acp
March 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
About 3 years ago at the rifle range, we had a guy show up in the all out S.O.F. garb. When the range went cold he placed his target at about 10 feet away from the bench ( ok to do at our range as the bullet still hits the burm ok ),.. anyway, he gets out an impressive M-4 clone, and when we went hot, he puts 2 rounds into his mag, then fires 2 rounds into the target, drops the rifle onto the bench, reaches into the top of his boot, whips out a dagger and throws it at the target. ( OH.. It gets better )... Then proceeds to walk out and retrieve the dagger... ON a HOT RANGE!!! He was politely asked to leave by the R.O.

mcdonl
March 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thats funny.... I am 43, and at my range I am the kid... The most tactical thing you will see at our range are new dentures.

That being said, all of the members shoot everything from AR's to black powder.

Now, when I go to the club in Scarborough for IDPA in the summer time there are always a few range rangers but I guess that is sort ok given the sport.

madcratebuilder
March 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
I am 43, and at my range I am the kid... The most tactical thing you will see at our range are new dentures.

That's tag line material!

Odd Job
March 27, 2012, 07:52 AM
No face camo?

That made me laugh!

I guess the other thing he needs to have is a little bag of talcum powder so he can sprinkle a little of it in the air from time to time, to read the wind.

Oh, and he better have covered his glass with amber flaps or netting otherwise that will give his position away in sunlight...

Sav .250
March 27, 2012, 08:10 AM
You`ve got to start some where! :)

ultradoc
March 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
Last year at our local range there was a dude dressed in camos,web gear and knee pads. He did have some cool weapons though.

HoosierQ
March 27, 2012, 08:17 AM
I wonder if 30 or 40 years ago you saw stuff like...you know, fringed leather coats, pants tucked into the tall boots...frontier style?

Jaxondog
March 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
Yes and he probably look's at us and think's the same thing.lol

pockets
March 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Why not dress this way at a range? It's his life and his dime.
Did this mode of dress affect you adversely? Was there a hoodie involved? ;)

Yep, 30-40 years ago you would see more than a few people in 'buckskin' or 'colonial' outfits at a range. The United States Bicentennial during the mid-1970s caused a lot of people to get into muzzle-loaders and historic reenactment.

People have been showing up at the range in military or quasi-military clothing for decades. What's new about it?
Those people probably think my 'Robert Johnson' t-shirt is weird....different streaks for different freaks.

fatcat4620
March 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
I will stand up and be proud. I have a chest rig, dtop leg holster, and single point sling!

Ranger30-06
March 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
I am truly amazed at how you guys manage to find the strange people at your ranges. :D

I don't have a problem with dressing in camo or military clothing, however I think 3 knives and an open handgun will quickly get you questioned by more people than you would care to talk to.

I see camo and tactical gear all the time at my range, but no one is barrel rolling or throwing knives downrange. I can understand testing your equipment to make sure it's comfortable when firing, but unless your doing 3 gun or something, please, save the tactical dance for when it's really neccessary. :D

JLDickmon
March 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
It's not limited to gun ranges.
We still get "Mr. IBO" guys at our bow club..
portable bow stand on the ground, bino's in a chest harness.. rangefinder on a sling.. towel and full set of target ID cards with the scoring zones outlined.. dip tube of point lube and dip the arrow every shot.. dozen arrows in the quiver, and will pull each arrow and spin & examine them at every target station...
I know there is a time limit during sanctioned shoots, once you glass the target, you have X amount of time to release the shot ( I used to know what it is)...

you get the idea...

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
I open carry at my range but that's the extent of it. I don't have a CCW yet and I don't want someone killing me because they want my rifles.

45_auto
March 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
They're pointing a rifle at you and telling you they're taking your guns, and you think you're quick enough to draw your pistol and do something about it?

You'd be much better off looking for another range where the clientele are a little less threatening, or if you can't find another range, make sure you shoot as part of a group so one can provide cover while the others are shooting ....

Kristensdaddy
March 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
I'd hate to know what folks think of me at the range. We have an outdoor club that is five minutes from my office. Pistol, Rifle and Skeet. I shoot in a white shirt and necktie. -Office Tactical maybe???

BullfrogKen
March 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
You know, this is our next generation of shooters.

I'd hate to be the last old guy on the range, proud of having shooed away all the young fools, and find no one left.

We all have done silly things when we were young. Ridicule didn't put an end to them. But someone befriending me, helping me mature, did.

hso
March 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Instead of weak and dumb, he might be ignorant needing a mentor to help educate him.

Today most people learn about firearms by themselves watching TV, playing games or browsing the internet instead of with the help of mentors who they can emulate.

If you see him again ask him if he's ever heard of a website TheHighRoad.org and if he'd like to join up where there are people who will try to answer his questions and give him something more than movies and games to look to for guidance. It is a victory for shooters everywhere when we can help someone like this become a mentor themselves some day.

jon86
March 27, 2012, 10:18 AM

I'd hate to be the last old guy on the range

I consider myself young. I dress pretty normal at the range. Jeans and a t shirt.

gp911
March 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
Tactical dentures, LOL! I almost choked on my omelet! The knife thrower guy was pretty funny too. For the OP, that guy definitely needed a mentor and it's good you gave him some tips & kept him from ruining his AR. I chuckle a bit when people try way too hard to fit a certain image like "operator" or "outlaw podiatrist biker" but I don't judge, we didn't all start out as super-cool as we are now, right?

Sam1911
March 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
There's something about every one of us that rubs other people the wrong way.

Maybe you're a tacticool ninja fool. Maybe you're a Fudd. Maybe you're a gangbanger wannabe. Or a poseur biker. Or a suburbanite post-yuppie sheeple. Or one of those beemer-driving jerks with more money than sense. Or one of the "99%-er" trash. Of course you aren't. But what does someone THINK you are at first glance? And, if you looked at YOURSELF, say...15 years ago, what would you think of THAT guy? Probably not a pretty picture. :o

While you're criticizing the idiot dork on the line next to you, somebody's making a first impression of you, too. Somebody's judging the "silly," "ignorant," or "mall ninja" thing you just did.

And you might be one minute away from someone you'd really enjoy getting to know. And/or someone who could really use a word of encouragement, friendship, and advice.

I hate first impressions and first meetings. I'm not actually much of a "people person." But I've been SOOO wrong, sooo many times, that I try really hard to get over it and give folks every chance to grow on me. I benefit from that, every week, and I like to think it does them some good, too.

CoRoMo
March 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
There are only a couple really weird guys at my gun club. They are both pretty cool actually. Both are quite knowledgeable about things that I am not.

Hokkmike
March 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
"He got a little upset when he was told he could not open carry on the rifle"

Why does the range have this policy?

"Asked him if he had served in the military and replied he had not."

Why does this matter?

An interesting OP. I have never met a person like that at my gun club. I have seen a kid with a dad who would allow his son's bolt to be closed on a rifle pointed down range when people went to check their targets. (I saw that the magazines and chambers were emptied but I still like open bolts)

Just curious - did the knife stick?

grampster
March 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
That's why I do all my shooting out in the national forest. I can wear all my combat gear, grease paint my face and do barrel rolls and only be laughed at by the squirrels and deer.:eek::D:p:D

hogshead
March 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
^ Reminds me I need to practice my barrel rolls.

dcarch
March 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
When I go to the range, my usual tactical loadout is a worn pair of Levis, Tony Lama cowboy boots, a flannel shirt, aviator shades, and an Astros hat. And here's the thing. I'm in the 18-25 age group. There's always one young shooter who doesn't think the older guys have it wrong. I guess in my area, that would be me. :D

mberoose
March 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
"Tactical" is a cancer.

BCCL
March 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
The range I shot on in college had one of those guys, would wear a full military pistol belt, Beretta in a military holster, fatigues and 10" bladed combat knife........at an indoor range. :)

MrDig
March 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Geez you guys, I'm 52 and depending on where I am in my laundry cycle I might just might wear woodland cammo BDU pants to the range. I holster a multi-tool and have a knife clipped in one of my pockets. Does this make me a "Range Ranger"?
Sometimes I wear a T-shirt that has a pro second amendment statement on it, is that ok by your standards?
What if I wear my old comfortable as hell combat boots?
Sometimes I wear jeans and a BDU shirt, I like lots of pockets is that ok?
Should I buy a tailored suit and 3500 dollar Italian shoes so you know I'm a stand up guy?
This would also mean I need to spend no less than 1500 bucks per gun so you can be comfortable around me at the range?
Have I made a point or do I need to continue?
When we start ridiculing people for how they dress or what gun they bring or any other reason we become snobs, we need each and every person who comes to a range, gun store or where ever to have a positive experience and be welcomed to the fold not ridiculed out of the click.

H&Hhunter
March 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
I am a gun range fashionista! I'd be glad to give these youngin's some fashion tips especially in the foot ware department. I'll teach these kids how to go from tacticool to bwanabe in three easy steps.

1. Bush hat and shorts

2. Unbuttoned vest over a bare torso

3. Manly foot ware

And never under any circumstances smile in any picture.

Problem solved!;)

WardenWolf
March 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
I saw a guy come into the indoor range and pull out an AR-15 with a big muzzle brake. He just started blasting with it, that muzzle brake redirecting all the noise and shockwave right at the other shooters and making us cringe. Then, after about 10 minutes of this, he puts it down, unscrews the brake, and screws on his suppressor, which he had the whole time. :fire:

Ryanxia
March 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
So when you're at the rifle range you cannot carry a handgun? I would be quite peeved if someone told me I had to disarm before going to the 'rifle' range too. But I would just leave and find a decent range.

And while I'm not a member or fan of the tacticool club, is there a reason he shouldn't have worn cargo pants (comfortable) and boonie hat (keeps your neck/face out of the sun)?

I think people are getting a little too picky about what everyone else is doing.
That being said, good on you for pointing out when he could have potentially damaged his rifle. :)

scramasax
March 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm too old to care about other peoples bad or good taste in clothing.

