Dumped my other calibers for rimfire

PDA

gfanikf
March 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Now let me preface this by saying while I live in PA, I work in NY and commute via NJT. I spend most of my time in places where not only would a PA LTCF not be recognized, it's nigh on impossible to get guns and certainly a carry permit if you live there (I looked into it when in Brooklyn before moving back to PA....yeah wasn't going to work). What I'm getting at is I don't carry (besides going to range and back) and unless I take some classes I just don't feel comfortable doing so (or had a gun for that purpose...and spent money on a proper holster and related goods).

My wife and I also welcomed are first daughter earlier this year. For me despite not shooting as much (from just having a child) the costs of .45 ACP and 223 where just getting to be much for what I used at each range trip or two. So I decided to give a New Ruger Single Six a try and wound up loving it. So I dumped my Mini-14 (shockingly for more than I paid) and got an M4 22lr (which for me has the feel of an M4, but not nearly the cost).

I just love that I can get 500 rounds of Federal 22 (each in small boxes) for ~20-25 bucks. I found it's also a lot easier to work on my aim. I've made an exception that anything that is surplus ammo friendly would also be allowed (why I'm still thinking of a Tokarov for something heavier than just 22lr). I just figured it's a great way to work on fundamental aim and handling and not hurt my wallet or be at the mercy of (even natural) price increases to the degree I would with other firearms and "shoot all day"...well at least until a slidefire is made for 22 stocks (like the Ruger 10/22 though I really don't want to fall pray to "tacticooling" one too much).

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumped my other calibers for rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
youngda9
March 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
I hope you kept something centerfire for HD.

I would move if I were you, but that's me.

gfanikf
March 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
I hope you kept something centerfire for HD.

I would move if I were you, but that's me.
Currently I don't have anything centerfire. I'm looking into something C&R, especially the Tokarov as it's like a 1903 and surplus ammo exists. One thing is cleaning a handgun after corrosive ammo is a lot less work than a full sized rifle.

I am looking for work closer home, but the commute is mostly sitting on a train so I can't complain as I get to read a lot.

That said while not optimal, 22lr can still function for HD. I mean the M4 one would help with volume making up for caliber.

David E
March 28, 2012, 01:17 PM
I have rediscovered .22's and enjoy shooting them for reasons similar to yours. I have a Nordic Components .22 upper with a 1x3 Weaver on it. At the range, I can shoot the 100 yd Steel IPSC target 3 times before the sound from the first hit is heard: BangBangBang/DingDingDing! Kinda cool.

But I'd never divest myself of all centerfire.

Teachu2
March 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
That said while not optimal, 22lr can still function for HD. I mean the M4 one would help with volume making up for caliber.

There's a headline - "HOMEOWNER SHOOTS INTRUDER 17 TIMES"....

R.W.Dale
March 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
Don't bank on finding any of the recently dried up 7.62x25 ammo

posted via mobile device.

Ryanxia
March 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'd never give up my centerfires but ya I love shooting all afternoon and only spending $10. :D

gfanikf
March 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
I have rediscovered .22's and enjoy shooting them for reasons similar to yours. I have a Nordic Components .22 upper with a 1x3 Weaver on it. At the range, I can shoot the 100 yd Steel IPSC target 3 times before the sound from the first hit is heard: BangBangBang/DingDingDing! Kinda cool.
Cool, I'd love to find a place to shot around me with steel target setups (as backyard isn't an option for me)

But I'd never divest myself of all centerfire.

I don't plan to, but at the same time I really just don't know where to go in terms of cheap ammo and firearms.

There's a headline - "HOMEOWNER SHOOTS INTRUDER 17 TIMES"....

...NEEDS ICEPACK FOR FINGER
or
...SUSPECT TO BE ARRAIGNED AFTER BRIEF OBSERVATION IN HOSPITAL
or...sadly...
WITH AK-47!

