Glock dislikes

PDA

josiewales
March 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Y'all,
Just wondering who else dislikes the Glock.
I find that the grip is to fat, it's made out of plastic:neener:, and it looks ugly as :cuss:. Most the guys I know like it. Anyone else as radical as I:rolleyes:?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock dislikes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WinThePennant
March 27, 2012, 09:55 PM
When I first started shooting in the early 90's, I hated Glock.

Now, I love my Gen 4 Glocks. I don't find the Gen 4 Glocks to be too fat at all. The Gen 4 Glock has made me consider, for the first time, selling my P226.

Zerodefect
March 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
I love everything about Glocks except:
-trigger bite and that stupid pointy drop safety in the middle of the trigger
-the frames dust cover is melted crooked
-gritty trigger

Plan2Live
March 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm carrying a Glock 2.0, that's a Springfield XDm 3.8 Compact, so I can't say too many bad things about Glock and plastic pistols. The only two things I dislike about Glock is the grip angle and the near religious fervor displayed by the Glock faithful. Aside from that there is a lot to be said for the line.

rcmodel
March 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
The slide is what is fat.
And the grip angle is wrong, (unless you grew up shooting German Luger's).
The trigger is atrocious and mushy, and wears a blister on your finger from trigger slap.
Plus, if you grew up shooting S&W and Colt, it's hard to like a soulless gun like a Glock!

Other then that, what's not to like?
They do usually work.
And they are dishwasher safe!

And if somebody steals it out of your truck?
You can buy another one just exactly like it for chump change compared to a collector grade S&W or Colt with a soul!

rc

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 10:08 PM
That I don't have a few more of them.

And calling the grip angle "wrong" is complete BS. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get used to. And the trigger slap is rare.

meanmrmustard
March 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
That I don't have a few more of them.

And calling the grip angle "wrong" is complete BS. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get used to. And the trigger slap is rare.
I can hold it all day long, doesn't mean it's going to change.

(that's what she said).

I don't like the grip angle, the Superman status, or plastic mags.

matrem
March 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
Other than the group of close minded fans.. and well.. plastic guide rods, triggers, sights and such..
Not much other than the grip angle not to like..
That being said: I've adapted to the grip angle, and I like them rather well.

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 10:18 PM
I can hold it all day long, doesn't mean it's going to change.

(that's what she said).

No, and it's fine not to like it or not want to force yourself to like it. But I'm saying that calling it "wrong" is, well... wrong.

Bobson
March 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Before shooting a Glock, my experience with handguns was limited to a Colt 1911 (while growing up), a Beretta M9 (Air Force), a Springfield XD40 (my own, but sold it within a few months of buying), and most recently, Glock 19 and 23.

The Glocks are my favorite by far. I love the grip angle and ergonomics in general. I LOVE the trigger, both in the physical design and the feel during firing the weapon. I love the look and the manual of arms.

A Glock is a practical weapon in every way. For me, there's absolutely nothing more I could want in a firearm.

meanmrmustard
March 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
No, and it's fine not to like it or not want to force yourself to like it. But I'm saying that calling it "wrong" is, well... wrong.
True. I think it is uncomfortable. Not wrong for some, not right for me.

rcmodel
March 27, 2012, 10:21 PM
calling the grip angle "wrong" is complete BS. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get used to.BS?
Thats easy for you to say!
But how do you get used to something that your hand was never built to fit right?

The only place on a Glock grip that fits my hand with a firm grip is the botton of the back-strap.
That leaves an air-space right in my palm that gives them a running start to rare up in my grip for the following shot and slow down a follow-up.

They don't fit my old hand, and I can't grow a new hand at my age!

If thats BS, I guess it is BS then!
But I don't see it that way.

rc

Inebriated
March 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
BS?
Thats easy for you to say!
But how do you get used to something that your hand was never built to fit right?

The only place on a Glock grip that fits my hand with a firm grip is the botton of the back-strap.
That leaves an air-space right in my palm that gives them a running start to rare up in my grip for the following shot and slow down a follow-up.

They don't fit my old hand, and I can't grow a new hand at my age!

If thats BS, I guess it is BS then!
But I don't see it that way.

rc

Read my last post... It's fine not to like or fit it, and I'm not saying it's not a real difference, because it is... but it isn't anymore "wrong" than a revolver's grip angle.

danez71
March 27, 2012, 10:56 PM
Seeeems like this thread is just meant to whack the hornets nest. :eek:

The untimate deal breaker for me is the trigger reach and that dingleberry in the trigger makes it worse when trying to grab it with out concentrating to stretch my finger.

I prefer a grip angle that I'm use to... and a thumb safety optin would be nice too.

If the trigger reach was shorter I might it.

If they addressed the other two issues I'd probably like it as much as my S&W M&P. ;)

hogshead
March 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
Glock's are tools.Nothing more nothing less. They are very good tools that will last a lifetime. They are not pretty in fact they border on ugly. Some people don't like the grip some people do. I do.They are not a show horse they are however a workhorse.

jbr
March 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
i like sa/da. That pretty much rules them out for me. But I got nothing particularly bad to say about'em (cept their ugly)
But an ugly shovel will dig a hole!

trex1310
March 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
if you grew up shooting S&W and Colt, it's hard to like a soulless gun like a Glock!

I grew up shooting S&W's and Colts, but for some reason doing so
didn't turn me into an elitist. For the record I also like the Glocks, Sigs,
XDs and many others too.

MAJ Mike
March 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
Owned a Glock 19 since 1996. Completely trouble free. Nice shooter. Don't know about this hate for the grip angle -- seems like fly***** in the pepper to me.