The only things that matter are "friend or Foe", Self important <deleted> or pleasant demeanor. I give everyone a chance and am pleasantly surprised quite often. Doesn't mean I won't be behind you until I see your intent or skill level. And no one that I don't know has any idea that I use a knife and handgun equalliy well with both hands.

Saying that it is always a pleasure to meet new people who are open minded and interested in the same things I am. The dynamics of sharing experiences and infromation is one of the best things that we do in life.

The person you least expect to be congenial or pleasant might be the one that looks the most odd. I rememebr a time when most every man wore a tie(with a tiebar) and a hat whenever outdoors. Yes I saw both on the firing line.

Just some rambleings before I take my moring meds. Its all life, not a rehearsal, Enjoy it.

Cheers,

ts

mberoose
March 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
<deleted> it, I'm wearing a ghillie suit.

Al Thompson
March 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
Bullfrog Ken makes a great point. Lots of youngsters don't have anyone older to gently point out mistakes and errors as well as set the example. This applies on and off the range.

:)

mdauben
March 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
I honestly don't see the problem. :confused:

As long as the individual is practicing safe gun handling, what difference does it make how he's dressed? There are entire organizations that cater to people who like to dress as cowboys, or civil war soldiers, or buckskinners as part of their shooting activities and we don't make fun of them. Why make fun of someone who gets a kick out of dressing "tactical" or "military"? :rolleyes:

BullfrogKen
March 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
1. Bush hat and shorts

2. Unbuttoned vest over a bare torso

3. Manly foot ware

And never under any circumstances smile in any picture.

Problem solved!

You forgot the pink bunny slippers! That's an awesome picture. But if I didn't know you . . . I'd think you're off your rocker.

I rememebr a time when most every man wore a tie(with a tiebar) and a hat whenever outdoors. Yes I saw both on the firing line.

Well, I don't always wear a tie out on the line, but I have once or twice.

Of course I'm a bit odd in that I go to the other extreme to try to dress like a gentleman as I go throughout my day. Even when I go out to the range. I don't even own a pair of blue jeans anymore.

http://www.thechap.net/content/images/amichap/boyfriend.jpg

Now that's not me, but I like their style. Notice the hearing protection on the leather satchel?

But even a stodge like me isn't concerned with the young doing things young people do. As long as he's safe and uses proper range etiquette we'll get along. Young people like to express themselves and make statements through how they look.

Driftertank
March 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
Gives me brilliant idea for a "reaction gag." Get all tacti-cooled out and go to a range on a busy day, loiter around for a while until everyone is convinced i'm a clueless poseur, then pull out a muzzleloader and start doing load workups. Or settle down on the long-distance range and start printing groups at 500 or so.

Goofy dress may draw a smirk from me, but i tend to reserve judgement for when i've observed actions. Poor etiquette or dangerous behavior, or my personal favorite, showing off when you have a below average skill-level, as in the case of the tatted-up, sideways-shooting, hi-cap-nine vatos at the local public (ungoverned) range who brought a case of cheap beer, drank half of them and set up the other half at ten paces, then proceeded to send several boxes of ammunition downrange trying to impress each other, leaving 4 bottles unscathed.

Myself and my shooting partner subtly took position behind our vehicle and watched until they were finished before resuming or shooting.

jdh
March 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
How does dressing like gentleman make you any more of one? Or how does causal attire make you any less of one? Some of the best dressed men I have ever seen were also some of the biggest As... I mean JERKS I have ever met. Last time I checked it is just as easy to open a door for a Lady in jeans and a pocket T-shirt as it is a three piece and a tie.

A Gentleman is what you are not style.

So what does all that have to do with the topic at hand? You cannot judge a book by its cover. Be a Mentor not a Tormentor.

doubleh
March 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
"Why dress this way at the range"?

Probably because he wanted to. Free country isn't it?

So he didn't know about his AR. Everyone has to learn. About the only thing that we are born knowing how to do is eat. Everything else is aquired knowledge.

I would much rather see some one dressed like that than listen to some of the windbags and know-it-alls I encounter once in awhile at my local range.

I'm not a great people person either as you can tell by this post. ;)

mcdonl
March 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
I met a guy a few years ago at my 2nd job... he showed up all decked out with 5.11 gear (EMS), had the trauma shears in his pocket, every known belt attachment and looked like he was ready for a Mass Casualty incident. He was new, just coming in for an interview. Even had a portable radio for another department...

I asked what license level he was at, his answer... "I am not licensed".... He was in it for the gear I guess... In the fire/EMS service we call them whackers... He never came back.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 27, 2012, 12:02 PM
Why do some people put on wool uniforms from 150 years ago and shoot blank firing muskets at each other? Why do some people put on boots, spurs and cowboy hats and compete with each on who can shoot single action revolvers the best? Why do some people dress up like members of the Army from WWII and pretend to relive the Battle of the Bulge?

Because they enjoy it. And in the United States, as long as your enjoyment is not hurting anyone else, that reason is damn good enough.

I will never ever understand why so many gun owners on THR, people who allegedly love the freedoms of the US, get so upset over the way someone chooses to dress. You see "tacticool", I see a man enjoying a life where he can dress that way, and have fun doing it, just because he can. And that makes me smile.

Geno
March 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
Soooo. Are you fellas suggesting that my recent trip to the range, wearing a tube top, and mini shorts was not proper attire?! In my defense, they were camo. :neener: You fellas got some pretty high standards. All I care is someone can shoot, or is willing to be taught. Camo dentures, uh?

Geno

Mp7
March 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Invite him for a cup of coffee and "learn him" the fundamentals :D

bikerdoc
March 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
I spend most of my range time improving my skills and not playing faishion police.

Oh, Im 63 and some time wear camo. Dont care what others think.

The War Wagon
March 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Wow... I think I'd of left the area! No telling how his aim might be! :eek:

Cesiumsponge
March 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
I saw a guy come into the indoor range and pull out an AR-15 with a big muzzle brake. He just started blasting with it, that muzzle brake redirecting all the noise and shockwave right at the other shooters and making us cringe. Then, after about 10 minutes of this, he puts it down, unscrews the brake, and screws on his suppressor, which he had the whole time.:fire:

How dare he try his muzzle brake!

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
Wow... I think I'd of left the area! No telling how his aim might be!

It's sad that you seem to think the manner of one's dress directly translates to how safe that person is.

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
I laugh a little at the tacticool folks, but I try not to judge them.

If they're safe, who cares how they dress?

Walkalong
March 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
It is like anywhere else in life. Try to be understanding, mentor a bit, and help them down the road to enjoying firearms safely. They may not be as far down the path on that journey as you think you are, but they are on the path. Let's help them down the path safely.

As long as they are practicing safe gun handling, I don't care if they are in full tacticoool, or flip flops and shorts.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
I look back at high school, and wonder how kids could be so pointlessly wrapped up in fashion what the latest style was, often ostracizing other kids for wearing the wrong thing.

And then I look at some of the posts in this thread and others like it, and sigh.

BUCKrub91
March 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
wait... you cant open carry a handgun at your SHOOTING RANGE? thats insane

mcdonl
March 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
Ragnar, I understand where you are coming from and even you I enjoy your posts. I also agree that judging someone by how they dress can be a shallow way of looking at life... And, although it does not necessarily apply to this thread, how you dress can do everything from get you a job to get you killed. Somewhere in the middle it can influence what people on the outside perceive our sport. If someone is new to a club and is considering entering the shooting sports they could be influenced by people who are a little extreme.

This may not be the case, and even though you may not consider what someone wears as any indicator to what they are up to, how they think or what knowledge they may or may not have some people do and they are not limited to 12 year old girls in middle school :)

Peace.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
They're pointing a rifle at you and telling you they're taking your guns, and you think you're quick enough to draw your pistol and do something about it?

You'd be much better off looking for another range where the clientele are a little less threatening, or if you can't find another range, make sure you shoot as part of a group so one can provide cover while the others are shooting ....

It can happen at pretty much any range. Going down fighting is better then just getting killed. The DC Sniper got his rifle from a shooting range along with many other thugs. I'd prefer to be more prepared then just saying "It won't happen".

"Tactical" is a cancer.

It's not, it's a new generation of shooters that do a different style of shooting. Times have changed.

blarby
March 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Was there a hoodie involved?

Hey !

I wear hoodies all the time shooting, range or no range. :p

Comfy, warm, big front pocket, and most of them are some variety of superbright orange !

I shoot trap in 'em, and stationary targets in 'em.

A hoodie does not signify a mall- ninja, or a range ranger, or any of the other loopy things that stereotypical misconception leads you to !

Searcher4851
March 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
The range I got to has people dressing all different ways. The only ones I pay much attention to how they're dressed are the women. Otherwise I'm more interested in whether the participants look safe, and what they're shooting.
I'd like to think I'm not judgmental, but in reality I think I just don't give a darn.

45_auto
March 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
It can happen at pretty much any range. Going down fighting is better then just getting killed.

What do you do while you're actually shooting? Do you keep a mirror in front of you so you can see anyone sneaking up behind you that's going to shoot you in the back and take your guns?

The DC Sniper got his rifle from a shooting range along with many other thugs.

The DC sniper shoplifted his AR15 from a gun store at a firing range. Do you feel that it's your job to use deadly force to protect the store's inventory while you're at the range? (I'm not sure exactly where he got the many other thugs, though).

freyasman
March 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
When I go to the local IDPA club matches here, I make a real effort to dress as I would for anything else; I want to be training,(and these matches are a form of training to me,) in the clothes I would be wearing for an unforseen encounter. This past Saturday I was going to attend in cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and my new Vibram Five Fingers, but I forgot that the cable man was coming to the house, so I didn't go shoot. I FULLY expected to get made fun of.... but hey, I'm okay with that. :-) I don't wear a 5.11 vest anywhere, so I'm not going to wear one at the range.

pockets
March 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
"A hoodie does not signify a mall- ninja, or a range ranger, or any of the other loopy things that stereotypical misconception leads you to !"
I do not believe that is what I wrote or even implied. Wait, let me look back at what I wrote.......ahhhhh, here it is:

"Why not dress this way at a range?
It's his life and his dime.
Did this mode of dress affect you adversely?
Was there a hoodie involved?"