Don't bank on finding any of the recently dried up 7.62x25 ammo

Really? I was under the impression that it was still pretty easy and cheap to find as opposed to say Makarov ammo for which no surplus ammo can be found.

allaroundhunter
March 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Really? I was under the impression that it was still pretty easy and cheap to find as opposed to say Makarov ammo for which no surplus ammo can be found.

Negative....9mm ammo is still fairly reasonably priced though and easy to find.

parsimonious_instead
March 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
JG Sales, which usually has 7.62x25 surplus seems to have only new manufacture ammo.
SOG (Southern Ohio Guns) has Bulgarian Tok ammo for about 3.00 for a box of 16.
According to ammoseek.com, a few vendors seem to have 9x19 Brown Bear and Tula for approx 9.00 a box, not including shipping.

1KPerDay
March 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
Almost all my range time lately is rimfire. They are just so much fun. Plus with my 22/45 and an ultimate cliploader (TM) I can go through a brick by myself in a surprisingly short time. LOL :D

I save my centerfire ammo mostly for local competitions and stuff now.

jdietz
March 28, 2012, 02:08 PM
The .22 is not the best for HD but is still better than nothing.

The ONLY firearms related death I have ever seen was a single round from a .22 bolt action rifle.

On the other hand while working at the hospital I saw 3 gunshot victims that had been shot with .38 & .40 that survived. One shot at almost direct contact.

Placement, placement, placement!

Certaindeaf
March 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
I think it'd be kind of silly to have died with seventeen rimfires and a billion rounds of ammo when a box of fifty premium centerfire, a well chosen weapon, and the skill to use them may well have made all the difference.

gfanikf
March 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
I think it'd be kind of silly to have died with seventeen rimfires and a billion rounds of ammo when a box of fifty premium centerfire, a well chosen weapon, and the skill to use them may well have made all the difference.
Well in this case I'm working on the skill so I can find a centerfire one I want to go back into.

Seattleimport
March 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm with you, gfanik. I shoot for skill and shoot for fun, so 9mm and .22 are what I shoot. Well, and .38 when I'm in a revolver sort of mood.

Point being: bullets cost money. Most in-city ranges charge premium membership for access to rifle caliber lanes. If switching to .22 means you get to shoot more often, then that's a win.

Carl Levitian
March 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
My better half and I are in the same boat. Just can't afford to shoot center fire much anymore. Living on our social security and price of gas giving us a pay cut in our retirement, .22's are it. It's okay, I met my wife at a shooting range, and the fact that we were both shooting S&W .22 revolvers made for a conversation point. Now, 42 years later, we're happy with rim fires. I have an old S&W .38 revolver from my days on a police department, and Karen has her dad's old .38 revolver that he came home from the war with. But we hardly ever shoot them.

But now that we're retired we go shooting twice a week. A bulk box of Federals is still doable, so we manage to use up 1500 to 2000 rounds a month. I hate to think what that would cost us in .38 or 9mm. Plus we shoot for fun, targets and plinking. If something goes bump in the night, at least my wife and I will be grabbing guns that we used only the day before yesterday. My 617 will give me 10 shots, Kartens J frame is another 8. Then there's the Reminton speed master with another 15 in it. Split between two people who have been shooting for over a half century apiece. I think we could make an intruder uncomfortable.

floydster
March 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Like Arnie says, " you'll be back":)

StrutStopper
March 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
I love my 22/45. I can shoot all morning on the cheap and then break out the centerfire stuff but don't feel the need to put a high round count through them.

mberoose
March 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
.22s have taught me more about shooting than anything else out there.

Respek knuckles.

Eric M
March 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
If you want a cheap centerfire I think 5.45 is the way to go.

