some odd 38 spec?

PDA

Blade&Bullet94
March 28, 2012, 01:38 AM
hey everyone. so i got a boxfull of misc cartridges from my boss at the local gunshop while i was cleaning the backroom, since he knows i collect different cartridges. in the box was a bag of what i believe are handloaded 38 specials, because the bullets are the same and cast but the brass varies. anyway there are a handful of different ones, of two kinds, that im not sure on. some seem to have a black plastic concave cap, the others have a cardboard/paper cap. id like to know what they are, and if theyr safe to shoot.

*EDIT* i took apart one of the paper capped ones, under the cap was a balled up piece of tissue paper sealed with wax, and a powder charge, so i think its safe to say the paper ones are blanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "some odd 38 spec?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
March 28, 2012, 01:43 AM
I would not shoot any reloads where I know nothing about the reloader or the loads themselves. It's just not worth it to me, too many things can go wrong...

Blade&Bullet94
March 28, 2012, 03:04 AM
yeah, i didnt want to risk it unless someone here assured me it would be alright.

JLDickmon
March 28, 2012, 03:12 AM
I remember Herters selling plastic wadcutters way back when.. Being reloads, I'd put them on the shelf and keep them there.

Or do them the ultimate kindness.. and pull the bullets & powder..

Blade&Bullet94
March 28, 2012, 03:41 AM
would do that, bullets seem fine and the primers could be good, but i dont have a puller lol... just getting started reloading, so dont have the extra equipment, if i screw up it goes into a box for a later day

evan price
March 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
Speer made primer-powered rubber bullets for indoor plinking. IN theory they could just be picked up and reused. No powder, primer only. They look a lot like those black plastic things.

kingmt
March 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
I would put them in the some day box.

joneb
March 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
The cardboard cap ones might be shot shells, I have made these with a cardboard wad over the powder and a wad over the shot.

Blade&Bullet94
April 2, 2012, 10:12 PM
ok, finnaly got a bullet puller hammer. the paper caps are blanks, and the black caps are a type of shotshell theyr made up of 3 rubber cups, one over the powder, then two forming a pod for shot

If you enjoyed reading about "some odd 38 spec?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!