Glad I don't live in Chicago

PDA

littlebluevette
March 27, 2012, 02:26 PM
Man charged for shooting burgler in his own home

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-elderly-man-shoots-burglar-in-englewood-both-charged-20120326,0,3175723.story

If you enjoyed reading about "Glad I don't live in Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coebam
March 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Unbelievable. I suppose if he would have killed the kid he be charged with murder.

Sam1911
March 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Glad I don't live in Chicago
...And have three prior convictions. :scrutiny:

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it "unbelievable." The DEFENDER had two prior convictions on weapons charges and one for theft. I find no personal fault with his desire and right to defend himself and his wife, in their home, no less.

However, if you've got felony convictions and it comes to the attention of the authorities that you are in possession of a firearm (like because you shoot a burglar with it) -- trouble can only follow.

NOTE: He's NOT being charged with assault or attempted murder -- or any charge stemming from harming the home invader. This is a weapons charge.

Seems he's kept his nose clean enough otherwise that his neighbors like him -- and he's pretty elderly. He'll probably end up with a slap on the wrist for the (new) weapons violation.

jwr_747
March 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
not all states/counties/cities allow armed home protection.Some still live by the "if you can run,run".But like said,weapons charge...jwr

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
March 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
As Sam pointed out, the charges have absolutely nothing to do with his defense of himself in his home. We have a VERY strong Castle Doctrine here (the only damn weapons related law worth a crap here). BUT we also have to have an FOID (Firearms Ownership Identification) card and he was a prior felon so not eligible to own a firearm. THAT is what his charges are. He wasn't even allowed to own a firearm.

BLACKHAWKNJ
March 27, 2012, 08:41 PM
I read a few years ago that the then Mayor Richard Daley (the younger) wouldn't allow RETIRED members of the Chicago PD to carry.

Ala Dan
March 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
"The Windy City" - yeah right, but the winds only blow one way~! NO PLACE FOR ME~!!!!

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
...And have three prior convictions.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it "unbelievable." The DEFENDER had two prior convictions on weapons charges and one for theft. I find no personal fault with his desire and right to defend himself and his wife, in their home, no less.

However, if you've got felony convictions and it comes to the attention of the authorities that you are in possession of a firearm (like because you shoot a burglar with it) -- trouble can only follow.

NOTE: He's NOT being charged with assault or attempted murder -- or any charge stemming from harming the home invader. This is a weapons charge.

Seems he's kept his nose clean enough otherwise that his neighbors like him -- and he's pretty elderly. He'll probably end up with a slap on the wrist for the (new) weapons violation.

And yet again, Sam1911 ends the thread before it begins with logic and facts.

abq87120
March 28, 2012, 12:48 AM
Regardless of the point of that article, I'm still glad I don't live in Chicago.

Agsalaska
March 28, 2012, 01:10 AM
It said he had weapons convictions, not necesarily FELONY weapons convictions. A weapon conviction could be a lot of things. Unless I missed something.

That being said, I too am glad I do not live in Chicago.

Owen Sparks
March 28, 2012, 01:13 AM
If you think Chicago is bad look at the laws in England.

Sam1911
March 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
Ok. So we're glad we don't live in Chicago. And we're glad we don't have priors which make it illegal to own/use firearms. Good, then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glad I don't live in Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!