JFrame
March 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm on record as saying that my favorite firearm to shoot is a T/C Contender with a 14" .22 LR match barrel. After 30 rounds, I'm pretty much done for a range session, except maybe to burn off a few cylinders-full of .38 or something like that... :D

Although I don't see myself relinquishing my centerfires anytime soon, I can appreciate what the OP is going for. Over the decades, I've made a point of acquiring .22 LR firearms of various configurations (full-size revolvers, full-size semiauto, pocket semiauto, lever-action rifle, semiauto rifle, mini-revolver, etc.). If push ever came to shove financially, I can still pretty much enjoy the gamut of shooting experiences for a few pennies per round...

fallout mike
March 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
I concur with eric m

bigfinger76
March 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
I can dig it.
I've been caught up for years in worrying about caliber/gauge. I've got what I wanted now, and then lo and behold...I found my grandfather's old Remington 33.
SO much fun to shoot, and so cheap. I love it.

22-rimfire
March 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't blame you a bit and love the lowly 22LR. I have no particular problem using a 22 for self defense purposes even though I don't recommend them without saying something a little more powerful is better for this purpose.

I don't sell much. I just park them for a while and I come around to shooting them again. I do like Mini-14's for general purposes. Even though I don't shoot one much, I still keep about 1000 rounds of 223 around in case I feel the urge.

happygeek
March 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
Currently I don't have anything centerfire. I'm looking into something C&R, especially the Tokarov as it's like a 1903 and surplus ammo exists. One thing is cleaning a handgun after corrosive ammo is a lot less work than a full sized rifle.

Have you looked at the CZ 82? I got everything in the picture for $200 ($240 to my front door with shipping) from Wideners recently. The one I got was made in 1985; if I'm not mistaken Czechoslovakia only made the CZ 82s in the 1980s. 12 round mags, decent sights, manual safety that's 1911 like, and not a bad trigger at all IMHO. You can find 9x18mm ammo for it online no problem at $10 per box of 50, and my local bulk ammo store carries it by the case.

I know what you mean about 22LR! Probably 95% + of the shooting I do off duty when I'm paying for the ammo is 22LR.

joeq
March 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
I like my rimfires as much as the next guy, they won't be replacing my centerfires though. I really don't find 9mm too expensive to target shoot with.

gfanikf
March 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
Have you looked at the CZ 82? I got everything in the picture for $200 ($240 to my front door with shipping) from Wideners recently. The one I got was made in 1985; if I'm not mistaken Czechoslovakia only made the CZ 82s in the 1980s. 12 round mags, decent sights, manual safety that's 1911 like, and not a bad trigger at all IMHO. You can find 9x18mm ammo for it online no problem at $10 per box of 50, and my local bulk ammo store carries it by the case.

I know what you mean about 22LR! Probably 95% + of the shooting I do off duty when I'm paying for the ammo is 22LR.

You know I've been thinking a lot about that since getting my C&R. I actually have about $400 left over in the fun money pile from selling my junk and older guns. I was thinking of something else rimfire, but with a CZ-82 I can get the gun and 500 or 1000 rounds of ammo and some Hornaday Critical Defense rounds from SGAmmo. The best part is unlike all the guns I've had before I assume CZ designed the 82 with steel ammo in mind. Its very tempting.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mac66
March 29, 2012, 08:59 AM
Consider going to an Appleseed. Excellent instruction and you can use your 22. Good way to build confidence and competence in your shooting skills. When the time comes the skills are easily translated to center fire. It is also a lot of fun.

Not sure where you are in PA but there are a bunch in your state.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=PA&statename=Pennsylvania

callenlee
March 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
I second the CZ82. I got one from wideners about a month ago (i live about an hour away so just drove to pick it up...saved shipping and an extra ffl transfer fee). It is currently my favorite gun.

gfanikf
March 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the Appleseed rec and everyone else for the positive feedback and support. It's nice to know I'm not alone in shooting only or majority 22lr.

Oh regarding CZ-82s I started a seperate thread.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=651928

TX1911fan
March 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
I just read in America's First Freedom that an older woman killed an intruder with a .22LR to the chest. If that's all you have, it will work. MOST home invaders are not crazed maniacs on PCP and I don't care who you are, getting shot with a .22 will HURT. It will make them think twice. Getting shot 10 times? Even more so. Have fun with the M4.

hardluk1
March 29, 2012, 01:07 PM
Seems many of us start with a .22 and come back to them later in life. Just simply enjoyable and can be very accurate too.