I've shot the beloved M1911A1, Beretta Mk9, Ruger P89DC, HK 45C, XD 45ACP, Ruger MkII, Browning Hi-Power, and the Walther PPK. Don't blame your poor shooting results on something as trivial as grip angle.

easyg
March 28, 2012, 12:28 AM
I find that the grip is to fat,
Yeah, some guys and gals who have tiny childlike hands often make this complaint.

it's made out of plastic,
Yeah, guys and gals who like to carry really heavy "boat anchor" pistols which rust and break easy often make this complaint.

and it looks ugly as....
Yeah, guys and gals who are impressed by shiny things often make this complaint.

Most the guys I know like it.
Yeah, most of the guys you know probably appreciate a well made, accurate, reliable, light weight, durable, rugged, robust, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, easy to gunsmith pistol....

those poor bastards.

Anyone else as radical as I
You think you're radical?!?!? :rolleyes:

Sheepdog1968
March 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
Not every handgun fits people the same. For some it's great and like a glove. For others it just won't work. For me they are ok. Not my favorite but I don't dislike them.

allaroundhunter
March 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the grip angle, but I can get by with it because the pros outweigh the cons. I'm also not a fan of the "U-dot" sights. I prefer either 3-dot or a dot and post sight picture.

CZguy
March 28, 2012, 02:03 AM
They are soulless, but they work. I used to like them, and then I had a chance to shoot a Steyr M9 A1. I sold the Glock, and bought a Steyr, and shot it better right from the start. It has the same grip angle, but fits my hand. I don't have to concentrate on holding it like I did with a Glock.

The Steyr doesn't have a soul either, but it sure is a good tool.

el Godfather
March 28, 2012, 03:37 AM
I like all guns that function and preform well.

Glock is not my favorite looking pistol, but put one of the table that can go toe to toe in reliability with it.

I know its mostly 1911 guys who have some severe issues with Glocks, I don't know why, but if we are to discuss dislikes, then they should be objective observations.

Albeit, the HK was first polymer, it was Glock that became the icon of the polymer handgun revolution.

Autolycus
March 28, 2012, 05:26 AM
I wish Glock would take the finger grooves off and leave the rails on. Use the old 2nd generation frames but add a rail to it.

meanmrmustard
March 28, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yeah, some guys and gals who have tiny childlike hands often make this complaint.

Yeah, guys and gals who like to carry really heavy "boat anchor" pistols which rust and break easy often make this complaint.

Yeah, guys and gals who are impressed by shiny things often make this complaint.

Yeah, most of the guys you know probably appreciate a well made, accurate, reliable, light weight,

durable, rugged, robust, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, easy to gunsmith pistol....

those poor bastards

You think you're radical?!?!? :rolleyes:

I hope some day we can all appreciate each others choice in guns, but you Glock guys are full of fervor when it comes to the Fantastic Plastic. You do not have to have child's hands to be uncomfortable with a Glock. I myself find that alone makes it difficult for ME to shoot. It is not
"ugly" but utilitarian in looks, I guess Spartan is the term. As far as being robust, I've seen them jam...at the range. They have few parts, and the ones they do rarely break, making them nearly indestructible. That does not, however, make them something I'd prefer to own, as there are "boat anchor" shiny pistols I prefer over it. Let's not berate someone for having an adverse view of the Glock. If Glock folks can scoff at my boat anchor, then their Tupperware is fair game.

kozak6
March 28, 2012, 06:34 AM
They aren't bad pistols. I recognize that they are very good pistols. World class combat pistols, even.

The ergonomics, however, are wrong for me.

All I ask is that others understand this. There's nothing wrong with the pistol, it's just not for me. I don't much care for the aesthetics either, but that may not even be relevant for a combat pistol.

I don't know, it just seems like admitting the pistol doesn't fit me is flame bait for Glocknicks. Usually, it seems to result in accusations of "doing it wrong", "hating modern technology", and "to just go back to swilling your 1911's, Grandpa".

I have a larger problem with Glocknicks than I do with their pistols.

As a side note, I think the grip angle is irrelevant. I think it's the big stupid "Glock hump" that causes the most problems. I'd even consider owning a Glock if I wouldn't have to pay someone a lot of money to grind that damn thing off.

olderguns
March 28, 2012, 07:01 AM
I guess it's just what you start with my first simi-auto was a G17 in 1986 and I fell in love with ,...it in 1992 first time I shot a 1911, first magazine all the shots hit a couple of inchs low, ,but after 3 or 4 mags I learned to just shift my wrist up a little and shot fine.for what it's worth I give just about any thing for a custom 1911...and I noticed some people continue to call a Glock a cheap gun.. in my opinon $500.00 + is not that cheap,, and if your into after market gear like me it can get insane..my g29 with three lonewolf barrels, night sights ,SS recoil spring and six extra mags, have me in for over $1300.00 but thats over two years not all in one shot...sorry for long post most times I don't have much to say as you can see by my low post count....

Zerodefect
March 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
I just wish they fixed the trigger.

It's a shame too many other manufacturers copied Glocks trigger and also put the drop safeties outside the frame on the trigger. :banghead:

josiewales
March 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
What is with the Glock hate threads already?Hey first of this not a hate thread. They are well made , reliable,and if you like them, good all around carry guns. I was just try to get folks opinion. Nobody seems to mind when someone does the same thing about Mosin Nagants.:confused::D
]

You think your radical:rolleyes:!?!I meant am I the only person who has certain DISLIKES(no hate) wich means personal OPINIONS.
And I am a farmer btw. That equals big hand.

ku4hx
March 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
If you think Glocks are expensive, do some comparisons to Browning, Kimber, Colt, H&K. Glocks are dirt cheap as are their various parts.