My 'hoodie' bit was meant as a JOKE.
Primarily because this thread reminded me of another recent thread where a hoodie in public automatically signaled a potential threat.
My apologies for not giving the matter, of what any individual chooses for range wear, the intense scrutiny and seriousness that it apparently deserves. :D

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
wait... you cant open carry a handgun at your SHOOTING RANGE? thats insane

A shooting range is still private land. In states that are not open carry states (like Texas) it is just as illegal as if you were to OC in the mall. (The exceptions to this typically are owners of the range and their employees whom they allow to carry openly).

Rob G
March 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
I guess I'm not really understanding how the clothing has anything to do with his skill at shooting or his level of safety.

I usually just go to the range dressed however I am at the time but I'll admit that when I go shooting out in the country I wear BDU pants. Why? Because I can. Because I don't care if they get dirty. And because I like the big pockets. I also have a camo boonie hat that I wear anytime I'm out in the sun because I have long hair and baseball caps just don't fit right or look right. I'm not sure what the guys at the rifle range think of that hat but my Disc Golf (not exactly a "tactical" sport) buddies don't say anything about it so I'm not sure why shooters would care.

I do not want to discourage this young man but I clearly understand how mother nature now, weeds out the weak and dumb.

That's just sad that you think that way. How about helping the guy out first? I've seen lots of guys at the range without a clue and with few exceptions most of them really appreciate having a more experienced shooter step up and teach them instead of ridiculing them.

M-Cameron
March 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
A shooting range is still private land. In states that are not open carry states (like Texas) it is just as illegal as if you were to OC in the mall. (The exceptions to this typically are owners of the range and their employees whom they allow to carry openly).

ummm.......if the land is private, wouldnt the decision to OC be made by the owner....and not the state....?

how is it any different than OCing around your house......?

Armed012002
March 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
I've been recently retired from the USAF.

I've got a lot of old boots, BDUs, DCUs, and ABUs. I even own some old boonie hats :eek:

All that old military gear is well broken in and I've worn it in Afghanistan. Nice to wear it again at the range for the memories of some good folks.

Honestly, I could not care less what y'all think about what I wear to the range :neener:

blarby
March 27, 2012, 02:52 PM
My apologies for not giving the matter, of what any individual chooses for range wear, the intense scrutiny and seriousness that it apparently deserves.

Fair enough.

Its the offhand slants that usually lead to the sterotypical thinkin', tis all.

My 'hoodie' bit was meant as a JOKE.

Good 'nuff.

I just don't want to be targeted in the street for wearing a hoodie...or eating skittles late at night, for that matter.

BUCKrub91
March 27, 2012, 02:53 PM

The range is private land its up to the owners to decide weather or not you can open carry... there is nothing illegal about open carrying on private land in NY so im sure its the same way in every state where you can own a handgun

trex1310
March 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'd like to find out more about the tactical dentures. I'd hope that
olive drab would be one of the colors. Maybe the dentures could
be designed like a multi-tool with each tooth a different tool.

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
how is it any different than OCing around your house......?

It is legal with the owner's permission, but what I am saying is that they are not required to grant it. In your own house, you make the rules, on the range, the owner does. That is the difference. Most owners say no to OCing except for their employees.

there is nothing illegal about open carrying on private land in NY so im sure its the same way in every state where you can own a handgun

It is legal with the owner's permission, as I said.

This was included in my post:
(The exceptions to this typically are owners of the range and their employees whom they allow to carry openly).

M-Cameron
March 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
It is legal with the owner's permission, but what I am saying is that they are not required to grant it. In your own house, you make the rules, on the range, the owner does. That is the difference. Most owners say no to OCing except for their employees.

well that applies whether the state permits OC or not..........it has absolutely nothing to due with state law......

hell, if the owner doesnt trust people OCin on the range, ide personally look for a new range.

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
it has absolutely nothing to due with state law......

Buckrub91 seemed surprised that OC was not allowed at the range so I explained why it wasn't. If state law allowed OC, many more ranges would allow it...

M-Cameron
March 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
It actually does. In states where OC is legal, you may OC on the range whether the owner specifically is okay with it or not. Since Texas state law does not allow OC, it is up to the owner of the land.

ummmm....no, like you said, on private property.....the owner makes the rules..

..if the owner states you cant wear hats inside......guess what, you cant wear a hat inside...regardless of state law......his house, his rules.

thats like saying if i dont want people to carry a gun in my house......and you come over with a gun on....that you dont have to abide by my rules because state law permits OC.

Resist Evil
March 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
I believe people costume themselves for the role they wish to play in front of the footlights on their life's stage. The costumes change as their roles evolve. A wardrobe should not necessarily condemn the wearer's character.

Lilrascal
March 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
There's something about every one of us that rubs other people the wrong way.

Maybe you're a tacticool ninja fool. Maybe you're a Fudd. Maybe you're a gangbanger wannabe. Or a poseur biker. Or a suburbanite post-yuppie sheeple. Or one of those beemer-driving jerks with more money than sense. Or one of the "99%-er" trash. Of course you aren't. But what does someone THINK you are at first glance? And, if you looked at YOURSELF, say...15 years ago, what would you think of THAT guy? Probably not a pretty picture. :o

While you're criticizing the idiot dork on the line next to you, somebody's making a first impression of you, too. Somebody's judging the "silly," "ignorant," or "mall ninja" thing you just did.

And you might be one minute away from someone you'd really enjoy getting to know. And/or someone who could really use a word of encouragement, friendship, and advice.

I hate first impressions and first meetings. I'm not actually much of a "people person." But I've been SOOO wrong, sooo many times, that I try really hard to get over it and give folks every chance to grow on me. I benefit from that, every week, and I like to think it does them some good, too.

This was a great reply, and advice we could all benefit from. Having to quick of a first impression is something I am certainly guilty of.

kimberkid
March 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
I wonder if 30 or 40 years ago you saw stuff like...you know, fringed leather coats, pants tucked into the tall boots...frontier style?
I see Davy Crockett and Daniel Boon at our range at least 1 weekend a month at the Cowboy shoot ...

... we also have a few of the tacticool kids.

There are times I see them and smile, then recall my younger days when I had to have the lasers, trigger enhancements and other gadgets ... and realize this is "their time".

bomberbill357
March 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
This thread is a HOOT! I know a lot of people including maybe me who dress funky on the range but I think the point was this guy's dress betrayed him as a "I don't know anything" type of guy. Sometimes you can teach them what they really want to know and sometimes you just walk away....shaking your head, hoping they don't hurt themselves or someone else.
Let's face it in the good ol' US of A everyone is special.

The-Reaver
March 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
I mean when I go I wear my BDU bottoms & boots.... but that's about as tacticool as I get.

Hell I just wear them cause they are my most comfortable pants & I always wear my boots so its not like I'm trying for any certain look.

230RN
March 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
Well, in 73 years I've seen cosplaydrag, tactidrag, dragdrag, hippiedrag, droopiepantsdrag, harikrishnadrag, gangstadrag, barbecue drag, yuppiedrag, pajamadrag, liesuresuitdrag, etcdrag, you name it.

Nothing but a passing glance from me. I prefer oldfartdrag, myself. Maybe I'll go down to the range tomorrow in my PJs and old ratty bathrobe just so someone can start another gossipy thread.

Maybe I'll even undo my old ratty ponytail.

:eek:

Terry, 230RN

mgmorden
March 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
I believe people costume themselves for the role they wish to play in front of the footlights on their life's stage. The costumes change as their roles evolve. A wardrobe should not necessarily condemn the wearer's character.

Indeed. To hear some people talk around here you'd think it's a sin to actually buy appropriate garb.

No, I don't do tactical/tacticool because I don't like that image and don't aspire to it. When I'm on my bike though, you can bet I'm wearing that "Lance Armstrong" gear. Its the way cyclists dress. When I'm at a match, I'm typically wearing cargo shorts/pants, some form of sport shirt (Under Armour, etc), and trail running shoes. Choosing sport or activity appropriate apparel is just another way to maintain a neat and upkept appearance for many.

Do you guys snicker and say "who does this guy think he is?" every time you see an office worker who dares to ware a shirt and tie?

AntiSpin
March 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
I can really sympathize with these concerns.

At the range where I go there is a couple of old geezers who really ought to be sitting in rocking chairs, staring at the TV and waiting for lunch.

They wear sweats and sweaters, and bring a gaggle of old, outdated firearms of all types. They haven’t got a single rail, red dot or ambi safety between them.

They have baseball hats with really old military patches on them, back from before most people were born.

They cannot actually believe that they are any good at any of the things where the use of firearms is called for -- I can tell they’ve got weakening muscles, stiffening knees (struggle half a morning to get into a kneeling position) and deteriorating eyesight.

They’re wrinkled, with gray lanky hair and pink scalps peeking through what’s left of their hair.

They practically invite ridicule from anyone and everyone else on the range.

Neither one of us much gives a damn, though.

Resist Evil
March 27, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hey AntiSpin, once on your knees, do you flip a coin to see who has to get up first to help the other up?:D

I did an IDPA Classifier match a week or so ago and that going on your knees thing next to the barrel nearly brought me to tears. Thank Goodness I had the barrel to lean on to help me back up.

JN01
March 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
This thread is a HOOT! I know a lot of people including maybe me who dress funky on the range but I think the point was this guy's dress betrayed him as a "I don't know anything" type of guy. Sometimes you can teach them what they really want to know and sometimes you just walk away....shaking your head, hoping they don't hurt themselves or someone else.

