Why Own A 1911?

PDA

jahwarrior
March 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Let's start a list; any reason you can think of, and funny reasons will not be discouraged! :D

1. Because John Moses Browning smiles upon you from Heaven when you shoot one.
2. Because it annoys plastic wundernine fanbois that your gun is better than theirs. :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Own A 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DennisE
March 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
Because life's too short to shoot plastic guns! Dennis

rcmodel
March 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
Because I started shooting them in 1962, and I ain't gonna quit now.

rc

CoRoMo
March 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think Ruger's model is priced so good and should be made well enough that there is little reason not to buy one. I don't know if I'll ever use it for more than plinking and display, but I want one. It'll be my first 1911 and might also be my last.

SSN Vet
March 29, 2012, 03:27 PM
because SAO triggers are where it's at

Vern Humphrey
March 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Because tens of thousands of Mexicans, Germans, Japanese, Moros, North Koreans, Chinese and North Viet Namese can't be wrong.

allaroundhunter
March 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
Because they have a soul.

scaatylobo
March 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
I am not a snob and I shoot and carry anything I shoot well.

Not owning a 1911 is like not owning a .22 RF pistol & revolver & rifle,at least a few of each :evil:.

But I also own and carry 6 Glocks and a 'few' other brands.

R.W.Dale
March 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Cause what other automatic only holds 7 rounds and weights almost as much as a small toolbox?

Because they have a soul.

Would that be the Philippine ones or the Brazilian ones?

Swami
March 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Because the first time I shot one I understood.

thefamcnaj
March 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Because my grand daddy said so.
(It was 1911 or nothing for him)
And because it makes me feel good :)

Demitrios
March 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
Because they have some of the best triggers available, are very accurate and have over 100 years of options built for them.

Sam1911
March 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
Because, like manual transmissions, you probably aught to know how, just in case, and they can provide a rewarding experience.

allaroundhunter
March 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cause what other automatic only holds 7 rounds and weights almost as much as a small toolbox?

Would that be the Philippine ones or the Brazilian ones?

It would be the non-Austrian ones ;)

Nushif
March 29, 2012, 04:23 PM
For me: Trigger.

If someone came out with a gun as easy to carry and shoot well that had a trigger equal to one, I'd be all over it. But I haven't seen it yet.

trex1310
March 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't own one and never want to own another one.

The polymer framed guns have some advantages:
- easier to maintain
- more reliable
- cheaper to purchase initially (for a quality pistol)
- very accurate
- higher capacity

jackpinesavages
March 29, 2012, 04:36 PM
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about; friend of mine has access to decent prices on STIs. Ordered me up one of their long-slide .45s, and that's all she wrote. American built, German-American engineered, tested on Texas boar, Uncle Ted approved. *** would NOT want an STI, I mean, a 1911...:what:

After getting over the learning curve/hill somewhat, of parts nomenclature, design differences, builders, bolt-ons, Brownells catalogs, the expansive choices of American 1911 builders and customizing tweekers, it comes down to bold accuracy with the 1911s I've accrued; I'd not hesitate to smoke a 50yd shot with the highest confidence. 1911/2011, pick your smooth as glass operator.

Mikhail Weiss
March 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
Because it almost makes Chuck Norris cry.

Almost.

JRH6856
March 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Because you can, and there is no reason not to.

BBQLS1
March 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
They are old and antiquated..... I just like them. I also have an N frame.

Teachu2
March 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
I was mentored by a gunsmith who also employed me during some of my college years. He built me a 1911 as a graduation gift, and I shot many thousands of rounds through it. Very accurate, extremely reliable, and plenty of stopping power. I hadn't shot a pistol in 7-8 years, and walked on to a range for a local competition. Shot 5 "practice" rounds, then out-shot 2/3 of the field. Guess some of my muscles have long memories...

If I'd been raised on Glocks, I'd be out there happily making lots of holes all over targets. If that's where it's at for others, I hope they enjoy it. For me, it's best when I just make one jagged hole.

I also enjoy the history involved - over 100 years, and still the same core design. The heft of the weapon, the fat cartridge, the single stack magazine, the smooth recoil, the 1911 Experience....well, I also ride a Harley. Nothing else even comes close.

Teachu2
March 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
The polymer framed guns have some advantages:
- easier to maintain
- more reliable
- cheaper to purchase initially (for a quality pistol)
- very accurate
- higher capacity

You left out "dishwasher-safe"....:neener:

JRH6856
March 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
You left out "dishwasher-safe".

Apparently so is an AMT Hardballer. I had a friend who cleaned his that way. :eek:

JRH6856
March 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
If I'd been raised on Glocks, I'd be out there happily making lots of holes all over targets.

Glock owners are mesmerized by their hi capacity magazines, and they don't want to waste it by putting every shot in the same hole. They make a lot of holes so they can count 'em. :evil:

Swing
March 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
Because there its a work of art in gun form. Well, that and the trigger better than any plastic-fantastic pistol I've ever shot. ;)

SleazyRider
March 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
A Buck 110 folding hunter, a '57 Chevy, a metal lunch box with a Thermos stowed inside the lid, a Piper Cub, a Harley, or even a flannel shirt ... I can't explain it. The 1911 belongs in there too. I think they call them "classics" these days, but I think of them as timeless, utilitarian designs that have withstood the test of time when others have fallen by the wayside.