MCgunner
March 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
I don't like "safe action" triggers without any other sort of safety. The XDs are far more desirable to me because of the redundant grip safety. Also, I don't like the polygon rifling as I shoot mostly my own cast lead bullets. So, I've avoided Glocks. They're fine if you like 'em. I've got nothing against the 'feel" of 'em, couldn't care less, and I know they're very accurate and reliable. They're THE choice by the majority as stock gun class in the IDPA shoots I've shot in.

I think the amateurs are the Glock owners who can't shoot a REAL DAO trigger and whine and cry about anything over 4 lbs. :rolleyes: :D (said mostly in jest) Besides that, I think revolvers are much easier on my eyes than ANY auto, but I'm old and set in my ways. :D

henschman
March 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Glocks just don't fit my hand as well as others... they are a bit "blocky." I dislike the grip angle also. I find the mag release to be a little hard to reach with my trigger hand, and their different size pistols are just a little off for me (a 17 has a little too long of a grip, and a 19 has a little too short). I dislike the "one size fits all" finger grooves too, as they put my fingers in a little different place than I like them to be. These are all issues that can be "trained out" with a little trigger time... but since there are other options that fit me better and are just as good mechanically, why bother? Thankfully Glock is no longer the only decent, reliable striker-fire pistol design on the market. I like the S&W M&P myself... it fits my hand like it belongs there. I like the trigger a lot better than a factory Glock, too.

Godsgunman
March 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
Personally I'm not a Glock fan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to bash them or talk bad about them. I like having the capability of DA/SA for my carry guns. I just like having the option to go cocked and locked or not. Also I'm just not a fan of trigger safeties, never have been. All that said I have recently been looking at the G19 to add to my collection because I know they are built to run and run and run.

LawofThirds
March 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
I don't like the way they chew on my hand.

Tried a 3rd gen 19.... after a mag and a half, had to stop because of slide bite. Other than that and the funky grip angle, it was nice.

thefamcnaj
March 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
The Gen 4 Glock has made me consider, for the first time, selling my P226.
Now thats saying something, making someone consider selling the flagship sig sauer pistol.
I'm not a glock hater at all. The "plastic doesn't bother me at all as it will still be here in my sons hand long after I'm gone. Looks are no concern to me either. It goes bang every time I ask it too and isn't picky at all about what I feed it.
I'm not huge on the full size grips, but the sub's and compacts feel nice in the hand.

ATLDave
March 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
I shoot my friends' Glocks well, but I just don't enjoy them. I don't like the feel of the trigger with the do-dad in the middle of it. I don't like the feel of the grip, though it doesn't seem to impact performance. I don't like the looks of the gun, particularly the blocky, rectangular slide. I don't like the absence of an external safety (I prefer guns with a "rideable" safety, since that provides an reference for the rest of my grip). I admire the engineering and the performance, but I never get much enjoyment out of shooting them. If I were in a line of work that issued guns, I'd be perfectly happy with that being my issued gun, but I can find more enjoyable guns to spend my own money on.

Clark
March 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
When I started overloading guns, when I started handloading 12 years ago, the Glock trigger did not cooperate with my trigger string.

I had to wrap a rubber band around the trigger.

coalman
March 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
The Gen4 adds needed texture to the grip and address the fat grip on the .45acp Glocks. I'd prefer the .45acp Glocks to have a slimmer slide (other brands do it). I'd prefer 10+1 a .45acp "compact" (like the Glock 19/23/32) that has a full grip without needing the mag. I'd prefer the sights be steel and 3 dot from the factory. IMO, the backstrap design on the Gen4 is a step back. These all are minor really. The Glock is a simple, cheap and reliable gun. It's close to "perfect" in this regard regardless of whether it's your cup of tea of not.

GCMkc
March 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Only the large caliber double stack guns have the fatty grips on them (.45 and 10). Glocks in 9, .40, .357, have thinner grips and are quite comfortable. Try out a thinner framed Glock and you won't be disappointed. Plus, you can't beat the reliability for the price.

xring
March 28, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'll admit that the slides are fat for caliber. I have Sigs, Colt's, S&W Classic wheelguns. I like my Glocks (19, 30SF) as well as the rest of them. Performance and reliability are everything to me. The older I get, the more I appreciate the light weight of the Glocks.

ForumSurfer
March 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
I don't like the grip angle, the Superman status, or plastic mags.

One more time...the mags aren't plastic. :) Hardened steel with a polymer outer shell. Nigh indestructible.

Truthfully I bashed them and hated them until I ran a gen4 hard. Now I have all of the gen4's in 9mm except the 17.

For all the same reasons, too. Grip angle, plastic...all that stuff smae as everyone else.

I never got the trigger bite thing, though. Even on days where I was lucky enough to shoot over 500 rounds...I never once have gotten trigger bite. Could be me, though. My hands are pretty rough.

o Unforgiven o
March 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
Here are my top three Glock dislikes.

1. Glock "Perfection".

2. Rabid Glock fans who believe in Glock "Perfection".

3. Glock threads like this.

ForumSurfer
March 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of that "Perfection" stuff, at all. It's one of the more annoying ad campaigns ever created.

March 28, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of that "Perfection" stuff, at all. It's one of the more annoying ad campaigns ever created.

Lexus is a little less arrogant with their "the relentless pursuit of perfection" ads since the implication is that they haven't attained it yet.

ForumSurfer
March 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Lexus is a little less arrogant with their "the relentless pursuit of perfection" ads since the implication is that they haven't attained it yet.