BCRider
March 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
Gfanikf, you sure won't get any disagreement on the joys of .22rimfire from me. I discovered .22 early on and at this point I'd say that darn near half my collection is .22LR in both handguns and rifles. I doubt that I go to any range session without at least a couple of them unless it's a match day for center fire guns only.

For your center fire fun if you're not reloading why not use some of your current "play money" to get yourself a reloading setup? With care it's possible and practical to reload even 9mm and .38Spl for about 2/3's of what you can buy it for even at the cheapest. And with the other calibers the price to reload falls to half or even less depending on the ammo.

SimplyChad
March 29, 2012, 02:05 PM
I bet that would be a insane defence when the DA comes calling. "You shot the intruder 17 time before stopping, is that true Mr. G?"
"Yes we ammo made for rats"
I would love to be a fly on that wall.

gfanikf
March 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
For your center fire fun if you're not reloading why not use some of your current "play money" to get yourself a reloading setup? With care it's possible and practical to reload even 9mm and .38Spl for about 2/3's of what you can buy it for even at the cheapest. And with the other calibers the price to reload falls to half or even less depending on the ammo.
Wife doesn't want me reloading till we move and I have a basement/garage to work in. Currently in a nice sized, but one level condo (also present potential lease issues). I really do want reload eventually so I can still do something guns even when not at the range. For the moment I'm just reading reloading manuals and watching youtube videos to build up a knowledge base.

I bet that would be a insane defence when the DA comes calling. "You shot the intruder 17 time before stopping, is that true Mr. G?"
"Yes we ammo made for rats"
I would love to be a fly on that wall.
In PA the DA wouldn't be calling if the person was breaking into my house. :)

intercooler
March 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
I always find these kind of amusing. Nobody wants to stand in front of 1,2...10 .22LR! I know I don't!

Nothing wrong with .22 even for defense. You will hit your target! I would feel just find with my 22A. Load it up with these and you are good to go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogMbj07emc

allaroundhunter
March 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
I always find these kind of amusing. Nobody wants to stand in front of 1,2...10 .22LR! I know I don't!

Just because it will kill me (or a threat) eventually doesn't mean it will stop me (or a threat) immediately.....

The point of a defensive weapon is not to kill. It is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. There is no arguing that a .22 is not as well suited for this as other calibers, but if it is what you have, by all means, use it! However, using the above argument is showing that the point of self defense is misunderstood...

BCRider
March 30, 2012, 12:32 AM
Well.... I know sometimes we have to compromise. And if there's actually something in the lease then that may ruin the idea.

But if it comes down to it I can show you how to put together a modest and not all that fast but still very useable portable setup which totally fits away in a medium size storage tote and slips into the closet when not being used. With this setup you can reload around 120 to 150 rounds an hour.

From sliding the box out of the closet to set up and beginning to run brass through a die takes about 5 minutes.

Carl Levitian
March 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
"Just because it will kill me (or a threat) eventually doesn't mean it will stop me (or a threat) immediately.....

The point of a defensive weapon is not to kill. It is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. There is no arguing that a .22 is not as well suited for this as other calibers, but if it is what you have, by all means, use it! However, using the above argument is showing that the point of self defense is misunderstood..."

I see many comments like this in these threads, and I'm always curious. Have you had yourself,or seen first hand any case where a .22 used for home defuse has not made the attack stop? I'm nog talking about your second cousin knew a guy who heard...

For the past 50 years I've been reading the American Rifleman and the Armed Citizen page is the first page I go to. Lov it. Not often, but not rare either, someone uses a .22 rifle or pistol, and it seems to work. The report always has the intruder staggering outside to either die or collapse. No matter what they are shot with. .22, 9mm, .357, the all seem to spend their last breath not turning on the homeowner in a fit of rage for shooting them with a .22 or any other weak handgun caliber, but they try to get out of the house with their last effort.