Zerodefect
March 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
-Because it has the best trigger of all pistols.
-Safest design
-accurate
-Will Sasso
-It deosn't have a sharp nasty teeter totter thing right smack in the middle of it's trigger shoe.
-good sight selection
-reliable (assuming a good example of a more expensive version not some cheapo Kimber/Springy)
-no warped plastic frame
-Thinnest fullsize .45, it CCW's well.
-thin mags

And of course the feel. Smooth .45ACP out of a solid steel 1911 like a DW or EB is a completely different experience than a plastic gun or even a cheaper 1911.

EddieNFL
March 29, 2012, 06:19 PM

Yep. You definitely have to be a man and know how to shoot if you're going to carry one.

When my wife decided she needed to carry a handgun in her purse, I didn't hesitate one second...Glock all the way.

Ramone
March 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
My five-foot-nuthin, 100 lbs with a full belly and wet hair, ex GF said, when her .38 Chiefs Special toting daddy was astonhished that she wanted a 'hand cannon' like mine told him "if I have to shoot someone, they better stay shot! I'm to little to wrestle with a goon!"

AND!

she had no issue carrying it or concealing it- though, true, she did sometimes rely on distraction/misdirection for CCW.

also, see my sig:

Sergei Mosin
March 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Because in the event you run out of ammo, it can be used as a club.

Stevie-Ray
March 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
I think they call them "classics" these days, but I think of them as timeless, utilitarian designs that have withstood the test of time when others have fallen by the wayside. What lovely rapturous music! *sob*

WWJC? The 1911 is, after all, what Jesus would carry.;)

The Lone Haranguer
March 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
I would love one if I can find one that functions. (I blame this on the failure of manufacturers to make them right, not the design itself.) Few handguns match its combination of speed into action and accuracy.

Hk Dan
March 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Why NOTown one? Properly framed and matted, they compliment any decor...

JRH6856
March 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
Because compared to a 9mm, you can double-tap with one shot. (2x115=1x230)

Byrd666
March 29, 2012, 07:15 PM
Because a 1911 was the first pistol I ever shot, and it will probably be the last one I ever shoot.

the duck of death
March 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
Everyone should have one--I have 7. They are beautiful guns.

However, I shoot and carry a Glock.

Greg528iT
March 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
I really like them.

If it was a war movie, John Wayne had one on his hip.
If it was a cowboy movie John Wayne had a SAA on his hip. I have one of those too.

atomd
March 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
Because it goes to 11

mcdonl
March 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
You just have to... it's like a lever action 30-30, AR/AK, etc... you have to have one of every kind and no doubt that the 1911 is it's own "kind" of pistol.

Mousegun
March 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
Because, just because.

jbkebert
March 29, 2012, 09:49 PM
I would rather be considered an elitist than a fanboy.

Steve CT
March 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
Because it's one of the best fighting handguns ever made.

Dr.cry
March 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
In a post-apocalyptic world or combat, I would prefer a Glock. For real life, 1911. It was used in World War I! How cool is that? It's made of steel - also cool. Something made of steel just feels more "weapony." The 1911 is the most accurate .45 that I know of. If I'm in shooting shape I can usually hit the paper at 100 yards with one.

Bassleg
March 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
Because they have 500 parts

PastorAaron
March 30, 2012, 12:37 AM
Harley or 1911. If you have to ask, you won't understand.

JoNate
March 30, 2012, 12:49 AM
Okay, I was on the fence. I am buying as soon as I get paid!

theQman23
March 30, 2012, 02:18 AM
As someone who owns Glocks, S&W autos, and 1911 handguns............. I can honestly say that the reason to own a 1911 has for me anyway, got to be the trigger.

Steel trigger, via stell bow, working a steel sear, oh so nice and crisp and TAYSHTY.

There really is no better trigger than a SAO metal one...... um um good.

The other guns are cool too. I carry the glock mostly, and can enjoy my sa/da smiths, and even the .50 deer killer, but when I want to feel connected to my pistol......... when I want the blood in my veins to integrate with the molecules of metal in my hand..... the 1911 really does have soul. Even if made overseas.

Brian Williams
March 30, 2012, 02:34 AM
Simplicity in Complexity.

mnrivrat
March 30, 2012, 02:55 AM
Seven or more 45 Caliber rounds with a can do attitude.

100 years of proven performance, and accuracy .

Won't melt on a hot day, or crack on a cold one.

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
Why? Because I wanted one.

4v50 Gary
March 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Almost anyone can service them. They're simple unlike the modern DA/SA or DAO pistol.

hdbiker
March 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
because I trained with one in the US Army back in 1963,and loved it.took me over 47 years to get a new Springfield,loaded target modle,it was worth the wait.biker

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Sorry...but I have a hard time seeing the attraction to a heavy,limited capacity pistol well known for being unreliable 'out of the box'. The 1911 is well known for slam fires and Ad's when lowering the small hammer on a loaded chamber. I can find steel guns, reliability and very good triggers without problems like that. Yes, my perceptions might be wrong so feel free to try to persuade me otherwise...

tdstout
March 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Sorry...but I have a hard time seeing the attraction to a heavy,limited capacity pistol well known for being unreliable 'out of the box'. The 1911 is well known for slam fires and Ad's when lowering the small hammer on a loaded chamber. I can find steel guns, reliability and very good triggers without problems like that. Yes, my perceptions might be wrong so feel free to try to persuade me otherwise...