Lots of folks mix "dress up" with gun games. I've been involved with living history type activities and dressed up many times. Sure you look funny and people give you odd glances but if you're having fun, so what.

However, the other side of it is what Bomber Bill was alluding to. There are some people who are posers who like to get all decked out in the gear and have no clue of what they are doing. I've seen it in the re-enacting community. A guy spends a fortune on the perfect clothes, knives, accouterments, rifle, etc to look like the reincarnation of Daniel Boone, but doesn't know how to load his gun and gets lost 50 feet into the woods.

We perhaps shouldn't make snap judgments about people based on their appearance, but sometimes your knee-jerk reaction is "***?"

If they look funny and THEN act like an idiot, whats wrong with calling a spade a spade?

armoredman
March 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
Trex, olive drab dentures are gonna make me think of driving to LA via Omaha!

I look like this when I wear a light jacket, my favorite I got on sale at WalMart for $15 a few years ago. I like the look of Natural Gear.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz-58%20targets/vz58sightininTRS25.jpg

Warm weather I look more like this,

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/Phantomattherange.jpg

Now if I tried to wear what I might wear at home in a shooting situation, I might look like this...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/Firearms%20rights%20posters/sickandtired.jpg

Getting the LaZBoy on the firing line might take some work...

I saw a couple of guys setting up some time ago, full black tactical gear, high speed/low drag AR-15s with all the bells and whistles, and the target set at 10 yards. Now before anyone castigates me for criticizing, I wasn't, but when I tried to speak to them I was rebuffed rather rudely. Same thing happened when I was at a local cowboy shooting match, exactly one person tried to make me and my son feel at home while they were shooting, 99% of the others wouldn't talk to us, or would deliberately cut between me and the person I was speaking to to turn their back on me and interrupt. Very clannish, and obviously didn't want us there. Not a rail or red dot in sight. :)
Come to think of it, the last three times I attempted to approach a group that was shooting I was politely told where I could go place myself. Individuals are far more likely to be friendly.

roadchoad
March 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
Well, in 73 years I've seen cosplaydrag, tactidrag, dragdrag, hippiedrag, droopiepantsdrag, harikrishnadrag, gangstadrag, barbecue drag, yuppiedrag, pajamadrag, liesuresuitdrag, etcdrag, you name it.

Nothing but a passing glance from me. I prefer oldfartdrag, myself.

I prefer to avoid those dressed in drag, but I won't judge you for it.

Apple a Day
March 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
It seems to me a LOT of new people have been buying guns lately so we'll see a lot of people at the range trying to emulate what they've seen in movies and television because we learn what we see. I intend to lead by example and always be ready to help a new shooter get squared away when asked. We all started somewhere and a lot of us aren't nearly as far along as we'd want to believe. :neener:
A kind word and some coaching could turn a short-term prepper into a long-term firearms enthusiast. A derisive snicker may discourage a newbie from continuing to practice and learn which makes everybody a little less safe.
My range uniform: Kilt, thong, white tanktop and ballcap with the Monster Hunter International logo on it. ;)

btg3
March 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Sometimes I look around at the range and figure walmart must have had a sale on black t-shirts and cigars.

JN01
March 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
If they look funny and THEN act like an idiot, whats wrong with calling a spade a spade?

I meant this in context of discussions such as this. I do not condone public ridicule, finger pointing, snickering or other such rude behavior.

Resist Evil
March 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
"Come on people now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try and love one another right now." At the range.

Let's smile at the Youngbloods (sorry) at the range and see if we can't all be friends.

:D

B!ngo
March 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
There's a part of me that admires the ability of others to act out a bit of their 'inner dreams'. If this guy is a SOCOM wannabe, and wants to spend a little time living the dream, more power to him.
OTOH, c'mon. It can be pretty comical. And when you get past some of the PC comments, it's fun to get a laugh out of the look and behavior of others. So long, at least in my book, as you bite your cheek and laugh with your inside voice. Life has a big theatre component to it and I do my best to watch it all and enjoy it.
Finally, all the the above aside, when it comes to guns, safety is the prime directive. Stepping out on a hot range to get your knives, drinking a few and shooting the rest, any form of letting your personal style conflict with your safety, and the safety of others is just plain unacceptable. Help out in those situations where it seems prudent or get the heck out of there.

Shadow 7D
March 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
If you see the uber tactikool guy or the range bum, it may be me, I have stuff left over from the army, I wear stuff that is comfortable, weather dependent, I may be in 'tacticool ninja' or looking like the guy on the corner downtown (just a lot cleaner)

I wear clothes I find comfortable and useful
I'm not spending a ton on 'range clothes'
I'm not buying 'feild and stream'
I'm not buying 5.11
I have 4 different types of webgear, I have them cause supply wouldn't take them and, well, I'm kinda nostalgic.

If I ever get into shooting sports, then I'll probably get more stuff to take to the range to fill a need. Oh, and the real deal, they use their cargo pockets alot, are DAMN impressive, have detail guys OR do it all themselves. I should know, I was a detail guy, see, you get a trade off, you work for them, and they let you shoot their range, or get on their jump manifest.

As for the new guy, with all the 'gear' still with packaging creases in it, well, like above says, safety first, ALWAYS.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
March 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
Snobbish attitudes seem to flourish on here when it comes to attire and weapons. My own personal opinion is, if it floats ya boat, have at it. My range attire is dependent on what activity I will be addressing that day. If I am ranging in a new setup for hunting, then I will usually wear whatever I will be hunting in. Just like in archery, wear what you will be wearing IN THE FIELD because those adjustments will be dependent on fit and feel of the rifle on your shoulder. Way too many people seem to overlook this little tidbit of information and miss a nice deer because their rifle got a little hung up on that bulky jacket while coming to shoulder.

Now granted, I really don't see the point pf the "mall ninja" garb from guys/girls that have no affiliation with LE or MIL but hey, who the hell am I to judge? Maybe some of you guys laughing at them would like it if someone came and judged YOUR attire at your other activities? As long as they aren't being totally retarded (like the guy retrieving his throwing knife on a hot range) then leave them to their fun. Maybe offer some advise as the OP did to keep the guy from screwing up his gas tube or, if you see them having difficulties, offer respectfully the needed instruction. We shooters have enough trouble from the anti's to be driving away new shooters over stupid stuff like this.

buck460XVR
March 27, 2012, 08:27 PM
t I clearly understand how mother nature now, weeds out the weak and dumb.

We all are weak and dumb at some point in our lives. We get past it thanks to parents and good mentors. Thank goodness they didn't chip a tooth or two. They probably did, but were gracious enough to not let us know.

EnfieldEnthusiast
March 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
At Bisley ranges,in Surrey,England,modern military clothing(Including tactical clothing:)is prohibited for practical rifle & shotgun shooting,unless the competitors are serving military members or members of a police tactical weapons unit.The reasonfor this,is that camo clothing gives the enemies of practical shooting sports,the excuse,to denounce shooters as paramilitary nutters,like those found in America(according to them,not myself:-).Yes folks they really do scrape the barrel on these ones.the response is, 'Dress appropriately,we are not a force in training'...as it gives out the wrong impression'!!!. Apparently these rules were made in 1989, two years after the Hungerford Massacre in 1987,as the killer,was a looney who dressed up in camo-gear,whilst on is gun rampage.
However for muzzle-loading events & historical arms shooting,period,military clothing is permitted.So a shooter can dress up as a WW1 Tommy,for a WW1 historical shoot,but not a modern-day soldier or tactical police officer,from what I can see.

kd7nqb
March 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
more importantly what sort of Fudd range do you belong to that you can't Open carry on a rifle range?

BLACKHAWKNJ
March 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have reached the point where the only things that bother me at the range are rudeness, inconsiderateness and unsafe behavior. I laugh at "range rangers/tacticool" types, they may dress the part but they never LOOK the part, as others have noted, they are usually at least 30 pounds overweight and display little knowledge of their firearms and other equipment.
They probably should have their own organization-"SOCOM Shooters"-why not? There is the North-South Skirmish Association, SASS has grown by leaps and bound in recent years, the NMLRA has required period attire at many of its events for years, I recently learned of the Zoot Shooters-1920s-1930s USA. Period firearms and attire are required. As long as the range rangers don't bother, practice safe gunhandling and don't try be poseurs or pretend they ares to this Army veteran (1967-1971) we can get along.

jeepnik
March 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
A real Range Ranger, the functional equivalent of Bill Mauldin's Canteen Commando.
Also reminds me of Barry Sadler's song Garra-Trooper. I loved the line about him looking down and seeing a "spit shined boot" of the Garra-Trooper who had just returned from a 15 day running fight with the "cong".

litauer
March 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
My tactical, ballistic fleece always generates admiring comments and a few complaints from dolts who trip on the extension cord.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/litauer/P1050882.jpg

Walther P99
March 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
"I will spend so much time improving myself that I will not have time to criticize others."

I'm usually too into my own shooting to notice what others are wearing. I may notice what others are shooting, though..

As for me, I just wear jeans and a simple T-shirt.

Vonderek
March 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
litauer, awesome tactical light! Thanks for a good laugh!

litauer
March 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
My pleasure. It's important to be prepared.

SharkHat
March 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
more importantly what sort of Fudd range do you belong to that you can't Open carry on a rifle range?

The DNR ranges in my area (Busch Wildlife specifically) all prohibit it. They also don't allow you to carry weapons to or from the line when the range is cold and shooters are downrange. So, even if you're done shooting and your weapons are cased, you have to wait until the line goes hot to leave.

I've heard that some shooters find it a bit overbearing or stifling. I don't. I think it's very well run.

March 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
Lottsa laughs here. Thanks!