Especially since perfection is relative. If you like blued steel and fine hand-fitting, the glock is about as far from perfect as can be. I don't think they are anywhere near perfect and I own a few. ;)

When I do find the perfect gun, I can finally sell the rest!

brnmuenchow
March 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Really do not have anything against them but for all the hype they get and having shot several of them in my time I don't see how they are really any better than a Sig Sauer, or H&K.

Ruger Redhawk
March 28, 2012, 06:16 PM
I like the Glock's I have. They are ugly but they work. Proven all over the world.

pcf
March 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
Same weight recoil springs on Gen 3 platforms, it's not a good compromise.

I think the trigger spring and slide lock spring are weak points in the design. If either fails they will take the gun out of action.

I'd like Glock to produce a regular weight trigger spring in a NY trigger spring plastic body. Even if the spring failed the plastic body would still keep the gun in action.

Not sure about how to redesign the slide lock spring to keep the gun in action if the spring fails.

A larger radius on the trigger guard undercut. I have skinny fingers and it's bit small for my hands. I can really see how some people can get an unpleasant case of Glock knuckle.

paintballdude902
March 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
it just doesnt fit well in my hand.

glove
March 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
What's to hate. I like my gen. 3 G-26 :) I sold my G-19 because I could shoot the 26 better.:cool:

ORHunter79
March 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
Why so much hate. It's just a tool.

To be honest the only time I dislike a tool is when it doesn't function as advertised.

Glock doesn't fall into that category. If it we're a jamo-matic then I'd have a different opinion.

xXxplosive
March 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
After owning & shooting 1911's for ages I finally broke down and bought a 30SF....liked the idea of 10 + 1 of .45acp.....figured I should own one.

Well, IMO....the gun is made cheaply, nothing like a Series 70 Colt......the Glock magazines had to be loaded and stored for a week to relax the springs before I could load them up to capacity.....as far as I'm concerned.....nothing to talk about.....a poor man's gun at best.

tazbigdog
March 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
First time I held it in my hands was in 1985. Hated the feel and grip. Bought a Beretta 92FS. After many semi's later, I have two of these beauties and wouldn't change them for the world.

Fishbed77
March 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm somewhat ambivalent about Glocks.

At one point, they were innovative and inexpensive.

But their price has creeped up so much in the past few years that they don't really represent the value that they once did, and there are many better striker-fired polymer pistols on the market nowadays for the same money.

MyGreenGuns
March 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
These are all issues that can be "trained out" with a little trigger time... but since there are other options that fit me better and are just as good mechanically, why bother? Thankfully Glock is no longer the only decent, reliable striker-fire pistol design on the market.
^Well said.

When I was first shopping for a pistol, I was told Glock was the best. I tried every single flavor of Glock-kool-aid, but they all have the same feel. Point shooting went out the window, I have to tell myself to put the muzzle down.

I could have trained myself to accept this, or I could find a similar handgun that did not have this issue. My XD9 point-shoots very natually for me.

If I ever needed my sidearm for defense, I wouldnt want to miss the first shot because my adrenaline made me forget to aim a little lower.

jbkebert
March 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have owned two glocks. I really don't care for the way they fit my hand all that well. Other than that I want a gun with a exposed hammer. Striker fired pistols and hammerless wheelguns just lack something for me.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
Don't like Glocks now, never will like Glocks. They do not fit my hand at all and don't do anything I would want my XD to do.

ORHunter79
March 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
far as I'm concerned.....nothing to talk about.....a poor man's gun at best.

I love the 1911 as much as anyone else. But if something goes bump in the night I reach for my Glock cause I know it's not finicky.

Poor man's gun? Ok, I guess there are a lot of poor folks like me in the US. To me a poor mans gun would be more of a HiPoint at around $150.

At about $500 each it's damn expensive as far as I'm concerned.

I think it would be more accurate to call it a "functional man's type of gun".

No frills, no its not pretty, but it gets the job done reliably.

whalerman
March 29, 2012, 12:07 AM
People hated Glocks in the beginning because they use so much plastic and were chambered for the 9mm round. Now people hate them because they don't feel right, the trigger squeaks, the dog doesn't like them, whatever. I think the real reason the people who don't like them still don't like them is because they use so much plastic and were originally chambered for the 9mm round.

Sam Cade
March 29, 2012, 12:10 AM
But their price has creeped up so much in the past few years that they don't really represent the value that they once did,

Figuring for inflation, a base model Glock is cheaper now than it has ever been.

A G17 was $400 in 1987, in todays money that would be around $760.
You can buy G17s for $500 all day long now.

Sam Cade
March 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Don't like Glocks now, never will like Glocks. They do not fit my hand at all and don't do anything I would want my XD to do.

Like you, I can't cotton to the grip hump. I hate it.

Luckily, for about $20 you can just flat out FIX it.

http://gripforceproducts.com/images/xxx_gen_3_g19_-_gen_4_g19_025.jpg

whalerman
March 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
It is wasn't the hump, the trigger, the plastic, the barrel, the box it comes in, or how we spell Austria, it would be something else. I promise you. Its because it came out in 9mm and was made with lots of plastic. People made up their minds right there. I understand that and have no problem with it. I just wish people wouldn't make up other stuff to attempt to justify the fact that they hated it from the very beginning. Reason, 9mm and plastic,and perhaps because it completely dominated the US police market. People don't like that.

sedona
March 29, 2012, 12:52 AM
There are at least a couple of things i don't like about every brand of pistol i own including the glock.But it is easily the most reliable brand of any gun i own or have owned.

M1key
March 29, 2012, 01:19 AM
^^^agree

I've owned about all brands of them, but only Glock has what I want in a pistol: reliable, durable, multiple calibers to choose from, simple to service, interchangeable parts, etc.

In my world pistols are only a sidearm, not a status symbol.