Mine has been perfectly reliable since the day I got it, and that was over 8 years ago. The only thing that has ever happened to mine is the plunger tube came unstaked. It will still shoot with perfect reliability, but the thumb safety doesn't work. It's going back to the factory to be fixed for free in the next couple of days. It's just a lowly Springfield GI model, too. Not some fancy $1000 gun.

Zerodefect
March 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ok, well since you asked....

Sorry...but I have a hard time seeing the attraction to a heavy
Heavy = low recoil. AL framed models are fairly light, but still heavier than plastic. No contest there.

limited capacity pistol well
7+1 in plenty, and the 1911 reloads quickly and it's thin mags are easy to CCW. A single stack Glock or M&P would be a huge seller.

known for being unreliable 'out of the box'.
Actually my Dan Wesson 1911's are more reliable than my Glocks, Kahrs, and Rugers. You just have to buy the expensive 1911's to get the good ones. (give or take Colt)

The 1911 is well known for slam fires and Ad's when lowering the small hammer on a loaded chamber.
No need to ever lower the hammer on a 1911. The only time my hammer is down is for field stripping. Empty, full, +1, or +0, the hammer's cocked. Why would anyone ever need to lower the hammer on a 1911 with one in the pipe?

I can find steel guns, reliability and very good triggers without problems like that. Fair enough.

Yes, my perceptions might be wrong so feel free to try to persuade me otherwise...

But you're right. An El Cheapo 1911, will not be reliable. And the pistol really isn't well suited to people that don't have a very technical mindset.

TimboKhan
March 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Oh, i dunno. It depends on what your definition of reliable entails. If you mean reliable for the casual shooter, i think most of the cheaper 1911s can hang. If you mean reliable over the course of a gunsite class, probably not.

I think to an extent those extremes are mutually exclusive. Fact is, if your an occastiobal shooter, you do not need the level of reliability of a les baer gun gives you. You RIA pistol will perform well and be trustworthy, because it won't wear out. If you shoot a few thousand rounds a year, your benchmark is much higher. Its like saying you have to buy a viper to run to the bank or something

I shoot about 1k + a year of .45, so I bought a more expensive gun (sig scorpion) because i need and want a higher level of performance, and I expect this gun to provide that. If i was just running a box of ammo downrange every now and again, i would have bought an RIA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The_Armed_Therapist
March 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
Because they're too heavy, too bulky, and don't have the capacity that I'd prefer... Oh, wait... Am I in the right place? :P

JRH6856
March 30, 2012, 02:53 PM

Heavy means low recoil, better control, more accuracy.

Limited capacity. It can put twice the weight of metal on target with one shot than a 9mm. Essentially a 1 shot double tap.

Unreliable out of the box. Depends on who makes it. When (If) the Glock platform has been around 100 years and cheap 4th world knock-offs are all over the place, "Glocks" will have the same problem.

Slam fires and ADs when dropping the hammer. ADs maybe due to improper handling, but slam fires? No, not well known for that at all. And why would anyone drop the hammer on a loaded chamber unless they intended to put a bullet on target? A loaded 1911 is safest when cocked and locked.

I can find steel guns, reliability and excellent triggers without problems like that. So can I. All are 1911s.

cwduke08
March 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
! Whether your on a trip with the guys, flying solo at the range, or stopping an attacker the 1911 commands respect, and people take notice!

Because .45's are like cash.. They don't bounce!

mesinge2
March 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Because my safe is full of them

JCinAK
March 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Looks. Feel. Reliablilty. The 1911 has it.

The capacity is more limited than some pistols, but generally 7-8 .45 bullets should be able to get the job done. If not, then more practice is needed.

March 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Why Own A 1911?

Because no other handgun offers so many excellent choices over such a large price range. Just consider this partial list of 1911 manufacturers.

RIA
Taurus
Para Ordnance
Remington
Colt
Kimber
Ruger
SIG
Springfield
S&W
STI
Nighthawk Custom
Dan Wesson
Ed Brown
Les Baer
Wilson Combat

March 30, 2012, 03:28 PM

Funny for sure, but for the record, my 1911s hold 8+1 ... just like my SIG P220s.

cougar1717
March 30, 2012, 04:59 PM
Because it's an instantly recognizable, American classic with 101 years of service; venerated in one of the most significant wars of those living today.

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
By Zerodefect:
Sorry...but I have a hard time seeing the attraction to a heavy
Heavy = low recoil. AL framed models are fairly light, but still heavier than plastic. No contest there.

Yeah, I like heavy too...up to a point. My third gen S&W is no lightweight.

known for being unreliable 'out of the box'.
Actually my Dan Wesson 1911's are more reliable than my Glocks, Kahrs, and Rugers. You just have to buy the expensive 1911's to get the good ones. (give or take Colt)

See--that's what I'm talking about. If I want to shoot .45, I can buy an XD, a Sig, an Beretta..all for much less than a 'reliable' .45. Not to mention I don't need to be fiddling around 'tuning the extractor' which seems to be a common problem. Never had to do that on a Sig or a S&W.

The 1911 is well known for slam fires and Ad's when lowering the small hammer on a loaded chamber.
No need to ever lower the hammer on a 1911. The only time my hammer is down is for field stripping. Empty, full, +1, or +0, the hammer's cocked. Why would anyone ever need to lower the hammer on a 1911 with one in the pipe?