If anyone has any documented cases of some criminal getting shot with a .22, and then killing the homeowner or citizen, I'd like to read it.

My own experience with .22's is from my tine as police officer. I was responding officer on two calls that involved .22 shooting victims. One was a criminal that was shot in the stomach while attempting to assault a person, and he was down on the ground curled up in a tight fetal position, not responsive and making little whimpering noises. He survived with 4 hours of emergency surgery. In a hospital bed interview, he stated to me that it was an intense burning pain that totally incapacitated him. He couldn't run away let alone respond with any action. When he was shot, he was in the act of running at the shooter, who was armed with an old RG .22 revolver loaded with .22 longs.

The second was a high school kid, letterman athlete, that went rabbit hunting after school. Gettinghome he grabbed his .22 rifle by the barrel and pulled it across the pickup seat, and it went off, hitting him in the stomach. A 6 foot peak condition athlete was put down immediately in a fetal position, and could not move. The niebor lady who was gardening saw it happen and called 911, ad the kid barley lived. Later, again in a bedside interview for the report, he stated that an extremely intense burning in his whole abdomen section made it impossible for him to move.

I'd like to hear others experiences that involve .22 shootings to make up my mind if I ever bother with a center fire again.

scaatylobo
March 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
You need a shotgun [ they are VERY reasonable ] and a Mosin Nagant 38/44 or any variant .

Both are cheap and fun to shoot and there is NOTHING on this continent that cannot be taken with one or the other.

The shotty can be in 12 bore or 20 if you like the lighter model.

the M.N is in 7.62 X 54 and its at least as good as a 30-06 on game and - yes man as that was why it was created and used to 'hunt'.

I live in Western NYS and its very easy to get a CCW here,and its issued for life,unless you mess up and commit a crime.

huntsman
March 30, 2012, 09:00 AM
I wish I could recapture the warm and fuzzies for the .22lr again, having a .22lr pistol for SD is ok if you BUG is a 12 gauge ;)

Pilot
March 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
I know where you are coming from, but I think at some point you should at least pick up a 9MM or .38 Spl for home defense and weekend/evening carry in PA. You can find reasonably priced, used 9MM's semi-autos and .38 revolvers everywhere. Ammo costs aren't outrageous either.

I commuted from PA up to CT every week for about a year, and a half. Hated it, but besided that I went through NJ, NY, and then into CT which isn't gun friendly either. I kept a pistol at my apartment in CT, but never carried it, and when I transported it back it was in a locked case in the trunk, sans ammo.

Nothing wrong with .22's, I have several and shoot them every time at the range, but you are doing yourself and family a disservice with sub-optimal protection from intruders.

DJW
March 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
How time passes quickly and we forget things. Before the 08 election I was paying $6.00 for a brick of federal lightning .22 rimfire at Academy. Now about $20.00 is the norm. Whatever you do, favor center.

intercooler
March 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
All around is kind of idiotic. Do what's right for you!

stonecutter2
March 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
"Just because it will kill me (or a threat) eventually doesn't mean it will stop me (or a threat) immediately.....

The point of a defensive weapon is not to kill. It is to stop the threat as quickly as possible. There is no arguing that a .22 is not as well suited for this as other calibers, but if it is what you have, by all means, use it! However, using the above argument is showing that the point of self defense is misunderstood..."

I see many comments like this in these threads, and I'm always curious. Have you had yourself,or seen first hand any case where a .22 used for home defuse has not made the attack stop? I'm nog talking about your second cousin knew a guy who heard...

For the past 50 years I've been reading the American Rifleman and the Armed Citizen page is the first page I go to. Lov it. Not often, but not rare either, someone uses a .22 rifle or pistol, and it seems to work. The report always has the intruder staggering outside to either die or collapse. No matter what they are shot with. .22, 9mm, .357, the all seem to spend their last breath not turning on the homeowner in a fit of rage for shooting them with a .22 or any other weak handgun caliber, but they try to get out of the house with their last effort.