I have to say: Don't know my membership date, but I've been lurking this forum for a lot longer than that. I bought my first gun based on what the interwebs said - and tried to teach myself to shoot with the same sources for info. Not gonna lie, in the beginning, I thought I had to look cool in order to, "belong." Yeah, some of it was where I was shooting. But, much of it was because a lot of what many of us take to be common knowledge seems like black magic to those uninitiated. In the beginning, I could use the same target for 3-4 mag dumps. Strangely, it always looked untouched after a mag change... Magic and all that...;)

My style: cargo shorts, golf shirt and flops. This is Florida - that's my tactical gear.

Your style: whatever you want to sweat in. As of now, it's gonna be 88F w/ 90% humidity this weekend.:D

Still waiting on that mentor. Would love for some old fart to watch me miss and tell me why - and how to fix it.

Crazy Carl
March 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
I just laugh at the posers. I retired from a Special Operations MOS & didn't like wearin' that crap for work. The only military gear you'll see me in at the range is my cut-off BDU shorts 'n maybe a boony hat during a match, so I don't fry my dome.

I dunno. I just don't get the mall ninja/wannabe type. If ya wanna be so badly, go sign up & do it for real; otherwise, knock off the tacticool BS.

stealth
March 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
Well isn't this thread popular! I'll never understand ranges.

My last "range experience":

Time: Last Sunday, after church.

Locale: Private woods, next to jeep parked in the 8" mud ruts on the trail I drove down on, throwing muddy water all over the once white cherokee.

Dress: White Sunday clothes, prone in the mud. Rifle propped up by a long downed tree trunk.

Result: Probably the best groups I've had with my .22 rifle. Some steel target thrown in for fun. Country boy? No doubt.

allaroundhunter
March 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
If ya wanna be so badly, go sign up & do it for real; otherwise, knock off the tacticool BS.

They want to go on the real missions, but don't want to go through the strenuous training that precede it....

Sky
March 27, 2012, 11:42 PM
I guess I am lucky, not observant, or something.

Most of the guys I shoot with are boarder patrol, ICE, or some other alphabet agency. The out door range has just upgraded the lanes an put flashing lights on the different courses when the range goes COLD. We never needed anything like that but there are so many newbies now the range is getting a little more formal.

Everyone I have had contact with has been very respectful and either willing to help someone or ask someone a tech question.

We do have several new people where English is their second language but all seem to be pleasant to be around. Last time I was out I was working with the wife with a GSG 1911. One of the guys on my lane was teaching 3 other new shooters to our right. He inquired about the GSG 1911 and I gave him my 2 cents worth on the weapon and let him shoot a few mags through it. All 7 of us on that lane ended up shooting each others weapons and just having a good day plinking. My wife shot one of his pistols and she popped 4 targets at 30 yards in rapid succession. Little did he know it was pure luck on her part but gosh he was impressed; I was too needless to say! When we got in the car I told her 'great shooting' and she just said "Impossible" with a big grin!

The owner is usually in camo and packing at least 2 weapons. We do have a few members that you might say are wound a little tighter than most but all in all everyone works together and seems to get along safely. Clothes are everything you can think of but all seem to have fun except for the young girls who think it is cool to go their in high heeels.....ground is to soft most of the time but until they get stuck, in their mind, they are styling for their guy.

Whacked
March 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
bicycle world champion fairy
OK I take offense over that comment.
you've never ridden a bicycle further than a block have you?
Quite a few of those "fairys" are indeed racers.
Many do it for the enjoyment or for fitness.
have you ever ridden a bicycle 100+ miles in a day?
I have. I'm a slow rider and it took me just over 7hrs with a 30min lunch.
I couldn't do it today (old and fat and ride a mountain bike nowdays so no lycra for me) but I often ride 20-30 miles for fun.
Sometimes I even ride for some charity drive.

those tight clothes serve a purpose.
Less wind resistance and when some IDIOT who cant understand that a person on a bicycle is TRAFFIC passes much too close and clips them, or the blast of air from their speed throws them into a ditch, or worse yet sends them skidding on the pavement, the tight fitting lycra aids the rider in preventing road rashes (much like leather on a motorcycle rider)

get a freaking clue

MAJ Mike
March 28, 2012, 12:03 AM
Many, many years ago when I was on my state's Composite National Guard M14 team, I would practice wearing the same uniform I'd wear during competition shoots. I practiced off-hand/standing, kneeling, and prone positions complete with magazine changes.

I hope I didn't come off as a mall ninja. Really did love that accurized M14. Wonderful, wonderful weapon.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 28, 2012, 12:39 AM
If ya wanna be so badly, go sign up & do it for real; otherwise, knock off the tacticool BS.

OR

Many, many years ago when I was on my state's Composite National Guard M14 team, I would practice wearing the same uniform I'd wear during competition shoots. I practiced off-hand/standing, kneeling, and prone positions complete with magazine changes.

I hope I didn't come off as a mall ninja. Really did love that accurized M14. Wonderful, wonderful weapon.

This. Some of those people who dress the part may be doing it for training. That's what I do when I go to state land to shoot. Don't they always tell us "train as you fight"? Well It sure as heck feels different doing reloads and movement drills when you actually have your plate carrier on. I have about 3 or 4 buddies who I shoot with, all in my unit, who do the same thing. It has made us far better soldiers than a day of waiting around at an Army range training session could ever hope to. After we started doing this about 4 years ago, all of our BRM score shot up, our general weapon handling got better, our tactics and comfortabilty moving in full gear improved. And I do think it prepared us more for our deployment to Afghanistan in 2010. Now that we're back, and all alive and unharmed, I plan on keeping it up for the next deployment. Laugh and scoff and me all you want if you see me at the range. You won't be the one behind the mud walls next deployment, so your opinion doesn't really matter to me.

Agsalaska
March 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
There's a part of me that admires the ability of others to act out a bit of their 'inner dreams'. If this guy is a SOCOM wannabe, and wants to spend a little time living the dream, more power to him.
OTOH, c'mon. It can be pretty comical. And when you get past some of the PC comments, it's fun to get a laugh out of the look and behavior of others. So long, at least in my book, as you bite your cheek and laugh with your inside voice. Life has a big theatre component to it and I do my best to watch it all and enjoy it.
Finally, all the the above aside, when it comes to guns, safety is the prime directive. Stepping out on a hot range to get your knives, drinking a few and shooting the rest, any form of letting your personal style conflict with your safety, and the safety of others is just plain unacceptable. Help out in those situations where it seems prudent or get the heck out of there.
This. The 'life has a big theater' is how I see it too. For whatever reason it just makes me laugh too. Doesnt necesarily mean that I am judging them. THey may be awesome guys. But there clothes are funny.

I play a lot of golf. Competitive golf. We have the same thing on the golf course. Guys will show up all decked out in the latest and greatest fashions from Nike, Taylor Made, Callaway, etc. They will have the newest of every club all by the same manufacturer as their clothes. The look like they are being paid big money. We might laugh a little cause its funny, especially if the attitude comes with it. But by no means are we rude or treat them bad. Usually they are pretty nice guys that just like the look or get more confidence on a golf course with it. They are usually real nice when they realize they cant win a hole. Some of them are pretty good friends of mine now. But again, that doesnt mean its not funny.

JRH6856
March 28, 2012, 01:19 AM
Quote:
It actually does. In states where OC is legal, you may OC on the range whether the owner specifically is okay with it or not. Since Texas state law does not allow OC, it is up to the owner of the land.
ummmm....no, like you said, on private property.....the owner makes the rules..

I would guess the difference is that in OC states, you may open carry on private property unless the owner prohibits it. In NON OC states, you may not OC unless they owner allows it.

I just know that if no open carry on ranges is insane, then around here where I live, insane is the new normal.

JRH6856
March 28, 2012, 02:06 AM

I'm guessing you can open carry a rifle on the rifle range.

30 years ago:

I could go to the range and not worry about what I or anyone else was wearing, because there was nobody else there.

I could shoot bench, bullseye, silhouette, tactical, whatever, because there was nobody else there.

I could open carry, shoot from the hip, practice fast draw, use any target setup I wanted because there was nobody else there.

I din't have to worry about hot or cold range because there was nobody else there.

The range didn't need a full time range officer controlling the range because there was nobody else there.

Shooting has gotten a lot more popular and ranges a lot more crowded. And just like life in general, the more people you get close together, the more rules you need to ensure safe conduct by everyone. When I go the range now, I follow the rules, no matter how strict they are because there is somebody else there and the rules make it safer for everyone.

exavid
March 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
I'm lucky or perhaps people here are just more polite. At my gun club indoor range and the country outdoor ranges most folks say hello and are pleasant. Most are dressed casually, the only time I see much camo is when it's close to deer season and then the camo is mostly orange. Tactical stuff other than quite a few AR type rifles doesn't seem very popular here but that's probably because hunting is very popular and pistol shooters don't seem to be much for tactical stuff.

ms6852
March 28, 2012, 02:54 AM
Ooops never mind.

Chris-bob
March 28, 2012, 02:55 AM
Hmm, I see all sorts at our range. I know most of them, so it's easy to know if they are crazy or real. But they are all fairly polite. Me, I wear Carhart double-knee pants, Flannel shirt, Carhart jacket, camo ball cap, and extra-tuufs(16"neoprene boots). I blend in with 90% of the other shooters.

ms6852
March 28, 2012, 03:02 AM
You are right, I remember the days in the early and late 60's when I thought I was pretty cool with a bandana wrapped in my long hair, my father's army shirt with no sleeves or buttons and my jeans tucked in my moccasins while riding my Harley...yea I was cool...in my mind...probably just a female hygiene product to everyone...lol.

ms6852
March 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
"He got a little upset when he was told he could not open carry on the rifle"

Why does the range have this policy?

"Asked him if he had served in the military and replied he had not."

Why does this matter?

An interesting OP. I have never met a person like that at my gun club. I have seen a kid with a dad who would allow his son's bolt to be closed on a rifle pointed down range when people went to check their targets. (I saw that the magazines and chambers were emptied but I still like open bolts)

Just curious - did the knife stick?
The range I belong to requires that you conceal carry as is Texas law...when he was asked to remove or conceal it at that time he was on the rifle range. It is okay to open carry while you are on the pistol range only.