Why? To field strip it. BTW, you contradicted yourself twice in the same paragraph. Anyway, not knocking anyones like of a 1911 'shrug'. If it floats your boat, OK. I just can't see any reason to spend 1,000 dollar on a carry gun when there are $300 to $500 guns out there (non-1911's) that shoot just as well and are more reliable.

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Timbokhan wrote:
Oh, i dunno. It depends on what your definition of reliable entails. If you mean reliable for the casual shooter, i think most of the cheaper 1911s can hang. If you mean reliable over the course of a gunsite class, probably not.

I think to an extent those extremes are mutually exclusive. Fact is, if your an occastiobal shooter, you do not need the level of reliability of a les baer gun gives you. You RIA pistol will perform well and be trustworthy, because it won't wear out. If you shoot a few thousand rounds a year, your benchmark is much higher. Its like saying you have to buy a viper to run to the bank or something

I shoot about 1k + a year of .45, so I bought a more expensive gun (sig scorpion) because i need and want a higher level of performance, and I expect this gun to provide that. If i was just running a box of ammo downrange every now and again, i would have bought an RIA.

Thanks for the candor, and this is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm a shooter that uses up well over 1,000 rounds a year and I kinda had a feeling that a RIA wouldn't hold up to that sort of use. Maybe someday when the kids are all gone, and I've saved my mad money for a while I'll buy an expensive 1911 for the range.

mesinge2
March 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
You don't 'need' lower the hammer to 'field strip' a 1911. And you shouldn't be disassembling a loaded weapon anyways.

Also, my ten 1911s would have to argue with your unreliability claim. My Combat Elite is going on 20,000 jam-free rounds. And the accuracy of my new E-series S&W 1911 is hard to beat.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ogvEI7XPRo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtvwKJQxaA

foghornl
March 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
"cause there is just something about a parkerized metal and checkered wood gripped handgun

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mesinge2 wrote:
Also, my ten 1911s would have to argue with your unreliability claim. My Combat Elite is going on 20,000 jam-free rounds.

And how much did that gun cost? :what:

mesinge2
March 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
The Combat Elite cost me about $850. Worth every penny. It shoots circles around my XDm-45 with less recoil, a better trigger, and with less muzzle filp I have quicker follow-up shots.

Chuck R.
March 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
Because Les Baer has a polymer allergy…….

Seriously, these threads come up almost monthly. IF you don’t “get” the 1911, chances are you never will.

So why not just let it go?

Chuck

Franchise42
March 30, 2012, 07:13 PM
1.Cause if it's good enough for Magnum P.I. then it's good enough for me.
2.Cause I've never had a single misfire, never ever. Not one!
3.Cause if I run outa ammo, it makes a brilliant blunt object to smash with.

bophi
March 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
bcause dat is the way it is, and has been for 100 yr's. why do some many gun owners want a mag with so many rd's.all you need is 1 rd out of a 1911 45acp. if some of the gun mfg's. would use a sliding trigger instead of all of the gadgets stuck all into the trigger and adj. thier grip angle where a shooter would not be pointing at the sky. and have a full grip, single stack, go to go out of the box.it would make them a lot better. i have some poly pistols but the 1911 is the best of all. and they are all stock. 1911's are the most collected pistol on earth. gun owners don't collect poly pistols for thier resale value , they collect 1911's. period. and it will be for another 100 years ............

NGIB
March 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
Why does it matter what my guns cost me? As long as I pay for them and don't use your money - seems like a moot point. I like 1911s so it really doesn't matter that anyone else doesn't. Buy what you like and enjoy yourself.

BTW, I carry one of those overpriced, poor performing Colt 1911s every day...

chhodge69
March 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
It's a piece of living effin'-a American history. It has the same appeal as big-block V8s, Harley Davidson, burgers and fries, incandescent light bulbs and genuine home grown ta-ta's.

You can probably find something made of plastic that goes faster or looks better but I still like the real thing.

Jaymo
March 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
You forgot to mention Zippo lighters, another American classic. All metal, and they work in all weather/temps. And they don't go BOOM like butane lighters can.

I'll take a 1911 over any other auto pistol for combat or self defense. No other pistol in the world has been as combat proven as the 1911.
And because steel is stronger and more durable than nylon.
And because I like guns with good triggers, not triggers like those suction cup dart guns I had as a child.

Stevie-Ray
March 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
. Why would anyone ever need to lower the hammer on a 1911 with one in the pipe?

Why? To field strip it. Field strip it with one in the pipe? Seriously?

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
No, Stevie, you aren't reading right. If I want to empty the gun I either have to drop the hammer and then rack the slide or take the safety off and rack the slide. I've seen it done both ways.

jungle
March 30, 2012, 10:16 PM
Forget classic, forget any arguments for cheap polymer mass produced pistols.
There are many great pistols out there, find the one that fits your needs and buy it.

That said, the 1911 is one of the best designs ever created for a wide variety of reasons and uses. Get ahold of a quality example with a good trigger and barrel fitment and you will no longer have to ask why.

JRH6856
March 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
If I want to empty the gun I either have to drop the hammer and then rack the slide or take the safety off and rack the slide.