If anyone has any documented cases of some criminal getting shot with a .22, and then killing the homeowner or citizen, I'd like to read it.

My own experience with .22's is from my tine as police officer. I was responding officer on two calls that involved .22 shooting victims. One was a criminal that was shot in the stomach while attempting to assault a person, and he was down on the ground curled up in a tight fetal position, not responsive and making little whimpering noises. He survived with 4 hours of emergency surgery. In a hospital bed interview, he stated to me that it was an intense burning pain that totally incapacitated him. He couldn't run away let alone respond with any action. When he was shot, he was in the act of running at the shooter, who was armed with an old RG .22 revolver loaded with .22 longs.

The second was a high school kid, letterman athlete, that went rabbit hunting after school. Gettinghome he grabbed his .22 rifle by the barrel and pulled it across the pickup seat, and it went off, hitting him in the stomach. A 6 foot peak condition athlete was put down immediately in a fetal position, and could not move. The niebor lady who was gardening saw it happen and called 911, ad the kid barley lived. Later, again in a bedside interview for the report, he stated that an extremely intense burning in his whole abdomen section made it impossible for him to move.

I'd like to hear others experiences that involve .22 shootings to make up my mind if I ever bother with a center fire again.
My father's very good friend is a homicide detective in Chicago. He said he's seen about just as many 22 deaths as any other caliber. They are not pleasant to be shot with (as I imagine would be the case of any caliber).

The 22 is a high velocity round that has a tendency to ricochet around inside of someone when it hits bone. This causes nasty wounds and very easily results in death when critical vitals/arteries are hit.

No, it might not be instant death, but unless you're a fantastic shot and used to high adrenaline situations, I'm willing to bet even good training won't let someone drop a perp in one shot, on the spot, regardless of caliber. The perp likely has the element of surprise on their side, and their adrenaline is going, too. It's absolutely amazing what the human body is capable of in high stress situations, until there's time to stop and realize what's really happened.

I think the arguing of caliber for HD has gotten way too overblown. So long as you have something to defend yourself with, I see no reason to be concerned if you've practiced with it and know that it's a reliable firearm.

I think switching to all 22 is a fine choice these days. Ammo is expensive, so I reload my own 9mm and 45. But I still hoard away bricks of 22LR, because they've only climbed in price. The only ammo that has for some reason become half reasonable again is 223, I've been able to buy it at 25-29 cents per round lately, which is not bad at all.

Sky
March 30, 2012, 10:14 AM
I had a conversation with a range owner this week. He expects that he will double his .22 lanes and believes in the not to distant future most people will be shooting .22s (if they shoot anything) because they do not want to spend the money on larger caliber weapons. I admit I have not shot my .45 this year and very little 9mm but sure have burned up some value packs of .22.

The range always (any time of the day) has a few people there and on the weekends I do not even bother.

Same thing happened with airplanes; they priced them out of the market for your average Joe unless you want to build or have an ultra-lite and even then stuff ain't cheap.

The owner does have 5 commercial loading machines and 25,000 primer caps with more on order; he keeps wanting to teach me how to reload..ummm...Maybe one day I will take a fancy to the reloading thing but as of now I just feel cheap and guilty when I pop off 100 rounds of 7.62x39 or 223.

rdhood
March 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
Wife doesn't want me reloading till we move and I have a basement/garage to work in. Currently in a nice sized, but one level condo

When I lived in a small apartment, I mounted my Lee Turret Press to a 2'x2' piece of plywood. When I wanted to reload, I would bring it out and clamp it (using wood clamps from harbor freight) to a table or bar.

Carl Levitian
March 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
"
I had a conversation with a range owner this week. He expects that he will double his .22 lanes and believes in the not to distant future most people will be shooting .22s (if they shoot anything) because they do not want to spend the money on larger caliber weapons. I admit I have not shot my .45 this year and very little 9mm but sure have burned up some value packs of .22.