M

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
People hated Glocks in the beginning because they use so much plastic and were chambered for the 9mm round. Now people hate them because they don't feel right, the trigger squeaks, the dog doesn't like them, whatever. I think the real reason the people who don't like them still don't like them is because they use so much plastic and were originally chambered for the 9mm round.

Or maybe the grip isn't natural for me? I have a XD-40 on my hip right now and I came from a 9mm and it wasn't caliber that was the deciding factor. I just don't like Glocks. When I was really starting to get into shooting, I though Glocks were the coolest pistols ever and I lusted after a Glock 17. I liked them until I shot one, then I realized how the grip just doesn't work for me and decided that it's not the pistol for me.

Like you, I can't cotton to the grip hump. I hate it.

Luckily, for about $20 you can just flat out FIX it.

I would rather start with something that feels right in the first place then have to get something extra to make it feel right.

kozak6
March 29, 2012, 04:47 AM
Sam Cade, what are those $20 beavertail things? I am intrigued.

Between the beavertail thing and a Hogue grip sleeve, I might suddenly find a Glock ownable.

Prosser
March 29, 2012, 05:31 AM
If you shoot a 34 or 35 and tell me you hate glocks, then you hate guns.

I can't believe I'm defending these over priced pieces of tupperware.

The average glock should be sold for 200 dollars. I figure looking at Glock's financials that would be only a 200% markup from production, Instead of 2000%.

Frankly they bought themselves into the market by selling at or below cost to LEO's, which puts the price of the gun under 150 dollars.

That said, the awful trigger, poor sites are gone on the 34 and 35, and they actually point and shoot VERY well.

For a DA only gun, with really no safety they have excellent triggers after the first shot, and even the first shot isn't bad.

Parts are VERY cheap and easy to replace. Easy gun to customize.

At the end of the day they are still Glocks, even if you have 1500 dollars in one.

meanmrmustard
March 29, 2012, 07:30 AM
I even got hate emails for posting what I said. People are very much against plastic and 9mm. It makes them act in strange ways.
Love 9mm, hate plastic.

Don't care what number is behind the G in it's name, Glocks don't like me.

Hangingrock
March 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
The aesthetics of a mechanical item is of little relevance as opposed to functionality. For those that don’t like Glocks there are other choices. Choose carefully. Smith&Wesson basically required the 3rd rendition of a polymer frame striker fired pistol to be come competitive with Glock.

wildehond
March 29, 2012, 09:10 AM
I normally stay away from these threads, but

A Glock handgun is not a 1911, sig, S&W, CZ or what ever else and it never pretended to be. It is what it is. I have found it the pistol that is the easiest to use in the CCW and general tactical style weapon. It is not a target shooting pistol. It never tried to be, although I have seen people make some amazing shots with it though.

I shoot the Glock the best in this environment and it is very easy to live with and carry each day.

4v50 Gary
March 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
I have a Glock, but I'm no Glock fan. Recently I discovered another virtue of the Glock. It is the easiest semi-automatic pistol for anyone to pull the slide back on. As guys, we don't think twice about racking it back (tap, rack, ready). Pax (Cornered Cat) teaches women how to do it and most young women can. Now, take a seventy something grandmother and she may not be able to rack the 1911, Sig Sauer, S&W, Beretta, CZ, etc but she can the Glock.

Conclusion? Glocks are for grannies :p (and anyone else who likes them).

bikerdoc
March 29, 2012, 09:47 AM
I normally stay away from these threads, but

ME TOO....

Buy and use what you like, it is your hard earned money.

Just get real good with your choice and keep it clean. As for what other people say about your choice = "hey, when you pay my bills you can have an opinion"

Walking Dead
March 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
They are totally rediculous and I'm sure they will be out of business soon. I don't think anybody even buys them. No police departments or military's have adopted them, they do horrible in compititions terribly unreliable and the aftermarket won't even make parts for them. Any other company would be stupid to try and copy such a dumb design so I'm sure everybody else is busy doing their own thing.

jackpinesavages
March 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
Found a real deal on a 23 for a HD piece. Did not ever like the recoil of that pistol compared to the S&W 40c. Then, a buddy of mine showed interest in it for his father to buy, and I sold it. Never took the time to look into different RSAs, etc..

Trained extensively with the G17s at Academy, and that was it; extensive shooting drills get you over the hump of appearances and their functionality just plain shines. I don't feel a need to farkle em up with expensive doo-dads or whizz bangers or slide treatments. Yes, my wife actually enjoys shooting them and now that Sam brings it up, perhaps it's the ease of slide operation.

I think that may be the crux of the haters: appearance and overall feel in hand, just plain holding it at the LGS counter. Draw, fire, reload, and holster 10-20 times and it's still one of the best options out there for under $600 tools.

And, an afterpoint/counter-point: the Glock haters move on to something else, buy it, and then realize they cannot readily find a holster, RSAs, or replacement sights, or conversion barrels.

WinThePennant
March 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
The aftermarket products is one of the big positives to Glock.

Sig is just awful about their aftermarket products for the P250. Conversion kits remain expensive, and available holsters are probably fewer than 5.

Glock? I'm like a kid in a candy store with all the options. And, the Glock mags are available in 9mm carbines such as the Kel-Tec Sub2K.

Buy a Glock, and don't look back. Even the things you "hate" about it can almost certainly be modified with an aftermarket part.

armarsh
March 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
I just wish they fixed the trigger.

It's a shame too many other manufacturers copied Glocks trigger and also put the drop safeties outside the frame on the trigger. :banghead:

The safety on the trigger is a trigger safety. The drop safety is called the firing pin safety and it is in the slide.