And the question remains, "Why drop the hammer?" :confused: Just rack the slide--you have to do it either way and it is easier to rack with the hammer cocked.

batex
Because of the history. This was the fighting handgun that served us in World War I, World War II, Korea Vietnam, etc. Glock?.. in 100 years it won't have that much history.

mesinge2
If I want to empty the gun I either have to drop the hammer and then rack the slide or take the safety off and rack the slide.

I am sorry sir but the first clause in the above sentence is incorrect. If you drop the hammer the act of racking the slide will simply cock it again. Its a self-defeating act. To properly unload a 1911 simply disengage the safety and pull the slide back and the chambered round will be ejected.

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 10:21 PM
Mesinge2...
Sorry..thought you had a Wilson Combat Elite. You must have the Colt Combat Elite.

NGIB-it doesn't matter to me what you pay, but if you're going to try to convince me that a 1911 is the gun to have, then price is one of the issues.

gregj
March 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Shoot one, then see if you still need to ask why.

mesinge2
March 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
If you lived closer loneviking, I'd let ya shoot some of my Colts, Kimbers, Springers, and then you'd be as hooked as the rest of us. I have been shooting a .45 ACP 5" 1911 since 8 years of age and the gun 'feels' like an extension of my hand. I even had a 1991A1 at one point that had no sights on it, just so I could practice point shooting. Even with no sights I could keep everything in the 9 ring. They are just awesome guns. I am actually looking at getting another tomorrow.

And don't take me for a gun snob or hater. I own XDms, Beretta, Taurus, Glock, S&W, Rugers, and many more. I just prefer and shoot 1911s better than anything else.

loneviking
March 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thank you Mesinge2. That's a nice offer that I wish I could take you up on as it just might change my mind. All the guys I know carry Glocks, Sigs or XD's.

Sky
March 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Because, like manual transmissions, you probably aught to know how, just in case, and they can provide a rewarding experience.

Sam's not just another pretty face! Also helps if I agree with him......

tarosean
March 31, 2012, 12:55 AM
You can probably find something made of plastic that goes faster or looks better but I still like the real thing.

blasphemy!!!

No other pistol in the world has been as combat proven as the 1911.

Thinking the Beretta is close now-a-days...

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 01:06 AM
Why own a 1911? Because you want to. It's not the gun for everyone just like any other gun. Buy what you want and you'll be happy.

Thinking the Beretta is close now-a-days...

The Beretta M9 hasn't been in service for over 100 years.

tarosean
March 31, 2012, 01:12 AM
The Beretta M9 hasn't been in service for over 100 years.

I was thinking wars fought, not length of service. Combat proven as the post referred too.

I was incorrect anyhow. I was thinking they adopted it sooner than the mid 80's..

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 01:16 AM
I don't own one, nor do I care to at the moment (a few things ahead of it on my short list), but I want one because of it's history, and they just look beautiful.

CountryUgly
March 31, 2012, 11:18 AM
Because I've put on a few pounds since getting married and that fat double stack 19 round mag and that way to wide slide doesn't leave any room in my waistband for my morning biscuits anymore. The 1911 even with it's big bullets leaves room for a little extra gravy if I so choose :) I'm no longer built for speed, these days it's all about comfort :)

xXxplosive
March 31, 2012, 11:23 AM
Colt 1911 Government Model.........."The Fist Of God".

RedAlert
March 31, 2012, 01:39 PM
Because it makes a nice low-profile paper weight.

MAJ Mike
March 31, 2012, 02:11 PM
Why own a M1911A1?

There's no reason not to own one.

To be the "pistol-parent" of a M1911A1 is to be blessed by God. You own a M1911A1 for the same reason you should own a Katana. Because if you never owned one, you would never have the pure pleasure of handling one and knowing it belongs to you.

tarosean
March 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
polishing plastic/polymer doesn't quite have the same effect...

Rob G
March 31, 2012, 04:17 PM
- Because the first time I shot one I put 50 rounds through a 2 inch hole at 30 feet. I can do better now.
- Because it's always just felt right in my hand.
- Because I like hitting the torso sized gong on my range at 130 yards. (furthest distance I've tried so far)
- Because when I pull out my other handguns people say: "that's a nice collection." But when I pull out my 1911 they say: "Can I put a few rounds through that?"

Also I've read a bit in this thread about how you have to have a high dollar 1911 for it to be reliable. I know my experience is limited since I only own three but my Kimber TLE II, bought for $750 NIB, and my Rock Island Armory, $400 NIB, have been absolutely flawless and accurate. So by all means buy a high dollar one if you want, I'd love to myself, but don't knock the cheaper ones because there are a lot of them out there that work just fine.

tomrkba
March 31, 2012, 05:21 PM
Because:

...1911's are Legos for adults.

...I need one to practice clearing stovepipe and double feed jams.

...I really like the trigger and no other design beats it.

...it looks cool.

...manufacturers make it in every possible configuration and I can get exactly what I want.

Patch Delta
March 31, 2012, 05:39 PM
My father carried one in WWII. I carried one in Vietnam. What other pistol has defended America for 100 years and counting.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

MAJ Mike
March 31, 2012, 06:09 PM
Heh! I paid $75 for my GI M1911A1 back in 1971.

They're good investments and mine didn't require a butt-load of enhancements.