The range always (any time of the day) has a few people there and on the weekends I do not even bother.

Same thing happened with airplanes; they priced them out of the market for your average Joe unless you want to build or have an ultra-lite and even then stuff ain't cheap.

The owner does have 5 commercial loading machines and 25,000 primer caps with more on order; he keeps wanting to teach me how to reload..ummm...Maybe one day I will take a fancy to the reloading thing but as of now I just feel cheap and guilty when I pop off 100 rounds of 7.62x39 or 223"

This is what I'm afraid of, the shooting sport getting to a point where the working stiff or retires can't afford to shoot. Being retired, it's already gotten to a point where the wife and I have to decide between gas and ammo. This gas thing has given a lot of people a huge cut in available funds. If we plan a long road trip to g see the Grand Canyon or something, we have to stop spending for a while in another area.
at this point in our lives, center fire ammo is out of the picture.

gfanikf
March 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
When I lived in a small apartment, I mounted my Lee Turret Press to a 2'x2' piece of plywood. When I wanted to reload, I would bring it out and clamp it (using wood clamps from harbor freight) to a table or bar.
Trust me I've tried, but there really is no room to put something like that in. Plus once my daughter starts crawling and the cat..well jumping on things like she normally does, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. I will at some point though. Besides since she is fine with my having guns and shooting, I can't complain to much.

Got a chance to try out the M4 22lr last night:
1. Next time I'm wearing a shirt over my t-shirt (hot brass dance and landing down my shirt a couple of times was not fun lol)
2. Funny enough the thing hated my Federal Game Shock bulk that I had. I'm going to try and use CCI Mini-Mags tonight. I thought the Federal as a standard velocity would be fine (since the manual mentioned standard would be fine). Happy I tried this before buying more Federal (perhaps the regular non game Federal Bulk works better). If Mini-Mags work I'll just grab more of them online.

When it fired (the errors I chalk up to ammo and it was the guy at Classic Pistol where I shoot thought too) the gun is so damn fun. I am getting more mags, loading 30 rounds of 22lr can be a bit time consuming lol

That said I'm still looking at the CZ-82 as a center gun or a Tantal (for cheap surplus ammo).

SimplyChad
March 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
cant go wrong with a solid steel gun

BCRider
March 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
If you're going to be dealing with a very open area where you'll have kids and cats interrupting I can whole heartedly agree with your decision to just put the idea of reloading away until you have a man cave/shop of your own.

In the meantime congrats on enjoying your M4 .22. My own rimfire rifle enjoyment takes me in the exact opposite direction with an array of very old falling block single shots, a couple of pump action, a bolt rifle and a lever Henry. Not a single semi auto so far. But then the world is all about what makes us grin. And I can certainly understand why a nice .22 semi makes so many folks grin a lot.

allaroundhunter
March 30, 2012, 03:14 PM

Actually yes, my grandfather was a medical examiner in a rural Kansas town and he had one case of a double murder in which one of the homeowners shot the intruder 3 times in the stomach with a .22. The intruder shot back and killed the homeowner and his wife and was able to make it almost to the end of the property lines before he died.

Could a higher caliber have changed the outcome? No one can know for sure, but the .22 was able to kill....it just didn't stop the threat fast enough.

To be fair, my grandfather also treated and saved a man who tried to kill himself by shooting himself point blank in the chest with a 12 ga shotgun.....the human body is weird.

happygeek
March 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
Got a chance to try out the M4 22lr last night:
1. Next time I'm wearing a shirt over my t-shirt (hot brass dance and landing down my shirt a couple of times was not fun lol)
2. Funny enough the thing hated my Federal Game Shock bulk that I had. I'm going to try and use CCI Mini-Mags tonight. I thought the Federal as a standard velocity would be fine (since the manual mentioned standard would be fine). Happy I tried this before buying more Federal (perhaps the regular non game Federal Bulk works better). If Mini-Mags work I'll just grab more of them online.