It does not matter to me whether he served or not. I asked him simply because I am retired military and since he was dressed in such fashion I figured it would be nice to talk about something in common, something we could both share as I had never met the individual.

ms6852
March 28, 2012, 03:35 AM
You hit the nail in the head...I pre-judged him as most humans do but will not admit it. I just figured he was a little bit more knowledgeable because of his attire. Usually most people have conducted a ton of research whether through the internet or word of mouth.
I was mislead by his attire. But when I kept him from ruining his AR I realized his knowledge of this particular weapon was very limited.

You wanna see funny stuff, come out to my range on Veterans day and laugh at all of us who remember the days when we were actually that small and could actually fit in those uniforms...Khakis for me with bloused boots.

forestdavegump
March 28, 2012, 04:25 AM
Where we shoot it is invite only and you have to be brought by a member if your not a member. So this cuts way back on the people doing the barrel rolling and tactical rail swap on the firing line. Also there are alot less of the tactical gear wearing. We have a place and time for the "running and gunning" and all that gear testing....lol. Never ever had anyone afraid to shoot here to the point they needed to "open carry" for protection. If and when I am firing a weapon that would not be the SAFE time for you to steal or should I say attempt to steal all my guns?
Common courtesy, manners, humility are all things that will get you respect on the range. Let your kindness and your shot placement inside the ten ring speak for you. You don't need to dress tacticool or were hoodies or dress like a redneck unless that is who you are? Who are you trying to impress? Respect, honor, manners, will get you far.

ChCx2744
March 28, 2012, 04:43 AM
The most "tactical" I've ever gone to the range in, is black BDU pants with Danner boots, but they weren't bloused into the boots. Never put on my chest ring or drop-leg platforms or anything like that...Now if it were some outdoor private range where I wanted to do some drills with all that stuff, then yeah...But I don't think that is necessary at a public indoor range where your everyday joe goes...Don't wanna scare the sheep away.

Clipper
March 28, 2012, 04:49 AM
My range wear is usually sorta reminiscent of Bruce Willis about halfway through Die Hard With a Vengance...Sans blood and my OCing is OWB.

baronthered
March 28, 2012, 05:16 AM
I've shot a coyote from my back porch :D

in snow,(barefoot), :uhoh:

in my undies :scrutiny: :eek: once upon a time.

I don't get to shoot with other folks very often personally. I generally wear anything from shorts and t shirt to cammo pants and t shirt. whatever is comfy, and that's my only requirement.

Mp7
March 28, 2012, 05:17 AM
Always remember: The right to bear hoodies shall not be infringed!

mljdeckard
March 28, 2012, 05:54 AM
Why not?

mgmorden
March 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
Always remember: The right to bear hoodies shall not be infringed!
Why not?

First amendment. Clothing choice is a form of expression, and hence comes under free speech.

GAF
March 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Safe and unsafe often dress exactly alike.

To each his own !

We were all beginners once. Give a hand and friendly advice when you see it is needed.

XD 45acp
March 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Aw, I don't care what they wear to the range... hell, wear a Ghillie suit if ya wanna. It's the dumb crap I see folks do that gives me the most chuckle. However when watching the show, a costume does make it better though.:D

mcdonl
March 28, 2012, 11:17 AM
GAF, I agree with the we were all beginners once... heck, we are all still beginners in one way or another.

It is just hard to bring yourself to help a beginner when they go out of their way to look and act like they are seasoned operators. I think that is the point of this thread... If a guy shows up looking like someone straight out of the service, and he shoots and operates with the same level of professionalism as he/her dresses than it is no big deal.

The problem is when they THINK they are something they are not.... makes it harder to step up and help them.

BRE346
March 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sam1911 makes more sense than most.

mcdonl
March 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sam1911 makes more sense than most.
He always does.

InkEd
March 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have never been very concerned about fashion at the shooting range. My typical attire is worn for practical reasons like weather or to aid with my shooting. I suggest people just do the same and not worry about others.

Alot of new shooters research which firearms are well suited for their needs but forget to research necessary clothing for the sport. Rather than mocking new shooters we should compile a list of helpful/practical clothing for new shooters to wear to the range.

I will give my recommendations and perhaps some other members could help with their own ideas and advice too.

The most commonly overlooked item is a hat. It will keep your head warm or cool depending on the style. If you want to be seen as a serious shooter, you can wear a PROPELLAR BEANIE. This is the style is considered the ONLY type of hat to wear by many experienced marksmen.

WHY?

Simple, it has no brim/bill to prevent you from getting your eye firmly pressed right against your optic/scope. They often have a chin-strap to prevent loss when running drills. Lastly, the propellar itself, can be used to help determine speed and direction of the wind when making adjustments for long range shots.

That is my best insider tip for specialty clothing to bring to the range.

-InkEd

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
It is just hard to bring yourself to help a beginner when they go out of their way to look and act like they are seasoned operators. I think that is the point of this thread... If a guy shows up looking like someone straight out of the service, and he shoots and operates with the same level of professionalism as he/her dresses than it is no big deal.

The problem is when they THINK they are something they are not.... makes it harder to step up and help them.

So why not make the thread and the question about something objective and relevant like observing how someone shoots and how safe they are while doing it, instead of something subjective and ultimately irrelevant like their style choice?

I've seen bad shooters with the best gear and great shooters wearing just khakis and a t-shirt. I've seen actual SF soldiers using all of that gear they way it is supposed to be used, and seen that it can and does help when you know what you're doing. I've been to Civil War and WWII reenactments, and known people who take part in them. Some were just hobbiests who have never fired a real gun in their lives, and some are current soldiers who I deployed with. I've seen shooters on public land doing whatever they want, at indoor ranges with rules, at tactical shooting courses and beginner CPL classes, on police training ranges, and in live fire combat in Afghanistan.

One thing I've learned seeing all these shooters in all these places is that how they appear and how they shoot have pretty much nothing to do with each other. So when I see other people equating the two, it does kinda get to me.

JRH6856
March 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
how they appear and how they shoot have pretty much nothing to do with each other.

And forgetting that in the wrong situation can be dangerous (not talking about the range here).

Nite Ryder
March 28, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sometimes you just run into someone like this that makes you want to bite your tongue or snicker. What I usually do is take them aside where no one can hear and tell them that if they need some instruction, I will help them. In a kind way I try to point out most people don't dress that way, and most people don't behave that way, etc. Usually this happens with a young person that has no one to teach them any better. But, some people you can't help.

jdh
March 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
Carl,
Take a close look at the next mall ninja you happen to run into and ask yourself if they could come close to passing the entry physical.

CAR-AR
March 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
I usually wear cargo shorts with a t-shirt and tennis shoes since the weather is usually mild. I wear my Thermo Scientific hat with the bill facing to the front on nice days and facing to the back when shooting my PSS in hot weather. That's about it for my tactical dress up. :neener:

I usually do use talcum during very hot days to to reduce shooting rash from the wooden seats on the lines. When I go to the range I'm there from opening to closing. :D

Smokin Gator
March 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
Come on. Sure, it doesn't matter what others are wearing or doing at the range, as long as they are safe and not messing things up for the other shooters. But, some of the stuff you see crosses the line into being funny. If someone is a new shooter, just having some problems due to inexperience, accepting a little help, great. Most of us have been there. But when you see a guy that dresses and acts like a no it all, special forces, sniper, ninja, with a bad ass attitude, etc. and then can't handle his weapon or shoot it, it's a different story. Plus, they sometimes do things in a way that they do want you to be aware of them being there, they draw attention to themselves. They are hard not to notice. Mark

thefamcnaj
March 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
I talked about my local range ninja in a previous thread, but I'll talk abut him again.
First off I don't begrudge this guy what so ever becasue me and my wife go to my truck and laugh our buts off.
He's affectionately known as "happy rounds". He says thats all he shoots, happy rounds.
He wears black hawk tactical pants, a tactical vest and a got sig hat. To complete the look he puts on the black fingerless biker gloves. He'll clear the range and start running and dive onto his stomach, scan right scan left, then fire. He'll also pull the barrels onto the range and set them up and roll from one to the other, coming up on one knee. He's nice as can be off of the range, but on the range he scowls and breathes hard.
But everyones favorite favorite part of his routine is when he's done shooting. He goes to get his target and before he takes it down he practices striking it, with a tactical light that has the reinforced face.
Oh I love it, makes my day everytime I'm lucky enough to see tactical retiree in action.

Certaindeaf
March 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
There's nutnfunny about it. He probably read on the internet about the sand spiders that are everywhere and bloused his bloomers just to be safe.

exavid
March 28, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hmm, I see all sorts at our range. I know most of them, so it's easy to know if they are crazy or real. But they are all fairly polite. Me, I wear Carhart double-knee pants, Flannel shirt, Carhart jacket, camo ball cap, and extra-tuufs(16"neoprene boots). I blend in with 90% of the other shooters.
Hey Chris-Bob, do you guys still shoot at the old quarry north of town? That used to be a popular shooting spot back in the 70s when I lived in Ketchikan.

Crazy Carl
March 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ragnar- I can tell the difference between a soldier in uniform & a mall ninja. Trust me, I have the utmost respect for those soldiers training on their own time.

Jdh- no doubt. If they'd learned their gun handling skills, traipsin' thru the woods & hunting, as opposed to playing Call of Duty, it'd be a different story, but alas....

My favorites are the tacti-fools who enlisted but got medical'd out for mono or a bum knee :rolleyes:

SharpsDressedMan
March 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
In my world, I TRY to make it as acceptable to dress as one wishes as I do to allow others to think and speak as freely as they would like to. I really DO support freedom.

mgmorden
March 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sometimes you just run into someone like this that makes you want to bite your tongue or snicker. What I usually do is take them aside where no one can hear and tell them that if they need some instruction, I will help them. In a kind way I try to point out most people don't dress that way, and most people don't behave that way, etc. Usually this happens with a young person that has no one to teach them any better. But, some people you can't help.