Resist Evil
March 31, 2012, 06:37 PM
Why I choose to carry and compete with a 1911, Commander-style:

Owned, carried and practiced with revolvers and semi-automatics, made in this and other countries, made with plastic or aluminum or steel, toted about in holsters, pouches and pockets in .22 lr, .25 acp, .32 acp, .380, .38 spl, 9x19 mm calibers for almost thirty years before I ever laid a hand on a 1911 pattern pistol.

And with that first experience, I had a religion-quality epiphany of .45 acp caliber enlightenment. The way it fit my hand. The way it balanced. The way it handled recoil. The way the SA trigger felt. I felt like Smeagol holding the Ring.

Sometimes you choose the gun and sometimes, if you're very lucky, the gun chooses you.

:)

MrDig
March 31, 2012, 06:54 PM
Name another firearm still in production with 101 years of service, essentially in the same configuration it started.

EddieNFL
March 31, 2012, 07:30 PM
Pump action shotgun?

MrDig
March 31, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Model 1911 has been made since 1911 and is still essentially the same gun, in production and in service one way or another for 101 years. Name another specific model?

jim goose
March 31, 2012, 08:05 PM
Slim, 5" barrel, 8+1 aint bad, and SAO accuracy. My 1911 is my least used pistol, but it would the last to go as well. That and my 870.

EddieNFL
March 31, 2012, 08:59 PM
The Model 1911 has been made since 1911 and is still essentially the same gun, in production and in service one way or another for 101 years. Name another specific model?
You said firearm.

sgtstryker
March 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
My first pistol was a Colt Govt. Model, it had an Argentine rollmark on top of the slide. Cost $180 at a pawn shop in 1974, I'm not gonna embarrass myself by telling what I traded it for. The 1911 is the pistol we've all seen, wanted, owned and shot. They are America wrapped up in steel and wood and it slings a big ole bullet. It's good to see the new popularity of it, now lots more folks are finding out what it really is. I carry one of mine each trip to the range with whatever else goes, always like shootin' it.

qcsmitty
April 1, 2012, 06:54 PM
Not all "non-plastic guns" are 1911's. I'm curious too. What does a 1911 have that my W. German Sig P220 doesn't? The CZ97?

JRH6856
April 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Grip safety? Single action (only) trigger?

azrn
April 1, 2012, 08:48 PM
the 1911 is a fighters gun. shoots straight and looks good. a real thumper that does the job needed to keep you in the game. looks good,feels good , shoots good. it is pure art in function and form. maybe when we invent the laser pistol; we can say the 1911 is outdated. azrn

mnrivrat
April 1, 2012, 09:17 PM
What does a 1911 have that my W. German Sig P220 doesn't?

Pretty much nothing - I fully respect the P220 and would not call the 1911 pattern gun better than some other available firearms. Good we can have both, or several. I also have a Taurus 24/7 in 45 acp than I have no intention of getting read of.

The appeal of the 1911 does not have to be at the expense of anything else, nor vs anything else. It stands tall in a good neighbor hood, looks right at home beside a glass of Scotch, a good cigar, a fireplace, and an old dog. That's what makes it part of what it is (classic), and as popular as what it is.

Not to mention its a proven damn good tool.

4v50 Gary
April 1, 2012, 09:26 PM
No one should own one. They should own many.

mljdeckard
April 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
Because it's the state gun.

Because we just clicked over the 100 year anniversary.

Because Para is building commemorative pistols for my unit's recent deployment.

Because I wanted a wide-frame for open-carry.

Because I wanted a hi-cap for competition.

These are the reasons for my most recent one.

coalman
April 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
To experience the standard in trigger and accuracy by which all other pistols shall be measured...

joneser49
April 2, 2012, 08:48 PM
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thats the main reason

Fatdaddy
April 3, 2012, 07:09 AM
There's nothing better for practicing various failure drills.:neener:

kmbrman
April 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
Because the 1911 is such that you can have it as a custom gun with guaranteed accuracy level you could never get in a mass produced pistol. You can buy the performance and level of quality you want, from an import copy to a Les Baer or Wilson Combat or other High End pistols that have world class performance features. The 1911 is in a class of it's own plus 100 years of refinement behind the design . Try getting this from any other design.

EddieNFL
April 3, 2012, 02:04 PM
There's nothing better for practicing various failure drills.:neener:
At a recent IDPA match we had shooters load an empty case to induce a failure. On my stage all but two failed to feed the empty...the two 1911 shooters.

k soze
April 3, 2012, 02:06 PM
At a recent IDPA match we had shooters load an empty case to induce a failure. On my stage all but two failed to feed the empty...the two 1911 shooters.

So they did not have to pull the slide back as far as the others. I would say that is a nice feature

Greg528iT
April 3, 2012, 03:04 PM

I don't see how feeding or not feeding a empty case to be a big deal. I'm surprised other 45s would feed them, but not shocked. The feed ramps generally prefer ball nosed ammo, and for sure not a blunt end sharp case.

Now if you really wanted to throw in various feeding failures, I'd load some magazines with snap caps, something that will guarantee to feed but not go bang. AND some other blanks or empty cases with deliberately kinked cases to create a 3 point jamb or other jamb. You want the shooter to be able to react to different failure modes, not just, NO BANG.

45_auto
April 3, 2012, 03:59 PM
On my stage all but two failed to feed the empty...the two 1911 shooters.

I'm surprised other 45s would feed them

Unless Eddie is using fractured english, the ONLY pistols that fed the empties were the two 1911's - all the rest failed.