Which 22LR M4 did you get (Colt, S&W, CMMG, etc)?

gfanikf
April 4, 2012, 02:27 PM
If you're going to be dealing with a very open area where you'll have kids and cats interrupting I can whole heartedly agree with your decision to just put the idea of reloading away until you have a man cave/shop of your own.
Yeah, my wife has enough issues with my cleaning with Hoppes (the smell makes he feel ill), so

In the meantime congrats on enjoying your M4 .22. My own rimfire rifle enjoyment takes me in the exact opposite direction with an array of very old falling block single shots, a couple of pump action, a bolt rifle and a lever Henry. Not a single semi auto so far. But then the world is all about what makes us grin. And I can certainly understand why a nice .22 semi makes so many folks grin a lot.
Thanks it's pretty fun so far, well despite the "brass kiss" I got on my neck from one (despite flipping my collar up, it actually got trapped for a few seconds). The joys of being left handed and coping with ejector and/or gas release! That said it is fun and accurate as hell!

Which 22LR M4 did you get (Colt, S&W, CMMG, etc)?

The Colt Uramex one. Still having issues on it, the bolt seems to jam, I've been told it's because it needs to have oil and lube on it or at least to do that before seeing if it has further issues. I do really enjoy it though. Brass kiss and bolt issues aside (as I'm using mini-mags and having FTF with those is well extremely rare).

I am "going back" to having one centerfire a Polish Tantal. I consider the ammo price to be the 22lr of centerfire at the moment. That said when the money is better I would love to get a FiveseveN (just a really fascinating gun)....but that's a long way away. Besides with people's likely behavior for buying AKs during the summer and into the fall I might always be able to sell it for 1.5X times what I paid. Keep in mind with this ammo I paid $150 shipped for 1080 (apparently it's HD ammo ;)). So it won't break the bank.

303tom
April 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
Now let me preface this by saying while I live in PA, I work in NY and commute via NJT. I spend most of my time in places where not only would a PA LTCF not be recognized, it's nigh on impossible to get guns and certainly a carry permit if you live there (I looked into it when in Brooklyn before moving back to PA....yeah wasn't going to work). What I'm getting at is I don't carry (besides going to range and back) and unless I take some classes I just don't feel comfortable doing so (or had a gun for that purpose...and spent money on a proper holster and related goods).

My wife and I also welcomed are first daughter earlier this year. For me despite not shooting as much (from just having a child) the costs of .45 ACP and 223 where just getting to be much for what I used at each range trip or two. So I decided to give a New Ruger Single Six a try and wound up loving it. So I dumped my Mini-14 (shockingly for more than I paid) and got an M4 22lr (which for me has the feel of an M4, but not nearly the cost).

I just love that I can get 500 rounds of Federal 22 (each in small boxes) for ~20-25 bucks. I found it's also a lot easier to work on my aim. I've made an exception that anything that is surplus ammo friendly would also be allowed (why I'm still thinking of a Tokarov for something heavier than just 22lr). I just figured it's a great way to work on fundamental aim and handling and not hurt my wallet or be at the mercy of (even natural) price increases to the degree I would with other firearms and "shoot all day"...well at least until a slidefire is made for 22 stocks (like the Ruger 10/22 though I really don't want to fall pray to "tacticooling" one too much).
Gota do what ya gota do...............Good Luck !

Gordon_Freeman
April 6, 2012, 11:16 AM
I had issues with my colt 22 also. I tightened the bolt spring all the way down and solved the problem. The front sight is canted so I do not recommend these rifles. The s&w m&p 22 is much better.

Sniper66
April 6, 2012, 11:25 AM
I bought two .22 pistols for practice before buying a .45 or 9mm because of the cost. Have had great fun shooting the .22s. Still haven't acquired a larger caliber pistol, but will one of these days. I am lucky though because I have several center fires and shot guns. Still, saving money where I can is a priority.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dumped my other calibers for rimfire" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!