So let me get this straight, you're calling aside perfect strangers to tell them you't don't like the way they dress, and you think THEY'RE the ones that need to learn something? :banghead:

shootniron
March 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
And, if the range doesn't have one...the local Sheriff's office has one.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
So let me get this straight, you're calling aside perfect strangers to tell them you't don't like the way they dress, and you you think THEY'RE the ones that need to learn something?

That pretty much sums it up.

How about everyone just stay concerned with whether or not other people are acting safely,
and keep your noses our of anything else?

No one is obligated to live up to your standards of anything. You don't know them, you don't know why they are acting or dressing the way they are, and honestly, you have no right to say anything or judge them unless what they are doing is actually affecting you.

The old statement about "you know what happens when you assume..." rings more true in this thread than in most. Stay in your own lane, but literally and figuratively.

Free advice is usually worth what you paid for it. And that goes for fashion advice too. One of the most aggravating things about going to any organized range is other shooters giving unsolicited advice on everything from what gun one should have bought, to they should be shooting a different way, and everything in between. I guess we can add "this is how you should have dressed yourself this morning" to the list of stuff no one wants to hear from a stranger. You wouldn't stand behind a stranger in line at Wal-Mart and say "excuse me, you don't know me, but you should have picked a different outfit today" would you? Would you want someone to do that to you? Why is the range any different.? You're a stranger. Back off and mind your own business. If someone wants your advice or help, they'll ask. And even if they're too scared to, oh well. Part of being adult means doing your own thing. Giving unsolicited advice is basically treating someone like a child. Stop being patronizing and condescending, do your thing, let them do theirs, and just have your own fun. They can safely have their fun however they want. They don't owe you an explanation, and they certainly don't owe you a change in their own behaviour or manner of dress to fit what you think is right.

It's not about whether your advice is good (in your eyes) or not. It's the fact that as one adult to another, you really have no place offering any advice at all if it wasn't asked for.

CSB: The first and last time I went shooting at a DNR range in Michigan, I went to zero my AR-15. I had no less than three separate elderly "gentleman" approach me and ask me why I bought an AR-15 for hunting. This was before I shot at all, and no, I never said anything to them at all in the first place, much less that I was there for hunting at all. They just assumed I was a hunter, that I was planning on using a AR-15 for it, and that was somehow a big error on my part and it was their job to correct it. So they walked up to me while I was setting up and just struck up a conversation about how wrong my rifle choice was.

Yeah. Thanks. But no thanks.

Doug S
March 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Glad to read the many responses here from "mature" folk, who don't go around looking down their noses at others. All too often forums sound like a a boys club. For the record, so that no one speculates that I'm a so-called "range ranger", I'm pretty "conservative" in my dress. Also, I will admit that some of the descriptions do make for good comedy.

DC Plumber
March 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
About 20 years ago I commented to the guy that I was working for, how stupid someone looked. He promptly asked me, "who are you to judge?".

I am embarrassed for people who wear military clothing who have never served. It doesn't seem right to me. I am also embarrassed for people who have orange, purple or some other non natural hair color.

BUT, it's a free country and as long as you don't infringe on the rights of others, you are free to do as you wish, pretty much.

I actually laugh when I see "non comforming" citizens. It makes it really easy for me to be successful and stand out as a "normal" person. You don't see many top executives with tri colored hair and a nose ring, but if that's what someone wants to look like, have at it.

I do see the OP's point, and yes, it is rediculous. We do have to continually strive to take the high road. It isn't easy. Humans almost always want to take the path of least resistance, but it's worth fighting the urge.

Just my opinion.

wrs840
March 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
People wear a "uniform" (be it Cowboy, Biker, Emo, etc...) to tell people "who they are" and what their value-system consists of. I take it at face value.

It only makes me nervous if they're wearing the uniform of a skinhead, ghetto thug, etc... ('cause to me, that announces: "I'm uncooperative")... then I simply steer clear, and yes, I'll leave a public-range over it, only because I don't feel comfortable about their safety skills. ...but that's just my own prejudice, which I feel I'm entitled to.

mcdonl
March 28, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ragnar, I agree... sorry... I think I may have jumped in for the sake of arguing. Sorry again.

GAF
March 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
GAF, I agree with the we were all beginners once... heck, we are all still beginners in one way or another.

There are days I am the beginner and days I am the master. No telling what the day is going to be like when I get up . I have meet a few who dress and talk like they have been to war, but I want them shooting nowhere near me. They were unsafe.

As I said before Unsafe and stupid can only be proven by action.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Mcdonl, no need to say sorry to me, I wasn't attacking you, I meant the general you meaning anyone who offers an unsolicited opinion at the range. Compulsory lessons on anything are for children. Adults can seek their own advice. To offer someone advice unasked for is to assume your advice is needed. And to assume your advice its needed is to look at someone as if they are inferior.

Red Cent
March 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
They tell me I dress funny every weekend.

Ranger30-06
March 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
Red, that aint funny, that's cool :D

Can't wait to get some overtime at work and pick up a Super Blackhawk and a gunbelt of my own!

AJumbo
March 28, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have been known to wear hunting clothes at the range in order to determine if my nice new Cabela's jacket will let me quickly shoulder my rifle, won't let the buttpad slip, etc. Yessir, I have seen my share of Condo Commandos, at consider them to be comic relief, until/unless they do something dumb and unsafe.

fallout mike
March 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
I laugh when I think people are dressed funny but I keep it to myself.

AJumbo
March 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
In the interests of full disclosure, I openly admit to wearing my SASS gear while trail riding. My Wah-Maker pants, Boss of the Plains hat and Frontier Classics or Texas Jack's shirts and jinglebob spurs actually get horse sweat on em' from time to time.

armoredman
March 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Eons ago, when working at Wells Fargo Armored, I would on occasion take the external vest we wore and an empty coal bag to the range, load the coal bag with rocks or boxes, and practice drawing and firing my issued Smith Model 64 while dumping the bag from various angles. I never got laughed at.

ms6852
March 28, 2012, 11:39 PM
"To offer someone advice unasked for is to assume your advice is needed. And to assume your advice its needed is to look at someone as if they are inferior".

RAGNAR, there are some things I agree with what you stated and some I disagree. When I started this thread it was not about poking fun at anyone. I just gave a very accurate discreption of his attire. I also stated what appeared to me an accurate discreption of what he looked like when I told him what would happen next if continued to try to turn the front sight of his AR. I know he did not ask for any adivice and had he chosen not to listen to me I would have left him alone to ruin his rifle.

Since we were alone at the 200 yard range there was no belittling what so ever. Instead he was appreciative that I stopped him. I also gave him a few pointers and recommended a few websites that would provide him with the correct accessories required to make the modification he wanted for the bipod.

I always want all my fellow shooters old and new to have a great time.

mrvco
March 29, 2012, 12:46 AM
Thankfully "people watching" is not a crime.

MyGreenGuns
March 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
I am embarrassed for people who wear military clothing who have never served.
^I am not MIL, but I have worn a BDU jacket (off/on) for nearly a decade. I wear it to honor my friends that have joined the service, many of them are still actively deployed. I will wear it until the last one of them comes home.

I try not to judge people based on outward appearances. I've spent a lifetime being kicked around by straight-laced 'christians' and being helped out of my misery by "bad people".

I might even look like one of the "bad people". "Who are you to judge?"

45bthompson
March 29, 2012, 04:05 AM
Charles Caleb Colton said it best.... "imitation is the finest form of flattery"

Carl N. Brown
March 29, 2012, 07:41 AM
I don't believe in dressing tacticool or commando, but I do wear a out-of-date camo fatigue shirt gifted to me from a friend in the military, as a jacket mostly for the four pockets with button down flaps and the fact it is tough and durable material (all my 1960s fatigues have been worn out in yard work over the years). I think of recycling military surplus as practical, not tactical. From the 1950s I have bought camping, fishing or hunting supplies from the army/navy surplus stores, but wearing a full battle dress uniform with sidearm is a bit too much.

beatledog7
March 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
In any sporting/leisure endeavor, a person entering has, at some point, a decision to make regarding proper gear and attire.

I suggest that the best plan is to "grow into" your equipment rather than "outgrow" it. If a person is interested in pursuing an endeavor he or she should do the research needed to acquire the best gear he or she can afford, even though at first he or she will clearly have gear that's better then he or she needs for the skill level he or she has.

To illustrate what I mean, here's a cycling analogy. When a rider is just getting started, with lots to learn, should he purchase a high-end bicycle, dress like he's a seasoned pro, and risk being ridiculed as a poseur? He's done the research and paid the money. He knows that both the bike and the clingy synthetic garb will help him become a better rider, so why ridicule him?

But people do. Many of the guys who point the poseur finger are themselves envious of the perceived novice's ability to afford better gear than they can afford.

So, should the novice dress in normal street clothes and ride a beat-up Schwinn Heavy Duty until he's ready for the Tour de France? No. If he does that, he never will be ready.

8654Maine
March 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Interesting thread.

I'm sure some of y'all have seen my type. I try scrimp/recycle what I can.

At my range, I find used targets in the dumpster. I see unused space on all of these targets.

So that's me: balding, middle aged dude shooting at targets in silly attire w/ bullet holes all over the place. A big meh.

MyGreenGuns
March 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
At my range, I find used targets in the dumpster. I see unused space on all of these targets.

:D Glad Im not the only person who does this. I love the "elitest" people who buy a B27 and put 7 holes dead center then throw it out. A sharpie on the back and I have 8 more targets.

8654Maine
March 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
Yep, sharpie in pocket and I'll bring some tape cause there's loose clays and shotgun shells all over. I tape it to the used targets.