76shuvlinoff
April 3, 2012, 04:19 PM
There are many reasons I own one and going into all that is repetitive and redundant to all the positive posts above.

1911, because it really seems to irritate some people's kids..

Hell, I'll make that my new sig line.

Captain33036
April 3, 2012, 04:36 PM
Because when I took off to sail to some of the more remote places, my best friend handed me his Colt .45acp and said, "you should have one of these, just like when you were in the service."

I always trusted my friend, he always gave me great advice.

[And I have a SIG P226 for back up ;) ]

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
Thor was buried with his hammer, that's why.

Greg528iT
April 3, 2012, 05:21 PM
1911, because it really seems to irritate some people's kids..
plus 1

Unless Eddie is using fractured english, the ONLY pistols that fed the empties were the two 1911's - all the rest failed.

You're right, I read it 2 times. swear he meant to say the 1911s fed them,
two failed to feed the empty...the two 1911 shooters.
it was easy to miss the BUT :)

bophi
April 3, 2012, 07:45 PM
bcas, REAL MEN CARRY 1911's.

allaroundhunter
April 3, 2012, 09:25 PM
Greg, he is saying that the two 1911 shooters DID feed the empties.

"All but two failed to feed the empties....the two 1911 shooters."

It is just another way of saying "The only two that didn't fail to feed the empties were the two 1911 shooters."

Greg528iT
April 3, 2012, 10:20 PM
Greg, he is saying that the two 1911 shooters DID feed the empties.

You're right, I read it 2 times. swear he meant to say the 1911s fed them,
DAMMIT, I meant to say...
..."swear he meant to say the 1911s didn't feed them"

I realize the 1911s fed them, NOW!!!! jeez a busy day.

So I just gotta know.. why all (the couple) posts here about 1911s having trouble with hollow points? AN EMPTY Case has gotta be tough relatively.

larryh1108
April 4, 2012, 07:24 AM
Why own a 1911?
Because we can.

1911Tuner
April 4, 2012, 07:41 AM
A better question might be "Why not own one?"

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd feel plumb naked without at least one 1911...one .45 Colt single-action revolver...and one K-Frame Smith.

wickedsprint
April 4, 2012, 07:49 AM
Not all "non-plastic guns" are 1911's. I'm curious too. What does a 1911 have that my W. German Sig P220 doesn't? The CZ97?

A better trigger.

Better dimensions for CCW.

Easier to detail strip.

Alex_100_man_slayer
April 4, 2012, 04:23 PM
You can't forge plastic

Resist Evil
April 4, 2012, 05:01 PM
I think Tuner has the better question.

Resist Evil
April 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
Years ago while I was on the road in Jersey and living with several other men from my local, there was a young man who paid for the cable TV line coming into the flat. He very strongly believed that there would never be a black and white program or movie on it while he was around. He claimed that nothing in B&W was worth watching because it was old and no good. I never found out if he ever used that glass belly button we bought him for Christmas that year. ;)

Sometimes folks on this thread and real life remind me of that kid. :p

Silent Bob
April 4, 2012, 05:47 PM
Why the 1911? Because chasing unruly teenagers off your front lawn with a polymer auto sporting a "Read Manual before Firing" warning on it just doesn't have the same panache.

dboy225
April 4, 2012, 07:16 PM
Because this... is....'MERICA!!!!!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f9ca51-d644-218e.jpg

smalls
April 4, 2012, 07:32 PM
Because they don't make a 1912. :D

Jim PHL
April 4, 2012, 08:51 PM
For me it's many of the reasons already mentioned but mainly because they're so easy to make hits with. When I bought my first, a Springfield "Loaded" model, the first two mags I fired through it at 15 feet could be covered by a tic-tac box. When I take new shooters to the range for the first time we start with .22's, both autos and revolvers, and work our way up through .38's and 9mm's to the .45. They also are usually making good hits with the 1911 the first time they shoot it.

tomaz45
April 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
Why a 1911?
References: J.M. Browning, Alvin York, Jeff Cooper
In case of Emergency: #1. 911
Modern polymer simplicity= lite beer Craftmanship= 12 yr old single malt
Nuf Said

Jaymo
April 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
Just 'cuz.
I didn't need a reason. I just like them.

klw1911
April 5, 2012, 10:48 PM
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand!

klw1911
April 5, 2012, 10:51 PM
American history!

Dr.Rob
April 6, 2012, 06:31 PM
Because you don't pistol whip someone with tupperware. ;)

No other service handgun has a 100 years on it.

OmcCheese
April 6, 2012, 07:46 PM
Because I won one at a Friends of the NRA banquet...

floydster
April 6, 2012, 07:58 PM
Because they don't make a ---1912:) smalls said it best:)

Boanerges57
April 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
how about: Why not?

April 8, 2012, 05:01 PM
How can you resist her beautiful curves and lines? how the safety gracefully compliments the beavertail, the smooth sweep of the cuts on the slide... I have never found a gun, long or short, that fits my hand as well as my Kimber, nor another design that can match her beauty.

Catherine is her name. Few things in life can compare to her :)

PabloJ
April 8, 2012, 05:06 PM
Spare parts are readily available, magazines can be bought at extremely favorable prices and .45ball is cheaper then most quality JHPs for "slimmer calibers"?