Here is an interactive animation. The firing pin safety is part number nine. if you mouse over the firing pin safety you can see how it works: http://www.glockworld.com/Content.aspx?cKey=Glock_Parts_Diagram_Topglock

mgmorden
March 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
Most of my dislikes about the Glock are fixable.

- The stock mag release on most models is a little too low, but there are Glock and aftermarket extended ones.
- The stock sights SUCK. That's the case with most factory pistols though, so no harm there.
- I hate polygonal rifling as I shoot a lot of lead - aftermarket barrels fix this though.
- I don't like finger grooves. My Glock is a Gen 2 so it thankfully doesn't have them.
- I don't like the grip angle. I can shoot it ok and I adjust, but as soon as I pickup a grip angled more "American" angled grip again I realize how much more I prefer that one :). This is fixable with the replacable backstraps in Gen 4, but then you have to get those finger grooves I don't like :).

Overall though they're accurate and reliable. Often available on the surplus market for good prices too. I have no issues with the polymer frame or lack of manual safety, and I think their stock triggers are pretty good. I do think that if buying new there are better values on the market that are just as reliable and accurate though.

Inebriated
March 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
^You can remove the finger grooves and still leave it looking nice. Takes a whole stippling job to really clean it up, but it can be done. Maybe something to look into, if you think the new grip angle and mag release are worth the effort.

HOOfan_1
March 29, 2012, 11:38 AM
Why waste time discussing guns that you don't like, when you can use that time to talk about the ones which you do like?

Sam Cade
March 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sam Cade, what are those $20 beavertail things? I am intrigued.

Grip adaptors. Best idea ever.

http://gripforceproducts.com/

mgmorden
March 29, 2012, 02:47 PM
^You can remove the finger grooves and still leave it looking nice. Takes a whole stippling job to really clean it up, but it can be done. Maybe something to look into, if you think the new grip angle and mag release are worth the effort.

Yes, but I'm typically against doing any modifications to a gun that are irreversible. Most everything else is a part-swap that can be reversed if needed :).

Prosser
March 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
Despite the hate email it was worth posting and reading just for the animation of the Glock posted above. THANK YOU!

HoosierQ
March 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
Kind of a tired old thread really.

I neither dislike Glocks nor am I a fan boy. I have 3 and, right now, they are the only semiautomatic pistols I own. I don't collect or sure, I'd have other types. Is it as cool as an HK P7...no way. As beautiful as a nice custom 1911...no way. As classy as a deep blue and walnut High Power...nope. As full of character as a time worn, well-patina'd GI Colt? Uh Uh. Easier to deal with than any of the above...well, for most people probably so.

A Glock is, as RCModel says, a bit of souless tool but that's just because that's what it is...a rough and ready tool that work reliably, is easy to use, easy to clean, easy enough to carry (G17), easy to operate, and easy to buy...pretty much $500 and change out the door everywhere.

It's not pretty, it's not perfect, but on balance, it does everything it is supposed to do as well as the competion (both cross platform and other similar polymer/striker guns).

danez71
March 29, 2012, 06:44 PM
The safety on the trigger is a trigger safety. The drop safety is called the firing pin safety and it is in the slide.

Actually, just to keep things less confusing for people like me...... the drop safety is called "Drop Safety" on this page that also has interacted animation.

Its on this page on the offical glock website as opposed to the glockworld website.

http://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

Inebriated
March 29, 2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, but I'm typically against doing any modifications to a gun that are irreversible. Most everything else is a part-swap that can be reversed if needed .

Fair enough!

jad0110
March 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
Glocks are certainly a viable option among the many other worthy handguns; IMHO they are no better or worse than dozens of other options out there.

But they aren't for me:

- Polymer pistols just aren't my thing (never warmed up to the way the feel under recoil), but I understand why people like them.

- I reload with lead ammo, so that's a deal breaker by itself.

- I also don't like the feel of the "dingle berry" trigger safety. Actually I find it rather annoying. Same goes for the XD (great gun as well, just not for me).

- The biggie though is the ergonomics, which seem to be more hit or miss with the Glock than many other options. It's not the grip angle necessarily, it is the shape and size of the grip frame. It just feels flat wrong to me, and I'm 6'7" tall with rather large hands. It's like I need an extra set of joints in my fingers to grip it properly. Exactly the opposite of what a handgun should feel like, to me. Plus the finger grooves are in the wrong place (I know, they could be removed).

- Trigger feel isn't my preferred deal either (gritty and mushy) - granted, that can be improved but given the above, they just aren't for me.

- Minor gripe: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I woudn't say Glocks are horrendously ugly, but they aren't pretty to my eye either. They look more vanilla or "blah" than anything, kinda like a mid 1990s Corolla.

- Minor gripe: the "Perfection" slogan is false advertising. If it was perfect, everyone would love it, it would never ever malfunction, run out of ammo, it would be able to shoot lead ammo, it would be self cleaning ... :p

Still a great choice, but like every single handgun out there, they aren't for everyone.

sgtstryker
March 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
I won't call myself a fanboy of Glocks, but I like 'em. I have two 1911's, my first ever pistol was a Colt 1911 Govt. Model. I have several Glocks now, didn't plan on it, it just happened. Really tried to like the 21 but the grip is too big, haven't tried the Gen 4 stuff, don't need to, the G36 is just right. I sold a G17,Gen 2 and got a Gen 3 for the rail. I like it. It's just a very simple firearm for me to use, mine shoot great. Personally..if I had to pick a pistol to take out of a box, new, and feel confident it would shoot, it would be a Glock. Still a proud owner of a Colt Combat Comm. and Kimber Custom II.