I'm sure folks have seen my targets and have thought ill of my shooting abilities. ;-)

Oh, and those BDU's and silly clothes that I wear: left over from my military days and scores from Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores.

Certaindeaf
March 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
When I go golfing, my plaid knickers and fophat help me blend in.

nofishbob
March 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
I have been a guest at a really nice range in the Dallas area that prohibits the wearing of any camo clothing, and prohibits using targets with any depiction of a human on them, even a silhouette or B27-type target.

I could understand (but not agree with) the target rules, but seeing how many shooters are hunters, the camo prohibition is a head scratcher.

Bob

theicemanmpls
March 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
IMO, if a person is safe, what he/she wears on the shooting range is not important

Tactical clothing on obvious non tactical folks can be amusing.

Bottom line at the range is SAFETY.

old4x4
March 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
I've shot a coyote from my back porch :D

in snow,(barefoot), :uhoh:

in my undies :scrutiny: :eek: once upon a time.

I don't get to shoot with other folks very often personally. I generally wear anything from shorts and t shirt to cammo pants and t shirt. whatever is comfy, and that's my only requirement.
I've killed squirrels that were on my bird feeders wearing nothing at all (out the back window). Beat that! :what:

JohnBT
March 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
" am embarrassed for people who wear military clothing who have never served. "

I wear a German army surplus wool shirt, mostly when hunting. I have surplus army gloves from France or Switzerland or somewhere. I even have an old, old solid color M65 U.S. field jacket with liner that my cousin gave me while she was in the Army.

Why would you be embarrassed for me? I have some old army socks and my father's WWII flight gloves and a scarf, too.

Don't fall off your high horse while you're flaunting your attitude.

Carl N. Brown
March 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
I've killed squirrels that were on my bird feeders wearing nothing at all

All the squirrels around here wear nothing too. I don't shoot them cause we're in the city, but then they haven't been raiding the bird feeder either.

armoredman
March 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
Some VERY disturbing images around here...

Cosmoline
March 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
You haven't seen strangely dressed at the range till you've seen me shooting the smoke pole with spandex cycling bibs on. Just remember, what you see, you cannot un-see ;-)

scaatylobo
March 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
"About 3 years ago at the rifle range, we had a guy show up in the all out S.O.F. garb. When the range went cold he placed his target at about 10 feet away from the bench ( ok to do at our range as the bullet still hits the burm ok ),.. anyway, he gets out an impressive M-4 clone, and when we went hot, he puts 2 rounds into his mag, then fires 2 rounds into the target, drops the rifle onto the bench, reaches into the top of his boot, whips out a dagger and throws it at the target. ( OH.. It gets better )... Then proceeds to walk out and retrieve the dagger... ON a HOT RANGE!!! He was politely asked to leave by the R.O."

OMG, I have seen many do really stupid and dangerous stuff at ranges.

But that would / should have been on video and gone viral.

Seen a few "Darwin" tests at range but the worst so far are those that TRY to handle a gun while others are downrange [ I say try as I say and do something ].

I did see a retired correction Lt. shoot himself in the butt,was TOO funny.

He was trying to qual for HR 218,and the R.O. [ NOT ME ] allowed him back to finish a week later.

allaroundhunter
March 29, 2012, 04:58 PM

You might dress funny, but at least you can shoot well doing it ;)

But seriously, that's pretty cool. CAS is something I'd like to get into a little later in life, it looks like a hoot!

BHP FAN
March 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
I wear ''tactical pants'' because that's what I wear for work, and they are comfy. I'll sometimes wear old camo's for the same reason. at my age and weight, blue jeans just aren't worth the struggle to breath in. I purposely don't wear the whole ''tactical'' outfit, preferring instead, a comfortable T-shirt or sweatshirt depending on the weather.it's ''practical tactical''!

Saakee
March 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'll be the first to admit that I allow myself some prejudice when it comes to appearance and attitude of others. Off the top of my head, Bolo ties and cowboy hats make me prejudiced (though i do own a stetson) but the biggest is southern accents: Every time I hear someone with an incredibly thick accent makes me think I should get as far as possible from them before they kill us all doing something incredibly stupid "Hey ya'll watch this!" kinda thing.

But I also dress in ways that people would/could see prejudicially and I'm more than willing to ask questions that some might see as stupid because if I don't know the answer and i want to know it, I have to ask to learn the answer.

my range clothes and my everyday clothes are about the same. Black BDU Propper trousers [usually three or four in rotation], long sleeve black Hanes tees [five in rotation], a black hoodie [three in rotation] or a black long sleeve shirt [unbuttoned] depending upon the heat of the day, and an urban camo (not sure the exact version but white, black, grey camo) jacket with a liner in during winter. I don't like wasting time thinking about what to wear, this way I just grab something clean and go.

For medical reasons I don't wear short sleeves or shorts. That means even if it's a hundred degrees I'm wearing long sleeves/pants and shooting on the line wearing $600 rx Oakley sunglasses and a boony hat. If I make someone else nervous, good. That means my paranoia about them is reciprocated [after all the crap i've been put through i just don't trust anyone anymore].

DC Plumber
March 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
Sorry to other posts, yes, wearing ones military clothing to honor or remember them is definitely OK. It's the ones that wear full camo, have an AR and act and talk like they've been there, done that. That's wrong.

thump_rrr
March 29, 2012, 06:54 PM
Here is a YouTube video of some of the guys I shoot with participating in a service rifle match.
Do you consider this tacticool?

http://youtu.be/KNlG2oLbuUU

exavid
March 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
When I was discharged from the Army at Fort Wainwright I gave all my issue gear except my boots and duffle bag I have is my duffle bag which is still going strong after 48 years. It never occured to me to buy more Army stuff so I just wear civvies at the range. Having served with guys who had strong Southern accents I don't have any prejudices about accents. Some of those "good ole boys" were damn sharp. Same goes for black, asian, hispanic people. I've been lucky enough to work with all kinds over the years, kept me from being judgemental about people unless I knew them to be jerks. I do have some prejudices on clothing. I don't like the 'thug' look on anyone, people, people who wear baseball caps sideways, askew or backwards and those with their pants hanging down and the underwear showing. Those things just look stupid to me. If a guy wants to practice dirt diving and shooting where else could he do it other than at a range of some type. As long as he kept the muzzle down range who cares?

jackpinesavages
March 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
Right, I think in the same direction when I see grossly overweight slobs, standing around talking at the range, like they know something about firearms and tactics.

Guess what? Your lack of life-skills and basic diet knowledge are going to kill you-you don't need to shoot/defend anybody or anything. You'll be an EMT code blue before you can express anymore "knowledge". Go back to Popeyes or KFC, let me continue with my classes.

sawdeanz
March 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
I was looking forward to some funny stories on this thread but it kind of devolved into bickering, oh well. I don't think its about judging people, its just about funny stories, not about tactical vs traditional.

That being said I try to dress as normally as possible, I play airsoft and have a ton of gear, but I just wear normal clothes because I'm a new shooter and don't want to be judged, and outside of airsoft don't try to pose as anything.
I do, however, keep my pistol in an ammo can, and carry my range gear in a vietcong satchel, and my ammo in a German army bag of some sort. I sometimes wear a 1970's German military coat because I thought it was a neat souvenir when I was in Austria. I guess I just think its cool to re-purpose old military stuff, and like military history (also part of why I do airsoft, it's like a more fun version of reenacting).

I participated in my first .22 match yesterday, very informal, mostly old dudes with scoped pistols (we had to pause the match because one put his scope on backwards). One has a crazy handlebar mustache and suspenders, looks like he should be in a German polka band but it was pretty impressive nonetheless, and I say this with all respect. They were all very nice tho, and lent me a .22 to compete with as I don't have one yet. I attribute this to my safe and polite dress and demeanor.

TanklessPro
March 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Who cares what someone wears at the range. As long as they are clothed its fine by me. Maybe they dress that way because they like it. I'm not into cowboy action, but if that's your thing more power to you.
Not to sound like a jerk, but I thought the name of the website was "the high road". When is it the high road when we are overly concerned about what someone is wearing. I'm sorry high school called, and they want the BS back.

Nushif
March 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
[...] and don't want to be judged.

Kinda sad when a new shooter has to watch their wardrobe for that reason when they go shooting.

duck911
March 29, 2012, 10:52 PM

I'd hate to be the last old guy on the range, proud of having shooed away all the young fools, and find no one left.

We all have done silly things when we were young. Ridicule didn't put an end to them. But someone befriending me, helping me mature, did.

#1 reply on THR today.

Whacked
March 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
Right, I think in the same direction when I see grossly overweight slobs, standing around talking at the range, like they know something about firearms and tactics.

Guess what? Your lack of life-skills and basic diet knowledge are going to kill you-you don't need to shoot/defend anybody or anything. You'll be an EMT code blue before you can express anymore "knowledge". Go back to Popeyes or KFC, let me continue with my classes.

Wow, just wow
That has got to be one of the most narrow, small-minded and pathetic post I have read.

Glad I dont live in WI, I would never take a class from you after reading that. ever.

TennJed
March 29, 2012, 11:26 PM

Maybe they just enjoy firearms and are not it only to keep their fear of every shadow at bay.

I get sad when I see people that cannot see the big picture of this hobby, which is enjoyment.

I hope you can find some time in your "class" to enjoy things a bit. Hopefully others at the range will not keep you from your crime fighting super hero practice

19-3Ben
March 29, 2012, 11:42 PM

I'm really not sure I see the link between being fat and not knowing about guns. I have learned a lot about guns from many people, many of whom were likely morbidly obese. But me being in shape doesn't mean I know everything, and someone else being out of shape doesn't make him/her stupid either.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
Thankfully "people watching" is not a crime.

Depends on how you do it. ;)

Larry Ashcraft
March 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the insight, but this one has been circling the drain for quite some time now.

Until next time...

If you enjoyed reading about "Why dress this way at the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!