PabloJ
April 8, 2012, 05:16 PM
Because this... is....'MERICA!!!!!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f9ca51-d644-218e.jpg
Oh yes......and let us not forget .45 is standard military handgun caliber of the Mexican military. I do like their 'Hecho en Mexico City' pistol better then the 1911.

wwace
April 10, 2012, 02:11 AM
Just ordered my first 1911 because of this thread, not that I hadn't wanted one, I just have so many other guns. I ordered a Springy Loaded something or other. And when she gets here I will fondle the hell out of her!

thedriver101
April 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
Because tupperware should cost $5 a piece, not $500 :neener:

Ironically, I just bought a Glock too...it's ok, my 1911 knows it's still better :)

Armed012002
April 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
It hurts your ego to own an inexpensive Glock, M&P, or XD.

You need to impress your friends with your $3,000 Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or full custom.

Because you enjoy spending a lot of time and money filing and fitting parts to make your 1911 as reliable as a Glock, M&P, or XD.

You like collecting guns more than shooting guns.

You like to show off how knowledgable you are because you know how to make a 1911 reliable. Everyone else just gives up and buys a Glock, M&P, or XD.

You like highly polished blued guns you won't shoot because you're afraid you'll scratch it.

I do like the 1911. But, there's been advancement in the past 100 years. For me, the 1911 is nostalgia. When I want a gun, I'll pick up a 1911. When I need a gun, I'll pick up a Glock, XD, or M&P.

wickedsprint
April 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
I do like the 1911. But, there's been advancement in the past 100 years. For me, the 1911 is nostalgia. When I want a gun, I'll pick up a 1911. When I need a gun, I'll pick up a Glock, XD, or M&P.

Well said.

arthury
April 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
If you can find me trigger that has the same feel, I am all ears.

arthury
April 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
'Cos the 45 acp was designed for the 1911 and they perform perfectly together.

Securitygeek
April 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
Here are three of my favorites to fan the flames:

Truth:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/SecurityGeek/1911outdateddesign.jpg

Looking back:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/SecurityGeek/1911.jpg

Obscure:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk40/SecurityGeek/3-Thulsa-Doom-original.jpg

1SOW
April 11, 2012, 10:50 PM
Why Own A 1911?

Simple, to go with your Harley.

Think about it:
Was it made in the USA?
Has it been around long enough to be proven to last?
Does it have an associated "legend"?
Do they make cool T-Shirts/patches to go with it?
Does it have a very distinctive sound?
Is it exciting to have between your legs.. UH .. UH on your waistband .. Uh .. intimately close to your person?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, you need a Colt 1911 and/or a Harley Davidson, or maybe just a new girlfriend.:neener::cool:

Armed012002
April 11, 2012, 11:39 PM
If you can find me trigger that has the same feel, I am all ears.

Colt Single Action Army, Colt New Frontier, Freedom Arms single action revolvers, and other single action revolvers.

Equally as nostalgic and historic.

Arguably better trigger than a 1911.

kopcicle
April 12, 2012, 03:20 AM
why not ?

~kop

kopcicle
April 12, 2012, 03:23 AM
why not ?

~kop

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 12, 2012, 03:36 AM
History. That's about the only reason why I'd ever own one. 1911s don't fit with my 2:2:2:2 policy of ammo capacity, so I could never carry one.

w6br
April 12, 2012, 03:46 AM
Because, because, it's an All American, as American can be!!:D

Can there be anything better than a REAL COLT 1911????????????

Ron

That's why...

dboy225
April 12, 2012, 12:21 PM
@Ragnar Check out a hi-cap then...my 1911 (or you could call it a 2011) can hold 15+1 .45s with the expected reliability of a single-stack frame

«Sent via Tapatalk for Android»

MisterNoisy
April 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger Trigger. :D

whalerman
April 13, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love Glocks and such, but I have to admit, nothing feels as good in your hand as a 1911.

chrome_austex
April 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Because everyone needs practice with malfunction drills!

clg114
April 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
Because when I look at my 1911A1,I think of General Patton or the Texas Rangers. When I look at my XD45 Tactical,I think of Buck Rogers. I know the XD will better the 1911 in every way,but it's just not the same. 1SOW got it right,it's like the difference between a Harley and a Honda.

wickedsprint
April 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
Good analogy. Harley is infinitely rebuild able and lower performance. The Honda runs longer and is better performing but essentially throwaway once run out.

ttheel
April 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
someone posted earlier because they had soul. I agree with this. I actually owned more modern guns and yes "plastic" guns before I bought my first 1911. The 1911 is my favorite.

wwace
April 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Since it was taking so long to get my Springfield 1911 I ordered I went to the LGS and picked up a SR1911, I couldn't go through the weekend without one.

Greg528iT
April 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
Gen. Patton carried a SSA Colt, revolver.

paperpounder
April 14, 2012, 12:09 AM
It just a great piece of American history. This gun is ingrained into our souls as to what our fathers and grandfathers gave up to defend our right to live free.

Our freedom survives in part due to this gun. Besides, it's just plain ole beautiful.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f964b7-f883-7429.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ChopMeat
April 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
I look at mine like a tool - it hammers nails and hammers heads when out of bullets, plus I can throw it like a hammer too, :)

BlackJackJoe
April 14, 2012, 12:58 AM
Because if God is packin' heat, it's a 1911 for sure.

Carl N. Brown
April 14, 2012, 01:04 AM
Because I own a zippo lighter.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Own A 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!