Prosser
March 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
My major objection is price. If I could find a 34 or 35 that someone had worked a bit, for around 500 I'd be happy with that. But paying 560 or so for a Glock, then having to do a trigger, new barrel, etc. just doesn't provide me with much sense of value.
Too many other guns I'd rather have in that price range.

hAkron
March 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
I shot my Glock 17 for the first time in a few months today. I don't have a bad thing to say about the felt recoil, grip profile, accuracy, or trigger. I'm really much more of a CZ guy these days, but I really do like my Gen 3 Glock 17.

ORHunter79
March 29, 2012, 10:55 PM
A Glock is, as RCModel says, a bit of souless tool but that's just because that's what it is...a rough and ready tool that work reliably, is easy to use, easy to clean, easy enough to carry (G17), easy to operate, and easy to buy...

Well put. I think that's what draws me this pistol. It's like an old farm dog that needs little attention, little maintenance, but you're damn sure glad it's there when you bump into a critter than can end your life. That's when you realize that this "old ugly dog" is worth it's weight in gold. It jumps into action, no questions asked, and does the job it was intended to do.

Again, it's a tool that performs like its supposed to, period.

If I want to admire something, it won't be my custom 1911, it'll be my kids because I'm alive.

CZguy
March 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Quote:

Yes, but I'm typically against doing any modifications to a gun that are irreversible. Most everything else is a part-swap that can be reversed if needed .

I think that it's OK to modify in this case. I've never met anyone whose hands fit those finger groves.

Bigpun
March 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
I love the gen 3 glocks not a fan of the gen 4 they are reliable and can take a ton of abuse and still fire you can feed them any ammo and they will fire every time.

theQman23
March 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
Though the triggers certainly aren't 1911 standards, (nor are the cosmetics.......) the only thing I can say I DISLIKE about the glocks are the humps on the backstraps. I have 2 gen 3 models and I pie-cut the rears on both sides of both of them and plati-welded the backstraps back down flat to the side grips. This of course left ears hanging out that I sanded off, and then, because the guns were even uglier than when I bought them, I did some stippling jobs to make the grips look uniformed again.

Now that they "point naturally" for me, I have fallen back in love with them again. 1911's are the trophy wives that need eternal care and maintenance, glocks are the homely chicks that everyone loves to handle when their friends aren't looking

Inebriated
March 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
I think that it's OK to modify in this case. I've never met anyone whose hands fit those finger groves.

You've met one now... My Gen 4's fit my my hand great. A little bit of grinding where the trigger guard meets the grip is all I need.

amd6547
March 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
I hear a lot of criticism of the Glock finger grooves. I myself would love to stumble into a good deal on a gen 1 G17.
But, the grooves don't bother me at all. When I grab my gen 3 G17, I don't notice the grooves at all.
I grew up shooting 1911's and had a particular affinity for the HiPower. I also love older S&W K frames, so I get the steel and wood fetish. But I love my Glocks.
I got converted by a g30. I was looking for a compact 1911, but research showed more problems with them. After trying a G30, I found I shot it as well as a full sized semi custom 1911...with 10 or 13 rounds in the mag, and zero jams using any ammo I tried.
Add in the cheap, reliable mags, and the huge aftermarket support, and I was sold.
I just sold my last HiPower, a 1973 carry gun. My G17 fits my 9mm needs better in full size, and my G26 carries better. In fact, the G26 is my favorite of all Glocks.
If people don't like them, or prefer brand x or y, I don't care. I use what is right for me...and that is Glock.

mgmorden
March 30, 2012, 10:04 AM

A lot of shooting sports don't allow such modifications in their "stock" divisions though. Doing an irreversible mod not only makes the gun non-legal in those divisions - it ensures that it can never be made so again. If I put in a Lone Wolf barrel to shoot lead for practice then it's a 2 minute swap back to the factory barrel if I want to shoot GSSF. Grind off the finger grooves though and there's no going back ;).

atomd
March 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
Every couple of years I seem to go back to Glock and then sell it off for something else. The cheap mags and aftermarket support are a huge bonus and they are about the easiest gun to take apart and modify. I think these days I am really picky about pistols and there's always something I don't like about pretty much any gun I own/owned (except for my dw 1911).

I think that there's a lot of good polymer 9mms out there. I like the XD/m, FNP, M&P, CZ, Walther PPQ, etc. There's always one thing I don't like about them so I end up getting rid of them and then want to buy them again later because I miss one aspect of them. I think that each gun one of these and Glock has positives and negatives. Nothing's perfect I guess.

Fiv3r
March 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Neat, a thread about not liking Glocks:) Obviously it takes 20+ years to air our grievances with these stupid fad-plastic pistols. Once this thread finally gets locked up, why don't we start one about the ills/virtues of Chevy/Ford or maybe debate the finer points of Harley Davidson and Honda motorcycles. Com'on, it'll be novel fun:)

In all seriousness, I really, really, really love my Glock 21. It's not "perfection". It's not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. It's probably not a gun my grandkids are going to oo and ah over when I'm dust. It's about as flashy as a hammer.

It does nothing for me on the intangible level of something being "pretty". However, I am not at a point in my life where I can afford "pretty". I can't justify a $900-$1500 1911 in order to get a reliable .45 that looks "nice". I don't shoot any better with the crisper single action trigger than on the half-cocked double/single action Glock hybrid. I did not grow up shooting my granddad's old .45 he carried through the trenches during WWII (because he never had one. He was a Navy man on the big guns). I have no born loyalty to any brand, model, or manufacture style. Basically, I just shoot what I like:)

What my Glock does is work every time. No flash, no doodads, no frills. It's a cold utility piece that fires anything I feed it. It strips down with no tools. It seems to break in instead of breaking down. It gives me a 13+1 capacity of 230gr for any bump in the night that may stir me from my sleep. It's a near maintenance-free companion in the woods, always at the ready. Any dings, scratches or knocks do not pang my heart. I am always careful with my tools, but I feel no more regret for an earnestly earned mar than I do when I nick a screwdriver or socket wrench.

