.223 Tracer Ammo

PDA

BigWoolyBanjo
March 27, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hi,
Is this stuff corrosive or will it cause any problems with my barrel?
-Jeff

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Tracer Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
March 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
Fired sparingly, it won't cause any problems with your barrel. However, rapid-firing tracers can cause your barrel to overheat faster than with normal rounds. That's the only real concern. You shouldn't just rapid fire off a whole magazine of just tracers, but slow firing or once in a while is fine.

p2000sk
March 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
I think that the back of those tracer rounds contain manganese, the metal that burns. Temps over 4,000 degrees F.

The War Wagon
March 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
In my defensive AR mags, the 6th round is a tracer. That way, should it all hit the fan, I know that when I get down to the tracer, I have 5 rounds left - mag change, upcoming!

trex1310
March 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Remember that tracers can cause fires rather easily.

TX1911fan
March 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
War Wagon, you have 11 round AR magazines? I'm not understanding the math.

The War Wagon
March 28, 2012, 02:02 PM

6th round. Means I put 5 in ahead of it. Usually got 24 more on TOP of it.

Those 24 are fired - you fire the tracer - means I have 5 left in this mag.

Hope that helps.

allaroundhunter
March 28, 2012, 02:29 PM

He explained it. But for those that are limited to 10 round magazines they could chamber one round and top off. Thereby you have 6 shots, tracer, and then 5 more rounds.

Ryanxia
March 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
So they can start fires fairly easy huh? I don't think I'll be doing that 6th round trick then. :D

TurtlePhish
March 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Most tracers don't ignite till after they leave the barrel. Inside the barrel, same as anything else.

Roan
March 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
I warn you, once you do nightfire with tracers, you will never quite feel safe about backstops again. We got to play with them while I was in the Army and I was amazed at how many hit the backstop and ricocheted into the air. It looked like Star Wars with all the lights zipping into the sky.

David G.
March 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
I believe that's just the tracer portion of the bullet separating. It's happened to me... bullet hit my backstop, and the tracer likely came out and flew back in a pronounced arc towards a spot 200 feet to our left, and 150 feet up in the air, where at the point it burnt out. All this time it was rapidly decelerating, and following a increasingly rapid curve towards Earth's gravitational pull. The piece that bounced back slowed down much too quickly for a piece of lead.

That being said, know your backstops regardless!

If you enjoyed reading about ".223 Tracer Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!