Glocks are reliable, dependable tools. They AREN'T perfect. There ARE better options out there for other people. For me, they just plain work. I shoot them well, I like the style of safeties they offer, and I like their price-point. If Glocks aren't for you, that is totally fine. Buy what you like, shoot often, and live well. We're all shooters here, and it shouldn't matter if your gun is made from steel or polymer. These stupid fanboys vs old-boys clubs are incredibly grating to me.

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
You've met one now... My Gen 4's fit my my hand great. A little bit of grinding where the trigger guard meets the grip is all I need.
+1 Fit my hand too .. and my wife's hand and we have several Glocks with finger grooves. Thing is, it's just not human nature to rant about what works for you.

11:08 AM. I just asked my wife did she prefer the Gen2 17 with no finger groves or the Gen3 23 with finger grooves. Her response, "What grooves?".

Inebriated
March 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
11:08 AM. I just asked my wife did she prefer the Gen2 17 with no finger groves or the Gen3 23 with finger grooves. Her response, "What grooves?".

Hahaha, that's great.

CountryUgly
March 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hate the grip width and angle and not to mention it's just not fun to look at. Everytime I go to the LGS I always get the Glocks and Hi-points confused while I'm glancing in the cases. Ha, take that Grock fans....lol.....

mdauben
March 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
I find that the grip is to fat, it's made out of plastic, :neener: and it looks ugly as :cuss:. Most the guys I know like it. Anyone else as radical as I? :rolleyes:
All true, but they are also relativly inexpensive, acceptably accurate, easy to use, and generally very reliable. All of these count for much more to me. Not that you are wrong for not liking the Glock, that's why there are so many guns, so there is something for almost everyone. :D

CZguy
March 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hate the grip width and angle and not to mention it's just not fun to look at. Everytime I go to the LGS I always get the Glocks and Hi-points confused while I'm glancing in the cases. Ha, take that Grock fans....lol.....

Wow, I wouldn't slam a door that hard.

theQman23
March 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
or maybe debate the finer points of Harley Davidson and Honda motorcycles

there are more American made parts on a Honda Gold Wing than there are on a Harley Davidson Road King...............

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hahaha, that's great.
And it's true too. I didn't read it in a gun rag, in a post on the internet or get it third hand from a buddy of a buddy whose says he thinks he heard my wife's friend say she thought she heard her say it.

The second thing she said was, "What are you talking about?" followed by, "I don't care I guess". And she's an accomplished shooter too, not some semi annual 25 round shooter who thinks bullets are the same as cartridges.

gmh1013
March 31, 2012, 10:07 PM
I hate the grip angle
I hate the plastic
I hate that in .40 its waaayyy to light and I cant hit the side of a barn with one
its to light in 9mm also.
did I mention butt ugly too
Its also embedded in hip hop culture which that alone would cause me not to buy one.
When I hear people talk about how great they are I just roll my eyes....

Pilot
April 1, 2012, 06:57 AM
I don't own any Glocks, and I've been shooting for over 35 years, so I have had my chance to buy many. However, I do like their low bore axis, and the grip angle is fine if you spend a few minutes with it. I've shot my share, and can say they work fine, are accurate if you do your part, and seem to be rugged, and reliable. The trigger is fine, and if you don't like it you can have it lightened, and smoothed up.

It's just another choice of gun. If you don't like it, buy something else.

allaroundhunter
April 1, 2012, 07:19 AM
I hear a lot of criticism of the Glock finger grooves. I myself would love to stumble into a good deal on a gen 1 G17.

Gen 2 Glocks also do not have finger grooves, nor a rail.

whalerman
April 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
I hate 'em too. They started out in 9mm and were made with lots of plastic. Did I mention they weren't .45acp, at first.

baylorattorney
April 1, 2012, 09:08 AM
I dislike them, but like them for what they have accomplished for good gunners of the world.

wheelyfun66
April 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/spec4towle/021.jpg
Perfection! :evil:

FruitCake
April 1, 2012, 10:44 PM
If the grips were thinner and that square trigger guard was not so square I would actually love the glocks. Besides the thickness they are not so bad

whalerman
April 2, 2012, 02:41 AM
I don't like the fact that they're black. And those little dimples, I hate them too. I had dimples when I was a kid and I remember the ribbing I took. Dimples are just not fun to look at.

Does ya see a pattern here?

And souless? Is that really what we said about Glocks? I don't think any of my guns have souls. My dogs do. My loved ones do. But don't you think were going a bit off the end of the dock?

So many take this hatred so seriously. I have one guy who sends me spam email, complete with profanities, every time I defend Glocks. Little Man, it just isn't worth it.

I only have one, but I sure don't understand the hatred.

wlewisiii
April 2, 2012, 02:52 AM
For me it's simple enough - I find that I need to buy two parts (NY1 & a 3.5 connector) to make the trigger behave decently. The stock trigger belongs on a Mauser rifle.

mes228
April 2, 2012, 07:52 AM
The many Glock's I've owned all WORKED. And that's the bottom line. The only thing that really means anything in a pistol is "will it work if I need it to work". Most all pistols are acceptably accurate, most all calibers are weak compared to long guns, etc.etc. The 3 Glocks I have kept have fired well over 10K rounds (that's a VERY conservative estimate) with out a malfunction of any kind. That means a lot to me personally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock dislikes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!